RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 06-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Here is the medium one
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 PM

Did anyone play with any of the various online nuclear blast calculators to check damage vs. maps? I've attached one I made for a 1.5 Mt blast against Richmond , California.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Twilight_2000_Richmond_1.5MT_Strike - Copy.zip (214.2 KB, 108 views)
Old 06-09-2011, 12:34 PM

Much obliged!

And yes, the Sawyer AFB in Michigan has been closed down since 1995. And I am definitely shocked that Sault Ste Marie was not an industrial/resource target.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Administrator

All of the rest of my maps (UK, USSR, Canada, North America) plus a few other unit maps are zipped in the file below
https://rapidshare.com/files/680650729/t2kmaps.zip

I think they all are (1.0/2.0/2.2) canon with the exception of the Czech map which corresponds to the DC Groups Czech Sourcebook.

Edit. Oh the Europe strike map is canon plus supposition.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
And yes, the Sawyer AFB in Michigan has been closed down since 1995. And I am definitely shocked that Sault Ste Marie was not an industrial/resource target.
Any target you think should have been nuked can be nuked in your campaign without breaking canon, you just declare it to have been under the size threshold for it to have been mentioned in canon*.

*Unless it expressly states in canon that a given location was NOT nuked.

Last edited by Targan; 06-09-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Any idea why Memphis was hit? Nothing jumps out as me as a strategic target there.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Any idea why Memphis was hit? Nothing jumps out as me as a strategic target there.
Memphis is closer to the bottom left of TN. The hit is on Blytheville AFB, AR: 42nd Air Division Headquarters, 97th Strategic Bombing Wing (1 Mt).
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Graceland. An obvious strike to break American resolve: "We have destroyed your King's home!"

Or perhaps retaliation for the conventional strike that accidentally hit the Hermitage.

Uncle Ted
Old 07-02-2018, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Good one, Unkated. Thanks, Kato!
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

Old 07-07-2018, 07:15 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Quote:
Maybe the Rooskies were targetting Pigeon Forge and overshot.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailerParkJawa View Post
Did anyone play with any of the various online nuclear blast calculators to check damage vs. maps? I've attached one I made for a 1.5 Mt blast against Richmond , California.
I looked at the Richmond strike - and I am leaning more toward it being multiple nukes hitting the same target instead of a single 1.5MT blast - if you look at the Urban Guerrilla module you can see that there is a precedent - i.e. the strike against Cape Canaveral that was not just one large nuke but a series of small ones - there are other mentions as well of the larger strikes actually being multiple smaller strikes all hitting around the same time
Old 07-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Any target you think should have been nuked can be nuked in your campaign without breaking canon, you just declare it to have been under the size threshold for it to have been mentioned in canon*.

*Unless it expressly states in canon that a given location was NOT nuked.
For instance it states specifically that the only nuclear strikes in PA were the ones near Philly in canon - thus that means that Harrisburg, Carlisle, York (the BAE plant that made the M109/M8/M88/Bradley, Caterpillar, Harley), Allentown (the Mack assembly plant at Macungie), McConnellsburg (JLG assembly plant that was probably converted to military production), etc.. are all unaffected - thus the Soviets left a lot of targets untouched - and thats just PA
Old 07-08-2018, 05:42 AM

I can see two reasons to target Memphis.
1-Naval Air Station Millington was a major training base up until 1993 and then became a "support activity". It is less than 20 miles from downtown Memphis.
2-There are two major bridges over the Mississippi river in Memphis, if they are taken out it leaves a 125 mile gap with no bridges over the river.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo4795 View Post
1-Naval Air Station Millington was a major training base up until 1993 and then became a "support activity". It is less than 20 miles from downtown Memphis.
And given the huge call up of manpower, unseen since WWII, training centres would be overflowing with recruits, with new ones established and old ones quickly refurbished and brought back online.
And then there's the whole T2K being written before the place was downgraded thing....

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 07-08-2018, 05:43 PM
Banned

Guys keep in mind - limited nuclear strikes - in other words they didnt hit every vital bridge, power station, city, base, etc.. - if they had then it would have been a no holds barred all out exchange - which is not what happened

So most likely most of those places you are saying got hit by nukes - didnt

i.e. if they didnt hit NYC, if they didnt hit Boston, if they didnt hit Harrisburg or York (the bridges across the Susquehanna, the BAE plant that makes a ton of military vehicles, etc..), if they didnt hit Miami then most likely a lot of places were left untouched

keep in mind that a lot of what they hit were refineries and they didnt even get all of them - thus a LIMITED strike
Old 07-08-2018, 05:57 PM

I wasn't advocating an all out exchange or that they should take out every bridge or crossroads, just a plausible reason for targeting Memphis.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:06 PM

This

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo4795 View Post
I can see two reasons to target Memphis.
2-There are two major bridges over the Mississippi river in Memphis, if they are taken out it leaves a 125 mile gap with no bridges over the river.
Four railroad and highway bridges cross the Mississippi River at Memphis; the Frisco Bridge (single-track rail), the Harahan Bridge (double-track rail), the Memphis-Arkansas Memorial Bridge (Interstate 55), and the Hernando de Soto Bridge (Interstate 40). The two rail bridges carry several major east-west railroad freight lines, and also the major north-south railroad lines that run through Memphis and connect with Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Louisville, New Orleans, Dallas, Houston, Mobile and Birmingham.

Also the Port of Memphis is the second largest inland cargo port on the Mississippi River, and the 4th largest inland Port in the United States.

Memphis International Airport is the global hub of FedEx Express and is the second largest cargo airport in the world. It is also one of the 50 busiest passenger airports in the U.S. and has 4 runways ranging from 8,946 feet to 11,120 feet in length. There is also Millington Memphis Airport located at the former Naval Air Station in Millington which was an active military base until 1995. In 1998 the name of the remaining naval base (non-airfield) was changed to the Naval Support Activity Mid-South to better reflect its role and it employs 6000 military, civilian and contractor on the 1,950 acre site.

Also the Memphis Light, Gas and Water Division (MLGW) is the largest three-service municipal utility in the U.S.

Memphis is important
Old 07-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

and Memphis wasnt hit in the exchange - end of story - like I said there were lots of places that by all rights should have been hit but werent - heck look at how many STATES never got hit let alone cities

But keep in mind if you really want those bridges taken down there are a lot of ways to take them out that have nothing to do with nukes

things like for instance a Soviet sabotage attack that damages the bridges to where they couldnt be used

or a major rail accident (again helped by said saboteurs) that accomplishes the same thing - and then when things go to hell after the TDM the repairs never got completed - so now you have MilGov after they spent nearly a year taking the place by siege having to spend scarce resources and engineering assets on finally getting the bridges fixed - would make a great idea for adventures - i.e. the equipment is missing vital spare parts which can only be found in XXXXX and the party is tasked with getting them
Old 07-08-2018, 07:55 PM

Also bear in mind nukes are essentially a dual purpose weapon.
Firstly there's the blast and thermal damage, basically everything that happens to the target in the first few minutes and hours.
Secondly there's the lasting fallout and radioactive zone which conventional munitions don't have. This is probably an even more important factor than the initial strike when deciding on targets. If an area can be denied to the enemy over a long period of time...
I've mentioned it numerous times over the years how valuable fear can be for an attacker. A factory worker hears a report about the city a few hundred miles away with a plant that builds APCs getting nuked. Their own city has a plant building SP artillery. Will he show up for work the next day, or grab his family, load up the car with everything they can carry, and get the hell out of town?
Nukes are MUCH scarier than conventional weapons, even chemical and biologicals. Conventional explosions can kill of course, but they generally don't have a lasting effect. Chemical and biologicals generally don't have blast damage, and their other, main effects, can generally be mitigated somewhat. Nuclear weapons on the other hand do initial blast as well as the terrifying lasting effects of radiation.

[/rambling]

Mors ante pudorem
Old 07-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Triple action. Don't forget EMP.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Triple action. Don't forget EMP.
How did I forget that!
I suppose you could lump it into the more immediate effects. By itself though it's not likely to kill many people, and it's effects are repairable.
Problem is of course the actual explosion and aftermath make it very, very difficult to repair the EMP damage in any sort of shortish time frame.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 07-09-2018, 09:12 AM
Banned

FYI in this case the plant building the APC's and the SPG are the same factory - i.e. the BAE plant in York PA

which we know wasnt nuked

One thing I would consider in a campaign is you can get too nuke happy - i.e. this is a limited nuclear war - thus you arent going to get nukes hitting targets everywhere - not unless you want to change the backstory to a general nuclear exchange

now Europe is different - keep in mind that there you are dealing with battlefield and theater nukes - something you wont see in the US outside of Canada and Alaska - also you can have a hell of a disruption with a nuke with no blast at all - i.e. a pure EMP strike alone - which will fry a hell of a lot of electronics all by itself and cause almost no damage unless you are looking at the higher altitude burst - but screw things up royally on ground when cars wont start, electrical generating stations shut down, computer control systems burn out, etc..
Old 07-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Banned

FYI - you may want to update your map with the Canadian strikes as well - not all of them but the ones close to the border would definitely affect the US - meaning you didnt get any strikes in western NY but you did get strikes against Canada that would send refugees streaming south for sure into that area
Old 07-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Banned

and for added environment while reading this thread you can watch nuke detonation videos

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/07/...lassified.html

Tags
maps, nuclear strikes, united states