RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-05-2012, 04:31 PM

Default TW 2000 vs. TW 2013 burst fire rules

I was wondering what you thought about the burst rules for both systems? Both are quite different.

Twilight 2000 uses 1d6 for every bullet in a burst with a 6 being a hit. Burst volume can be quite high, emptying a clip in a turn not an issue. Bursts are modified by range and recoil. There is a danger zone to either side of the burst with missed dice being rerolled.

Twilight 2013, bursts give you a +1 bonus per extra bullet fired. The extra bullets have a 50% of hitting the same target. There is a rule for sustained fire giving the shooter an attack of opportunity.

Which one do you think is better?

Which one do you think replicates reality the best?

Why do you think the author choose his method?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 07:18 PM

The Twilight:2000 burst rules you mentioned are not familiar to me. Is that v2+?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
The Twilight:2000 burst rules you mentioned are not familiar to me. Is that v2+?
Yes.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:26 AM

I don't think either one of them is all that realistic, though I do like how in the v2 rules, you automatically miss with a portion of the burst as the range increases. At our last session of 2013, one of the PC's fired a 12.7mm Russian heavy machinegun, mounted on a vehicle, at a bad guy. Moving truck, at night, shooting at muzzle flashes. He was hoping to suppress the enemy long enough for the group to get away. I told him that realistically there was no way he was going to hit with more than one or two rounds out of the ten he fired, but go ahead and roll the dice anyway. He got something like seven hits on his target. Out of ten rounds. I was reminded of the GM's reaction in the scene in Gamers 2 when the bard tries to backstab the book and rolls a 1 on his hit roll, stabbing (and killing) himself. "That...was unprecedented."

I DO like how 2013 gives a bonus per round fired, and another when tracers are used. v2 rule is just too much dumb luck. You've got a 1 in 6 chance of hitting, no matter how good (or poor) you are with the weapon. IRL, skill does count when you're using automatic weapons.

I may have to work up some kind of homebrew rule for this. Combine v2/2.2's reduced number of rounds that can hit due to range, with 2013's bonuses to hit, and maybe go through some of my books for other systems and see what I can stea....er, adapt...for use in my campaign. IIRC, Shadowrun had a decent system (2nd and 3rd editions, anywya...I don't have 1st and haven't read 4th), though its been so long since I looked at my Shadowrun books, I can't remember for sure. Now I'm gonna have to go look that up....

Last edited by stg58fal; 09-06-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:59 AM

There are definitely realistic burst fire rules out there. I found some good ones that I used for many years...
Old 09-06-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
There are definitely realistic burst fire rules out there. I found some good ones that I used for many years...
LOL. Let me guess....

Now that I think about it, I remember how the auto-fire rules worked in Shadowrun, and they won't work for Twilight.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
From memory I think that the loads of D6 rules for burst fire are v1 and v2.0 - I think that they changed to a skill roll in v2.2

I'm sure that someone will correct me if my memory is wrong though.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:35 AM
Registered Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatatain View Post
From memory I think that the loads of D6 rules for burst fire are v1 and v2.0 - I think that they changed to a skill roll in v2.2

I'm sure that someone will correct me if my memory is wrong though.
I'm to lazy to look it up in the BYB, but I'm shure, that Mahatatain is right. You loose rounds/D20, depending on the range, but you roll for bullets, that can hit the enemy in V2.2!

@ Mahatatain:
Man, your nickname is a nightmare to write: Too man "ta"s, if you ask me

"IT'S A FREAKIN GAME, PEOPLE!"; Weswood, 5-12-2012
Old 09-06-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.T. View Post
I'm to lazy to look it up in the BYB, but I'm shure, that Mahatatain is right. You loose rounds/D20, depending on the range, but you roll for bullets, that can hit the enemy in V2.2!
And the chance of hitting is much less than 1 in 6 (as with v1 and v2.0) - in v2.2 you're rolling a task check against your Autogun skill for each bullet with a typical chance of hitting of 1 in 10 (1 or 2 on a D20) - the number of rolls you make is dictated by the number of rounds you fire, reduced by range and recoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.T. View Post
@ Mahatatain:
Man, your nickname is a nightmare to write: Too man "ta"s, if you ask me
Sorry - it's the name of an old character of mine that I loved but retired.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:57 PM

Oh yeah! I was looking at 2.0 My bad.

So Targan. What are these rules that your talking about?