RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2019, 02:41 AM
Registered Registrant

Given certain conditions it's also possible that the government might raise Home Guard type units, give them the bare minimum training needed and issue them with the older military gear (with preference being given to recruiting people with firearms, security, etc. etc. skills.)
So in the Brisbane Black Widow scenario, she wouldn't have to be an Army Reservist, she could be a Home Guard member. I'm thinking that for the Home Guard scenario, the Reservist units are committed to patrolling rural areas looking for Indonesian infiltrators while the Home Guard provide security for important locations in the towns and cities.
Old 12-26-2019, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I'm thinking that for the Home Guard scenario, the Reservist units are committed to patrolling rural areas looking for Indonesian infiltrators while the Home Guard provide security for important locations in the towns and cities.
Historically that's what the Militia were tasked with during both world wars. As you know, the Militia's official name was the Citizens Military Force (CMF), and renamed in 1980 to become the Australia Army Reserve (ARes). It's these "home guard" duties I'm assigning the 3rd Division to. IRL 3 DIV was disbanded completely in 1991 after decades of being pared back to barely the shadow of a skeleton.
Realistically, there's too many legislative changes required to allow for a separate home guard organisation, especially when simply re-raising 3rd Division and a bunch of old Battalions will do the job.

Interesting note - at Federation (1901) there were something like 100 battalions authorised throughout the country, which at the time had a population of approximately 3.7 million. Most units of course barely managed a few dozen members. In 1996 with a population 6 times as high (slightly over 18 million) we had around 25 battalions (+/- a few partial units), and had trouble keeping just the half dozen or so Regular Army units at close to full strength.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-22-2020, 09:24 PM

I'd like to hear some opinions on what the Philippines, Singapore, and other neighbours of Indonesia would do in reaction to their invasion of PNG?
Would they care? Would they have their own problems to deal with? Would they take a side and send troops and/or supplies?
Also, and rather importantly, why would they act/not act in that way?
No right or wrong answers, just looking for ideas.

Mors ante pudorem
Old 01-22-2020, 10:59 PM
Registered Registrant

Considering the claims in the past that Indonesia wanted to grab great chunks of territory from those nations as part of the "Greater Indonesian Empire", my first reaction is that they would probably politically condemn Indonesian attacks on PNG.
Whether they would have the resources or the political desire to assist PNG resist the Indonesian invasion is another matter entirely - I'd have to read the books again to see what level of activity they were at regards the T2k situation before I was confident in saying whether or not they had the resources and/or desire to assist PNG.

Given that in the early to mid 1960s, Indonesia had tried to invade Malaya and North Borneo to oppose the union of those two protectorates (along with Sarawak) into the new nation of Malaysia, there's plenty of bad blood between Indonesia and her near neighbours (and in any of the T2k timelines it's still within living memory of senior military & governmental personnel).
But this is where the old ties between British Commonwealth nations, former SEATO nations and the ANZUS nations would likely come into play perhaps?

If the T2k wider conflict was not happening, I could very well see those countries opposing Indonesia with political, financial, trade and even military action. With the T2k war happening... again, I'd have to read up on whatever history is listed for those nations before I could really form any opinion on what they would be capable of doing and more importantly, whether it would be worth them taking those particular actions.
Having said that I can well imagine Singapore and Malaysia being particularly antsy about Indonesian actions in PNG because for them, it's literally "You're next".
Another factor would be Brunei, they supply a lot of oil and natural gas, it would surely be a tempting addition for Indonesia (but even if it's not, that fear would probably still exist). They have the wealth to finance support for PNG but I can't say whether they would do it unless they felt that Indonesia's invasion of PNG was part of a larger action to expand Indonesian control over the region.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:19 AM
A bad tomato

The Philippines could get involved. Depending on how aggressive things could be. They still have technically a claim over the Sabah-region in northern Borneo, currently held by Malaysia. Also claimed by Indonesia.

But I think that the Philippines might send token aid to Australia, due to their historic alliances via the USA.

Depending on situation, they could march into Sabah, especially if Malaysia collapses either due to internal stress or Indonesian activities.
Old 03-20-2020, 08:02 PM

The front page from one of the three newspapers here in Tasmania yesterday.
Very Twilight:2000 and almost exactly what I've envisaged would happen in T2K.
Attachment 4300

Mors ante pudorem

Last edited by Legbreaker; 04-29-2021 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:20 PM
Registered Registrant

Hey Leg, seems like real-life is writing the lead-in for you!