RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive

Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Something I remeber about FAV

Antenna 05-05-2004, 01:43 PM When I started to play T2k I tried to buy as many military magazines I coul dget my hand on. Nowdays at least half of them is gonne (friends has borrowed, or they would be read to pieces). But one thing I remeber from one mag was the FAV Coy. Also to note was that the FAVs would be the two-man version.

HQ : 5 FAVs, [support vehicles]

1st-3rd Plt : 25 FAV, 5 M60 MG, 5 M2Hb, 5 Mk-19, 5 ASP-30, 5 TOW2

Then I cannot remeber what vehicles or what numbers was in the HQ Coy as support vehicles.

But I allways played with this setup when using the two-man FAV on my FAV Coy or FAV Batt.

I wish I had that mag in my hand today. I think it is a borrower to a friend ?

Antenna

pmulcahy 05-05-2004, 06:02 PM Do you remember the name of the magazine and the approximate date? I have boxes of military and firearm magazines in my closet.

Abbott Shaull 05-06-2004, 04:49 PM I really like the FAV concept as it was for a raiding and recon force. The main reason I dropped it from a Fast Attack Concept is largely due to lack of anyone really accepting the vehicle in either the 2 man or 3 man versions. Even the SEALs kinda dropped the vehicle after Desert Storm. So by 1996 most of the vehicle would be found in Scout Platoons of Light Infantry Battalion used in conjuction with HMMWVs, Dirt Bikes and ATVs along with some in Special Operations inventory.

It is one of the vehicle that concept looked great but when you put all of your gear and supplies needed... Well overburden pack-mule comes to mind. Then again we didn't have a war or occupation to really prove their worth either. Now I believe that concept would be practical, but not as Regular Army formation before the War. More or less as after thought.

Now by mid-1997 or as late as early-1998 I can see the current replacement for the FAVs made by Chenoworth(Sp?) vehicles(seen the vehicle on Mail Call on the History Channel) and FAVs being mass produced and being used to convert several Brigade of National Guards and Reserve into Fast Attack Brigade(basically Light Infatry now motorized). These Brigade would have several functions. They could be used for in a limited capacity during major Offensives in clearing pockets of resistance that the main advance had by past. They could be used for rear security to help Military Police units on Convoy protection. They could be used to help support units that have been caught by surprise the enemy forces that were undetected. Etc, etc...

Could see several of these Brigade sent to Europe and limited number in Korea. Probably see the bulk of these units used in the States as the units would be in the training for the conversion during the time when the Northwest and Southwest Fronts open....

Then again these are just some thought and MHO

Abbott

Antenna 05-07-2004, 12:12 PM Well Paul

The mag is from the early 80's and I haven't a clue what the name of the mag would be... but it had a good article also on USArmy Sniper school also

Antenna

Antenna 05-08-2004, 08:30 PM Suppose the FAV (2-man or 3-man) vehicle would be in a supposable war, that as we suppose is the 3rd World war. And lets suppose this war is between Warsawpact and NATO.

You are in the HQ of a Light INF BDE and have to make an ad-hoc company with FAVs (81 2-man FAVs or 54 3-man FAVs) or a mix between ? (162 man vehicle company if mixed between the both versions)

Depending on role to fulfill, you get access to weaponry to fit to the FAV company.

So lets see what org you might do....

Antenna

Antenna 05-08-2004, 08:42 PM Well, I do a try on this. For a light infantry brigade.

1st Plt (AT) - 6 2-man FAVs, 14 3-man FAVs

HQ : 2 3-man FAVs, 3 M240 MG

1st-3rd Squad : 2 2-man FAVs, 2 Mk-19, 4 3-man FAVs, 4 TOW-2, 4 M240 MG

2nd Plt (AT) - See 1st Plt

3rd Plt (Scout) - 9 2-man FAVs, 12 3-man FAVs

HQ : No HQ (independent Squads one for each Inf battalion)

1st-3rd Squad : 3 2-man FAVs, 3 M240 MG, 4 3-man FAVs, 2 Mk-19, 2 M2Hb, 4 M240 MG

Antenna

Abbott Shaull 05-09-2004, 09:25 AM FAV Company

Company HQ: 6 3-man FAVs, 12 M240s

1st Platoon:

Platoon HQ: 2 3-man FAVs, 4 M240s.

1st - 3rd Squads: 4 3-man FAVs, 4 M240s, 2 Mk-19s, and 2 M2HBs

AT Section: 3 2-man FAVs 3 M240s, and 3 TOWIIs

2nd Platoon:

see 1st Platoon organization

3rd Platoon:

see 1st Platoon organization

Abbott

graebarde 05-09-2004, 09:50 AM The FAVs in HQ would be limited for sure, but where are the support vehicles? Will battalion support the company, or will the company have it's own support. I would think they would have atleast 3-4 HMMWV or larger vehicles to carry fuel, bullets, and beans for the company, as well as mechanics, and other company staff.

Just my 2 cents.

grae

Antenna 05-09-2004, 10:53 AM Well, I was thinking about the support vehicles to, but choosed to not include them with my Org ... There would of course be some of them to in the 4th Plt that would be divided into the fighting Plts

Antenna

Abbott Shaull 05-10-2004, 07:55 AM It all depends. If the FAV Company was part of Fast Attack Battalion or Light Motorized Battalion depending on what you want to go with. Then I think it would probably have it own small supply section.

Now if this is holding company for say Brigade then I tend to think the supply section would come from there.

Abbott

Abbott Shaull 08-20-2005, 07:29 AM After watching the new vehicle that coming out of shop in California on the History channel. I can't recall the vehicle is called, but I do remember it being mention that is being tested and used operational with Special Forces at least and that 82nd and other Light units are looking at the variants.

The vehicle the first time I saw it was called the Chenaworth or something to that effect, but they have a new name for it.

It is basically has tubalar structure and very light. Unlike the Canon FAV which only held two people at the most with limited supplies or those who bought into the ones the SEALs and Special Forces used during Desert Storm which was still the same vehicle, but the with gunner behind the driver and commanders seat. These new vehicles in it basic form can transport 4 or 6 people and equipment similar to the weight capacity of the HMMWV. This is one of the reason why the 82nd and other light forces of the Army were looking into it. Especially the 82nd. On the down side much like the FAV it little to nothing between you and anyone shooting at you except for speed and driving skill to get away...

With a lot of the new tech and something like this even though it might look really low tech, but for it purpose it is high-tech would of started to be distributed to units before the bomb started to fall and making replacement of anything damn near impossible. Or someone in the units would of recall about family outting out in the desert and climbing sand dunes.... Off road racing and what not. I never really bought into the FAV concept except for maybe as used in recon, but to have Fast Attack Battalion was totally off the wall IMHO. Then again the Fast Attack Companies and Light Motorized Companies would be way understrength if one would go by what the GDW put out there. The Fast Attack Companies could even be considered a re-inforce Platoon.

Anyway, for the 9th Motorized Division I always kinda did used the Task Force concept in through out. So that there were 4 Light Battalion with 2 or 3 Light Motorized Companies and 1 or 2 Fast Attack Company. 4 Med Battalions with 2 Light Motorized Companies, 1 Heavy Motorized Company and 1 Assault Gun Company. 2 Heavy Battalions with 2 Assault Gun Companies, 1 Heavy Motorized Company, and 1 Light Motorized Company.

Abbott