RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
What if one of the Australians was Yahoo Serious?
Was he Australian? I thought he was a Martian.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
Condorman? Loved it as a little kid; watched it again a few years ago... Sheesh! It did not hold up at all.
I had read somewhere that there was going to be a remake of Disney's Condorman to make it as a light family comedy just as the original had been. But i don't know if it's still going to get made.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
I For example, John Carpenter's _The Thing_ was far superior to the original.
While i agree that John Carpenter's the thing was a real good movie i still must take violent exception to this sentiment

Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie View Post
I remember seeing Red Dawn while on Liberty Weekend in Boot Camp. (I also saw Ghostbusters, Condorman, and Yentl -- don't ask -- that same weekend.) It has long been one of my favorite movies.

I'm not sure that a remake would really have the same impact today as it did 25 years ago. We now live in a society that all-but demonizes the mere access to a firearm, much less teaching our children how to actually use such an "evil thing". To show a group of high school students who not only have access to and know how to use guns but who are also willing to do so against other human beings -- and yet keep from portraying them as a group of psychopathic juvenile delinquents -- is almost asking too much of the hankie-wringers who seem to be infesting Hollywood these days.

On the other tentacle, I would happily go see a true movie adaptation of Starship Troopers...I have nothing against the existing movie nor the "Roughnecks" animated series, but neither of them match very closely the way the book played out in my mind. I also second (or third or whatever) the suggestion of a movie made of The Forever War. For that matter, I would love to see movies of Old Man's War and any of the Falkenberg's Legion books. (I was given a copy of West of Honor as a commissioning present, and have carried it with me ever since.)
It's a bummer how the world has changed so much in 25 years. To me the 1980's don't seem that long ago, yet I feel like I'm an alien in this world of today. Heck, I work with people who are so young, they don't even remember the Cold War.

Chuck
Old 08-12-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man 1966 View Post
It's a bummer how the world has changed so much in 25 years. To me the 1980's don't seem that long ago, yet I feel like I'm an alien in this world of today. Heck, I work with people who are so young, they don't even remember the Cold War.

Chuck
I feel the same way.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhere Man 1966 View Post
Heck, I work with people who are so young, they don't even remember the Cold War.

Chuck
I know what you mean - with working in the university most of my staff are aged 19 - 23!!! I'm such an old fart to them!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:06 PM

Any one ever see Invasion USA with Chuck Norris. One of the greats
Old 08-19-2009, 08:10 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
I agree. Totally unrealistic, but a lot of fun to watch!

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 PM

I can never understand why Chuck Norris never got an Oscar in 1985. Undoubtably the thinking man's Rambo.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN7 View Post
Ahhhh...The golden age of the videclubs! When I was a child it was one of the most difficult VHS films to find free in my videoclub, specially on saturday.
The kind of movie you must wait at the door asking to everyone who enters the videoclub wich movie was going to return, trying to "intercept the cargo" while still "on flight".

It makes me thing about my "the lost of the innocence" as a movie viewer. Beyond the evolution of my tastes about cinema, I recognize it will be my main obstacle to enjoy any remake about "Red Dawn".
Old 08-20-2009, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Ahhhh...The golden age of the videclubs! When I was a child it was one of the most difficult VHS films to find free in my videoclub, specially on saturday.
The kind of movie you must wait at the door asking to everyone who enters the videoclub wich movie was going to return, trying to "intercept the cargo" while still "on flight".

It makes me thing about my "the lost of the innocence" as a movie viewer. Beyond the evolution of my tastes about cinema, I recognize it will be my main obstacle to enjoy any remake about "Red Dawn".
I actually saw it on cinema when it first came out and the cinema was packed. Could never find it on VHS in the 80's and early 90's and still can't find it on DVD in any local stores. Must order it online and lock myself away for an evening with a six pack.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:19 AM

Anyone remember a mini series called Amerika about a Soviet takeover of the US? I think it came out in the late 80's / early 90's and starred Kris Kristofferson and Sam Neill.

I also recall a mini series starring David Soul where WW3 starts with US and Soviet soldiers fighting each other in Alaska; can't remember what that one was called but the ending was pretty grim...seem to remember that scenes of the two groups fighting each other in Alaska was interspersed with shots of the two countries' leaders in their respective war rooms...as the conflict in Alaska escalated so did the likliehood of the War going nuclear...
Old 08-20-2009, 06:42 AM

I remember Amerika, I felt a bit let down by it as its started off with a good setting and had Quislings et all, and then it went downhill. The so-called resistance did hardly anything, Sam Neil kept boring me and the serious ended with Kris Kristofferson being shot and America divided up into a smaller more manageable territories. Imagine America letting the UN led by the Soviets taking over and the US military doing nothing about it, yet alone the Americans themselves. Geez!

I never saw that serious with David Soul (thankfully) about Alaska in WW3. Ice Station Zebra is the closest I've seen to that, although I don't know if that was set in Alaska or somewhere in the Arctic Circle.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
I also recall a mini series starring David Soul where WW3 starts with US and Soviet soldiers fighting each other in Alaska; can't remember what that one was called but the ending was pretty grim...seem to remember that scenes of the two groups fighting each other in Alaska was interspersed with shots of the two countries' leaders in their respective war rooms...as the conflict in Alaska escalated so did the likliehood of the War going nuclear...
It's name was "World War 3", I think... They don't lost a lot of time with the title... I saw it about two years ago. Just entertaining, nothing else, as I recall it. The action scenes are its weakest point.

And saint Goggle says that:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084919/
Old 08-20-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
It's name was "World War 3", I think... They don't lost a lot of time with the title... I saw it about two years ago. Just entertaining, nothing else, as I recall it. The action scenes are its weakest point.

OOh I liked it back in the 80's.

as far as "Red Dawn" being remade I'm not getting my hopes up. I hope they do it right, but i can't see how.
"There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
--General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:05 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:

IIRC, it ended with Rock Hudson (who played the President) saying: "They're going to launch. And those bombers are not going to turn back." That was right after he got off the Red Phone, and the Russian President assured him there wasn't going to be a war in a rather sarcastic tone of voice. And then he put his face in his hands; he know what he was going to have to do.

And the tactic that David Soul's character used called "Buzzsaw" -- I wasn't even in ROTC yet and I knew that was more of a die-in-place tactic. Laying in those pipes, you have good cover from the sides, but the front, a good spray or a grenade will take you out, and you've got no place to go.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
IIRC, it ended with Rock Hudson (who played the President) saying: "They're going to launch. And those bombers are not going to turn back." That was right after he got off the Red Phone, and the Russian President assured him there wasn't going to be a war in a rather sarcastic tone of voice. And then he put his face in his hands; he know what he was going to have to do.

And the tactic that David Soul's character used called "Buzzsaw" -- I wasn't even in ROTC yet and I knew that was more of a die-in-place tactic. Laying in those pipes, you have good cover from the sides, but the front, a good spray or a grenade will take you out, and you've got no place to go.
if only they had more ammo.......
"There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
--General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:13 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I remember that show World War III, and sorry Brian Keith as the Russian premier didn't cut it, nor his son the kid who was the kid on "Time Travelers." I remember the premis, the Sovs were having issues, they had riots over bread, kind like 1917, so they had the Soviet Desante team do their thing and attack our Alaska oil pipeline.

It also dealt with the Sov Backfire bombers which were also a thing at that time as well, so many issues of the day were crammed into the three part mini series.

And yes if the national guard troops had not had more ammo but if they would have fired on SEMI AUTO and aimed rather than fired all their ammo in a burst they could have done a dam dam to the Ruskies.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:

What was particularly good about that page was the "if you like this then try these...." section - "Seven Days In May" and "Fail Safe" - two really great Cold War movies...
Old 08-21-2009, 01:56 PM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlearmies View Post
What was particularly good about that page was the "if you like this then try these...." section - "Seven Days In May" and "Fail Safe" - two really great Cold War movies...
I haven't seen Seven Days in May, but Fail Safe is an iconic Cold War movie. I read the book before I saw the movie, though -- I had a totally different idea of what the Vindicator bomber looked like (I was thinking more XB-70 Valkyrie) than the B-58 Hustlers they used in the movie.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
I haven't seen Seven Days in May, but Fail Safe is an iconic Cold War movie. I read the book before I saw the movie, though -- I had a totally different idea of what the Vindicator bomber looked like (I was thinking more XB-70 Valkyrie) than the B-58 Hustlers they used in the movie.
You've missed a "goodie" - "Seven Days In May" is a pretty good film about a US president who is about to sign a nuclear disarmament treaty with the Russians (the film was made in 1964 but set in 1970) - the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs plans a coup because of fears the Russkies are going to doublecross America. A USMC Colonel working at the Pentagon gets wind of the plot and has to track it down before his boss (loosely based on Curtis LeMay) executes the plan.

Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner - what's not to like?

Tags
movies