RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 11-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Activist Rules Lawyer

Default OT: The Road movie

Happy Thanksgiving!

Anyone going to see The Road which is coming out in theaters Nov.25? We've mentioned this book on this board a few times.

http://theroad-movie.com/
Old 11-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator

I'm not sure. I'm curious but I don't want it to taint the experience when I read the book again.

I've read The Road twice now and I must say that it's the most emotionally exhausting reading experience I've ever had. It's the only novel that's ever made me cry. I don't know if it would affect me so if I didn't have my own young son. Regardless, it's a brilliant novel, well deserving of the Pulitzer, IMHO.

If the film is even half as powerful as the novel, I'm not sure I'm ready for it. It's definitely light holiday season fare.

If anyone sees the film, PLEASE post a review here.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 11-25-2009, 05:44 PM

I'm currently reading the book for the first time. I'm about halfway through now, and it is one of the most powerful books I have ever read. I can't recommend it highly enough to any of you who haven't read it.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:08 PM

It's certainly heart wrenching, and even more so when you realise that there simply isn't any hope for their situation to improve. Several years after the "event" (whatever it was) there's nothing left but ashes and despair.

I just don't know how they can translate that effectively to the screen without inducing mass depression in the audience.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 11-25-2009, 07:55 PM

I recently visited a major book store to buy a copy of The Road and they had run out of stock. I intend to see the film when it is released in Australia but I'd like to read the book first.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Your local library is a good place to start.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 11-26-2009, 12:33 AM

"The Road" was in the last "Festival de Cinema FantÃ*stic de Catalunya, Sitges 2009" http://sitgesfilmfestival.com/cas/film/?id=10001247.

My friends, great lovers of the sci-fi and the fantastic genre, always save ten days of their holidays to go to the Festival. They use to rent an apartment for its entire duration on the Festival. One of them owns a web site about movie reviews and has earned the precious "Press Pass"! I always pay them a visit with my wife, watching some movie in the process. I will ask them about the film.

BTW, I take the opportunity to recommend yout the Sitges Festival. Zombie-fans in the streets and all the stuff. Very informal. Those of you who likes the terror, sci-fi, fantastic or anime genre will enjoy the event, for sure.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:48 AM

Default I got that too

It is a father /son story ,but sure hits you on a lot of other levels too.

So the common understanding is that the story ends without hope ?

I must admit thatthe phrases about the " trout in the streams with patterns on its back" etc didnt give me a clue -it just seemed like life was headed towards a more primordial stage -more primitive beings were the only ones to survive ?

The man with the shotgun towards the end opened a glimmer of hope imho .Could he have some sort of wood lore that means the future lays in a neolithic way of life -away from the remains of the dead civilizations ?

just asking the book circle a few questions here ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
I'm not sure. I'm curious but I don't want it to taint the experience when I read the book again.

I've read The Road twice now and I must say that it's the most emotionally exhausting reading experience I've ever had. It's the only novel that's ever made me cry. I don't know if it would affect me so if I didn't have my own young son. Regardless, it's a brilliant novel, well deserving of the Pulitzer, IMHO.

If the film is even half as powerful as the novel, I'm not sure I'm ready for it. It's definitely light holiday season fare.

If anyone sees the film, PLEASE post a review here.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
I intend to see the film when it is released in Australia but I'd like to read the book first.
Just went into town and bought the book.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters View Post
The man with the shotgun towards the end opened a glimmer of hope imho.
I had the same impression. Well, at the end of the reading you are wishing for this little glimmer of hope. And my subjective mind take the man with the shotgun as an incarnation of this wish, though the background picture is so ominous... About the man with the shotgun, is he alone? Anyway the human goodness survives and this is the answer to the question that the father has been asking to himself during the travel. The long-term survival of any community that still deserved to be qualified as "human" needs this goodness in some way or another.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:08 AM

I will watch the film as soon as I get the chance.

Re Book, dont read further if not read....

My feeling at the end of the book was one of cautious optimism. It was one of a Man's struggle (for the boy, not himself) achieving some success, at least in context with the limitations of the scenario.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:44 PM

Although the last scene appears to show some hope for the future, the the futility of the situation is detailed time and time again throughout the book.
Nothing grows anymore, even the rats have died off due to the extreme lack of food. Only a few crumbs scavanged from the most hidden and unlikely places remain to support the last few humans on the planet, but these can't last much longer.

The extreme lack of food is nearly the characters undoing on several occasions throughout the book, and is reinforced by the spectre of canablism. The baby for example is a very powerful image.

There may be some enclave of civilisation hidden away somewhere, but their entire ecosystem would have to be self contained. Sunlight is almost completely blocked out by clouds of ash so artifical lighting for greenhouses would be vital. Fuel to power those greenhouses is definately going to be an issue although hydroelectricity is a possible option if the ash could be prevented from fouling the system.

And then there's the roving bands of mauraders, etc. If word leaked out of such an enclave, it would be soon attacked and destroyed by those outside, desperate for just one more meal.

My reading of it is that the atmosphere may clear given a few hundred, or few thousand years, but there's not going to be any life left - even the seas have died by the time of the book (which I estimate to be only 5-6 years after the event - the boy doesn't seem much older than that).

Mors ante pudorem
Old 11-27-2009, 02:56 AM

Just finished the book this morning - amazing read, one of the most powerful books I have ever read. I'm in two minds about the movie now though - I don't know if they'll manage to stay true to the book, given Hollywoods obsession with happy endings
Old 11-30-2009, 02:56 AM

Well, Legbreaker, yours is a far more convincing and logical arguement.

As I said, in the limits of the Mans's scenario he had succeeded...for now (imo).

The future? Well, the Human race are survivors. Given the limited information given in the book, I would like to believe that there was some hope. But it is written well and leaves this for the reader to ponder - I doubt the film will be so but who knows.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 AM

Just finished reading The Road. What a serious bummer. Well written, sure, realistic? Yes. But I'm not sure if I'm better off having read it or not. It has sure put me in a dark mood for the rest of my afternoon.

At least in the T2K universe there is some hope for a brighter future.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:06 AM

Default agreed

Quote:
Just finished reading The Road. What a serious bummer. Well written, sure, realistic? Yes. But I'm not sure if I'm better off having read it or not. It has sure put me in a dark mood for the rest of my afternoon.

Cormack McCarthy is a harsh writer .

I sometimes think of the various parts of the book still and shudder.

You should read "The Blood Meridian " and "The Border Trilogy" ( different settings for sure - but darn fine reads all the same )
Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 AM

Quote:

I saw The Road as the first chapter in a T2K piece. Kinda like the first 10 minutes of a James Bond movie. It sets the tone.

Sure, the Road finishes on a downer. But its really just the start, a lead in to the new brighter begining that is yet to be written. Bring on ye happy days!!! (secretly thinking of all the other demoralising T2K themed threads :-)
Old 01-21-2010, 03:39 AM

Hope for the future and brighter days to come?

Have you actually read the book? Doesn't seem to be much hope to me besides the inevitable extinction of virtually all life on the planet...

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-21-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Doesn't seem to be much hope to me besides the inevitable extinction of virtually all life on the planet...
Yeah, that is the vibe I got from the book. It was even more of a bummer to read than Stephen Baxter's Titan.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:29 AM

Might have to go see this one, and if I do ill give you a perspective from of not having red the book. Though I'm gonna go see Eli first.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:42 AM

Just seen the film (odd the delay in release over here in UK).

As usual, it isnt on a par with the book but very well done none the less. I think that you are so immersed in the emotions and relationship of the man and boy that only a book can give full impact.

Excellent, despite the few little changes, not the usual rewrite for film.

It isnt a film for the masses (I already heard some inane statements from people who saw it and didnt 'get it'), but those who read this site are 'special'

Tags
movies, post apoc