RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 12-29-2018, 08:04 AM

Default Morally difficult weapons, equipment and actions

Everyone plays to their own playstyle and it's not my place to lecture people on how to do that. However, some of the things from the initial printing of The Morrow Project raises questions today. A classic case for this is flame weapons.

Most nations ban flame weapons. There is a good reason for this, using 'horror weapons' has the effect of hardening enemy resolve to fight on after the immediate effect of the weapon is over.

The Morrow Project placed flame weapons in store when the US military still used them. After the US military retired these weapons does The Morrow Project remove them?

The big problem is, of course, that the targets of these weapons are potential US citizens by default. Now warfare involves killing people and trying to deny that is stupid, but the more I think about it the more The Project's activities seem to be more a 'police action' that 'invading and seizing territory'.

Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2018, 10:05 AM

The other potential use for flame weapons is to help clear a biologically contaminated area. Burning the bodies of the dead and contaminated wood structures that would be difficult or impossible to make safe by chemical decontamination would be a use since the flame weapons would be very effective sources of ignition.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin798 View Post
The other potential use for flame weapons is to help clear a biologically contaminated area. Burning the bodies of the dead and contaminated wood structures that would be difficult or impossible to make safe by chemical decontamination would be a use since the flame weapons would be very effective sources of ignition.
That might justify having them appear in Project stocks, in limited quantities, in designated roles (although there are better ways to do a controlled burn). It doesn't justify having them as a Team member's primary weapon.

I never allowed them to be issued.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:19 AM

Historically, flame weapons are used to clear bunkers, pillboxes, etc. If tear gas does not clear out the defenders then flame becomes the default. Was a backpack flame thrower a standard weapon kit in any edition of MP?
Old 12-30-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyT0001 View Post
Historically, flame weapons are used to clear bunkers, pillboxes, etc. If tear gas does not clear out the defenders then flame becomes the default. Was a backpack flame thrower a standard weapon kit in any edition of MP?
Yes from 1st thru 4th editions. Never did figure a reason why it was in the game in the first place. Not sure how you are going to be able to store fuel in a usable form for 150 yrs.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:28 AM

And the Project should not be expecting to clear out many pillboxes or bunkers anyway. Really, flamethrowers are a better weapon against the Project than for it.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
That might justify having them appear in Project stocks, in limited quantities, in designated roles (although there are better ways to do a controlled burn). It doesn't justify having them as a Team member's primary weapon.

I never allowed them to be issued.
I have never had them at the team level either. It just does not have a good use for any team, other than the limited example I had.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:40 AM

If there's a culture of 'Villain Preppers' there might well be bunkers, or at least an expectation of them.

In my mind the flame weapons are taken out in the last update of the stocks, although some might be overlooked/left because the stocks are too difficult to access
Old 01-01-2019, 08:40 AM

There are also bolt rockets that fire nerve agent, a megaton yield nuclear weapon. I think the flame thrower might be less of an issue than these.

Flame throwers might be great against blue undead. However, the blue undead make no sense at all