RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

View Poll Results: What is your PC's primary weapon type?
Assault Rifle 35 41.18%
SMG 4 4.71%
Battle Rifle 31 36.47%
Shotgun 0 0%
Sniper Rifle 5 5.88%
Pistol only 0 0%
Light Machinegun (SAW, L-86, RPK, and similar) 9 10.59%
Medium Machinegun (MAG, PKM, M-60, MG-3) 2 2.35%
other (explain below) 5 5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2010, 05:03 AM

I've seen the match stick trick done, wouldn't fancy firing it full auto though, I reckon you'd be cloud punching

IIRC in the Falklands the Argentinian special forces (Buzo Tactico?) used the FAL Commando which was a shorter barreled version with a folding stock.

Courtesy of wikipedia;
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2010, 01:16 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

Nice, but I am thinking smaller, making it similiar in size to a MP5 in size just with a bigger bullet.

I remember in the 80s they did conversions of HK91s <Civi Model of the G3> where they turned them into what was essentaily an MP5 in 7.62 and I had a NPC who was a excellent gunsmith who made himself one. Just wondering if it had been done with the L1 series.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
Nice, but I am thinking smaller, making it similiar in size to a MP5 in size just with a bigger bullet.

I remember in the 80s they did conversions of HK91s <Civi Model of the G3> where they turned them into what was essentaily an MP5 in 7.62 and I had a NPC who was a excellent gunsmith who made himself one. Just wondering if it had been done with the L1 series.
Not the L1 series but definitely to the FAL in semi-auto and select fire as done by DSA Inc.
http://www.dsarms.com/Mini-SA58-FAL-...fo/SA58OSWNFA/ Select fire
http://www.dsarms.com/Mini-SA58-FAL-...tinfo/SA58OSW/ Semi-auto

Others have done similar work, http://impsec.org/~jhardin/wishlist.html has an image of a short carbine FAL listed as number 6 on his wishlist.
This thread shows a few pics but the interesting one is of the woman firing a shortened FAL - lots of muzzle blast but apparently recoil is okay http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=26519
Old 02-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Resident Medic, Crazy Finn

Depending on the character concept, most characters would probably use an assault rifle, unless the requirements of the group placed them in support weapon duty. A more sniper-style inclined character would most probably use a 7.62 or .338LM sniper rifle as primary with a smg, pdw or a pisto, as a secondary. And should the nation of origin be using M203 or similar system, shotgun can easily be replaced by an APERS round (a canister round, similar but larger than a single shell from a shotgun).
Old 02-26-2012, 07:05 AM
Registered Kraut

Default Another vote for the Battle Rifle

I'd use a battle rifle, if I could lay my hands on one. The stopping ability of the larger projectile is the main argument.

The G3 is a weapon, I'm familiar with. Some were used as DMRs. A scope was added, that can easily be removed. The rifle is not as accurate as a sniper rifle, but I think it would be a good compromise. The G3/SG1 even has a bipod on it. If you like, you can attach a grenade launcher underneath the barrel.

If I were serving with an armoured unit, I might use a G3 carbine. Never shot one IRL, so I don't know, if the recoil would be problematic.

I had no trouble entering or leaving the M113 with a G3. A shorter version might be handier, but I never had any trouble with the G3, even in build-up areas or in woods. I think, it all depends a lot on the practice, you had with your weapon.

The differences between G3 and FN FAL/SLR are significant, but I'd still pick one up, if I could not get a G3. The SLR would not be my first choice, though - no automatic fire! It is an option, that is not allways so important, but I'd like the possibility, to do bursts, if the need arises!

"IT'S A FREAKIN GAME, PEOPLE!"; Weswood, 5-12-2012
Old 02-27-2012, 12:52 AM

Had to go with sniper rifle as the poll asks what is your characters favourite small arm and I prefer to play snipers. Specificly an M21 usually gets my vote.

It was a tough choice though as I've allways felt an RPK (7.62x39) would be ideal. Only a kilo heavier than it's more popular brother the AK. Out ranges it and still has single shot fire but also a higher ROF auto fire, and in Poland in 2000, ammo would be almost, if not the most, common available.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:28 AM

SVD all the way, it may not have more then 10 rds at a time, but its enough. Let some one else on auto fire attract the attention of the enemy.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:40 AM
Registered Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbru View Post
... the poll asks what is your characters favourite small arm ...
Darn, I've overread this
But still: If I had a character to play, I'd let him use a battle rifle. In game terms the differences are not that big, so I could easily add the M14 or M21 to my list.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.T. View Post
The differences between G3 and FN FAL/SLR are significant, but I'd still pick one up, if I could not get a G3. The SLR would not be my first choice, though - no automatic fire! It is an option, that is not allways so important, but I'd like the possibility, to do bursts, if the need arises!
I take it you did not learn the "matchstick trick" that practically half the serving squaddies knew to make the gun automatic fire.

Mostly a sci-fi nut, who plays a few PC games.
I do some technical and vehicle drawings in my native M20 scale. - http://braden1986.deviantart.com/
Old 02-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Registered Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBraden View Post
I take it you did not learn the "matchstick trick" that practically half the serving squaddies knew to make the gun automatic fire.
My PC would have learned the trick, if I was ever to portray a Brit (or Aussie or New Zealander)

Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM

SMG - M45 Bertil

Easy to clean some, details is still something youneed to master.
Good up to 100 m, been there. Never tried beyond.
Did the Guard test. They tried me twice. If you wanna know why those who understand so PM me.

Antenna
Old 04-13-2016, 10:20 AM

Default M-16A2 with M-203 and ACOG

My favorite is the M-16A2 with M-203 and advanced combat optical gunsight.

The rifle is light, accurate and lethal enough. The M-203 gives you a huge advantage in many situations.

The advanced combat optical gunsight gives you improved opportunity for target acquistion/identification and improves chances of hitting targets with rapid engagement. The ACOG is 'mostly grunt proof.'

During the 199Os each USMC squad had 3 M-203s, most had an ACOG, though who 'got it' depended a lot on the leaderships decisions. It might be used by the squad leader or the best shot in the squad might be used as the designated marksman.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:20 PM

When I play I try to play "as real" as I can. Yes the M14 is nice, but carrying one for a long time it gets heavy. But more I just do not have the experience with it that I do the AR. So I would pick the AR, I am not sure why so many want full auto on the battle rifle. For anything less than suppression it is not that effective in real life.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:57 PM

Some of those are stretching the term "small arm"... you didn't have the option of my preferred weapon system, two Redtop missiles and a pair of Aden cannon!
Old 06-13-2020, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default It's Alive!

Based on the new responses on the Favorite APC/IFV thread, I thought a bit of thread necromancy might be in order.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 12-06-2023, 07:42 PM

I would use anything I could get reliably obtain ammo for, be it barter. scrounging, pilferage, or issue. Commonality with the unit would play a part as well.
All things being equal, I would opt for a battle rifle (SKS-M14-FN FAL, in that order) or assault rifle (AK series-M16 series-SA80 series, in that order).
Old 12-12-2023, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I used to drive ROTC cadets crazy using an M-60 as an ad-hoc sniper rifle. Easy to squeeze off single shots using an M-60.
Works great with the MG3 as well. We even were trained in that technique by our instructors.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:47 AM

Arrow

For me, this depends on what the group carries. Personally, I'd go with a G3. Know it, good weapon, reliable and hefty punch. If the group is fire-team sized or above, it needs a main support weapon system with high rate of fire. I was good with a MG3, but a small group benefits more from a LMG I thin than a GPMG. I'd go with a RPD over the RPK, because I think it's cooler. In case the group gets about squad-sized, I'd go with a MG3.

If all weapon categories are already covered, I'd go with an assault rifle and probably be the squad leader.
Old 02-03-2024, 06:51 AM

Default Matchstick L1A1

I have done the matchstick trick, it does work but i can say its a very, very bad idea and would never do it again, but I've allowed players to use the trick but with the penalties i dont think anyone ever hit the broad side of a barn.🤣

Tags
polls, weapons