Old 10-14-2008, 01:41 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain

http://my.mmoabc.com/article/knockou....html?login=no

check out the desert eagle
Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 AM

Default who says the french don't have style...

read nr 6

http://www.netscrap.com/netscrap_det...m?scrap_id=831
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 AM

Yeah That's a good one but it's an urban legend. Sob!

I like this one better but it's one of the oldest (from 1995) :

URBAN LEGEND! The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-SHIT."

Go and visit:
http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/
Old 10-14-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
Yeah That's a good one but it's an urban legend. Sob!

I like this one better but it's one of the oldest (from 1995) :

URBAN LEGEND! The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-SHIT."

Go and visit:
http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/
There was actually a 'debunk' of this that claimed to be the true story.
I forget exactly how it goes, but its something like this :

Kid's dad owns a scrapyard and gets all sorts of military junk from the nearby base. Occasionally they get an ammo tin with half a belt of ammo in it or things like that and call the Army to come and pick it up. One day the kid is sorting a fresh load of trash whilst dad is in town on business and he finds the aformentioned JATO bottles.
At this point Kid2 get involved, and think it would be really cool to mount one on a car and see what would happen.
The only car they have is this old 1959 Chevy Impala - the exact model year being significant because the bodystyles either side of that year model were different enough that the panels hadnt been salvaged, though the engine and running gear have. Then they get the bright idea of putting the bodyshell on top of an old mine cart and firing the rocket off along some abandoned rail tracks in the desert - this being Arizona and full of old mining railways etc.

Kids3&4 are drafted in to help as their dad has a souped up 4x4 pickup that the other kids suspect is used to run dope across the border from Mexico.

Anyway, time comes when the Impala body is mounted on the mine cart and standing on the tracks with the Jato ready to fire when it dawns on them that the car was facing towards the mine rather than out into the desert. As they'd fitted a rudimentary braking system to the car (dumping two huge railroad sleepers onto the rails between the axles) they decided just to roll the car to the far end of the tracks and fire it towards the mine, thinking it would stop in time.
It didnt. The car derails and smashes into the mine causing a minor collapse, leaving the tail half of the Chevy sticking out of a pile of rubble. The kids panic, jump in the pickup and hightail it out of the desert onto the nearby road. As they look back, the pickup's wheelspin has left what looks like a pair of skidmarks travelling off the road and towards the crash site.
So it looks almost as if the car had skidded off the road and into the side of the mountain
Old 10-14-2008, 10:18 AM

Nice to have the true and full story (or so I hope). Looks more reallistic. As a kid I could have done that too if I had found what was needed for it.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

http://www.snopes.com/autos/dream/jato.asp

Here is snopes take on the story.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:12 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

They tried it on myth busters.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 AM

Default discworld cake

any other terry pratchett readers here ?

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/
http://homepages.tesco.net/~janefisk.../discworld.htm

ooops forgot the links

Last edited by General Pain; 10-21-2008 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:18 AM

Default he he he

http://www.dysan.net/Weird/show.php?num=674
Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 AM

Real life event ... wish i could make it. Kind of a thread hijack but its funny (zombies are funny to some less informed people) so i put it in this funny thread.

http://www.myspace.com/adelaidezombiewalk

Last edited by kcdusk; 10-21-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:13 AM

Default priceless

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle5002721.ece