RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Home of the Maniacs

abaumgartg 09-28-2005, 09:59 AM I posted this on a yahoogroups page, so if some of you get it twice I appologize. But folks here have come up with some great ideas for adventures. I though I would post this here to get some feedback (i.e. ideas for improvments).

Dworshak Dam is located on the north fork of the Clearwater River, just outside of Orofino, Idaho. For the most part, this is a recreational dam, with a major steelhead hatchery, and minimal power generation. The North Fork comes out of the steep and rugged Bitterroot Mountains. The Dworshak reservoir is somewhere around 50 miles long (hard to say exactly where it changes from river to reservoir). The town of Orofino is located precariously located just below the dam. The fish hatchery is located along a diverted channel of the North Fork, on the edge of Orofino.

Besides Dworshak Dam, Orofino, Idaho is "famous" for 2 things, an incredibly high teen pregnancy rate and the state psychiatric hospital, largely populated with the criminally insane. The local high school team mascot is (are?) "The Maniacs", the logo is a person who has lost it and needs a straight jacket, the town boosts that it is the home of the maniacs. Maybe you see where this is going...

Sorry to those of you who stick to the canon. But controlling Idaho is silly. Northern Idaho has too many mountains, non-arable land, harsh winters in the mountains, etc, etc. Moving NA into the Columbia valley seems *so* much more ralistic. I also have NA in southern Idaho. But the north would become wild with pockets of "civilization".

NA is trying to move into northern Idaho from the west. Not just for the great outdoors (incredible fishing and hunting), but also for much needed resources and "recruits." The hostility between the "whites" and "injuns" has the NA leadership that, once they establish themselves they can win the hearts and minds of the people (or you know, brainwash the minds and kill the heart, but whatever). The problem is that, for the most part, the people are so damn independent they are resisting NA. So, at least for now, NA limited itself to well-armed 10-50 soldier LRRRP (that's Long Range Recon and Recruiting Patrols).

*As an aside, the racial differences between whites and Native Americans have been greatly diluted in the 100 years since the area was settled. Some folks are obviously Native American, but in others this difference is not so easy to see; especially for outsiders. This does not make the difference not real or insignificant, but for the most part it is cultural, not racial (and many people who have zero Native American blood have sided with the injuns; especially the area's few minorities).*

So as NA is pushing into northern Idaho for resources and recruits, one community stands strong, if slightly insane against the push. Do not confuse insane with incompetent, and certainly not unintelligent. It did not take long for the guards to realize they could no longer take care of the inmates. For a while the ex-guards made "drop-offs", food and other necessities for the locked up inmates, but as things became more desperate, these drop-offs became less and less common. Once winter set in, a few of the more intelligent inmates organized the incarcerated and broke out (the guards and local population didn't have the heart to outright kill the inmates, but where terrified at what they would do if they were set free). The ensuing slaughter of the local population provided food for most of the regions harsh winter.

The group formed a mini-army, equipped in part with the local high school uniforms (especially the football helmets). They now call themselves the Orofino Maniacs, and give new meaning to the town's slogan, "Home of the Maniacs."

Determined to extract their revenge on the world that abandoned them (and you know, being criminally insane), the Maniacs regularly raid many of the white settlements. Recruitment has not been a problem, quite the opposite. So many folks in this area have "lost it", that the Maniacs' numbers have swelled so much that they now easily control the town (this includes the hatchery), dam, and southern part of the reservoir (nearest the town). This community is remarkably stable. Ironically their organization functions in a similar fashion to NA. There are a few real leaders. These are the same folks who organized the original uprising. Perhaps only the insane know how to govern the insane (or a least stomach it). Below that, it is a remarkably smooth free for all. Rank seems mostly determined by those who can obtain, and maintain ownership, of the Maniac paraphernalia obtained from the high school.

Folks seem to gravitate towards their natural aptitude. Some Maniacs have proven to be amazing at aquaculture, which supplies a lot of food for the army. Others have been able to get some power production up and going (although this is pretty minimal). The power has allowed the local nursery to be converted to a small scale food production greenhouse. Other Maniacs have proven to be adroit hunters. And the raids are always a good addition to the local diet.

I don't mean to imply that this is a peaceful orderly town. Just that the locals seem to understand and accept how it runs. The wheels almost came off for Orofino. But NA has unwittingly stabilized the Maniac Army with its increasing raids on the area. Seems the maniacs' two requirements are chaos and violence.

Any and all comments are welcome!

DeaconR 09-28-2005, 02:48 PM This is very interesting but I have some questions and some ideas for fleshing it out.

First of all, I think that in the canon of the books the New Americans merely control the Snake River Basin area, not all of Idaho. To me that makes a certain degree of sense.

Second: I think the general idea is quite cool and would be a weird challenge, but there are some questions I'd have.

1. Aren't most dangerous inmates usually on drug therapy? This tends to put them out of physical condition and is a bewildering state to be in. Of course they could have run out of the necessary drugs, and I think that that should be an element of the history.

2. How did they rally together? Why did they not simply disperse into small groups? Surely they must have had some kind of leadership.

3. How were they able to overwhelm the local population?

4. What kind of maniacs are they, exactly?

abaumgartg 09-30-2005, 04:09 PM Good questions... I didn't really think about the drugs. I just sort of "assumed away" that level of detail. After the twilight settles in there just isn't a supply of those sorts of things. Done deal. Same with the leadership. I had left it at "there were leaders who organized the inmates."

But your question made me address it.

Frank Stolz was a clinical psychiatrist in Salem, Oregon. Frank is a man of small stature. As a child he learned to use his wits, humor, and charm to manipulate the more athletic kids to prevent them from bullying him. Later he used this influence to be included as one of the "cool kids."

Frank was a smart child from reasonably wealthy parents, he liked his life and did what was expected; he went to college after high school. At Harvard Frank discovered the world of psychology. He loved getting into others minds, understanding the insane, and through that process, cure them. Or at least help.

After the necessary graduate and medical school, Frank took a job at the Oregon State psychiatric ward outside of Salem, Oregon. With his almost obsessive devotion to the criminally insane, Frank was quickly building an enviable career. It seemed he was bound for greatness. That was until he met the patient Sally G, who had a habit of making her lovers disappear. And while Frank had met some tricky characters, nothing had prepared him for the likes of Sally G.

Frank had become her greatest challenge yet. And although she couldn't totally finish the job, she did get him caught with his pants down, quite literally. Sally had planned this out for some time; ensuring that, while she may not be able to kill Frank, she would be able to get him incarcerated. Knowing the system as well as he did, Frank used his remaining pull and knowledge on the subject to get him sent to a psychiatric institute rather than the big house. For his own protection, Frank was sent to the mental ward in Orofino, Idaho rather than in Salem.

But Sally wasn't done. She planned and waited, and roughly a year after Franks incarceration she escaped and headed to Orofino. There she "befriended" several of the guards, and using her own unique influence, arranged for Frank to experience a fate worse than hell. The guards, under the false impression that Frank was a serial pedophiliac, (Due to Sally's influence and misinformation), arranged for nightly visits from some of the more "amorous" male inmates. After several months of this, Frank snapped. Determined to extract revenge on the society that had betrayed him, he put his knowledge of the criminally insane to work. At first just for survival, but he was always planning for that "one day" when opportunity would present itself.

This opportunity came as the effects of the Twilight War reached the sleepy town of Orofino, Idaho. As concerns far more pressing than the health of the prisoners settled in, the guards became more and more involved in salvaging spare parts and gathering food for their own survival than properly caring for the inmates. Frank, using all of his knowledge, charm, manipulation skills, and every mental jujitsu maneuver he could muster against the other prisoners, established himself as the single most dominant inmate in the facility. This dominance combined with his extensive knowledge of psychiatric and pharmaceutical knowledge made him the logical person to run the hospital from the inside. :cells:

Frank used this power, knowledge, and especially his control over the medicine, to create a loyal and reasonably organized army (if somewhat unruly). When winter set in and the Orofino residents were hunkered in for the cold weather, Frank extracted his revenge. He could have arranged a break out long before, but he was waiting. Leading a small band, Frank used some of the more dependable inmates to pose as marauders making night raids for much needed weapons. During this time Frank wound the inmates' psychoses tighter than piano wire. :crucified

The first part of the takeover was well orchestrated. Key strategic spots were neutralized using the more commandable troops. Once the defenses were gone Frank unleashed the rest of the inmates on the village. It was like hell's tortured souls were set free for an evening.

The interesting part was when Frank saw Sally. She was, not too successfully, trying to fend off three maniacs. When he saw her he had a moment of clarity. Not only did he realize that she was the one responsible for his earlier hell, but he finally diagnosed her. Frank stepped in, and greeted her. He extended her forgiveness in return for her forgiving him. He welcomed her to their group as a sister. She would prove to be essential in establishing and keeping order for the first few months.

Many of the inmates never returned after the first night. Some were killed while others just ran off. But the world after the Twilight War is never short of folks "round the bend", and Frank has proven to be a master of utilizing these folks.

Once NA established an outpost in the region, Frank sent Sally there as his spy (still playing around with where that will be. Probably Lewiston, Idaho/Clarkton, WA).

The irony of course is that Frank has finally reached the ultimate goal of his earlier career, transforming the criminally insane into functional members of society. Who cares if this society is itself criminally insane...

TiggerCCW UK 10-01-2005, 04:26 AM Like it. Like it a lot.

DeaconR 10-01-2005, 07:50 AM This is taking shape nicely and is very thorough character work btw, kudos. I would say that the main theme to such a setting should in fact be insanity or skewed viewpoints. After all the world of TW2000 is odd to begin with. I very much in particular like the reconciliation of Frank and Sally (such deceptively ordinary names).

abaumgartg 10-02-2005, 02:24 PM First of all, I think that in the canon of the books the New Americans merely control the Snake River Basin area, not all of Idaho. To me that makes a certain degree of sense.

I meant to respond to this part, but seem to have forgotten. The reason I have a problem with the cannon stating that NA controls the Snake River basin, is that the Snake River is over 1000 miles long and the drainage area is someplace along the lines of 72,000 sq miles. This is roughly the size of Syria.

The drainage begins in western Wyoming and runs west through southern Idaho, north separating Idaho from Oregon, then Washington, before turning west again to meet the Columbia.

The Southern part of the river basin is called the Snake River Plain. This is what I think GDW was referring to. This area is quite arid, but the land is very arable when irrigated, which is relatively easy to do in this flat region (think Idaho potatoes).

The middle stretch of the river runs north through the Sawtooth and to a lesser degree Bitterroot Mountains. There is *no way* any group controls much of this region. Honestly, the federal government maintains less control here than in most part of the country. Not only that, but even today this reach of the river is navigable only by serious rafters, kayakers, and the like. I can bore you ad nauseum about why nobody will control this area, but will spare you (for now).

Once the river meets up with the Clearwater things become manageable again. While there are 5 dams between the Columbia and Hells Canyon, adventurous souls (like the crazed NA troopers) could probably maintain some sort of water transportation on this part of the river without these dams be operational (they serve to make Lewiston, Idaho an international port much more than they do as power generators).

I didn't mean to be so long winded again. I also do not intend this to be critical of GDW's work. I just think there are lots of important details that can make gaming in this area a lot more interesting and fun. Besides, if anyone runs a game on this river, being able to run away and hide in the mountains might just give the PC's a chance at survival (maybe).

ReHerakhte 10-02-2005, 04:58 PM ** Warning -- Some people might find the following nothing much more than a dribbling mess of boring, self-indulgent nostalgia but HEY, I've got Monday off from work and I've been up late every night consuming too much coffee so I'm in a weird frame of mind!

I think we have all found instances in gaming products where the canon info didn't match what we knew to be correct, for instance, when I first started playing RPGs the first game I was ever in was AD&D 2nd Ed. When told that my PC could only fire two arrows in a minute I objected strenously, my argument being that in the real world I had been in a few archery clubs and could easily get ten arrows away with a reasonable chance of hitting the target in one minute.

It turns out that the folks making AD&D did know that 2 arrows a minute was unrealistic, but their plan was to force people into melee with the bad guys rather than have them stand back and waste them all in a barrage of arrows. So they sacrificed realism for 'adventurous' game play.

So what is the point I am trying to make (besides boring everyone to death!)?

Considering the huge amount of material GDW were putting out and the average cost per size of the product, I get the impression they were trying to give 'overall' knowledge rather than focusing on specifics. So considering the info we have seen on this forum about Idaho from people with personal knowledge, I don't feel that it is being critical of GDW to detail that personal knowledge. I see it as clarifying specific details on a subject and I actually quite enjoy reading it even if I don't use it myself.

I don't think you can reasonably expect a company to spend ages making the product super detailed when they need to get product on the shelves to make money and they need to create the next batch of product etc.

And that's enough 'crapping on' from me... maybe I'll drink less coffee next time...

Cheers,

Kevin

DeaconR 10-03-2005, 12:19 AM I didn't mean to be so long winded again. I also do not intend this to be critical of GDW's work. I just think there are lots of important details that can make gaming in this area a lot more interesting and fun. Besides, if anyone runs a game on this river, being able to run away and hide in the mountains might just give the PC's a chance at survival (maybe).

Actually I wouldn't worry about it, it's cool. I didn't know that for instance, but I now realize that it would be like saying "so and so group occupies the Fraser River Valley". Anyway, what you wrote makes a lot of sense. Let's be honest, there are flaws in the game, and as ReHerakte said game writers often do things for the sake of fun and not realism. This is the same as me writing changes in the nuke list for my game set in the US simply because some of it didn't make that much sense when you thought about it.

abaumgartg 10-22-2005, 10:30 AM I am curious what other areas in the US have people fleshed out.

What other areas in the world have people fleshed out?

:flame:

DeaconR 10-23-2005, 06:25 AM Right now I'm running "Armies of the Night" but I'm fleshing out the areas outside of Manhattan.

In my setting several novel influences have come into play, and I have expanded on the idea of the dements to create something like what happens in the novel "The Fog" (not the film, a very different case scenario) crossed with the film "28 Days Later" so that rather than the war between the Mayor and the Duke Manhattan was overrun with lunatics. Many of these have died in a recent winter, but there are enough left to make salvage and travel in Manhattan difficult. The two main elements of trying to survive in the area are (apart from the devastation of course) the dements and the long and very cold and yet rather dry winter.

The players have been sent largely as the security force for a USAMRIID team sent to investigate and possibly reestablish the facilities on Plum Island. This they found abandoned and have been exploring. Nearby Long Island lies in wait for exploration as well.

I have decided to make Long Island (which is actually a fairly large area) home to several surviving communities of various types. Some of them are just small fishing villages trying to eke out a living, while one of them is a decent sized town which was fortunate enough to have good leadership determined upon survival. At least one community will be somewhat isolationist and full of religious fanatics. Long Island's survivors are among prime targets for extortion by a group of pirates out of Staten Island.

The survivors in the Bronx are almost like communities in the Dark Ages; they have fortified themselves against gangs and dements and are wary of strangers, entertaining only well known traders from other communities. I have included among these some rather ethnically oriented communities like Black Muslims. The communities range from ones led by a sort of civic council to ones led by those who simply are rich and powerful to for instance the Black Muslim one, led by a religious charismatic personality.

Roosevelt Island is populated by a closed rather secretive community working on a project somewhat related to the Morrow Project game. Involving intense disease research, cryogenics research and the like, it is struggling to maintain resources to keep going.

firewalker 10-23-2005, 09:27 PM this wouldn't be the book with the ground being split open in England to relse some mysteries mind altering fog would it? Or another way of putting it, when it became a bad day to work in a boy's boarding school

DeaconR 10-23-2005, 10:02 PM the same one. I liked the idea that the madness is not just wild ferocity but takes many forms, the players are really freaked out by it.

Antenna 10-23-2005, 10:51 PM What other areas in the world have people fleshed out?

I think my pages NOT have bypassedd you unnoticed

Antenna

Blackrider 10-23-2005, 11:36 PM out of bordom i worked on places in the us... cumberland gap, jacksonville. savannah Ga. Mobile////

anyone interested in my notes?

firewalker 10-23-2005, 11:44 PM most of the time i base my small town's off of the peaple and places in novels.

small aplaction town? maggoty series or the hangman's beautiful daughter, small isolated costal village (possibly Scottish) the Hamish mcbeath mysteries. the longer running series tend to have lot's of local coller already present you just have to slap some statistics on em.

i also try and base a lot of stuff in my home county or state. dose any body else find them selvs whill there imagining what there neborhood or hometown would look like after the twilight war? or am i the only one that spends time planning out earth works when i go for a walk.

abaumgartg 10-24-2005, 06:35 AM out of bordom i worked on places in the us... cumberland gap, jacksonville. savannah Ga. Mobile////

anyone interested in my notes?

I would be most interested in seeing any notes you are willing to share.

i also try and base a lot of stuff in my home county or state. dose any body else find them selvs whill there imagining what there neborhood or hometown would look like after the twilight war? or am i the only one that spends time planning out earth works when i go for a walk.

I have to admit that yesterday, as I had a walk with my wife on a lovely autumn day, I was imagining the houses we passed as they may be in a t2k setting. Which one would I try to secure, etc. Yup, I'm much older than when I started playing, but no less geeky

pmulcahy 10-24-2005, 02:14 PM I am curious what other areas in the US have people fleshed out.

What other areas in the world have people fleshed out?

:flame:

I once had San Antonio fleshed out, but my notes were one of the things lost whan I ETSed from Ft. Bragg