RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-18-2017, 07:20 AM
Banned

Default Happy July 18

Celebrating the official beginning of the game (July 18, 2000 destruction of the 5th at Kalisz) and my birthday as well.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Celebrating the official beginning of the game (July 18, 2000 destruction of the 5th at Kalisz) and my birthday as well.
Happy birthday then.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:50 AM
Banned

Thanks Roel - always thought it was interesting that the game start was my 35th birthday - gave me a connection with it that I didnt have with other games because of that
Old 07-18-2017, 03:07 PM

Happy Birthday! No wonder you love this game so much!
Old 07-18-2017, 04:03 PM

That's kind cool. Happy birthday
Old 07-19-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
Thanks Roel - always thought it was interesting that the game start was my 35th birthday - gave me a connection with it that I didnt have with other games because of that
No problem, so do you think the game has survived the test of time.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:55 AM
Banned

I think that interest in the game has definitely passed the test of time - there are still several active forums here, on yahoo and on facebook discussing the game and there continues to be people buying the pdf's on Marc's site as well as the games themselves when they become available on e-bay and other sites

and the fact that my East Africa Sourcebook has sold 208 copies in three and a half months in release just on Marc's site alone and no where else shows there is definite interest in new material - and from what I hear there are now multiple people working to get new material published as a result

as to the game standing up the test of time itself - the game is still very playable and its mechanics and flow are ones that still interest new players - while its scenario is now very dated - with it now being more of a nostalgia game or alternate history game then of its original purpose as a view of what the near term future might be - it is one that is still open ended and can tell new stories

I would say one thing that needs to be updated about the game is the fact that it definitely does not portray the US armed forces correctly - many of its authors served in the US military but not the military that went out and won Desert Storm and showed its prowess again in the 2003 defeat of Iraq and Afghanistan - in many ways it shows a military more similar to the Vietnam military - and thus it gives it very short thrift - and I find its portrayal of the US Navy to be very bad indeed - it makes the Soviet Navy much more effective than it ever was and the USN much less so

having the Marines lose as many men as they did getting to Korea for instance is almost a slur against the USN - no way would they let them get butchered that badly - and the battle with the Virginia in Satellite Down is flat out comical - even to the point of having the Soviets have a superior naval force off the US Pacific Coast that late in the war? Sorry but no way

And saying that there literally is no USN unit still active on the Pacific Coast by Satellite Down - that part of the game needs some serious updating and mods for any new releases
Old 08-15-2017, 04:00 PM

Belated Happy Birthday man and congrats on being published. Having read the source book you posted here...You earned it.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:14 PM
Banned

and yet another Happy July 18 to all on the board - celebrating the 18th anniversary of the destruction of the 5th Infantry Division (for those who have extended the timeline in your games and campaigns) and my 53rd birthday (ughh) all at the same time - happy gaming to all - and as long as the board and others like it are still here you definitely are not on your own
Old 07-18-2018, 12:21 PM

Happy Birthday, and I agree with what you stated a year ago about the need for update/ret-con of the naval stuff at least...
Old 07-19-2018, 11:46 AM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Happy Birthday. May all your birthdays celebrate glorious victories, or at least the escapes from dire circumstances.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:46 PM

Belated Happy Birthday!
Old 07-18-2019, 03:11 PM
Banned

and yet another happy July 18 to everyone as we toast yet again the day of the death of the 5th Division and the official start of "you are on your own"
Old 07-18-2019, 10:33 PM

Happy Birthday Olefin!!