RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Random Links Thread?

Raellus 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM I've noticed that a lot of new threads are being started for the posting of single, random, humorous, slightly or very OT links. Oftentimes, there aren't more than one or two replies to these Random, OT thread starters.

This is pushing other, longer, more OT threads containing TOEs, ORBATs, rules, gear, and game-world discussions off of the board where they can be difficult, if not impossible, to find. (At least, I have trouble finding them...)

May I suggest that someone start a random links thread where all random, humourous, slighly OT and very OT links are posted? This will create a single clearinghouse for said links and assure that more OT threads are not bumped off the boards.

I know this is a bit hypocritical of me since this post probably bumped a good one, but I'm trying to think long term here.

Hopefully, the ends justifies the means. What do you all think?

Any nominations to start/maintain the Random Links thread?

kato13 06-28-2008, 05:29 PM This seems like a reasonable idea.

This forum does not have nesting of messages within a thread. This means that a single thread with lots of replies will not overload the database like you see in other forums.

Also the fact that unread messages are flagged means you won t miss new links.

IMO there are no negatives to the idea.

TiggerCCW UK 06-28-2008, 05:54 PM Sounds good to me.

Targan 06-28-2008, 06:04 PM Good thinking Raellus, its a win-win situation.

thefusilier 06-28-2008, 11:22 PM Agree fully.

simonmark6 06-29-2008, 04:11 AM I concurr with the motion.

pmulcahy 06-29-2008, 11:20 AM It's a great idea! But, considering the strange random thoughts and sightings some of us have (such as my noticing file footage that has a US Marine using an SA-80) and other OT stuff, perhaps the thread should be a general "Random Stuff" thread?

kato13 06-29-2008, 04:31 PM perhaps the thread should be a general "Random Stuff" thread?

I think it really depends on how many replies are expected.

As I said earlier, this forum does not handle "nesting". This is a good thing for database integrity, but is a bad thing when you have multiple concurrent discussions within the same thread.

Other than pushing threads down the front page, I do not think that new threads are necessarily a bad thing as overall message count would probably be more crucial when determining when if purge is necessary. To be honest I think purges happen accidentally as the drive space requirements even for a semi popular forum like this one are pretty small.

Overall I like the original idea as it keeps more on topic threads on the front page.