RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Oh Boy - Slightly OT But Related To My Site

TR 05-12-2004, 06:14 PM Oh crud...

Looks like my web host is either down with server issue or no longer in business... their webpage is down, their emails aren't going through and my page is naturally not accessibile.

Anyone tried my site in the past few days getting errors messages?

Anyone got any ideas on web hosting sites to try and cut down my search time for a new one if the old one is gone?

Shame too after using Geocities, Xoom, NBci Xoom and now Sharp Web Services I prefered SWS to them all. Although I paid for the service their rates were reasonable... they increased my storage space within the same day I contacted them and never a disagreement.

Will keep you all posted on what I find out.

TR

graebarde 05-12-2004, 09:52 PM It seems it's not just your site.. Ive gone to several that I had in the past and they are all gone, or giving error messages. Damn I wish I was rich, I'd start my own just for Twilight sites..

TR 05-12-2004, 10:20 PM Lovely...

Yeah I figure at this point my former host has bit the dust as their former email addie's don't go through. Not a good sign, that and their own company website is down.

I've bookmarked some other sites that I will have to be looking at so I can put the site back together. Shame too the timing as I had just completed the re-write of the shotgun entries with game stats cheat sheet... I was a day or two way from adding the links and posting it to the page.

I guess it's time to improvise... down but still fighting.

TR

pmulcahy 05-12-2004, 11:22 PM I use www.100megswebhosting.com I pay $20 per month, get 1GB of server space and 20 GB of bandwidth. Reuben and his team are very responsive to tech problems, and can help you with pretty much any problem you can think of (they've even done it for me in real time once; I kept my email program open and messages were flying back and forth). The control panel for your site has a zillion little applets. It's the best web host I've ever used or even heard of.

TR 05-13-2004, 05:44 PM Ok... well if you try the website now you'll get the message about my new host... time to start RELOADING everything. That might take a slight bit of time but at least I have 500 Meg of space.

Later,

TR

TiggerCCW UK 05-13-2004, 06:17 PM Sorry to hear about your web problems. I hope you can get up and running again without too much trouble.

TR 05-13-2004, 06:27 PM Me too... the index page is going up but I have to get the ftp aspect working as single file loads takes too long.

TR

TR 05-15-2004, 12:57 AM Update... the html is going up steadily right now, I would have to guess that it's about 80-89% up on the site now... pictures are the next big hurdle. I use a fair amount but there's a lot more I don't use anymore so I have to filter out the extraneous.

On the other hand I have found a LOT of my old files from 1999 when I first put up the site. It has come a LONG way. So will have a final report when the majority of it is back up and going.

Thanks to everyone for their support and info...

TR

Ed the Coastie 05-15-2004, 12:59 AM Keep it up...I'm looking forward to the new and improved TR site

pmulcahy 05-15-2004, 01:35 AM Who'd you finally go with for a web host?

TR 05-15-2004, 01:39 AM I had a list of about ten that people had recommended and some I had dug up...

Finally went with Bravenet as they do my guestbooks and counters... I get 500 Meg for $9.95 a month, I've always had good response from the team there when I emailed them for questions.

Later,

TR

TR 05-15-2004, 09:57 PM Final Report

Ok... it's not 100% but the site is mostly back up and running now with html and pic files... so there may be a couple missing but I spent a chunk of the day getting it back up and working. So enjoy and I will tweak the site as the week goes onto add the missing items.

Until Later

TR

Ed the Coastie 05-16-2004, 10:54 AM what's the new url?

TR 05-16-2004, 12:01 PM It's the same... www.wapahani.com

Nice thing about having your own domain name, that way I don't have to change over a MILLION links to something else!

TR