RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-26-2018, 01:41 PM

Default Caribbean Sea Region in the Year 2000

Hi there.

Has anyone tried to put together a list of units/militias/marauder/pirate groups operating in the Caribbean Sea region during the year 2000? I'm working on an idea for a new campaign setting drawing from the Gateway to the Spanish Main module and I'm wondering whether anyone has done some development work on this already that I can either use for inspiration or just use.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards,

Mahatatain.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:31 PM

Sounds like a great region for a new sourcebook....

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 12-29-2018, 10:03 AM

Thanks. There are a lot of countries in the region that were very unstable in the early 90's and I think that adding in the Twilight War, and working out the potential impact of that, can make it a very interesting campaign setting.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 AM

I ran a campaign there once. It was highly entertaining.

The premise was post return from Europe the PCs sound themselves working for the Dutch attempting to gain control of and return to limited production some oil resources in Venezuela. The dutch had few resources, but superior organization and some very old operational warships allowed Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao to be a regional island of stability.

Low density of nuclear blasts allowed the occasional electronics to operate, the PCs were floored when they were processed by a dutch immigration officer using a laptop computer. But the low level of government stability turned most areas into free for alls of subsistence farming and fishing with lots of roving pirates and raiders. Most sea travel had reverted to sail, but there were a lot of sailboats still about.

The brief regional situation as I remember it was:

Panama - Canal Zone nuked. General internal collapse.
Colombia - Limited functioning governance in Baranquilla and Cartagena, inland unknown.
Venezuela - Sporadic nuking of oil resources didn't create widespread devastation, but total central government collapse. Totally lawless, but a limited functioning regime centered on Maracaibo.
Trinidad and Tobago - Mostly collapsed.
Barbados - Relatively high functioning island of stability.
Martinique and Guadeloupe - Under French control and fairly stable. Not a big focus for the current French regime, but as France is the highest functioning government in the world, things are relatively well off.
Rest of Windward Isles - Lawless, insular, mostly subsistence fishing, farming, and raiding.
Puerto Rico - Small US military presence holding out in the ancient fort in San Juan and some local surrounding areas. Most of the island is lawless.
Haiti and the Dominican Republic - Total collapse.
Cuba - Pretty by the book. Relatively stable, but insular and husbanding resources for internal rebuilding. Some competition for local oil resources, but punching below its weight.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:34 PM

Thanks for the info Slappy - very useful indeed.

I'm thinking of making some countries a little more organised than this and have actual military operations related to the Twilight War ongoing in the area and not just an anti pirate/marauder focus. I'm still researching each of the countries though and trying to decide how I want them to decline as part of the Twilight War.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Maybe a border war, involving land, air, and naval elements, between Columbia and Venezuela?

How about a Spetznaz team detonating a nuclear demolition charge aboard a neutral-flagged merchantman transiting one of the major locks on the Panama Canal? It's got more flare than the standard- and slightly boring- ICBM or SLBM strike.

Although it's arguably right outside the Caribbean region, IIRC, there's a French rocket-launching facility in French Guyana. There's an adventure there, somewhere.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048

Last edited by Raellus; 01-01-2019 at 07:06 PM.