RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2011, 05:07 AM

Default T2K quotes

Inspired by James' excellent series of posts I think it would eb fun if we put quotes, either from our own characters in T2k games or just in general from the twiligght war. Who knows, they may even appear in people's work here?

"Do you know the best feature of the chally tank? It's not the gun, the sights or the fancy armour. I'll tell you mate, the best feature was the bivvie, a little unit in the back of the turret for boiling water. Most of our armoured vehicles had summat similar, even the old saladins. The smart crews loaded up as much water as could be carried.

There was this one scrap we got into during operation Advent Crown, we where engaged by polish arty outside some town with too many z's in it to pronounce and the buggers thought it'd be fun to drop chemical rounds. Well a chally is built for NBC so we sealed up and got orders to sit tight, two days we where stuck in that bloody tank, two days! Thanks to that bivvie we could have hot food and even shave! Shaving in a tank, well mate that's an art form i can tell you."

Sergeant Charles Blake, Queen's Dragoon Guards (first published in "Rats at war").
Old 07-11-2011, 05:24 AM

GM: "Does anyone speak Polish?"
Character, armed with an AK: "Yeah, I do...."
"bangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbangbang"

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 AM
GM for hire

From my game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swen
Although the Soviet forces (124th MRD) that had attacked them at Zdunska Wola may have continued to drive westward, chances were that their small group would be able to stop the large enemy army well before they became a serious threat and alter their path to suit.
I think he meant "spot" but with PCs you can never be sure
Old 07-11-2011, 02:16 PM
The Stat Guy

"Nits turn into lice!" (Said when the players were worried about the casualties among the civilians associated with the bad guys; he had no problem with it.)

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 07-11-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95th Rifleman View Post
Inspired by James' excellent series of posts I think it would eb fun if we put quotes, either from our own characters in T2k games or just in general from the twiligght war. Who knows, they may even appear in people's work here?

"Do you know the best feature of the chally tank? It's not the gun, the sights or the fancy armour. I'll tell you mate, the best feature was the bivvie, a little unit in the back of the turret for boiling water. Most of our armoured vehicles had summat similar, even the old saladins. The smart crews loaded up as much water as could be carried.

There was this one scrap we got into during operation Advent Crown, we where engaged by polish arty outside some town with too many z's in it to pronounce and the buggers thought it'd be fun to drop chemical rounds. Well a chally is built for NBC so we sealed up and got orders to sit tight, two days we where stuck in that bloody tank, two days! Thanks to that bivvie we could have hot food and even shave! Shaving in a tank, well mate that's an art form i can tell you."

Sergeant Charles Blake, Queen's Dragoon Guards (first published in "Rats at war").
I actually feel honoured and want to say thanks for all the kind comments.

I'm going to nick that one if you don't mind for the revised UK Sourcebook I'm working on. In Iraq vehicles were listed as VOR (vehicle off road) if a BV went down as they were so essential. I remember a US general remarking the BV was the best feature on a Challenger. I know the first thing we pack for exercises is a burco. For those interested all British AFVs have a BV but only the Fox has a CD player!

A few quotes I've not used yet (regard as a preview):

"These new recruits we got were really poor, most just knew a few words of Russian and as for their skills, well they could only see cover if it was 10 cm tall. Us old men (we must have had 6 months on them) needed to use all our skills to keep some of those boys alive until their second battle." Private Maxim Denavich - inspired by a line in All Quiet on the Western Front

"I know that in order to beat the enemy we need to do some dirty tricks. What keeps me awake at night though is the thought 'what happens if I wake up tomorrow and realise I am worse than he is?'" Lt Harry Lambert 21 SAS (Artists Rifles)

"I've seen too many atrocities in this war, 5% of soldiers are like saints, 5% are just evil and the remaining 90% just go along with them."

"Even when we get back, do you think the war will ever end for us after what we have seen and done? I know that more soldiers committed suicide after the Falklands than died there, I hate to think how many people PTSD will kill after all this..."

"I got asked why I used a .45, I told them because Colt don't make a .46 yet."

"I remember Albert Einstein was asked what weapons he thought World War Three with. He replied he didn't know but World War Four would be fought with clubs and spears."
Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 PM

"What do they mean when they say Danger Close?"

"Relax! The maximum effective range of an AK74 is 300 meters, we are at least 400......"

"Of course we can fire a RPG16 inside of a room!"

"I know its dark, but I can read Russian! It says 'This Side Towards Enemy'!"

"Light the Molotov! Don't worry, they can't see the flame at night!"
Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Default quote from game

Said by the PC "Ironman" -in enemy uniform upon crossing a bridge held by an enemy squad:

"Now look here ! I am from the HQ! And I tell you :We cant run this here war if everyone just shoots at eachother ALL the time!!"
Old 07-14-2011, 06:48 AM

"please do not shoot at the thermo nuclear device"
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 AM

Absolutely wonderful line from a novel about the 1812 Retreat from Moscow mixed with vampires (Twelve).

"The west never realises just how much east there is..."
Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 PM
Not a Noob, not a noob!

In the middle of this escape from the Black Baron's men, the PC's seize a tank and pile in. Leonid (Heavy Weapons skill 1) ended up in the gunner's seat.

PC: "Leo, you know how to use that thing?"

Leo: "Da! Shoot like pro!"

It became on the the tag lines in that game.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Sabre Ready!

Send a message via AIM to Panther Al

My character after having survived almost all the way through a firefight that just snowballed into WW4 before finally catching one in the last exchange:

"Getting shot at is fine: its when they stop missing that it starts to suck..."

Proud fan(atic) of the CV90 Series.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
This made me think of something Stewie Griffin said in an episode of Family Guy:
"A bullet sounds the same in every language, Bitch!"

Major General John Sedgwick, Union Army (1813 - 1864)
Old 07-17-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
In the middle of this escape from the Black Baron's men, the PC's seize a tank and pile in. Leonid (Heavy Weapons skill 1) ended up in the gunner's seat.

PC: "Leo, you know how to use that thing?"

Leo: "Da! Shoot like pro!"

It became on the the tag lines in that game.
Worryingly that sounds like a Ukranian friend of mine IRL who's standard line is

"we do that better in the Ukraine."
Old 07-20-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I just say: the RT is not to be used for idle Polish chit-chat!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:02 AM

Default RAF Quote

Pinned up on 617 Squadron's noticeboard December 1998:

"Dear Prime Minister or Santa,

please can you send us another Tornado, the one we have is a bit shot up and past the best before date."
Old 12-26-2011, 06:43 PM
The Stat Guy

"I'm tired...I'm just really tired..."

--Unknown survivor of the US 5th ID's last campaign

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 12-26-2011, 07:14 PM

Not to toot my own horn but there's this thread: http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=2982

from a while back - more grist for the idea mill.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:30 AM

A few I originally planned to use in my alternative work on the UK. The first two in particular were written in such a way that they could be used for PC's as the introduction to a scenario.

“We were about ten miles from Nottingham – or at least what’s left of Nottingham – when we ran into them. There must have been about fifteen of them, all wearing Army uniform and carrying guns. Well we thought we were safe. You would, wouldn’t you, if you saw soldiers, British soldiers. How were we to know that they were bandits? They stole everything that we had, our water, food...we didn’t have much, but they took it all, even our wedding rings. Then they took some of the women – one man tried to stop them and they just shot him in the guts, left him at the side of the road, to die. Then...then they.... they took my wife...took her away with them....they were laughing...please, will you help me find her?” - Unidentified refugee recounting an encounter with the Marauder group known as Bad Company to a mamber of the Leicester Defence Force

“The guy in charge in Leicester is hiring mercenaries to fight Bloody Mary. No way would I take her on – she’s a fucking psycho bitch. Her troops went through a village near here a couple of weeks ago. The word is some of the villagers tried to fight her so she butchered them. They didn’t die quick either – I heard that she castrated the guy in charge and then made him eat his....you know....” - Unknown Independent Trader in the vicinity of Leicester

“The geezer* that’s in charge in Colchester is a nutter. You know the one I mean, he never goes anywhere without those bloody pit bull terriers. I heard that some bloke pissed him off – touched up one of his birds*, something like that, I dunno...anyway, whatever it was, turns out the guy got locked in the back of a van with those dogs and they ripped his throat out. No shit man!” - Rumour heard in the Free City of Milton Keynes

“Me and my mates are headed to Cornwall. They say some Army bloke has taken charge there and he’s looking for men to join his Army. He’s offering food, a place to sleep, and plenty of women.” - Unidentified individual overheard talking to a local in a bar in Stroud, Gloucestershire

(* For those not familiar with British slang, a geezer is a term for a man and a bird is a term for a woman).

Last edited by Rainbow Six; 12-27-2011 at 06:35 AM.