LAV-25 39 41.94%
Bison 1 1.08%
BTR series 3 3.23%
VAB 0 0%
OT-64/SKOT 0 0%
Other (Please specify in thread) 6 6.45%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2020, 10:02 PM

The IDF is at it again... Here's the new APC based on the Merkava tank chassis.

https://youtu.be/BfDPulPKY8Y
Old 08-29-2020, 12:44 AM
Sabre Ready!

Send a message via AIM to Panther Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaghauler View Post
The IDF is at it again... Here's the new APC based on the Merkava tank chassis.

https://youtu.be/BfDPulPKY8Y
Not really all that new. Back before the Great Recession, the IDF was in talks with Lima Army Tank Plant to build 300 of them for them since they didn't have the manufacturing capacity to build them as well as the Mk4's they wanted to build at the same time. When the Recession hit, something had to give budget wise, and the Namer was pushed back.

Proud fan(atic) of the CV90 Series.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:51 AM
Registered Registrant

Well, if Chalkline is going to choose a vehicle purely on the notion of being a special snowflake then I'm going to do it to!

I choose...
Ratel 20 IFV

Where am I going to get one besides South Africa?
Morocco took delivery of around 70 (two variants, the Ratel 20 and the Ratel 90) during 1981-1982.

I don't intend going swimming with it so a lack of amphibious ability isn't too much of a concern, I don't intend hunting anything carrying a gun larger than a .50 cal. with it so the APC level of armour shouldn't be too much of a concern. Like Chalkline mentioned about his choice, it's a bus with some minor protection and a bit of fire support.
It's tall, tall like the OT-64 SKOT, which makes it great for seeing over the long grass of the veldt but maybe not so useful in Europe and you probably want to avoid street fighting.

But...
It has a range of approximately 1000km with 530 litres of fuel and can travel at speeds up to 105kph on roads. It also comes fitted with two 50 litre drinking water reservoirs.
Comes standard with 3 doors, left & right sides with the third at the rear and also has four large roof hatches plus a smaller hatch at the rear for AA defence.
Armament consists of a 20mm autocannon in the turret plus additional 7.62mm MGs on pintle mounts as required.
3 crew and 9 passengers, lots of storage space.

Now I just got to get it from Morocco, through Spain and into Central Europe!
So yes, I could avoid all the problems if I just decided on the OT-64 instead (plus the -64 is amphibious) but I really, really, really like the Ratel

Rear access (vehicle is the ZT3 ATGW version and not the Ratel 20 but the basic hull is identical)

Side doors
Old 08-29-2020, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Default Real Looker

The Ratel also just looks cool.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 08-29-2020, 07:43 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
The Ratel also just looks cool.
Yes indeed!
When I saw pictures of the Ratel for the first time, it seemed futuristic compared to the military vehicles I was used to seeing in the 1980s. That appeal might have changed in theme over time but it has never diminished, the Ratel just looks too "cool" to forget!

Gratuitous Ratel 90 images:
90mm gun

Old 08-29-2020, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
Yes indeed!
When I saw pictures of the Ratel for the first time, it seemed futuristic compared to the military vehicles I was used to seeing in the 1980s. That appeal might have changed in theme over time but it has never diminished, the Ratel just looks too "cool" to forget!

Gratuitous Ratel 90 images:
90mm gun

First thing that jumped out to me, is how do you close the view port/window shields with out exposing your self to fire?
Old 08-29-2020, 11:08 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
First thing that jumped out to me, is how do you close the view port/window shields with out exposing your self to fire?
I take it you mean the firing ports below each window? As I understand it they are fitted with a simple, cylindrical block that's controlled by a lever, to allow you to open or close the port.
The picture below of a Ratel 90, shows them in various staged of being "open".
I believe that sometimes they were left open to increase airflow through the vehicle while travelling (however that was passed on to me second-hand so treat it as anecdotal).

EDIT: OH! I just realised you probably meant the protective shields over the driver's windows. I think they have to be closed by someone on the outside of the vehicle but considering that they were another layer of protection for when things got really hairy, the doctrine probably states to close them before going into combat.

Last edited by StainlessSteelCynic; 08-29-2020 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Finally understanding what CDAT meant... hopefully
Old 08-30-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I take it you mean the firing ports below each window? As I understand it they are fitted with a simple, cylindrical block that's controlled by a lever, to allow you to open or close the port.
The picture below of a Ratel 90, shows them in various staged of being "open".
I believe that sometimes they were left open to increase airflow through the vehicle while travelling (however that was passed on to me second-hand so treat it as anecdotal).

EDIT: OH! I just realised you probably meant the protective shields over the driver's windows. I think they have to be closed by someone on the outside of the vehicle but considering that they were another layer of protection for when things got really hairy, the doctrine probably states to close them before going into combat.
Yes, I was talking about the driver's windows, and that was what I was guessing (that it needed to be done it before), I thought that it was nice to give the option of added protection, but did not see anyway that you could put it up if you were surprised.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:59 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
Yes, I was talking about the driver's windows, and that was what I was guessing (that it needed to be done it before), I thought that it was nice to give the option of added protection, but did not see anyway that you could put it up if you were surprised.
Yeah it took me a little while to realise that but I got there eventually!
Interestingly, for all the pictures I've seen of Ratels apparently in combat or during combat training, I don't recall ever seeing any of the vehicles with those shields raised.
Obviously the driver's windows are some pretty heavy duty armoured glass but they must have been particularly effective because it appears that those protective shields were not often used or... there just aren't many photos available showing the Ratel actually in combat.
The few times I've seen pictures of the shields raised is vehicles on static display at shows etc. etc.

However because I am intensely curious... this post has taken me many minutes longer than it should because I was searching the net for pictures...
I did find this image of a Ratel apparently hit by enemy aircraft and it appears as though the shields were in the raised position.

Image from here: - https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/390124386456757714/
Old 08-30-2020, 09:07 PM

Quote:
However because I am intensely curious... this post has taken me many minutes longer than it should because I was searching the net for pictures...
I did find this image of a Ratel apparently hit by enemy aircraft and it appears as though the shields were in the raised position.
I think that's just gravity at work. They look like they're just hanging there, not latched closed.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:03 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
I think that's just gravity at work. They look like they're just hanging there, not latched closed.
I thought so too but when you look at the shield for the right-hand side, it's also upright and not hanging as could be expected if they were unsecured.
The shields have a pretty minimalist type of latch to keep them secured in the upright position so it's probably not unexpected that if the shields in that photo where in the upright position when the vehicle rolled over, that they wouldn't necessarily be securely fixed into position - although I suspect that stiff hinges probably help a lot as well.

This pic of the Ratel AT version, provides a somewhat better view of the shields and their latches.

This image and also the other two showing the ZT3 ATGW equipped Ratel are from the following site: -
http://www.sa-transport.co.za/milita...ehicles_3.html
Old 09-08-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther Al View Post
Not really all that new. Back before the Great Recession, the IDF was in talks with Lima Army Tank Plant to build 300 of them for them since they didn't have the manufacturing capacity to build them as well as the Mk4's they wanted to build at the same time. When the Recession hit, something had to give budget wise, and the Namer was pushed back.
Yeah, Namer entered service in 2008, but in very low quantities - by 2014, there were only 120 in service. The goal is to reach around 530 in service so they can replace the M113s still in use.

2016 saw the decision to add Trophy to Namer as a hard-kill anti-missile defense. In 2017 they showed a prototype with an uncrewed 30mm turret, but AFAIK that hasn't entered production.

The new Israeli IFV is Eitan.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:47 PM

Meant to post this earlier but sort of forgot. I voted "Other" because my favorite IFV in T2K is the Toyota Hilux (or other 3/4 ton pickup). In my Red Dawn-ish game pickups were the main player vehicles. They had pintle mounts welded to roll bars for M2s and M60s. Their main defense was GTFO rather than stand up fights.

This repeated in an East Europe game. The players preferred the lower profile of civilian pickups over military trucks or APCs. Two characters with dirt bikes that would scout ahead of the truck convoy to avoid encounters with heavier vehicles. They also camouflaged the trucks to look like locals driving beaters so as to not draw attention when they couldn't avoid an encounter.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:59 PM

I voted for the Bradley, I loved that thing as a model for wargaming. I would have voted for the Marder 1, if it had been available, because that's what I rode.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:28 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus Maior View Post
I voted for the Bradley, I loved that thing as a model for wargaming. I would have voted for the Marder 1, if it had been available, because that's what I rode.
I think the Marder on the list is meant to be a 1A1, it could easily be a typo that left out the A and made it 11?

Edit: Looking at the poll again it's not Marder 11 it's definitely Marder II so that is a bit of a problem. I believe the Marder II was a WW era tank destroyer.
Still, I can't help thinking that the Marder on the poll is meant to be the IFV

Last edited by StainlessSteelCynic; 09-27-2020 at 06:30 PM. Reason: updating
Old 09-28-2020, 06:29 AM

I think the poll meant the Marder 2, a prototype vehicle of the 80s, which was supposed to deliver an IFV side-kick to the then-new Leopard 2.

I think, I remember it appearing in an older T2k publication.

Link to German Wikipedia: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marder_2
Old 09-28-2020, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Default Clarification

The poll option refers to the Marder IFV. I typed "Marder II" in error (I was probably reading about WW2 at the time). Sorry for the confusion. I think it's too late to edit the poll, but I'll check, just in case.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

Old 09-29-2020, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 10-06-2020, 05:56 AM

Just realised that the Spartan isn't on the list. Poor thing always gets forgotten about
Old 10-06-2020, 06:57 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenkezef View Post
Just realised that the Spartan isn't on the list. Poor thing always gets forgotten about
Nor was the FV432
Old 05-24-2022, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Default Pole Position

Although it hasn't received a single vote, I think a strong case could be made for the OT-64/SKOT in a Poland (or Czechoslovakia) based campaign.

Pros:
  • Amphibious
  • Diesel engine (more fuel efficient, and less combustible than gasoline)
  • Large capacity (2+ 10-18 passengers, depending on model)
  • Spare parts not uncommon
  • Decent armament (KPV and PKT coax, or DShK)
  • Thicker armor than BTR series

Like most wheeled APCs, the big cons are relatively thin armor, and less cross-country mobility than a tracked APC. Being mistaken for a PACT vehicle could be a pro or a con depending on where the vehicle is operating.

-

Last edited by Raellus; 05-24-2022 at 10:23 AM.