RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum

Old 03-06-2019, 08:01 AM

Default Proposal: Engineering Teams

In my own little project world, I've always listed Engineering Teams as part of support structure. I've gone as far as to state that there are smaller teams that would support states/combined groups and a larger teams that operate at the regional level. Beyond that point, there was never a need (or a real desire) to design such a team, mostly due to my local players being more interested in Recon, or MARS Teams.

Enter Eddie...a new player who is a former Army combat engineer, with a treasure trove of manuals!!

Here is a proposal for a Project Engineer Team:

Command Element
9 personnel
HMMWV
(2) 5-ton trucks w/Pneumatic Tool & Compressor Outfit trailers
(2) 2.5-ton trucks w/Shop Equipment, Woodworking trailers
(2) 2.5-ton trucks w/Tool Outfit, Pioneer Portable Electric Tool trailers

Embankment Section
4 personnel
5-ton truck w/floodlights trailer
Crane Truck (20-ton capacity)
Scoop Loader

Grading & Compacting Section
5 personnel
2.5-ton truck w/floodlights trailer
Tractor Truck, w/trailer hauling a Road Grader and a 6,000gal. water tank
Tractor Truck w/trailer hauling a Vibratory Roller and a High Speed
Compactor

Excavation Section
6 personnel
2.5-ton truck,
(5) Tractor Trucks w/semi-trailers, hauling
(2) Wheeled Tractor w/Backhoe and Loader, (2) Full Tractors
w/Bulldozer, Scarif and Winch, (2) Full Tractors w/Bulldozer, Scarif and
Ripper

(3) Construction Sections, each with
8 personnel
(6)5-ton Dump Trucks, each with (6) Carpenter’s Tool Kits, (6)Mason &
Concrete Finisher Tool Kits, (6) Electricians Tool Kits and (6) Pipefitters
Tool Kits

This is a 44-person team with over 37 vehicles, most with trailers. But it would allow for limited road repair or construction as well as essential personnel to build/repair any buildings necessary.

Thoughts?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:25 AM

As a person with friends who were Seabees, I approve.

This is a significant number of vehicles. It is half the number Prime Base has for external use. This bolt hole must be quite large as well as the resupply caches. How large would this teams area of operation be?
Old 03-06-2019, 10:17 AM

I'm still going with a larger Engineering Team for the various regions, this new team I'm thinking as part of a combined group and responsible for engineering support for a radius of 200-300 miles.

The new campaign is set in western South Carolina/North Carolina so well-watered mountains and thick forests.

as far as the bolt hole/caches, the area has several old mines as well as rock quarries to chose from...United Consolidated in action!
Old 03-06-2019, 10:55 AM

This touches on some of things I’ve been working on for vehicle updates. This is geared more toward the maintenance side of engineering, but may be useful. So far, my mobile maintenance vehicles include the below based on the M1079 2.5-ton 4x4, paired with the M1082 trailer in various configurations. I can post some details on the truck/trailer if you like (they aren’t complete as I’m still trying to work out armor).

Mobile Maintenance
Seven (7) inter-connected maintenance systems distributed at multiple levels throughout the Project provide a holistic repair capability in all environments.

The systems include:
• Armament Repair Set
• Automotive Set
• Equipment Maintenance Set
• Foundry Set (M1082)
• Hydraulic Systems Set (M1082)
• Metal Working and Machining Shop Set
• Welding Set (M1082)

The Armament Repair Set is a M1079 housed system providing professional-grade tools to perform field level maintenance on a range of weaponry, from small arms to field artillery. The system includes a 10kW generator for shop power, as well as an assortment of tools and cabinet storage.

Automotive Set, housed on a M1079, provides a common tool set with the capability to perform field-level maintenance at all levels of materiel system repairs. The system contains an 10kW generator, Signal Entry Panel, and ergonomic storage of a complete tool load.

Equipment Maintenance Set is a M1079 housed system providing immediate field-level maintenance and repair to ground support and aviation equipment. The unit has industrial quality tools, light duty cutting and welding equipment, 10kW generator and an on-board compressor and power inverter.

The Foundry Set is mounted on an enclosed M1082 trailer and includes a 10kW generator, an Electric Arc Furnace (page 185 of TM 1-1 4e), Portable Forge (page 185 of TM 1-1 4e) and an assortment of hand tools. This is typically paired with the Metal Working and Machine Shop Set.

The Hydraulic Systems Set is a robust hydraulic repair system mounted on an M1082 trailer with a weather tight enclosure. It provides the capability to fabricate industry standard crimp-style hydraulic replacement hoses of all sizes, types, and end configurations. It also provides the ability to fabricate industry standard steel replacement hydraulic tubes used in brake lines and other high pressure applications and bends and flares these tubes as required to create a proper replacement item. Also includes an on-system diagnostic test meter that is used for troubleshooting hydraulic problems.

The Metal Working and Machining Shop Set (MWMSS) is a M1079 housed set that delivers state of the art machining capabilities using two module types, Type I and Type II. Type I contains a Computer Numeric Controlled (CNC) Lathe, Mill Drill, Multi-Process Welding (SMAW, GMAW. GTAW, pulse, flux core), Thermal Cutting equipment, Air-Arc Gouging, air compressor, Mobile Electric Power (MEP) generator for shop power, two (2) laptops with CAD/CAM software, and an assortment of hand/air tools. Type II augments Type I and contains a CNC Milling Machine, Plasma table, two (2) laptops with CAD/CAM software, and an assortment of hand/air tools.

The Welding Set is mounted on an enclosed M1082 trailer and provides a full spectrum of welding capabilities.

Last edited by Desert Mariner; 03-06-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 05:36 AM

I'm of two kinds as far as maintenance teams go; a mobile team is going to have to have access to either larger or more numerous caches, or they may have to go with a maintenance base (see Into the Fire scenario on the supplying website for such a base).

Of the two approaches, I favor the manned base for higher echelon repairs, either as a stand alone or as a annex to a supply base.

For a mobile team, I'm thinking they would be part of a Logistics & Support team of even part of a command team.

Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
Of the two approaches, I favor the manned base for higher echelon repairs, either as a stand alone or as a annex to a supply base.

For a mobile team, I'm thinking they would be part of a Logistics & Support team of even part of a command team.

Thoughts?
Totally agree for 3E; for 4th edition or if you use an expanded team breakdowns, I can see mobile maintenance assets attached to Civil Action, Agriculture, and/or (obviously) Engineering teams. They could also be organized as a specialty team (usually located at a fixed/regional base) as one of the examples of these teams is "...the engineering groups intended to help rebuild locks and clear wrecks along the Mississippi and Ohio rivers."