RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default A real treasure

Ed the Coastie 02-05-2003, 01:18 AM "Thanks" to some recent experiences, I have come to the realization that anyone with any sort of medical training (even an EMT) would be an extremely valuable resource in a T2K setting.

Even more valuable would be a pharmacist.

A full-fledged doctor or a nurse practioner would be worth their weight in gold.

Even more valuable would be a dentist. Don't believe me? Ever need a root canal? Yup...when you need one, a dentist would be worth his weight in gold AND ammo!

As a bit of a side note, one of the NPCs that I created for City of Angels was the classic Elderly Chinese Gentleman of Mysterious Origin, who was versed in such arts as acupuncture and oriental medicine. It made for an interesting encounter...

Webstral 02-05-2003, 01:55 AM A library fully stocked by Loompanics would be a great asset, too!

Webstral

pyro 02-05-2003, 09:38 AM I've been a long time lurker and have enjoyed the discussions that have taken place.

I have to agree with Ed, that medical knowledge would be invaluable.

I wrote an adventure years ago where the local doctor was kidnapped and the PCs had to go and retrieve the doctor alive.

pyro out

Dogger 02-05-2003, 01:52 PM My group realized from the get-go that someone with medical traning would be critical...

So much so that one of my regular players rolled his character up as a combat medic...

It was always kind of funny watching the other players searching buildings for ammo or other "loot", and the medic looking for medical supplies, or doctors offices.

pmulcahy 02-05-2003, 05:51 PM Originally posted by Ed the Coastie

<snip>Even more valuable would be a pharmacist.

<snip>As a bit of a side note, one of the NPCs that I created for City of Angels was the classic Elderly Chinese Gentleman of Mysterious Origin, who was versed in such arts as acupuncture and oriental medicine. It made for an interesting encounter...

Along the same lines (or perhaps better) than a pharmacist would be a chemist who was making medication before the war.

And along the same lines as the Elderly Chinese Gentleman might (repeat, might) be someone schooled in holistic medicine, or even some sort of backwoods country practitioner who knows his medicinal herbs and roots.

Also interesting encounter might be an encounter with some Shaolin Monks (there are some that are based in the US; don't know about other countries).

TR 02-05-2003, 07:32 PM Medical skills... factor that in the psy ops units and you can really capitalize on the medical feats performed by your medical staff... this would go a long way to winning over a wary public to CIVGOV or MILGOV in Twilight.

TR

pmulcahy 02-05-2003, 08:41 PM Another thing that would be good to "Win The Hearts and Mind" would be enough food to be able to hand it out to the hungry masses. Anyone who can feed the starving will be an absolute hero in their eyes...or a target.

pyro 02-06-2003, 09:51 AM A chemist who had been making pharmaceutical agents rather than "recreational pharmaceuticals" could be useful, however not having the chemical feed stocks, the equipment, the power, ad infinitum would make him/her not too useful.

Now someone who had knowledge of how medicines were made in the '30s and '40 could be very useful provided they had some lab equipment to work with.

I'm a chemist, my particular area of expertise is food safety. The other day we had a power outage. As soon as we lost power my lab was out of business. I could not run my computers, my GC, NIR or other instruments, ovens and incubators, heating/stirring plates etc. I can not function as a chemist without power, period, end of story.

Then of course everything that was in some stage of "cooking", digestion, reaction had to be discarded and the test had to be done again. Fortunately for me when we lost power none of my processes had the possibility of having an uncontrolled reaction. In some labs an uncontrolled reaction could result in an explosion, fire, or dangerous fumes being given off.

just my $0.02

Pyro out

dawg180 02-06-2003, 01:06 PM I played a SLovakian Army Doctor who was liberated from a Russian prison camp by Americans. Loads of fun, especially since the other players would do just about anything to keep him safe!

And yes, he was armed. Carried an RPK and had a serious dislike of the Russians...

Dawg

pmulcahy 02-06-2003, 01:45 PM One of my favorite T2K player stories is about one of the few female T2K players I've met. Her character was a doctor. She carried an Uzi, but her favorite weapon was an axe taken from the pioneer tools on our 113. She'd sneak up behind our enemies, and...whack! And then she'd treat our casualties after the fight was over. We called her our Amazon (it was under Version 1 rules, and her character had a Stature of 20...)

MJGRIFF 02-06-2003, 08:56 PM Yeah in my last campaign it alterated between "protect the Doc ", or "protect the Combat Engineer", to "protect the damned Mechanic". Eventually I had to make all three characters NPCs, as the other players wouldn't let them do anything even remotly dangerous (or fun). But they had a point, anybody can learn to kill, but science and tech knowledge is rather hard to find in 2000!

Sua Sponte

MJG

TR 02-08-2003, 12:15 PM The V1.0 group we had assembled when I was playing was an amusing group... we had indviduals with mechanic, agricultural and medical skills aside from the traditional infantry ones.

All in all it payed off from time to time when trying to win over locals, patch up our own wounded, etc.

TR

El Tee 02-10-2003, 01:11 PM In one of my long running (but now dormant) campaigns, all the PCs chose some type of specialty - Doctor, Mechanic/scrounge, Engineer, cook (yes, cook) except one guy who was a crusty ol' Marine Gunny.

Sure enough, when it came time to send someone into a cave it was good ol' Gunny. Everyone else seemed to be able to justify not sending their character into the unknown by virtue of their specialty. Well, except for the guy who played the Major, and, well, he was the Major.