RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-11-2011, 05:43 PM

Default Horses, grazing and feed in TW2000

I'm soon to be running a one-shot campaign of 'Red Star Lone Star' where the PCs are actually Texas Rangers sent from the new Texas State capital of Witchita Falls to Port Lavaca in order to establish a presence 'behind enemy lines'. As the PCs will be mounted on horses, this is the first time I've actually looked in depth at the rules for horses and upkeep which raises a few questions I hope this forum can answer:

1. The 1st Ed rules break down the requirements of upkeep at 15kg and 10kg daily (for horses and mules respectively) plus 4hrs of grazing. I'm not an animal expert, but this seems awfully high. With a minimum load, I can barely keep one day of feed for a mule and horse.

2. Couldn't a horse or mule graze for say, 8 hours a day, and then still be able to travel 4-8 hrs? What about all horse mounted units in Europe? If a horse is eating 15kg of grain a day, I would think that feed would be better used for brewing eth or even feeding humans.

I'd appreciate anyones thoughts on 'realistic' consumption rates for horses and mules or any house rules.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:03 PM

Hi John. The T2K Forum Thread Map (Long) is a great place to look for previous discussions on topics like this one (it's a sticky thread near the top of page one of the thread list). The first thread you should probably look at is Horses in T2K ( http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=946 ). It's in the Ground Transportation segment of the Thread Map.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrum View Post
I'm soon to be running a one-shot campaign of 'Red Star Lone Star' where the PCs are actually Texas Rangers sent from the new Texas State capital of Witchita Falls to Port Lavaca in order to establish a presence 'behind enemy lines'. As the PCs will be mounted on horses, this is the first time I've actually looked in depth at the rules for horses and upkeep which raises a few questions I hope this forum can answer:

1. The 1st Ed rules break down the requirements of upkeep at 15kg and 10kg daily (for horses and mules respectively) plus 4hrs of grazing. I'm not an animal expert, but this seems awfully high. With a minimum load, I can barely keep one day of feed for a mule and horse.

2. Couldn't a horse or mule graze for say, 8 hours a day, and then still be able to travel 4-8 hrs? What about all horse mounted units in Europe? If a horse is eating 15kg of grain a day, I would think that feed would be better used for brewing eth or even feeding humans.

I'd appreciate anyones thoughts on 'realistic' consumption rates for horses and mules or any house rules.
http://www.thesupplybunker.net/Morrow/horses.txt as mentioned elsewhere is one of the if not THE best house rules I have seen on horses.

In answer to Nr 2.
Can you do it? Yes. For how long before the horse fails depends on how hard you work the horse during the travel time.. how heavy is the load, speed of travel, country traveling in, etc. The nomadic tribes traveled on horses that were fed nothing but grass, however they usually had a string of horses they rode each day, not just one. And those horses usually never tasted grain. Modern horses have been softened by pampering, and expected to work much harder as a consequence. The grain provides much more compact energy than they can get from grass, which is over 50% moisture. Hay, dried grass, is more compact energy than fresh grass, but still not as good as grain for them if they are soley on hay under hard labor.

FB

Last edited by Graebarde; 09-12-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: added to reason for grain.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Talking

Interesting idea might

I'm working on a NPC you might like Texas Ranger Captain Cordell Walker aka Chuck Norris,

He not actually Chuck Norris because as we all know if Chuck Norris was deployed durring the war, he would have used a frist strike weapon to destory the entire Soviet War machine, I can only assume he would have lanched at Russian under his owe power and when he landed the Soviets would have surrended unconditional and beg him to kick them in the face

Tags
foodstuffs, grain, horses, logistics