RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 11-05-2020, 09:59 PM

Default Another PC Sheet (Spreadsheet)

Well, first post… Here goes (if I can get uploading figured out... :/

Attached is a revision of a PC Sheet from here on the forum, I plagarized heavily. Sorry. But it was a great starting point!

Built in Excel (2019).

Basically, you type in the “white” cells, gray cells are reference info or descriptions, and calculations are in green cells.

My party was coming back to T2K after a 20 year hiatus, and kept getting mired down in the math as we learned the v2.2 system (we had been v1 users back in the late 80’s). Heck, basic rules were getting forgotten, requiring pulling up the books in the middle of a firefight.

This version has run through limited play-testing. But seems to figure out the math and lets the player focus on the game.

The gun section works for Pistols, Rifles, and Autoguns. I’m working on blocks for LCG and heavy-weapons. After poring over Paul Mulcahy’s site, I’ve tried to adjust the calculations to work with gun values from the books and his tables.

I’m also working on a modified NPC sheet that distills this down to a page, where changing a drop-down list of NPC-levels will recalc the stats.

I’m open to suggestion on this sheet, especially as the calculations are kind of over-complicated, and you may not agree with how I’ve interpreted rules, or you may find outright errors and mistakes.

See what you think. “You’re on your own…”

(Well, actually, feel free to message me and I’ll try to fix or enhance as feedback comes in. Updates will be saved with teh latest date in the filename.)

Drag-n-Drop didn't work right, so here's a Google-drive link...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1osL...ew?usp=sharing

UPDATED - finally figured out the upload steps... FNG...
Twilight2000 Blank PC Sheet 5-pg REVISED 2020-11-05.xlsx

Last edited by WTFisGoingOnInHere; 11-12-2020 at 09:04 PM. Reason: adding attachment
Old 11-05-2020, 10:05 PM

Oh, and I directly stole Armor rules suggested by SwagHauler and others in another forum-entry.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFisGoingOnInHere View Post
Oh, and I directly stole Armor rules suggested by SwagHauler and others in another forum-entry.
You cannot steal what's freely given. Feel free to use ANYTHING I've posted here and PM me if you have any questions.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:27 PM

Attachment 4524

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem

Last edited by Legbreaker; 04-29-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
You cannot steal what's freely given. Feel free to use ANYTHING I've posted here and PM me if you have any questions.
Great! I was worried I may have immediately pissed off the core group with a first post...

I tried to work in the the ideas from the other thread where you guys really went in-depth on various Armor rules.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:02 PM

The weapon-calculator section does a lot of the heavy lifting on the math. It seemed to work well for my group, as there were a couple who had never played T2K, and the rest of us were learning the 2.2 rules, after a 20+ year hiatus from v1.

Once your PC attributes are entered, you can just fill in the white squares with the weapon-stats.

Then ranges, dice numbers and damage values all solve for you. Ready for a quick reference during combat.

This is the values with a 6 STR, and 0 for Small Arms
Name:  Weapon-Stat Block2.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  126.2 KB

Twilight2000 Blank PC Sheet 5-pg REVISED 2020-11-05.xlsx

Last edited by WTFisGoingOnInHere; 11-12-2020 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Clarifying attachment
Old 11-12-2020, 09:08 PM

And here's a shot with a STR 6, and Small Arms of 3.

Name:  Weapon-Stat Block3.JPG
Views: 220
Size:  130.0 KB
Old 11-12-2020, 09:15 PM

The core rules seemed to say that Recoil for all shots should be summed and assigned to every bullet after the first...

Seeing as the spreadsheet makes short work of the math involved, I interpreted it more as each consecutive bullet fired suffered from more recoil.

So you end up with a rapidly reducing target number as the PC fires more shots.

The auto-fire rules gave me headaches figuring out stacked, range and recoil modifiers. So you can get to the point of trying to roll 1's on a single die pretty quick.
Old 11-13-2020, 12:54 PM

Default On managing fire over the course of a round

Quote:
The core rules seemed to say that Recoil for all shots should be summed and assigned to every bullet after the first...

Seeing as the spreadsheet makes short work of the math involved, I interpreted it more as each consecutive bullet fired suffered from more recoil.

So you end up with a rapidly reducing target number as the PC fires more shots.

The auto-fire rules gave me headaches figuring out stacked, range and recoil modifiers. So you can get to the point of trying to roll 1's on a single die pretty quick.
The stacking of shots drove me crazy for years, then I came to the conclusion that I should breakdown the round. First I used TW2K13's TIC System modified to V2.2 but I eventually went simpler. My system is actually posted in Admiral Lee's thread "THOUGHTS ON INITIATIVE." I will explain the basics here.

I have every PC & NPC roll 1D6 and add their INITIATIVE Score to it. I then divide by 2 rounding up. So a PC with INIT of 4 who rolls a 6 would have a 5 for their current initiative. If they rolled a 1, their initiative score would be a 3. I then match these scores to the 6 INITIATIVE STEPS presented in the RAW V2.2 game. In my system, EACH STEP IS EQUAL TO ONE SECOND OF TIME. I then allow activity equal to the rolled/calculated Initiative treating each STEP as a sort of "mini-round." Since each phase is 1 second, you can easily determine how many phases something takes you. Some sample times include...

Draw From Holster = 1 Second/Phase
Draw From Concealment = 2 Seconds/Phases
Reloading = 3 Seconds/Phases
Malfunction Reduction/Clearance = 3 Seconds/Phases
Punch = 1 Second/Phase
Kick/Grapple = 2 Seconds/Phases
Block/Parry = 1 Second/Phase
Pump/Lever a Shotgun/Rifle Action = 1 Second/Phases
Operate a Fast Bolt (Lee Enfield or Schmidt Ruben) = 2 Seconds/Phases
Operate a Slow Bolt (Mauser) = 3 Seconds/Phases
Arise From Prone = 2 Seconds/Phases
Arise From Kneeling = 1 Second/Phase
Low Crawl/Quiet Climb = 1m per Second/Phase
High Crawl/Walk = 2m per Second/Phase
Trot = 4m per Second/Phase
Run = 6m per Second/Phase
Snap Shot SHORT RANGE = 1 Second/Phase
Snap Shot MEDIUM RANGE = 2 Seconds/Phases
Snap Shot LONG RANGE = 3 Seconds/Phases
Snap Shot EXTREME RANGE = 4 Seconds/Phases
Snap Shot MAXIMUM RANGE = Not Allowed
Aimed Shot... 2X Snap Shot & 10 Second/Phases for Max Range

The reason for using the 6 Phases as "mini-rounds" is to break down the number of shot/bursts so they occur across the whole 6-Second Combat Round instead of all at once. This mitigates the power of Initiative 6 (or 7) PCs by spreading out their Actions in between the other players and NPCs. It also prevents the GM from suffering a nervous breakdown trying to manage all the PCs and several NPCs at once.

Controlling the Action:

To control the various Actions, I give my players a number of chips (poker chips in fact) equal to their Initiative score. They then surrender these chips as they perform their Actions. The system becomes intuitive pretty quickly.

Rates of Fire:

A typical shooter can normally achieve 1-second splits (the time between shots) on either an autoloading pistol or a double-action revolver. The issue is their skill managing the sights and the recoil. An experienced shooter can muster half-second splits. A true master can fire eight to ten rounds in a second. This assumes a STATIONARY TARGET AND SHOOTER firing at a known distance. Once you get into the real world, things slow down considerably due to variables like movement and range estimation. Thus, I now allow ONE SHOT (and 1 only shot) or ONE BURST per 1-second Initiative Step or Ranged Attack (longer ranges take more time). A player giving covering fire CAN fire a burst every Initiative Step until they run out of ammo.

Autofire & Buckshot:

Since a person fires only one burst or load of buckshot in a single Phase now, you can reduce both the number of dice and the size of the penalties for RECOIL. I give every automatic weapon a ROF equal to their CYCLIC RATE OF FIRE/100. Thus, an AK with a rate of 600 rounds per minute will have a ROF of 6. An M16A1 with a Cyclic Rate of 800 rpm will have a ROF of 8. This represents about 6/10th of a second of fire. The rest of the time needed to fire at the longer ranges can be accounted for with "target acquisition time." I do allow a person to "RAPID FIRE" 2 shots/bursts per second IF they accept a one level difficulty shift.

Recoil In The System:

Since each round is now broken into SIX "Mini-Rounds," Recoil is now figured for shots in a given 1-SECOND PHASE. You will find this system now makes Recoil work ok.

Single Shots = ALL single shots fired in a given Phase are added together and deducted from the shooter's STR. Any total OVER STR becomes a penalty to the 1D20 roll. Penalties are always ADDED to a roll (Bonuses are SUBTRACTED from a 1D20 roll). It is always easier to add 3 or 4 to a roll total than it is to recalculate the Chance of Success.

AutoFire = All excess RECOIL above STR is FIRST subtracted from the number of rounds in the burst. Once you hit 1 Die being rolled, any remaining excess RECOIL is added to the 1D20 roll. This is how I handle RECOIL in my modded Twilight2000.

Swag
Old 11-13-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
I know we're pretty retro here... but shouldn't that be a Chinese flag now?
Old 11-13-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I know we're pretty retro here... but shouldn't that be a Chinese flag now?
Nah, China's so much glass in T2k.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 11-19-2020, 08:06 PM

Damn, you've got a lot of detail in there, but you're saying play-ability wise that flows ok? That was my whole take on this, was to find ways to keep the tempo moving, and not bog down the group in the math.

I'll try this next session, and see if I can get them to bite.

But I'm also pretty sure I'm going to have some more questions...
Old 11-19-2020, 08:07 PM

And I missed the v3 system entirely. I haven't read up much on it. Might be interesting to poke through the material some.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Damn, you've got a lot of detail in there, but you're saying play-ability wise that flows ok? That was my whole take on this, was to find ways to keep the tempo moving, and not bog down the group in the math.

I'll try this next session, and see if I can get them to bite.

But I'm also pretty sure I'm going to have some more questions...
The key to making this work is getting your players to initially state WHAT they are doing thematically using a STATEMENT OF INTENT Phase. You then break down their actions into 1-second Phases based on that initial "Statement of Intent." For example...

"I'm running to the wall of the building to my right and I will then put grazing fire (snap shots) on any enemy soldiers I see."

1) YOU know the character is 10 meters from that wall. It will take him 2 1-Second Phases to move to that wall.
2) YOU know when he gets there, there will be two enemy soldiers running towards him. Those soldiers are at SHORT Range so each one will take a 1-Second Phase to shoot. If those soldiers were at MEDIUM Range (perhaps he has a pistol?), then each solder would take TWO 1-Second Phases to shoot at.

When I do the Statement of Intent Phase, I write each Declared Action on a sheet that is used to order ACTIONS by Phase. My sheet actually has 12 lines representing the PHASES on it because I play DARK CONSPIRACY too and many creatures like real-world snakes as well as "cryptids" such as werewolves or vampires can have SIGNIFICANTLY greater speeds than a normal human ever could. I simply give these creatures a higher INITIATIVE to represent their "superhuman speed."

So as I listen to the player's statements of intent, I write down on my Initiative Sheet (which is just 12 horizontal NUMBERED lines) in what PHASE each action will be resolved. I do "rollover" my ACTIONS into the following Round. This is important for things like grenade delays or timed explosives. I DO NOT require that my players use all of their Initiative Points on this initial statement. A PC (or NPC) CAN retain a point or two for defending against attacks (blocks and parries) or unexpected needs like movement. You WILL find though, that most players will want to do things that will burn up ALL their points very quickly. An average 1D6 roll will mean most players will have between 3 and 4 points which means that they can often only move and then do one Action in a 6 second Round (yes there are penalties for movement UNLESS the PC takes 1 Second to steady themselves after moving). This is in line with real life in combat. It also explains WHY I use poker chips for the player's Initiative Points. I find it easier to say "you owe me two chips for that shot" and they can immediately look to see how much they can still do based on the number of chips left in their hand. In the example above, if the PC had an Initiative of 4; he would start acting on Phase 4 by RUNNING. He would still be RUNNING on Phase 3 and would be SHOOTING SOLDIER #1 on Phase 2. He would then be SHOOTING SOLDIER #2 on Phase 1. This helps EVERYONE visualize when things are occurring during the Combat Round.

A quick "pro-tip" on the Statement Of Intent: I have the PCs with the highest INT+INIT and anyone with any TACTICS Skill (I added this after it appeared in TW2K13) declare their Intent LAST (so they can hear what everyone else is doing before they commit to an action) BUT I have people ACT based on the highest AGL+INIT (known as Weapon Speed). UNLESS it is "cinematic" or "significant to the storyline" to do otherwise, I always rule that whatever happens in a given PHASE, happens simultaneously. This means a PC can kill an adversary AND ALSO be killed either by THAT adversary or another one in the SAME PHASE.

Here's pro-tip number 2. When Initiating the Statement Of Intent, I give the PLAYERS just about 10 seconds to DECLARE their Actions for that Round. I try to "hurry" or "rush" the players so they cannot get into a "discussion" on the tactics they want to use. This also helps build the tension because I will "pass over" a dithering player (which drives MY players nuts) and even take a 1-second Action for them "hesitating" on me. YES... I'm pretty ruthless about this! The PCs are fighting for their LIVES, after all! My player's counter to this? They have established a number of SOPs for various encounter types and just call out what SOP they will use. You've gotta' LOVE inventive players!

This is the most "evolved" system based on the RAW game's PHASES that you can use and it will also allow you to keep an accurate time count because...

6 1-Second Phases = 1 Combat Round
10 Combat Rounds = 1 Minute
10 Minutes = 1 Turn (a time unit I use based on old AD&D for encounter pacing)
6 Turns = 1 Hour
4 Hours = 1 Period
6 Periods = 1 Day

A 4-Hour Period is often broken into 24 10-Minute Turns to list activities such as...
- Collecting Firewood
- Weapon & Vehicle Maintenance
- Cooking a Meal
- Tending Wounds
- Setting up or Breaking Down a Camp

* All of the listed activities take 1 or more 10-Minute Turns to perform just like Actions take 1-Second Phases to perform.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
The key to making this work is getting your players to initially state WHAT they are doing thematically using a STATEMENT OF INTENT Phase.
I've found this is the best way to approach play by post games too. Saves a LOT of time clarifying or adjusting actions based on new information.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 11-26-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
I've found this is the best way to approach play by post games too. Saves a LOT of time clarifying or adjusting actions based on new information.
I'll have to take your word for that because I have NEVER played in a PBM or online game. I can say that even with "theater of the mind" games, I STILL find myself often doing at least a rough paper draft for the position of various key elements in the encounter. It simply saves a lot of time if you can just look at it for yourself.