RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971 View Post
All the things I've found online has been kind of confusing.
Congratulations sir, you have succeeded in capturing the essence of the British army! Most of the time not even the british army know what it is doig.

I'll do some legwork and try to find some info for you. The biggest problem is the regimental system, it's very confusing for folks who are usedto American style divisional systems.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Thank you!

This is some of what I'm working on... namely about the Home Guard that was organized after the Territorial Army was mobilized. I'm guessing at what weapons, vehicles and equipment that the Home Guard would be equipped with... basicly having them wearing old-style pre-DPM battle dress uniforms (going with them wearing them for service dress and combat dress). I saw them using old weapons, apcs and tanks that were still in strategic stockpiles.

Home Guard

The British Government began organizing a modern Home Guard as Territorial Army units were being activated for their immediate mobilization for deployment overseas, along with the reestablishment of many of the disestablished & disbanded units of the past decades for expanding the Regular Army. The Home Guard

The British Home Guard units were equipped with weapons, vehicles and equipment that were issued from the strategic stockpiles. Home Guard units wore khaki battle dress uniforms that had been retired after the adoption of the modern DPM battle dress.

L1A1 SLR 7.62mm assault rifle
FV214 Conqueror main battle tank
FV4007 Centurion main battle tank

I'm also coming up with fictional vehicles that are based on some actual concepts as well.. like unmanned aerial vehicles, and a fifth generation fighter... an updated harrier jumpjet for the British aircraft carriers.

The British Defense Industry was increased to provide export sales to commonwealth states... with the collapse of the EU proposals, and growth of various competing military alliances (Med Alliances, Congo Pact, Beijing Pact, Havana Pact, ect) they had alot of people who'd be buying from them.

BAE Systems Corax unmanned aerial vehicle
BAE Systems Phoenix reconnaissance unmanned aerial vehicle
BAE Systems <> high endurance reconnaissance unmanned aerial vehicle
BAE Systems Fury high endurance unmanned combat aerial vehicle
Zephyr
BAE Systems <> unmanned combat aerial vehicle
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:17 AM

I'd suggest you start a new thread on this, so we can all add without going off topic on James' 7th Armoured.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natehale1971 View Post
Thank you!

This is some of what I'm working on... namely about the Home Guard that was organized after the Territorial Army was mobilized. I'm guessing at what weapons, vehicles and equipment that the Home Guard would be equipped with... basicly having them wearing old-style pre-DPM battle dress uniforms (going with them wearing them for service dress and combat dress). I saw them using old weapons, apcs and tanks that were still in strategic stockpiles.

Home Guard

The British Government began organizing a modern Home Guard as Territorial Army units were being activated for their immediate mobilization for deployment overseas, along with the reestablishment of many of the disestablished & disbanded units of the past decades for expanding the Regular Army. The Home Guard

The British Home Guard units were equipped with weapons, vehicles and equipment that were issued from the strategic stockpiles. Home Guard units wore khaki battle dress uniforms that had been retired after the adoption of the modern DPM battle dress.

L1A1 SLR 7.62mm assault rifle
FV214 Conqueror main battle tank
FV4007 Centurion main battle tank

I'm also coming up with fictional vehicles that are based on some actual concepts as well.. like unmanned aerial vehicles, and a fifth generation fighter... an updated harrier jumpjet for the British aircraft carriers.

The British Defense Industry was increased to provide export sales to commonwealth states... with the collapse of the EU proposals, and growth of various competing military alliances (Med Alliances, Congo Pact, Beijing Pact, Havana Pact, ect) they had alot of people who'd be buying from them.

BAE Systems Corax unmanned aerial vehicle
BAE Systems Phoenix reconnaissance unmanned aerial vehicle
BAE Systems <> high endurance reconnaissance unmanned aerial vehicle
BAE Systems Fury high endurance unmanned combat aerial vehicle
Zephyr
BAE Systems <> unmanned combat aerial vehicle
Nate, battledress stocks would be long gone, there are however a lot of older pattern DPM kits that may still be stockpiled (as a guess anyone issued with old kit will go out and buy later patterns anyway). If you want them dressed differently, how about OG overallls maybe with a brassard for ranks.

Might be worth reading up on the Home Service Force as this gives you an already existing Home Guard type unit that could easily be expanded.

Most will be light infantry - armour will likely be light at best. Some might even end up with .303 No4s and Brens which are still in storage. Converted L98s might also be common. Conquerors have all been used as range targets, ditto most of the remaining Centurions.

It is unlikely that regiments will reform, it is more likely to be an expansion of existing regiments or possibly the creation of new ones for new roles (e.g. NBC Reporting Regiment).
Old 08-23-2011, 02:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Thank you James!

If you can help me with this i'd greatly appreacate it. I started up a new thread so I wouldn't hijack yours. The Olive Green overalls sounds good... since i didn't kno wabout the Home Service Force, and wanted to have the Home Guard as full-time civlians and part-time soldiers.

I had read where there were some regiments had been disbanded in the late-1960s instead of being algemated... and it gave me the thought that they could either be reestablished, or those regiments that had ben algemated being split back off to their original regiments.

I know in the US, we can reestablish regiments, divisions and the like at a later date. Isn't that how it's done with the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Langham View Post
Nate, battledress stocks would be long gone, there are however a lot of older pattern DPM kits that may still be stockpiled (as a guess anyone issued with old kit will go out and buy later patterns anyway). If you want them dressed differently, how about OG overallls maybe with a brassard for ranks.

Might be worth reading up on the Home Service Force as this gives you an already existing Home Guard type unit that could easily be expanded.

Most will be light infantry - armour will likely be light at best. Some might even end up with .303 No4s and Brens which are still in storage. Converted L98s might also be common. Conquerors have all been used as range targets, ditto most of the remaining Centurions.

It is unlikely that regiments will reform, it is more likely to be an expansion of existing regiments or possibly the creation of new ones for new roles (e.g. NBC Reporting Regiment).
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately I couldn't work in a character who writes opera...

Blame Andy McNab's War Torn for the idea.
Naw, I'm more a classic rock kinda guy....
Old 08-23-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
This thread has just reminded me that I think James Blunt would probably still have been a serving officer in the Life Guards during the Twilight War.

(Wiki link added for those who've never heard of him as I have no clue how popular James Blunt is - or isn't - outside the UK)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Blunt
My background text:

“We got a great new subbie in early 1997, typical new officer straight from Sandhurst after Harrow. I was his driver, he was a real character, great guitarist played all the classics, nice singer too if a little high pitched. Even started writing his own songs, sometimes they were a bit dark though. I remember one song 'No Bravery' very well. Used dark humour a lot too with “It's Bloody Cold” to make fun of himself. He used to sing those two a lot. He always reckoned that he was one of the most shot at people on the planet being the lead element all the time but as he said if we are that close to the enemy at least we aren't likely to get nuked! He always used to joke that he should put his guitar inside the Scimitar for safe-keeping and strap one of the crew to the outside but that the OC would probably be unhappy with that. In fact that was his threat every time someone screwed up. I think he was joking!”
Trooper Peter Watson
Blues and Royals
Old 08-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Nice one...on a semi related vein, anything in your history on a former Life Guards officer named Hewitt?
Old 08-23-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
Nice one...on a semi related vein, anything in your history on a former Life Guards officer named Hewitt?
There will be at some point...
Old 08-23-2011, 03:55 PM

My so-called 'wife' loved James Blunt, and i've got all of his CDs as gifts for her... but even before her i had heard of him. He even stared on the last episode of "Las Vegas"

Quote:
My background text:

“We got a great new subbie in early 1997, typical new officer straight from Sandhurst after Harrow. I was his driver, he was a real character, great guitarist played all the classics, nice singer too if a little high pitched. Even started writing his own songs, sometimes they were a bit dark though. I remember one song 'No Bravery' very well. Used dark humour a lot too with “It's Bloody Cold” to make fun of himself. He used to sing those two a lot. He always reckoned that he was one of the most shot at people on the planet being the lead element all the time but as he said if we are that close to the enemy at least we aren't likely to get nuked! He always used to joke that he should put his guitar inside the Scimitar for safe-keeping and strap one of the crew to the outside but that the OC would probably be unhappy with that. In fact that was his threat every time someone screwed up. I think he was joking!”
Trooper Peter Watson
Blues and Royals