RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Internet Intellectual

Default Encounter Group #6 Children of the Night

Name: Children of the Night
Geographical Location: 9,11,12,14,15
H&M Average:1
H&M Range 0-3
Number found : 1-10
Tech Level: F
Power / Resources : None
Weapons: Edged and blunt hand weapons, some spears.
Special Attributes: Light sensitive, can only digest fresh blood.

Description: The victims of radiation and a biological weapon. These people are slightly empathic/telepathic and as such are drawn to each other. They infect anyone they attack with the disease they carry.

Kinda takes second place. Not that I am a fan of psionics and all that implies. Give me technology or magic. All those "mental powers" are good for a world without magic, like the TMP, still not my preference at all.

Ok, this is an encounter group that is totally in the hands of the PD.

As written here these are stupid feral animals that attack in the dark. If the PD is good with suspense this is great. Even with all ten attacking their not going to overwhelm even a 2-3 person Recon team. However....................

With a larger Team, smart, experienced players with an 8-10 person MARS Team then my suggestion is to make them into the monsterous changed humans of the "I am Legend" world from the movie with Will Smith. These while still feral and no longer tool using humans are cunning and problem solving. These changed humans are many times stronger and more resilient than the normal human. Fast, strong, and attack in packs.

Also a good way to catch up that player that has read all the TMP modules.

These can even be made the victims that a Science Team is desperately trying to find a cure for, while not being killed by.

Then again the "Rage" from "28 Days later" makes a sweet swap in too.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Another possibility for this type of encounter is the "Morlock" from H.G. Wells' "Time Machine".

IMHO, A lot of time would have had to pass for this to occur. However it is a thought for those teams that are just a little cocky.

The "Eloi", peacefull, lazy, etc. Obvious recipients of the knowledge that Morrow can bring.

The "Morlock" could have teck level up to very high "B" to very low "A".

That could make life exciting??!!??

My $0.02

Mike
Old 12-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Internet Intellectual

When we get further down the list I think this is the Maggot, in the mutants section.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
When we get further down the list I think this is the Maggot, in the mutants section.
I can see the "Morlock" being the same idea as the "Maggot". Just with a higher tech base.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 AM

"infect anyone they attack with the disease they carry. "

I would change this. Perhaps add "Most people don't develop all the symptoms and will quickly recover" (otherwise you have lots of Vampires, very quickly)

I would also change the Tech Level to "Any" and the H&M to "Any". Why does this disease remove the ability to use or understand technology? Why does it make them automatically hostile? They should be empathetic to others

Now, we can make this interesting...

Example 1: The team encounters a group of Wanderers who (like the Masai or the Mongols) drink the blood of their herd animals. They can be friendly or hostile - but they have a near-telepathic link with their animals and the local Farmers value these people for their veterinary prowess

Example 2: A roadhouse inn. There is entertainment, food and fuel. A few visitors may wake up feeing "drained" - but that's probably due the the strength of the beer. That must be it...

Example 3: A gang of Bikers has taken over the local village. They insist on taking a large animal every day and have a particularly unpleasant method of execution for anyone who resists
Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 AM

I will be the first to admit that I do not use many of the "mutant" ideas in TM 1-1.

Yes, Mankind has just interjected a HUGE amount of radiation, biological, and chemical warfare substances into the biosphere. And in the process, managed to kill off over 95% of all humans, and who knows how much of the rest of the biosphere.

BUT, IMHO, all of this chaos will take a lot more time to sort out. If you play canon rules, it has only been 150 years. That is about 4 generations of humans, about 10 generations for cattle and other medium herbivores, about 50 generations for rabbits and other small critters.

In the small animal category, you might be seeing some changes. A faster bunny, a more agile squirrel, etc. The wolves and wild cats are adapting to the changes.

My $0.02

Mike