RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-12-2012, 08:04 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Default The Town of Juhlinowice

Taking off on the idea posted in the Fanzine thread, I found an ideal town that if we want to run with the idea we can do up ...

I choose the town of Laslin, Poland because of its small size and its location on the route characters might take from Warsaw heading either north to Gdansk or west as part of the Going Home module. It is located next to a lake with one bridge crossing that lake and lots of wooded lands.

Last edited by Cdnwolf; 09-13-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Banned

In the T2000 world that is pretty close to where the US units were that got cut off after the last offensive. Is this a 2013 scenario or 2000?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 PM
The end is nigh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
In the T2000 world that is pretty close to where the US units were that got cut off after the last offensive. Is this a 2013 scenario or 2000?
TWL 2000 and its a generic place that the characters may try for..
Old 09-13-2012, 12:31 AM

Nice place!

What about a more polish-ending name, taking Juhlin as a root?
  • Juhlinów
  • Juhlinowo
  • Juhlinowice
  • Juhlinowiczki
  • Juhlinowe
  • Juhlinowa
  • Juhlinowskie
  • Juhlinowiec
  • Juhlinowiany
  • Juhlinowizna
  • Juhlinowszczyzna
  • Juhlinowska Wola
  • Juhlinowska Kolonia
  • Juhlinówek
  • Juhlinówka
  • Juhlinowa Góra

It will not be a credible Polish village if we were able to spell it without problems.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Registered Kraut

Okay, this is not a poll, BUT if it was, my choice for best suited name would be:

Juhlinowice

Second choice:

Juhlinowszczyzna (As in: "That little spot on the map with a real unspeakable name."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
It will not be a credible Polish village if we were able to spell it without problems.
You're so right here, Marc

"IT'S A FREAKIN GAME, PEOPLE!"; Weswood, 5-12-2012
Old 09-13-2012, 04:10 AM

So, now we have the nice little town of Juhlinowice. What is the status?

Based on location, I would say bombed within an inch of its' life. 50-100 people living in whatever rubble they can form into a coherent structure to keep them out of the rain.

Farming community, some subsistance farming still occuring. Mostly human powered plows. MAYBE a couple of horses to plow community field. Some chickens, a couple of pigs would not be an unusual addition.

One iron worker is not out of the question.

VERY small (5-20) semi organized ORMO type self defense. A couple of shotguns, a hunting rifle or two, bows and arrows, etc.

Government, such as it is, would be a council of elders. The council would try to insure that everyone got a fair share of the crops.

Trade would be VERY sporadic. IF there is any surplus food in the community, it could be traded for ammo, medicine, etc.

I am sure you will flesh these ideas out. Just something off of the top of my head this morning to greet our band of survivors from 5th ID.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Juhlinowice

Done lol.

Cottage industry, because of the water it has a working mill that grinds wheat which I am working on fleshing out. Bakery attached... smaller water wheel to generate some electricity....

Two miles out of town a small coal mine that is worked by robotniks that sell coal to town in exchange of workers. (Free City of Krakow style)
Old 09-13-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnwolf View Post
Juhlinowice

Done lol.

Cottage industry, because of the water it has a working mill that grinds wheat which I am working on fleshing out. Bakery attached... smaller water wheel to generate some electricity....

Two miles out of town a small coal mine that is worked by robotniks that sell coal to town in exchange of workers. (Free City of Krakow style)
If we go with this level of trade, then the town has not been damaged to the extent I postulated. Also, food production is higher than I imagined.

Still, well within the realm of reason.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 09-13-2012, 06:30 AM

Personally, I think you'd be better going with something larger, say between five to ten thousand inhabitants. That way if others want to add different things on they have more options to work with. I'd also suggest keeping the location generic so it can be used by anyone running a campaign in southern Poland (or elsewhere).
Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Sorry I think I should have stated that the town is generic... I just chose that town because from the air it looked like a great layout. The real population of the town is about 4000 people and I picked the location because it was somewhere IMO I thought a group might run across it when using the Heading Home module after leaving Warsaw. Feel free to locate it anywhere you want in your campaign... We are mainly looking for contributions to the inhabitants and buildings inside the town.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
Personally, I think you'd be better going with something larger, say between five to ten thousand inhabitants. That way if others want to add different things on they have more options to work with. I'd also suggest keeping the location generic so it can be used by anyone running a campaign in southern Poland (or elsewhere).
I agree with you Rainbow Six. This is why this is a generic town with a generic location. You can make it ANYTHING you want.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 09-13-2012, 07:01 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo80 View Post
So, now we have the nice little town of Juhlinowice. What is the status?

Based on location, I would say bombed within an inch of its' life. 50-100 people living in whatever rubble they can form into a coherent structure to keep them out of the rain.

Farming community, some subsistance farming still occuring. Mostly human powered plows. MAYBE a couple of horses to plow community field. Some chickens, a couple of pigs would not be an unusual addition.

One iron worker is not out of the question.

VERY small (5-20) semi organized ORMO type self defense. A couple of shotguns, a hunting rifle or two, bows and arrows, etc.

Government, such as it is, would be a council of elders. The council would try to insure that everyone got a fair share of the crops.

Trade would be VERY sporadic. IF there is any surplus food in the community, it could be traded for ammo, medicine, etc.

I am sure you will flesh these ideas out. Just something off of the top of my head this morning to greet our band of survivors from 5th ID.

My $0.02

Mike
As this is a generic place.... I would have a population of around 1000, some cottage industries, mainly farming and trading with the bridge being a vital life line. Outside lands have a big marauder problem... date it about Sept 2000 after the final offensive fell apart.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:03 AM
The end is nigh!!!

SOOOOO what we are trying to do is get people to set up a business or a setting within the town and flesh out the details. Keep it fairly generic so that it can fit into anyone story.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnwolf View Post
Sorry I think I should have stated that the town is generic... I just chose that town because from the air it looked like a great layout. The real population of the town is about 4000 people and I picked the location because it was somewhere IMO I thought a group might run across it when using the Heading Home module after leaving Warsaw. Feel free to locate it anywhere you want in your campaign... We are mainly looking for contributions to the inhabitants and buildings inside the town.
OH, I just had an EVIL THOUGHT

Time: a week after the breakout

As your unit has entered the town, you stumble upon a dying soldier in a very DIFFERENT uniform. The soldier is clutching a HK submachine gun. There is one empty clip beside the soldier. As you look (another direction) you see 2-3 other dead people. NOT in uniform.

http://www.google.com/search?q=swiss...w=1024&bih=615

One of your team members is (or was) a practicing Roman Catholic.

He/she hears this soldier mumble something in LATIN!!

"The Holy One is buried there...." (he points that way) ...and dies.....

MWAA HAAA HAAA HAAA (And other evil sounds)

My $0.02

Mike

Last edited by mikeo80; 09-13-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: had to add descriptioin of dying soldier
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 AM
The end is nigh!!!

LOL love it
Old 09-13-2012, 09:34 AM

Well, an idea could be to take the “Poland population and farming model” which Atiff put at our disposal in this thread:

http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=2489&highlight=poland+population+ farming

(Thanks Attif, with some delay)

We can use the model to situate Juhlinowice in a real town with numbers we find suitable. Or use the town proposed by Cndwolf and look for their statistics in Atiff’s model.I like this second option. The geographical situation of the real Juhlinowice (Lasin) seems very appropriate to include it in a typical Twilight:2000 setup.

So, a possible option, trying to depart from a common point, is see the numbers for Lasin/Juhlinowice in Attif’s model and use our prolific imagination to give a suitable explanation for this numbers. Then, fill the city with whatever we like.

Accordingly to Atiff model, Lasin (belonging to Gmina Lasin municaplity), has been able to escape nearly untouched in the war, at least when talking about the number of inhabitants (row 421 of the excel spreadsheet). The numbers showed in the spreadsheet shows the total population of Gmina Lasin (and not Lasin alone) including all the disperse settlements belonging to the municipality. In Wiki, Lasin/ Juhlinowice has about 3270 inhabitants. Following the same ratio of the Gmina Lasin municipality for the town only, (0.88% of prewar population), Juhlinowice/Lasin will have about 2877 inhabitants.

It’s only a suggestion as a departure point. We can choose another one or try to follow this beginning, trying to give an explanation for the low ratio of losses, etc. Perhaps a relatively untouched village could be an interesting setup, with the population trying not to lose what they have been able to keep in the last past years.

Well, just a suggestion.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:43 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Thats the best thing about doing it this way... anyone can take what they want from the town to make their own.

Just a hint of my first business...
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
OH, I just had an EVIL THOUGHT

Time: a week after the breakout

As your unit has entered the town, you stumble upon a dying soldier in a very DIFFERENT uniform. The soldier is clutching a HK submachine gun. There is one empty clip beside the soldier. As you look (another direction) you see 2-3 other dead people. NOT in uniform.

http://www.google.com/search?q=swiss...w=1024&bih=615

One of your team members is (or was) a practicing Roman Catholic.

He/she hears this soldier mumble something in LATIN!!

"The Holy One is buried there...." (he points that way) ...and dies.....

MWAA HAAA HAAA HAAA (And other evil sounds)

My $0.02

Mike
Who would be sadistic enough to kill a circus clown.

Michael
Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lewis View Post
Who would be sadistic enough to kill a circus clown.

Michael
me.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
me.
And me.

My $0.02

Mike
Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM

You clownicidal maniacs!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM
The end is nigh!!!

Quit Clowning around... this was a serious topic
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Internet Intellectual

Name:  alien_kkfos.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  73.7 KB
Old 09-19-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmySGT. View Post
Oh how I wish there was a "Like" button for posts like that.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Hmmm.....

This looks like the current crop of politicians running for office here in the USA!!!

My $0.02

Mike
Old 09-19-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Hmmm.....

This looks like the current crop of politicians running for office here in the USA!!!

My $0.02

Mike
I can't remember where I read it, but someone said it's basically Mario running against Luigi. They're different colors, and neither one of them is ever going to rescue the princess.