Happy St Paddy's day to you all, be you Irish, Part Irish or wannabe Irish
Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Happy St Patrick's Day.
50% Irish for me.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 AM

Thanks, as much to you.

Nothing Irish about me but I always wannabe Irish on that day.

I go pick up my kids and drink a beer in your honnor.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13
Happy St Patrick's Day.
50% Irish for me.
I knew there was a reason I liked you Kato Any idea what part of Ireland?

Thanks Mo - enjoy the beer!
Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 AM

Happy St Patrick's Day to you too Tig. I have mostly Scots blood but one of my great grandmothers was from Ireland, her surname was Ryan.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK
I knew there was a reason I liked you Kato Any idea what part of Ireland?
If I get a chance to talk to my sister I'm pretty sure I can get you the cities. She has been to Ireland twice researching our Genealogy.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:13 AM

Happy Paddy's Day...

R6 (100% Scottish here)
Old 03-17-2009, 11:58 AM

Thomas Patrick Kelly. My mothers Grandfather strait off the boat. Then back to the great war then 30 years working on the railroad and boxing underground too earn extra money. I have a Picture in my home on the mantle.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Just seen on the news that they've had to deploy riot police to break up street parties in the main student area of Belfast. Thats the same boys and girls that'll be heading for my bar tonight. If only my knee wasn't bad I'd be there pulling an 18 hour shift
Old 03-17-2009, 04:29 PM

Happy St Patrick's Day!
And take it easy, Tigger
Old 03-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Happy Saint Patrick's Day, ya'll! Especially you, Tigger.

I'll be eating some boiled cabbage and potatoes tonight and drinking at least one [Mexican] beer. It's all I've got.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 03-17-2009, 06:09 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I am on my second pint of Guiness and the rest is in the fridge. I have a single malt waiting to have later and oh need to put the corned beef on.

Oh yeah I am about half, a quarter on both sides. I am the lucky one though, the only one in the family who doesn't have the pugnose, I got my mothers pointy Finnish nose
Old 03-17-2009, 06:36 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
I am on my second pint of Guiness and the rest is in the fridge. I have a single malt waiting to have later and oh need to put the corned beef on.
I don't drink. Can I have a green Pepsi? Oh, and I'll take a helping of that corned beef!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 03-17-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
I don't drink. Can I have a green Pepsi? Oh, and I'll take a helping of that corned beef!

Paul you are always welcome! And sure green pepsi but wouldn't you rather have one fresh

What is really messed up! I went to 3 Stater Brothers markets <a popular So Cal Chain with who promote their onsite butcher shops with the slogan "Its our meat that made us famous" two Vons and 1 Ralphs <Kroger> and a El Tapatio <local mexican chain> and no one had any corned beef! I was hoping to buy several cooking 1 tonight and cooking the others over the next couple months. Not this year! I only had the 1 I purchased on the way home from work over the weekend when I stopped at the market to get something for breakfast on the way home. Sheesh, next they'll be out of rabit for easter
Old 03-17-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Sheesh, next they'll be out of rabit for easter
You could just go out and shoot or trap one. I dunno about SoCal but in the countryside around here there are heaps of the little buggers.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 PM

Can't walk more than three steps without tripping over the critters where I grew up...

Same with kangaroos. Had more of them than cattle back on the farm.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker
Can't walk more than three steps without tripping over the critters where I grew up...

Same with kangaroos. Had more of them than cattle back on the farm.
But kangaroos are at home, Rabits is one exemple of Human's stupidity. By the way I recall having watched on TV a farmer shooting at Rabits with a Machine Gun . Was I dreaming or are you that desesperate?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
But kangaroos are at home, Rabits is one exemple of Human's stupidity. By the way I recall having watched on TV a farmer shooting at Rabits with a Machine Gun . Was I dreaming or are you that desesperate?
Wouldn't have been recent. Pretty much no one except the military and Police can legally own and fire machine guns in Australia now.

We have had enormous plagues of rabbits in Australia. That is why the Rabbit Proof Fence was constructed. Biological controls have helped but eventually the rabbits become resistant and their numbers explode again.

Various species of kangaroo are found in large numbers across Australia. They regularly graze around my mum's house in Perth's hills and you see them at many of Perth's golf courses.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
Wouldn't have been recent. Pretty much no one except the military and Police can legally own and fire machine guns in Australia now.
The key word here is "legally"....

I know a few people who may not own actual GPMGs, but certainly have the odd automatic rifle and SMG tucked away. Gone out hunting with a few of them years back.

One had a fully auto SMG of some type (can barely remember what it looked like let alone what it was) in .22 LR. Ripped through a 20 round mag in less time than it took to blink your eyes. Couldn't hit anything beyond about three feet away due to recoil (mainly the working parts moving rather than actual explosive force), but DAMN WAS IT FUN!

Same fellow had an L42 sniper rifle - has to be about the most accurate weapon I've laid my hands on (but that's coming from a machinegunnner....)
Old 03-18-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
It was at least 25 years ago and the action was taking place something like 30 years ago. Anyway, I was a kid at that time, I remember that the number of rabits was impressive, I remember that the guy was using an equally impressive weapon (no simple hunting rifle) but I'm not sure what it was. Actually, the guy could have been an official and that could have been put in scene for the purpose of the media.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:17 AM

Why yes, I have the lil bunnies hopping through my backyard all the time. I also have hawks perched on a powerpole just out my back window, the odd skorpion in my garage and kitchen as well as a rattler in the garage once, and all maner of other small wildlife in my backyard. The perks of the backyard abutting a wildlife preserve, I litteraly open the gate to my back fence, then open the gate to the county fence and I am in a nature preserve. I bike along the newly made bike trail and a couple miles up I encounter a "Danger Mountain Lion" sign. And up until a few years ago they had wild pig running in the cane fields of the river bottom, being that they tend to hearty lil critters they will probably make their way back in a couple years.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:26 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Default HAPPY St.Patrics Day

Me and FMDCorba celebrated (kind of) with Cider and Jameson Whiskey (irish) playing Company of Heroes...yea and the-devild was with us aswell over the interweb he he
Old 03-18-2009, 07:16 PM

And a Happy belated St Patrick's day back at ya, Tigger.

Part Irish myself. I think my great grandfather came over in the very early 1900's. Grandfather's name was Casey Patrick Alvey.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Why yes, I have the lil bunnies hopping through my backyard all the time. I also have hawks perched on a powerpole just out my back window, the odd skorpion in my garage and kitchen as well as a rattler in the garage once, and all maner of other small wildlife in my backyard. The perks of the backyard abutting a wildlife preserve, I litteraly open the gate to my back fence, then open the gate to the county fence and I am in a nature preserve. I bike along the newly made bike trail and a couple miles up I encounter a "Danger Mountain Lion" sign. And up until a few years ago they had wild pig running in the cane fields of the river bottom, being that they tend to hearty lil critters they will probably make their way back in a couple years.
Here in Perth is common for suburban back yards to contain a variety of deadly beasties, mostly snakes and spiders. Actually its mostly the snakes that are deadly around here (red back spiders usually won't kill an adult human). Over east they have funnelweb spiders that will kill you dead. Most Australians are aware of the dangers of snakes in back yard wood piles and sheds. Nasty way to go.

Now mountain lions, wow, that's a whole other deal. Cool and a bit concerning at the same time. Same goes for bears. I think bears seem like pretty impressive creatures but I wouldn't like to be attacked by one. You have some scary fauna in the CONUS.

Wild pigs over here are called razorbacks and they can get pretty darned big. Over the years a few people have been killed by male red kangaroos, they can disembowel you if you're not careful.

Last edited by Targan; 03-18-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:52 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by weswood
Part Irish myself. I think my great grandfather came over in the very early 1900's. Grandfather's name was Casey Patrick Alvey.
I'm Black Irish on my father's side. I have a good Irish Catholic name: Paul Michael Mulcahy. (Too bad I'm not a good Catholic...or even a Catholic at all anymore...) But my family's been here since before the American Revolution -- there have been Mulcahys in the US military since the Revolution, so pretty much my Mulcahy side is thoroughly American by now.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 03-18-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Over the years a few people have been killed by male red kangaroos, they can disembowel you if you're not careful.
The smaller Eastern Greys can do the same thing and they're usually smaller than an average adult human.
Seen a dog almost disemboweled by one once - not a pretty sight with blood and gore everywhere. Dog lived, the roo suffered a nasty and very sudden case of lead poisoning....
Old 03-18-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker
The smaller Eastern Greys can do the same thing and they're usually smaller than an average adult human.
Seen a dog almost disemboweled by one once - not a pretty sight with blood and gore everywhere. Dog lived, the roo suffered a nasty and very sudden case of lead poisoning....
Yes indeed. Seen a dog attacked by a western grey (dog and roo both lived although the dog needed stitches). Seen the results of a red kangaroo attack on a dog (no sign of roo, dog very dead).
Old 03-18-2009, 11:10 PM

Default ...and tying it back to T2K....

Of course a good, well trained hunting dog can be worth their weight in gold. Although roos can disembowel, a good dog will strike from behind, knocking them over and wrapping their jaws around the throat. Smaller roos are quickly killed with a broken neck, while the larger ones have their windpipe crushed.

Which gets me to thinking that just because in T2K many people don't have firearms or even a home made crossbow, doesn't mean they can't hunt for food. As in centuries past, animals can be trained to put food on the table.

As seen above, dogs can bring down large game while hawks can catch rabbits, and so on.

Just how valuable would these animals and their trainers become?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:33 PM

Harnmaster/Gunmaster has excellent and very realistic hunting rules and those include using trained animals such as dogs.

In my current camapign there is a USAF dog handler NPC with the party's group who has repeatedly requested that she be allowed to train a security dog but so far her CO Major Po has refused her requests.

I thinks Bill Gant's Harnmaster house rules site Warflail.com still has Bill's hunting rules available for download. I'll have to go and have a look when I've got some time tonight.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
I'm Black Irish on my father's side. I have a good Irish Catholic name: Paul Michael Mulcahy. (Too bad I'm not a good Catholic...or even a Catholic at all anymore...) But my family's been here since before the American Revolution -- there have been Mulcahys in the US military since the Revolution, so pretty much my Mulcahy side is thoroughly American by now.
I've had family here since the Revolution, but they were English. And Cherokee on my father's side. All my life I thought I had an ancestor who signed the Declaration of Independence, but I found out a month ago it was my ancestor's brother. A Doctor named Benjamin Rush.