RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 10-09-2017, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Curious Does anyone here use Bing?

Overnight for some reason Bing, Yandex(Russia Ukraine), and Baidu (China) search engines decided to reindex every page on our site. I don't pay for bandwitdh thank goodness but the sheer number of hits has slowed us down.

I had to simply ban Yandex as the were not following rules and were botting like 30 pages a second. Baidu seems to be behaving after I made some changes but Bing is still hitting us hard. If they don't stop in 24 hours I will have to put in some restrictions.

Long term it might make finding pages harder if you use bing for find stuff on this site. So I was wondering how popular it was.

I use the site search mostly, but using google site search
example
site:forum.juhlin.com EMP kato13

can sometimes be easier.

So I was wondering if people used bing the same way.

It already seems to be slowing down a bit (60 kbs a second compared to 340kbs overnight) so it may not be an issue, but I wanted to make sure I was not making things more complicated for users.

As much as google gets some flak they are efficient in their botting. They have a more complete record of our site than any other and I have never had issues with them overloading us. I think the others are lazy and will simply bot multiple times rather than copy data.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:51 AM
Registered Registrant

I for one, try not to use Bing. It offers no advantage over the search engines I already use (with many of Bing's search results in the past being less relevant than other search engines) and its social media intergration is something I don't need.

I typically use the term "forum juhlin" when I'm away from my own computer and normally use Google or DuckDuckGo to get to this forum. However I've had similar results with WebCrawler, AOL Search or Yandex.

It's only been quite recently that Bing has given the same response time and relevant results as those engines listed above, although Yahoo seems to still be slower than all of them.
Only Dogpile and Search seems to be slower and/or less relevant than Bing.
WolframAlpha and Baidu aren't worth the effort as they still have major problems getting any relevant hits with that search term.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:44 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Yeah I have seen similar. Though I have never really used Yandex.

The underlying issue for this question (over botting) seems to have resolved itself.

I am assuming somewhere this sites ranking went or something got flagged as being interesting (maybe hit a like or comment threshold) and every search engine decided it was super important to update everything right away.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:49 PM

Wink

Kato maybe the Russians and the Chicoms are showing an interest!