RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 08-20-2018, 10:48 PM

Default Campaign Locations

Well, we've all played through Poland a few times at least!

What are some locations you have wanted to set a game in apart from Poland/Germany?

I wanted to do a steam boat island hopping south from The Philippines to Australia. PCs would have been embassy guards or similar trying to get a bunch of non-shooters home alive.
A 'pursuit fleet' would be generated that I hadn't fleshed out but they'd try and stop the ship from getting to Australia by any means possible. They'd be too tough to attack directly.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:02 AM

Korea would be nice and I've done a bit of work on the likely Australian and New Zealand units deployed there.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-21-2018, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Korea would be nice and I've done a bit of work on the likely Australian and New Zealand units deployed there.
+1
Old 08-21-2018, 06:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
So has Raellus in his Korean Sourcebook - you could use that too
Old 08-21-2018, 06:36 AM
Banned

You could use the East African Sourcebook for campaigns anywhere in East Africa - and there is canon info there that you could also use for the Congo or South Africa
Old 08-21-2018, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
So has Raellus in his Korean Sourcebook - you could use that too
Could, but I've focused all my attention on the Anzac forces and working on an OOB down to the smallest element and unit history that accurately reflects reality as closely as possible.
I've also had to work on the Australian/Indonesian conflict as well given Australia only has limited forces and with a threat close to home would only be able to spare a relatively token force to Korea.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-21-2018, 09:40 AM

I ran a T2k13 campaign that started in Russia. We only made it about 10 sessions or so when life took a dump on me and things just kind of fell apart. The group was part of an invasion force that was supposed to secure a beach head for a follow-on force, thereby opening up another front and relieving pressure in other areas. Unfortunately, the reinforcements never arrived, and eventually the President gave the "Good luck, you're on your own" speech. The invasion force attempted to pull out and head back to the US, and the Russians used what little air power they could field, as well as a tactical nuke, to destroy the invaders.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:25 AM

My collection of notes labeled "Home Front". The plan was a guard unit in Europe or Asia and their dependents back home. Two campaigns in one setting.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Could, but I've focused all my attention on the Anzac forces and working on an OOB down to the smallest element and unit history that accurately reflects reality as closely as possible.
I've also had to work on the Australian/Indonesian conflict as well given Australia only has limited forces and with a threat close to home would only be able to spare a relatively token force to Korea.
And thats pretty much what Raellus had there

Ok given what you just said about Australia/Indonesia you need to write that sourcebook - love to see what you have
Old 08-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Registered Registrant

Raellus has a general overview of an Australian task force sized group, not the details that Legbreaker is talking about.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Raellus has a general overview of an Australian task force sized group, not the details that Legbreaker is talking about.
I know thats why I would love to see him write a sourcebook or go in with someone with all the info he has - would make a great expansion for the game and a great new place to campaign

I think either Raellus or I would love to volunteer to put that together with Leg

Last edited by Olefin; 08-21-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:51 PM
Administrator

There's already a T2K setting for Australia. It's called, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.

In all seriousness, I wish Leg had chimed in earlier, before I submitted edits to the KPSB. I would have loved to include a more detailed ANZUK Brigade OOB, and he would have gotten an add in the acknowledgments section of the updated sourcebook.

Anyway, I'd love to see an Australasia Sourcebook of some sort.

To get back to Chalk's original question, I'd like to play in a CONUS game. I'm really interested in how my own national/regional/local society and culture would be affected by the Twilight War. I love Poland as a setting, but there are so many good PbPs and campaign journals out there on the interwebs that it almost feels too... familiar now.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 08-22-2018, 12:54 AM

I've actually stalled a bit on it due to lack of access to "Manual of Land Warfare. Part Two: Armour Training. Volume 1 Pamphlet NO 3: The Armoured Personnel Carrier Regiment"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-23-2018, 05:01 AM

Has anyone ever played in Britain?
Old 08-23-2018, 05:59 AM
A bad tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkLine View Post
Has anyone ever played in Britain?
Yea, we once started a campaign. Didn't go for so long. The TF-34 ship we were on got torpedoed and we managed to crawl unto Scotland and not freeze to death.

The plot would have been to get down to Portsmouth in time for shup stuck in repair to leave for the states.

Sadly, we ended shortly after Edinbourgh.
Old 08-23-2018, 06:55 AM
Banned

We played in Iran - Kings Ransom - both the scenario to get the jewels and also the "hey lets shoot us some generals" in the hotel - which was a load of fun as we actually got to do something that could actually affect the timeline - i.e. wipe out a bunch of commanders and grab the plans for a future offensive and get them back to the base
Old 08-24-2018, 07:45 AM

I ran a reasonably long campaign in the Caribbean. PCs started in one of the Dutch ABC islands having gotten back from Europe somehow (not really important). Premise was that the Dutch had enough organization to be a relative point of stability in a largely collapsed region and needed additional manpower to try to get control of and get back on line some Venezuelan oil resources. It was good fun.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Ephemera of the Big Ka-Boom

Default Fun in the Caribbean Sun (possible spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy View Post
I ran a reasonably long campaign in the Caribbean. PCs started in one of the Dutch ABC islands having gotten back from Europe somehow (not really important). Premise was that the Dutch had enough organization to be a relative point of stability in a largely collapsed region and needed additional manpower to try to get control of and get back on line some Venezuelan oil resources. It was good fun.
"Gateway to the Caribbean" is a trove of adventure seeds and paths to success in the Post-Whoops world, if one uses the little clues and opportunities provided. Well-equipped, poorly-trained opponents holding local shipbuilders with vital skills (and a potential merchant/patrol fleet) hostage, a half-sunk cargo ship with lots of salvageable munitions in it, its prior passengers being a bunch of unloved Cuban troops shipwrecked here and wanting desperately to get the hell home, lots of young nearly-trained doctors, a possible "in" with two of MilGov's big hitters, scads of retired-but-still-deadly US Rangers/SF ex-troopers (can you say "local commando cadre'-training", boys and girls?), a fully-functional super-frigate run by a skilled and capable crew with an elite skipper, a local mamaloi/organic chemist whose knowledge of the local flora and fauna can have interesting side-effects on unwary enemies....so much to play with, so many opportunities!
All the players have to do is figure out how to make the most of what they have on hand. Did I mention the APC...?
Old 08-24-2018, 12:22 PM

Default Bite the Big Apple

"Armies of the Night", a mystery wrapped around a puzzle, tied up with several enigmas.
The hours I have spent brainstorming this adventure are racked up in the hundreds if not thousands. How do the survivors manage? How do they make up for a lack of topsoil when the land is covered with concrete or macadam? How does one efficiently harvest the upper floors of high-rise buildings? What things were unknown even to the scenario-writers that might have had an impact--Civil Defense caches in the Brooklyn Bridge supports, the NSA (CIA?) headquarters office hidden in plain sight in a downtown Manhattan skyscraper--the best ways of using the big power players' traits against them or against each other, who to back to the US gov't (either one) as the "true king" of NYC. Plus a few other sideshows and special projects to give players or their allies a better chance against the predatory groups, large and small, that threaten their everyday survival.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallShadow View Post
"Gateway to the Caribbean" is a trove of adventure seeds and paths to success in the Post-Whoops world, if one uses the little clues and opportunities provided. Well-equipped, poorly-trained opponents holding local shipbuilders with vital skills (and a potential merchant/patrol fleet) hostage, a half-sunk cargo ship with lots of salvageable munitions in it, its prior passengers being a bunch of unloved Cuban troops shipwrecked here and wanting desperately to get the hell home, lots of young nearly-trained doctors, a possible "in" with two of MilGov's big hitters, scads of retired-but-still-deadly US Rangers/SF ex-troopers (can you say "local commando cadre'-training", boys and girls?), a fully-functional super-frigate run by a skilled and capable crew with an elite skipper, a local mamaloi/organic chemist whose knowledge of the local flora and fauna can have interesting side-effects on unwary enemies....so much to play with, so many opportunities!
All the players have to do is figure out how to make the most of what they have on hand. Did I mention the APC...?
Oh you mean the one that just needs a battery and a 50 cal and she is ready to rock? Not a bad little find
Old 08-24-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Oh you mean the one that just needs a battery and a 50 cal and she is ready to rock? Not a bad little find
Luckily all the RPG's went down with the ship....
Old 08-24-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Doesn't even need that. ANY sort of weapon (even a rifle) does the job, and they can be jump started - been there, done that, pain in the arse.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 08-26-2018, 10:11 AM

My modern "Merc" campaign set in Africa has been quite successful. Admittedly, that's because it's not really a Twilight2000 campaign and I can introduce modern headlines that my players KNOW are real. YOU COULDN'T MAKE UP some of the things happening in The Congo, Kenya, Uganda, Zimbabwe, and South Africa today.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
My modern "Merc" campaign set in Africa has been quite successful. Admittedly, that's because it's not really a Twilight2000 campaign and I can introduce modern headlines that my players KNOW are real. YOU COULDN'T MAKE UP some of the things happening in The Congo, Kenya, Uganda, Zimbabwe, and South Africa today.
I played in an online game set in Congo/Zaire that centred around a PBY5A Catalina flying boat. Awesome fun
Old 08-26-2018, 12:38 PM

My guys are constantly being shuffled between the UN and the African Union Command. They are often used as "pawns" in the ongoing political "tug of war" between these "would-be saviors" of Africa.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
My guys are constantly being shuffled between the UN and the African Union Command. They are often used as "pawns" in the ongoing political "tug of war" between these "would-be saviors" of Africa.
Where in Africa does it take place?
Old 08-27-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Would you focus on the USS Constitution as well or focus mostly on the players as pretty independent.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield View Post
Would you focus on the USS Constitution as well or focus mostly on the players as pretty independent.
The Constitution would be there as a goad or an occasional resource or supply point or Deus ex machina, but not on the PC's schedule--they wouldn't have it handy to wield as their personal battleship, but if things got tight, they might be seen sailing over the horizon or calling the group for a social visit, just in time.... I see the ship as the provider for occasional adventure seeds, or trading potential. ("You found how many of these? We can sell every one for a major profit over on Barbados. Can you go back and find more?")
The real drama(s) are with the folks on the ground and their potential to uplift or destroy the islands' precarious hold on existence. And making friends and enemies in higher circles; both of which may come back to revisit the PCs at some unexpected point in their adventures.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
The Constitution would be there as a goad or an occasional resource or supply point or Deus ex machina, but not on the PC's schedule--they wouldn't have it handy to wield as their personal battleship, but if things got tight, they might be seen sailing over the horizon or calling the group for a social visit, just in time.... I see the ship as the provider for occasional adventure seeds, or trading potential. ("You found how many of these? We can sell every one for a major profit over on Barbados. Can you go back and find more?")
The real drama(s) are with the folks on the ground and their potential to uplift or destroy the islands' precarious hold on existence. And making friends and enemies in higher circles; both of which may come back to revisit the PCs at some unexpected point in their adventures.
That makes sense. Obviously since Christiansen is the captain, and even a player character of similar rank would not be able to just order her around, it would be possible support subject to DM desires or to party persuasion.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield View Post
Where in Africa does it take place?
They initially started north of the Kenyan town of El Mak fighting Somali fighters aligned with Al Shabaab ("the young ones"). They were acting as PMCs for a private UN-sponsored company providing medical and humanitarian services in the region. This often put them at odds with the UN (who viewed them as mercenaries to be constantly watched) and the Kenyan Military Commander (also the African Union Official in the area) who viewed the UN mission as an "infringement" on his authority.

Then (after winning the hearts of the local Kenyan military) they took a job training African Union troops in the Lake Albert region of Uganda (supported by a US energy company that formerly mined the DRC region West of the lake). Here they confronted a small group of Boko Haram ("western influence is sinful") operating out of Democratic Republic of The Congo (which has a 10% Muslim population under constant attack by Christians), AND militant Christian groups from the very same country. They aided in the defense of several small villages South of Arva Uganda North of Lake Albert from Christian militias moving from both the DRC and travelling North from Rwanda.

Their latest mission was a hostage extraction from Rwanda back to Uganda (the village of Kabale). This was a Lloyds of London supported action to recover World Health Organization volunteers who were captured during an attack on a refugee camp in Rwanda.

Now they are taking a security job in Niger protecting UN assets against Boko Haram operating there.