RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 03-13-2015, 11:16 PM
Internet Intellectual

Default Vehicle suggestions

I don't recall if there is a general vehicles thread. Each has been dedicated to one specific vehicle.

So suggest away... What to add to the game. What to take away / delete. What is your reasoning?

I think there is enough drawbacks for the Project to have stopped with the V-150 by the early eighties and adopted a different wheeled APC entirely.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:34 PM

Its odd, but my group wanted to use a modified Humvee. And I can see the benefits if allowed to modify the basic body rather than use the standard body. I believe in the end we wanted to heavily modify a armored M997 Maxi-Ambulance with the extra space given to the groups cargo needs and seating and a new gun with hatch mounted on the roof.

I can also see the worth of a Stryker as a transport choice though I would think the weight mat be an issue at times. But it has the benefits of being tough enough to deal with most issues and cargo capacity.

Me, I always figured that putting all the eggs in a single basket was a bad idea and that the option for modified jeeps would be the way to go. Two jeeps per team and if you were waking up five years after a nuclear war they would have the benefit of plenty of spare parts and easy to repair. Using a basically now civilian vehicle has the benefits of blending in more as well.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:32 AM

I don't have the new version yet, just the old version... but I think Science-One was the only vehicle I kept the last time I played. The rest are dated and/or impractical and/or conspicuous compared to what else they could do. The Science-One I kept because, being original it could be presumed to be cutting edge, because there were no other mobile science labs I could find, and because I couldn't think of anything better!

I did reject 3 vehicles before any others - MARS-One, the hovercraft, and the gyrocopter. The first is just a ridiculous combat vehicle, and the other two are inferior to simply having boats, APC's, and helicopters.

I recently started putting together a new Project - as a GM, I want a decent idea of overall structure, scope, and TOE before I start the game. I assumed the War occurred at today + 2 years, near enough to keep things current but far enough to allow for nuclear war to reasonably happen. I tried to pick vehicles that were (a) armored all over (because MP members are NOT disposable!), (b) easy enough to build and/or move within the US, and (c) consistent with what I saw as the needs of the project.

For the most part, I used Strikers as my main Recon and MARS vehicle, with some Bradleys for the tougher MARS crews. I used the Lockheed-Martin JLTV as my "jeep" and the M1074 heavy truck as my primary support vehicle for Specialty teams. The only hovercraft I have on my TOE is the LCAC, because a good deal of my higher structure is devoted to logistical support to the teams.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:58 PM

I'm leaning more away from military vehicles myself. It is a lot easier to find spare parts for vehicles that are based on commercial designs then military designs.

The Terradyne Gurkha series that is based on the Ford F550 platform. The 3 different models can be modified for MP use, to provide different teams a vehicle on a common platform.

LAPV or RPV - Recon, MARS, etc
MPV - CP, Ambulance, Specialty Team, etc

http://www.terradyneinc.com/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-Jiz3YVGI&t=87
Old 03-21-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I'm leaning more away from military vehicles myself. It is a lot easier to find spare parts for vehicles that are based on commercial designs then military designs.
Why would the Project base their supply chain on scavenging? The F550 is not the most common vehicle anyway, and by the time the Project was done ripping out parts and replacing them with a fusion reactor and other devices, there really would not be much left that was likely to need replacing!

Quote:
The Terradyne Gurkha...
The vehicle itself is not unreasonable - my biggest complaints are that as a police vehicle it is relatively poorly armored. The Project was planning on coming in post-war, I would expect to at least occasionally face military weaponry and vehicles, not to mention IED's. I picked something similar to use as an auxiliary, XR311-type vehicle, but I think Recon and MARS teams would need something more rugged.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:05 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
Why would the Project base their supply chain on scavenging? The F550 is not the most common vehicle anyway, and by the time the Project was done ripping out parts and replacing them with a fusion reactor and other devices, there really would not be much left that was likely to need replacing!
I believe Nuke11 means in general. There would have been more factories, warehouses, and supply parts depots for these civilian components versus trying to find the correct drive train parts for the 5ton truck drive train used on the V150. Commercial diesel motor if you supply some to police or state survivors and a commercial transmission in either case.

Quote:
The vehicle itself is not unreasonable - my biggest complaints are that as a police vehicle it is relatively poorly armored. The Project was planning on coming in post-war, I would expect to at least occasionally face military weaponry and vehicles, not to mention IED's. I picked something similar to use as an auxiliary, XR311-type vehicle, but I think Recon and MARS teams would need something more rugged.
Meh, the V-150 of 3rd edition is an APC with enough armor to survive hits by 7.62N armor piercing and 155mm HE fragments with detonation at minimum of 50 meters. The same standard for the M113. The Stryker is better surviving hits from 14.5mm due to the reality that this is common on 3rd world technicals.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:

What is your idea for a fusion conversion? Remove all of the running gear from the vehicle and substitute electric motors at the wheels?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:07 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke11 View Post

The Terradyne Gurkha series that is based on the Ford F550 platform. The 3 different models can be modified for MP use, to provide different teams a vehicle on a common platform.

LAPV or RPV - Recon, MARS, etc
MPV - CP, Ambulance, Specialty Team, etc

http://www.terradyneinc.com/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ-Jiz3YVGI&t=87
Excellent, I downloaded the .pdf files includes on their web page...... It is almost like they are war gamers too.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I don't have the new version yet, just the old version... but I think Science-One was the only vehicle I kept the last time I played. The rest are dated and/or impractical and/or conspicuous compared to what else they could do. The Science-One I kept because, being original it could be presumed to be cutting edge, because there were no other mobile science labs I could find, and because I couldn't think of anything better!
I use the MGM-134 mobile launcher as my Science Rover chassis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MGM-134_Midgetman

http://www.hill.af.mil/library/facts...et.asp?id=5717

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T80V5rbfZ6o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy4J-ZZ7MPo

I change the trailer to lab space and give a walk through from cab to trailer. I also make the trailer the expandable type where the walls fold down into a larger volume space like an RV
Old 09-10-2015, 01:04 PM

I would probably use this as the base instead:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_...Tactical_Truck

A little more modern, a little more rugged, etc. Personal preference, really. But I would probably still build from scratch for Science 1, I think it would be worthwhile.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:17 PM

I don't think the Hemmet is more rugged than the Hardened Mobile Launcher. Hemmets aren't designed to survive the sorts of blast over pressure the HML was