RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 09-15-2016, 12:04 PM

Default Volley Guns?

I pose this question to gather the learned opinion of my peers. There are many historical accounts of the use of volley guns in combat. The attached picture shows a fine 9 barreled Polish version. The question I have is would weapons of this type be constructed and used?

On one hand I think that they would be considered wasteful of black powder and shot. On the other hand, I can see cases where people struggling against a larger foe may have small fire squads use them in a guerrilla fashion in a hit and run manner. The floor is now open for comments.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Those weapons were woefully inefficient. They were created as experiments, curiosities, and for other thoroughly impractical purposes. That might happen again, certainly, but I think it would be a stretch to see them deployed on any real scale.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:50 PM

Concur, little practicable use due to their bulk/weight and slow reload times.

On the other hand, the larger, carriage mounted versions did serve to protect gates, bridges or other narrow approaches, but the same reload issues render these weapons, at best, one or two shot wonders, still having the possibility of facing a 80-barrel version guarding a gate, well, going over that wall sure looks inviting...
Old 09-15-2016, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
They were created as experiments, curiosities, and for other thoroughly impractical purposes.
One such case I recall is where someone build a 20 barrel version using barrels that were rejects from a rifle manufacturer to use in an assassination attempt. when fired 13 people were killed, but his target received only a minor wound.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:21 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin798 View Post
I pose this question to gather the learned opinion of my peers. There are many historical accounts of the use of volley guns in combat. The attached picture shows a fine 9 barreled Polish version. The question I have is would weapons of this type be constructed and used?

On one hand I think that they would be considered wasteful of black powder and shot. On the other hand, I can see cases where people struggling against a larger foe may have small fire squads use them in a guerrilla fashion in a hit and run manner. The floor is now open for comments.
These are made to blast the large concentrated formations of 18th & 19th Century warfare...... The last recorded use of volley guns was the American Civil War............ Defense of a bridge by Union troops against Confederate Cavalry if I am not totally wrong.

Even the Nock Volley gun in your picture is much to heavy and too slow to reload for an ambusher.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:40 PM

A volley gun might be useful in some specific scenarios.

If you have a problem with Blue Undead, for instance, then a volley gun with 9 barrels might be appreciated. Likewise, a multi-barrelled shotgun would be a good weapon for dealing with those mutant giant crows eating crops in a farmer's field
Old 09-18-2016, 08:13 PM

The instances where a volley gun will be worthwhile are extremely rare, especially in consideration of other uses for those resources. Remember, building an N-barreled volley gun means NOT building N regular guns that can do everything the volley gun does plus much, much more. You basically need a situation where your manpower is very small but your industrial resources are very high for this to pay off.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:25 PM

Default Yep!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
The instances where a volley gun will be worthwhile are extremely rare, especially in consideration of other uses for those resources. Remember, building an N-barreled volley gun means NOT building N regular guns that can do everything the volley gun does plus much, much more. You basically need a situation where your manpower is very small but your industrial resources are very high for this to pay off.
Every situation I can come up with ends by using an IED or claymore to better effect.
Tis better to see them afor they see you.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:57 AM

BIG volley guns might be useful as field artillery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitrailleuse

It occurs to me that the KFS "Trade Rifle" has a notoriously short service life (planned obsolescence). I wonder if anyone uses the old ones as volley guns?

Last edited by Matt W; 09-19-2016 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:47 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT. Ox View Post
Every situation I can come up with ends by using an IED or claymore to better effect.

These are a tool for static defence. If you use them in the style of 18th cent warfare with closely packed formations and massed cavalry charges.

So if you have troops guarding a bridge, on the walls of the fort, etc.

Especially if you go big, not the regular .69 or .75 caliber, the 1 and 2 inch small cannon in the same configuration firing shot.

See also Calliope Gun.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

As the KFS "trade muskets" fire out their rifling, they become useful as volleygun components with one change to the program: each barrel is to be loaded with "Buck and (conical) Ball"