RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 AM

Default Combat Rules

I thought that I would start a thread discussing various issues or themes in the rules section . (If we dont have one already).To discuss things not covered in the rules or part of the rules that need discussion .

I want to start with a question :

has anyone used rules for backblast from RPGs in their game ?

What would be the DAMAGE STATS ( C:2 B:0 maybe ?)
Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I have used this very thing several times. Since I have had characters do the following:

Fire a ARMBURST from within a room, and it fried the two other PCs and the firing PC didn't understand why he ended up suffering damage to a lesser degree.

A PC firing from inside a covered fighting position. He could of at least let the guy in his hole know. He didn't the bugger. So they all suffered less severe injuries.

Firing from inside the cabin of a wooden boat. Blew out the windows and left him smoldering and deaf, dazed and confused.

From inside a vehicle. Okay the vehicle had been hit multipe times and was on fire. And the other 2 PCs were gravely wounded, so this is the most understandable as they had little to loose. He did take out the BMP and only caused slightly more damage to himself and the other PCs.

What I do is have them loose initiative determined by the weapon fired and how confined the location. Firing from foxhole with overhead cover will blind you surely and make you deaf for a bit and scortch you depending on the sides so it will be minor other than letting everyone know you are there! Whereas firing from inside a closed concrete bunker with just 1 firing slit, your world will be rocked and the gase and flame have no where to go.

So, the PCs will loose their initiative as a result of the light and sound overload, much like a flashbang, suffering some concussion damage as well.

If they are in an enclosed room or inside a vehicle then they will suffer some burn damage too, this will all be relative to their position to the rear of the rocket, since most rocket backblasts are cone shaped, as for the actual damage, it all depends on the weapon and the confined space, but anywhere from mild burn to being hit with a HAFLA
Old 02-25-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester
Fire a ARMBURST from within a room, and it fried the two other PCs and the firing PC didn't understand why he ended up suffering damage to a lesser degree.
I wouldn't understand either, as it's one of the few recoilless weapons that can be (relatively) safely fired from an enclosed space, ejecting plastic flakes.

Unless all the descriptions I've read are wrong.

http://copeab.tripod.com
Old 02-25-2009, 12:45 PM

Default Armbrust

Maybe the armbrust isnt the perfect example -maybe it isnt but that belongs in a technical thread.Say the backblast of an armbrust gives concussion damage -what stats ???
What about the rpg 7 ?

the 84 mm carl gustav recoilles cannon that I have fired many times sure warrant C:2 B:0 imho.

what of the m72 -shot ot too.Wouldnt want my arm in front of the bacblast-stats on that ?

I am most interested in ANYONE using this -and the flashbang effect I hadnt thought of ! Good one.Keep it coming -I guess my always well armed players should be disturbed by the question.or warned maybe.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters
the 84 mm carl gustav recoilles cannon that I have fired many times sure warrant C:2 B:0 imho.

what of the m72 -shot ot too.Wouldnt want my arm in front of the bacblast-stats on that ?
I can't remember the back blast danger ara on either of these two weapons off the top of my head, but...

From firing the "84" on the range, it was noted the corregations in the sand quite some distance away were changing from the noise alone!. This weapon is also absolutely spectacular when fired at night. The ball of flame issuing from the rear, especially when firing ILLUM rounds almost vertically is something to be seen - bit on the hot side around the legs too....

While at Canungra (one of Australia's two jungle warfare training facilities - the other being Tully and devoted to section (squad) skills), we were taught that the M72 in close terrain was next to useless due to insufficent range to arm the projectile. We were advised that turning it around and using the backblast could be quite effective up to a couple of dozen metres. Note this advice comes from combat veterans most who served in Vietnam and a few from as far back as Korea. The staff are amongst the toughest men I know, and would probably put most SF soliders to shame! (One officer was still going with three broken ribs and doing better than 90% of us fit and healthy types.)
Old 02-25-2009, 05:54 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I got scortched once when selected to fire a LAW rocket, needless to say my trouser leg was chared after the firing. And the section leader of the 51s a freind of mine made note of that.

As for the armburst.

Yes it sends chips out the back that all cool and well, but it doesn't change physics. A round is launched downrange via combustion of some form of rocket right? Where does the heat, gas and flash and fire go in an enclosed space? I have never fired one, never seen one fire, but I do not buy the idea that plastic chips can eliminate all of that, reduce I can beleive but eliminate no. I mean burning gas is burning gas righ?

I have heard that many of the earlier men who used rockets would have to hold their breath because of the fumes from the propellant.

My senior DI a Gunny used to man one of those multi barreled recoiless rocket launchers and I have known a few old timerss who used them too. They said it was like sitting in the middle of an explosion when they would fire their weapon. So, that is something to also consider how much pause does a gunner have to take because the gases disapate and his eyes can focus and his hearing return and he can breathe again?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab
it's one of the few recoilless weapons that can be (relatively) safely fired from an enclosed space, ejecting plastic flakes.
On a similar note in the early '90s the IRA developed the PRIG (Projectile Recoiless Improvised Grenade) for use here in NI. It was essentially an improvised RPG that they used with reasonable success against the armoured land rovers that the RUC used here. They managed to largely eliminate the backblast by using a packet of digestive biscuits in a similar fashion to the counter shot flakes that the Armbrust uses. The main problem with the weapon was accuracy. Sadly on too many occasions they got lucky with them - a school friend of mine who had joined the police here lost an arm and an eye to a PRIG attack.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:43 PM

Hey all, new to the forum and new to the game. I have the V1 rules and I'm confused and would like some help, figured it'd be better to ask here than start a whole new thread.

I've taken to the rules pretty well, but one aspect of the game is having trouble sticking. Rockets vs Armored vehicles.

I really cannot grasp how it works, if someone could post an example of an RPG hitting the side of a vehicle, it would help me understand this one last bit so I can finally get a game organized.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-03-2013, 05:41 PM

Hi Rabar, and welcome to the forum. There are 3 different editions of Twilight: 2000 and then there's Twilight 2013. Please specify which edition of the rules you're using.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Hi Rabar, and welcome to the forum. There are 3 different editions of Twilight: 2000 and then there's Twilight 2013. Please specify which edition of the rules you're using.
Sorry, when I said V1 I mean to say first edition of Twilight 2000.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 PM

Whoops, my bad! I missed the V1 part of your post

Tags
rules