RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2009, 10:32 PM

Default OT - Dark Conspiracy 1st Edition [BUNDLE]

I'm thinking of getting the "Dark Conspiracy 1st Edition [BUNDLE]" from rpgdrivethru, more out of interest and because of the great AUD exchange rate at the moment. Does anyone know if the 1st Edition on this site is the GDW rules used in tw2.2 and TNE?
Thanks
Old 09-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Registered Registrant

Dark Conspiracy 1st edition uses the Twilight: 2000 2.0 rules (i.e. 1D10 skill check instead of the 1D20 check), the 2nd edition of Dark Conspiracy uses the rules compatible with the Twilight 2.2 rules. Besides updating the rules to make them compatible with Twilight 2.2 and Traveller TNE, the 2nd edition of Dark Conspiracy uses the same material as the 1st edition

Before you buy the pdfs as a bundle, have you considered buying the CD-ROMs from Far Future Enterprises? There's a lot of extra stuff on the CDs that somewhat alleviates the fact that 2nd edition basically just copied 1st (aside from updating the rules and adding some new adventures).
http://www.farfuture.net/cdroms.html
Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 PM

thanks for the info, I won't be getting it if it uses the d10 version. I hadn't looked into getting the cds - I'll look into it but I would have preferred the convenience of downloading them without worrying about postage to Australia.

thanks again
Old 09-26-2009, 09:58 PM
Registered Registrant

Hmm, looks like I should have done a bit more homework. One of my friends has the Dark Conspiracy stuff and he tells me that one of the 1st edition books "Protodimensions", actually has instructions in it for updating the rules to be compatible with Twilight 2.2
However he also said that the equipment and general skills use isn't locked into the rules-set and so it's easy to use 1st edition stuff with the Twilight 2.2 rules with very little conversion (and in some cases none) needed - especially as most of the equipment was just ported over from Twilight 2nd edition in the first place. the most obvious thing is that vehicles have a cruise speed instead of a travel speed but the main rulesbook already has a conversion guide in it to allow the use of Twilight vehicles with Dark Conspiracy and vice versa.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:05 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Kellhound

I can confirm that, aside small details, is perfectly compatible with 2.2 edition.
After all, I've been GMing Dark Conspiracy for years (even more than other GDW games), and never with it's own ruleset.