RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2019, 09:21 PM

Default Memphis...

Has anyone done anything on the Memphis campaign? I dusted off my Balkans campaign and was doing unit histories when I came across the Siege of Memphis. I didn't even remember it.

The 197th had a crazy campaign schedule that looks fun... south to fight the Texian Legion and then north to besiege Memphis.

Any canon/fanon out there?
Old 09-05-2019, 09:57 PM

There's nothing Canon besides the very brief and limited mention in the books.
Other than that, I've come across virtually nothing besides a handful of people who've been involved in games in the region.
Essentially it's a clean slate almost begging for expansion.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 09-05-2019, 10:39 PM
Administrator

It's effectively next door to the Ozarks region of north-central Arkansas, so maybe there's some info about Memphis Airlords of..., but I haven't checked.

Memphis plays a very peripheral role in my southern Arkansas-based 2030 campaign.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 09-06-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
It's effectively next door to the Ozarks region of north-central Arkansas, so maybe there's some info about Memphis Airlords of..., but I haven't checked.
There's quite a bit in there referring to Memphis, but nothing that really details the situation beyond "military presence", "passes required", "potential target" and the fact there is an improvised military hospital in a warehouse.
Page 30-31 has a few paragraphs on the city, but most of that entry details prior events with little on the current (2001) situation. Plenty there though to expand upon, perhaps even into a whole new book should somebody feel like it...

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 09-06-2019, 09:15 AM
Banned

Considering the amount of effort that MilGov went thru to retake Memphis it definitely cries out for almost a Krakow type description. Basically they took one of their last decent sized armored formations with some of the best troops they had in all of the US and used it in an extended siege instead of aiding the drive in Texas where the 49th took it on the chin or sending them to CA to take back Los Angeles and San Diego or AZ to take Phoenix back.

So it had to be damn important - because if they had been in Texas instead basically they would probably have beaten Soviet Division Cuba and retaken most of Central Texas and San Antonio. Same with CA or AZ
Old 09-06-2019, 09:35 AM

It was important but for reasons I've long considered but haven't really been explored... the Mighty Miss!

Airlords has the most information but it's scant. But we do learn that it was because the Overlord of Memphis was extorting commerce/travel on the Mississippi.

I've been kicking around Mississippi ideas for awhile. Howling Wilderness ignores the largest thoroughfare in the country. The river allows transit/trade from north to south and forms a huge border/barrier. Selective control of bridges and dams, destruction of other bridges and you can cut off one side of the nation from the other.

And when you're planning to move thousands of people to the Plains area to avoid starvation... do you want to march them overland? It'd be a heck of a lot easier to transport them by water...

Hmm... now I'm thinking I can merge a few random ideas here.

DANG IT! I was planning on staying focused on my Balkans work!