RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2023, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Question Polish Free Congress

What do we know about the PFC? There's not a whole lot of information about the organization in canon, AFAIK.

As of Going Home, the PFC is located in Pila, Poland. Prior to the Warsaw Pact's Summer 2000 counter-offensive, it operated out of Poznan. There are a few Polish partisan and regular army units identified as being loyal to the PFC, but most of them don't appear until autumn, 2000.

During German III Army's Summer 2000 offensive, the 1st Polish Free Legion (formerly 1st Polish BGB) is the only PFC-affiliated unit that I can identify. The 2nd Polish Free Legion's status in the summer of 2000 is unclear.

As of October, 2000, the Polish 1st Tank Army, including the 5th Tank Division, 13th Cavalry Division, and the Chodziez Miiicya (fomerly Polish 7th BGB) have thrown in with the PFC. The 2nd Polish Free Legion, meanwhile, has been taken over by Major Anders and gone rogue.

How did the PFC manage to grow its military forces between July and November of 2000, especially in light of NATO's recent heavy defeat?

What is the PFC's relationship with NATO? What's its relationship with the US XI Corps units that do not evacuate Europe during OMEGA?

What is the PFC's structure? What are its political platforms? Short-term and long-term goals?

Aside from a few brief references to individuals working for the PFC in Black Madonna, and its modest efforts to recover the icon, I can't find any substantial pieces of information about the PFC in canon. I'm hoping this community can help dig up some additional information. I'm also curious about how T2k Ref's and world-builders have utilized the PFC, and fleshed it out, in their own T2kU's.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/...-waters-module
Old 08-18-2023, 08:40 PM

I had the PFC being the civilian government of the Third German Army/XI Corps cantonment area while also assembling/arming/training a military force. In my campaigns, I had one of the goals of the NATO summer offensive being to cover the withdrawal of the Germans to Jutland (which is where they show up without explanation in "Going Home"), and their positions in the line were taken by PFC units. Thus, the PFC was a free national government, with an army, controlling Polish territory, and could lay claim to having "expelled" the Germans, which is something the Pact government could never claim. In my games, that ends up being the reason for the enthusiasm for the PFC, and why Polish units begin to defect (also, the Third German Army/XI Corps cantonment areas have a reputation for security and food production, so they're attractive areas to settle).
Old 08-19-2023, 02:12 PM

Someone here, maybe 5 years back, pointed out that the Polish government-in-exile from WW2 still existed until 1991, so I followed that lead, and the PFC was those people, both covertly preceding and openly following in the wake of the 1997 NATO offensive into Poland. Maybe one or another NATO intel agency, British or American, is their chief sponsor.

After the 1997 pullback, the PFC and NATO intelligence groups supported partisan movements and intel networks in Poland, including encouraging unit defections such as the 1st & 2nd PFL.

IMC, I like the idea that part of the 2000 Baltic coast offensive was to support a wider unit-defection scheme that didn't work out/disrupted by the KGB. As part of the fallout from that, those formations mentioned above belatedly switched sides. Why they did that when there's still Soviets in Poland, I'm not sure, but perhaps it's because there aren't many Soviet formations in their part of Poland, and they're hoping they can rally enough people and other assets to start pushing the Soviets back.

So, to answer your above questions, I'd say it's generally pro-NATO and friendly to the XI US Corps stay-behinds. They may have even encouraged that decision, to support that pushback campaign as next summer's military goal?

I imagine its longer-term political goals are a non-Communist, anti-Soviet Poland. I'd like to think its goals aren't the restoration of the 1939 borders, but that's certainly a possibility among its no-longer-exiled leadership?
Old 08-19-2023, 08:17 PM

I like the idea of the core leaders of the PFC being part of the Polish Govt in Exile - especially because in my canon, they are out of touch with the Polish population at large, and often overpromise / underdeliver to the American and NATO forces.

I'm trying to figure out an Ahmed Chalabbi type character who has sweettalked some military and civilian leaders with promises of a groundswell of support for the NATO liberation of Poland as part of the groundwork for Advent Crown. Perhaps he's been deposed well before 2000, but I like the idea that the PFC is something of a non-entity for most of the war.

Adm Lee's suggestion of them taking over some of the territory abandoned by the Third German Army and claiming to have driven out the German invaders, could make them more popular and even a bit more effective by the end of 2000.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Interesting takes, gentlemen. Thank you.

Although it could be mere coincidence that both the PFC and US XI Corps are located in NW Poland in late 2000, I've always felt that there must some sort of direct relationship between the two "factions"- largely amicable, being as, at the very least, they have a common Soviet enemy. It seems substantially more than coincidence that the only corps-sized NATO formation still on Polish soil as 2000 nears an end shares the same corner of the country as the PFC and its new, former-Polish army corps-strength formation (Polish 1st Tank Army). That whole situation is ripe for strategy-level political and military intrigue, IMHO.

What do y'all use as the PFC's symbol? Poland's used more or less the same flag since achieving national independence. It strikes me as somewhat delegitimizing to change it during WWIII. At the same time, using the same national flag as the pro-Soviet, communist Lublin regime would cause considerable confusion.

In keeping with the idea that the PFC is a direct descendant of the Polish government-in-exile of the WW2 era, they might re-adopt the Kotwica (anchor) symbol of the Polish Home Army (see image).

What would military units loyal to the PFC use for battlefield recognition purposes? Since the PFC-affiliated units that we've so far identified were once parts of the Polish Army (some as recently as a couple of months prior to Autumn, 2000), they'd be kitted out in a very similar, if not identical fashion, as pro-Lublin Polish forces, so a distinct recognition symbol of some sort would be an absolute necessity.
Attached Images

Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, the gear-book, Baltic Boats, and the co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

Last edited by Raellus; 08-20-2023 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2023, 03:24 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

This makes me wonder how much ex-American military equipment the Polish Free Congress will inherit after TF34 sets sail.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 08-20-2023, 05:57 PM

Just throwing an idea out there: the PFC's influence can come from organizational ability rather than just military power. If the PFC can better organize distribution of supplies, food generation, and just generally be a more responsive government than the Soviet-aligned Polish government it would give people a reason to throw in with it.

In Europe 1998 is going to be a harrowing year. Some governments will do better than others organizing and administering amidst the chaos. If the PFC can do a better job feeding and housing people they'll attract support. That support will just snowball if they keep delivering on promises.

A military unit interested in defending the populace will be attracted to such a government. From their perspective why support Moscow's military ambitions if Moscow isn't providing meaningful support to their countrymen?
Old 08-21-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claidheamh View Post
Adm Lee's suggestion of them taking over some of the territory abandoned by the Third German Army and claiming to have driven out the German invaders, could make them more popular and even a bit more effective by the end of 2000.
I didn't think I said that, but I'll take credit for it, just like the PFC taking credit for the retreat of the German corps that had been backing the US XI Corps. That could be an interesting area for a PC group's exploration, the zone west of the American new cantonment and the Oder River. Maybe some gear got left behind, and it would be no-man's-land between the Americans, the PFC, and any Soviets that were following the retreating Germans (a pair of cavalry divisions, IIRC?). Now I think on it, doesn't the Danish Jutland Division go home between July and October, either thru there or by sea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
This makes me wonder how much ex-American military equipment the Polish Free Congress will inherit after TF34 sets sail.
Not sure what you mean here, since the US XI Corps didn't leave during Op. Omega?

The flag+anchor is probably as good an emblem as any other, I'll hang on to that idea.

Last edited by Adm.Lee; 08-21-2023 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:52 PM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
Not sure what you mean here, since the US XI Corps didn't leave during Op. Omega?
Going Home, p. 38:

Quote:
Each character may take up to 100 kgs of personal property.
Certain items must, however, be turned in to the high command.
These include food, heavy weapons (including ammunition and
spares for these weapons), vehicles (and spares), medical equipment
and supplies, and fuel (of whatever sort). Food and medical
supplies will be placed in a centralized storage facility and issued
as needed. Vehicles, and other bulk supplies will be left with
the German army in Bremerhaven.
The characters are told they
will be re-equipped when they arrive back in America.
(Emphasis mine.)

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 08-21-2023, 09:51 PM

Yes, that was the deal negotiated between MilGov and the German Government. And frankly it would have been a price MilGov happily paid. Without a great deal of German support and assistance, the evacuation would have been much more difficult at best, impossible at worst.
Old 08-22-2023, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
Just throwing an idea out there: the PFC's influence can come from organizational ability rather than just military power. If the PFC can better organize distribution of supplies, food generation, and just generally be a more responsive government than the Soviet-aligned Polish government it would give people a reason to throw in with it.

In Europe 1998 is going to be a harrowing year. Some governments will do better than others organizing and administering amidst the chaos. If the PFC can do a better job feeding and housing people they'll attract support. That support will just snowball if they keep delivering on promises.
That's a great point. To do so, however, the PFC would need adequate military power to protect infrastructure, supply stockpiles, distribution points, etc. As you pointed out, being well-organized and focused on helping the civilian population could very well win the hearts and minds of more humane Polish Army commanders, and that would get the military backing to protect the PFC's rebuilding efforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
Good question. I doubt that many motorized vehicles* (AFVs, trucks, Humvees, etc.) would be intentionally left behind by US forces leaving Poland- they'd most likely end up in Germany. US troops would need their vehicles to get to Bremerhaven before the convoy sails. From there, I think it would depend on what the Germans decide to do with all of those "donated" US vehicles. Would the Germans disburse some of those "donated" US vehicles to the PFC? Quite possibly. It would depend a lot on relations between the two Governments (Unified Germany and the PFC).

Assuming Germany wants to maintain a buffer against renewed Soviet aggression, then giving relinquished US vehicles to the PFC makes a lot of sense. However, Germany might be more focused on ejecting French forces from its soil. That being the case, I think the Germans would keep the bulk of "donated" US vehicles for themselves.

*Non-SP artillery, on the other hand, probably would be left in situ, consequently ending up in the hands of the PFC.

-

Last edited by Raellus; 08-22-2023 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I doubt that many motorized vehicles* (AFVs, trucks, Humvees, etc.) would be intentionally left behind by US forces leaving Poland- they'd most likely end up in Germany. US troops would need their vehicles to get to Bremerhaven before the convoy sails. From there, I think it would depend on what the Germans decide to do with all of those "donated" US vehicles. Would the Germans disburse some of those "donated" US vehicles to the PFC? Quite possibly. It would depend a lot on relations between the two Governments (Unified Germany and the PFC).

Assuming Germany wants to maintain a buffer against renewed Soviet aggression, then giving relinquished US vehicles to the PFC makes a lot of sense. However, Germany might be more focused on ejecting French forces from its soil. That being the case, I think the Germans would keep the bulk of "donated" US vehicles for themselves.

*Non-SP artillery, on the other hand, probably would be left in situ, consequently ending up in the hands of the PFC.
-
This is what I was thinking: Hardly any American equipment would be left in Poland for the PFC, since the XI Corps isn't leaving in the first place, and the heavy stuff left behind by the rest of the US Army would be in Bremerhaven, on the far side of Germany. Unless the Germans (who seem to be a committe of Army commanders?) have an agreement with the PFC, why would they ship any of that stuff back across Germany, to another army, allied or not?

Having said all that, maybe-- if the newly-unified Germans wanted leverage over the PFC in 1997-98-- they could have sponsored the formation of some PFC units by donating some of the East German gear & vehicles as they upgrade East units to FRG establishment.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
That's a great point. To do so, however, the PFC would need adequate military power to protect infrastructure, supply stockpiles, distribution points, etc. As you pointed out, being well-organized and focused on helping the civilian population could very well win the hearts and minds of more humane Polish Army commanders, and that would get the military backing to protect the PFC's rebuilding efforts.
-
While the PFC would need some military power, they wouldn't necessarily need field armies for garrisons and protecting convoys. With high popular support they'd be stable to stand up militias in areas with important infrastructure. In the post-TDM chaos and before the last offensive of the XI Corps (and Russian counteroffensive) areas of PFC influence were likely more concerned with marauder groups and the like rather than major armored/mechanized formations. Militia forces would be largely sufficient for that defense until the PFL sided with the PFC.
Old 08-22-2023, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adm.Lee View Post
Having said all that, maybe-- if the newly-unified Germans wanted leverage over the PFC in 1997-98-- they could have sponsored the formation of some PFC units by donating some of the East German gear & vehicles as they upgrade East units to FRG establishment.
I really like that idea. Whatever military arm the PFC would have been directing on Polish soil during the first few years of the Twilight War would most likely be equipped with captured Polish military equipment, so there wouldn't be compatibility issues with former DDR gear.

The Lublin gov't would use any evidence of German material support for the PFC to claim that the PFC is a catspaw for the "revanchist" Unified German gov't. Even in the 1990s, there are probably enough Poles left with very unpleasant first-hand memories of life under German occupation, 1939-'45. I imagine that there would be some underlying unease there, especially if the Lublin gov't had done a good job blaming the whole war on German aggression (an argument the USSR would also certainly make).

Discussing PFC-German connections makes me wonder how much popular support the PFC would have had amongst the Polish people. I wonder what percentage of Poles would consider the PFC to be the legitimate government of their country, what percentage would see it as an illegitimate pretender (and thus an enemy entity), and what percentage wouldn't take it seriously either way.

This all assumes a cooperative relationship between the PFC and NATO. Is there any evidence in canon that this wasn't the case?

-

Last edited by Raellus; 08-23-2023 at 04:40 PM.