RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Banned

Default Corpus Christi in Olefin's T2KU campaign

I am starting this thread as a suggestion from one of the moderators here on how I might present the differences in my campaign world that started as a player and now continue over to me as a GM. As such this is presented for discussion and information and not to be seen as "official" in any way except as how it pertains to my campaign.

My GM had us play both in the Gateway to the Spanish Main and in Last Submarine Trilogy as he wanted to do a naval element in our play (mainly because we added a couple of Navy ROTC guys to our group). There were differences in Gateway as well that I may get to one day but for now will just start with the Corpus Christi.

As such one thing he noticed immediately was how the Corpus Christi in Gateway is supposed to sink the freighter with the Cubans on board in Nov2000 - but according to Last Submarine by then Carlucci had her and she was not only unarmed but not in any condition to sail at that time.

So how did he resolve that conundrum?

Answer: He changed Last Submarine to fit the events of the Gateway to the Spanish Main by having the USN still have the Corpus Christi in her possession. However she didnt have any torpedoes left on board and she needed parts for her fire control system and other items (i.e. thus working the dud torpedoes from Gateway into the equation)

In addition he introduced three other USN subs that were stranded in various parts of Europe needing parts to be able to become operational again, all of which had last been seen in the USN sub base in CT before it was overrun or at the Weymouth Naval Depot. Thus the Last Submarine scenario became instead of a quest for a submarine it became a quest, in our player universe, for submarine parts and weapons. Some of those parts turned out to be with Carlucci's boys, some were in RI and a others with the Black Widows at Weymouth.

As secondary operations, if possible, we were to establish contact with the Gloucestermen and with the DIA operative with the 43rd to be able to assist MilGov in beginning to re-establish control of New England.

The Christi herself was used to be able to insert us for the raid on Weymouth which is how we started the module along with what was left of a SEAL Team which was to assist us there in obtaining the supplies and weapons (which were thought to all be there but werent of course)

Last edited by Olefin; 06-19-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Banned

Another mod for the Christi was that torpedoes were in better supply in my player campaign than in the Last Submarine modules.

Instead of just six torpedoes available there were a total of twenty as well as four intact Harpoon missiles as well. All of them were from a shipment that was supposed to go out from the Weymouth Naval Air Station overseas but never went out due to fuel shortages.

Getting those torpedoes was considered very high priority in the game as the three other subs we were going to deliver parts to only had eight total weapons between them and Christi had none when the game started and they were supposed to be the last such weapons the USN had on the East Coast.

Even though at the time it was just my GM saying that there should be more weapons (he said the Navy couldnt have fired that many already) since then data from the Cold War suggests he was right in his mod in that even with the huge scale of the fighting the USN would still have more weapons around.

http://web.archive.org/web/200104010...0202_1_n.shtml

Just a few tidbits from the article which was Feb 2001 show that the USN had almost 2000 Mk48 torpedoes in its inventory by the time of the Twilgiht War, with 1046 being ADCAP Block V's. Most likely the number of ADCAP's would have gone higher in a war situation as Congress wouldnt have decreased the orginal buy as they did.

I have only put the parts from the article that show numbers produced and operational to keep the post length down.

Enjoy

Operational status
The Mk 48 has been in production since 1972 and is used aboard USN attack submarines and strategic submarines for self-defence. By early 1980, more than 1,900 torpedoes of this type had been delivered to the USN and an estimated 800 plus were in the production and procurement line. It was then estimated that another 1,050 might be required to meet inventory objectives and to allow for peacetime training and testing.

In the US Secretary of Defense's Annual Report to Congress in February 1985, it was stated that following completion of a successful test programme in 1984, it had been decided to accelerate production of the ADCAP torpedo. The five year programme called for production of 1,890 ADCAP units and included 123 in 1986 at a cost of US$433 million and 280 units in 1987 costing US$671 million. Hughes began production of the ADCAP version in 1985 and it became operational in 1988.

The Navy acquired about 1,046 MODs ADCAPS (Mod 6) replacing an equivalent number of Mod 5 ADCAPS, and maintaining the total inventory of ADCAP torpedoes at 1,046.

The only known foreign users of the Mk 48 are Australia, Canada, Israel, Netherlands and Turkey (in ex-US Navy submarines).