RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-03-2018, 07:53 AM

Default Semi-OT: Rhodesian Cobra

On today's Forgotten Weapons, Ian covered the 1970's Rhodesian Cobra 9mm carbine. It is relevant here because it is a good representative of the general quality of firearm that would constructed circa 2000.

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/rho...a-smg-carbine/

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 08-06-2018, 01:55 PM
Banned

Would definitely be a weapon for the East African Sourcebook especially for anyone going into the Congo where there were Zimbabwe troops fighting or may be a weapon that you would encounter in the hands of either Rwandans or the Lord's Army troops (i.e. Ugandan veterans) who picked them up off the battlefield for their own use
Old 08-07-2018, 06:03 AM

Only a handful still in firing condition though with most having been deactivated (aka cut apart and welded up).
Be a VERY rare encounter.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-07-2018, 06:35 AM
Banned

Oh I know it would be very rare - but its those "what the heck is that?" finds that can liven up a game instead of the usual AK-47/M-16 kind of guns
Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Only a handful still in firing condition though with most having been deactivated (aka cut apart and welded up).
Be a VERY rare encounter.
Maybe I misread OP, but I took " good representative of the general quality of firearm that would constructed circa 2000" to mean an example of the kind of thing being knocked out in people's tool sheds and basement workshops. New 'production', not decades-old souvenirs pressed into service.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:28 AM

Of course, but I was specifically replying to Olefin's comment about that particular weapon.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stg58fal View Post
Maybe I misread OP, but I took " good representative of the general quality of firearm that would constructed circa 2000" to mean an example of the kind of thing being knocked out in people's tool sheds and basement workshops. New 'production', not decades-old souvenirs pressed into service.
I agree with both viewpoints - i.e. that it would be typical of new weapons being made in tool sheds and that also you would have decades old souvenirs also being used as well - thats why I love Paul's site - its a virtual cornucopia of "what the heck is that and where did he/she get it" weapons - also Africa is one of those places where you find just about anything when it comes to weapons - and seeing an old Cobra in service wouldnt surprise me at all - especially since the Zimbabwe Army took over just about everything they could find that the Rhodesians had that was still serviceable
Old 08-08-2018, 08:40 AM

Watching that video though and seeing the issues they had with firing it, I'm left wondering just how quickly they'd be swapped for something more conventional.
Better than nothing sure, but if you're either having stoppages with nearly every round, or dumping the entire mag downrange in an instant, you'd be sorely tempted to just pick up a rock or spear and use that instead.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-08-2018, 09:31 AM
Banned

I would take just about any firearm over a rock or a spear - even just for the intimidation factor - i.e. not too many guys are going to mess with you if you dump a whole magazine into the bushes - thats usually when most typical marauders or criminals out to ambush you decide its time to move on

And Africa has a long tradition of home made weapons that dont fire very well - yet they keep making them - ie. better than a rock or spear even if it jams a lot

Last edited by Olefin; 08-08-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stg58fal View Post
Yes, this is what I meant. Most new production weapons will be similar to the Cobra, not the M16 or even AK. We are talking about Khyber Pass weapons here.

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 08-10-2018, 02:14 PM
Banned

FYI some links of real world articles on such homemade weapons used by criminals in Kenya

https://www.standardmedia.co.ke/arti...uns-in-nairobi

https://www.nation.co.ke/counties/na...w9h/index.html