RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2016, 04:56 PM

Default Bolthole or Recon Base?

So here's a question, while TM1-1 tells us that the bolthole is designed to be abandoned, who out there goes with the freezing facility becoming a permanent base for the team?
Old 09-05-2016, 06:07 PM

I agree it could be used. At worse it could be a root celler. Why not give the team a starting base ??
Old 09-05-2016, 06:17 PM

I can see a single use bolthole for a Recon Team, their job, after all, is get off their collective rears and explore their area and make contact with the locals.

I've seen several games where the PD allowed a permanent base and it resulted in the team going to all of their caches and transport the treasure back to home base...

I can see such a base for a Science Team or possibly a MARS Team, but Recon...
Old 09-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Internet Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoon500ly View Post
I can see a single use bolthole for a Recon Team, their job, after all, is get off their collective rears and explore their area and make contact with the locals.

I've seen several games where the PD allowed a permanent base and it resulted in the team going to all of their caches and transport the treasure back to home base...

I can see such a base for a Science Team or possibly a MARS Team, but Recon...
Bolt hole for EVERYONE...... for exactly that reason. They have a base to report to.......... Their Regional Base..... First, locate the rest of their Combined Group and activate them... then find their Regional Base.

Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Internet Intellectual

There is only one thing harder to get the PC group out of than their bolthole.

The V-150.

Seriously, have them wake to the critical failure alarm and rising water...... The bolthole will be completely under water in +6 hours because the river has changed course and debris has blocked the damn.

Have them awoken to a radiation alarm.... the containment of the fusion plant has been compromised by 150 years and failure is imminent.

Something that makes the hole unusable.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:59 AM

I concur, if the player's won't leave voluntary, then it's time for the PD to get creative!

My only thought about the Science Team is the possibility that the PhD types may be older and not as physically fit...so, maybe a permanent base with lab facilities.

MARS Teams might have access to helicopters or other aviation assets, hence a need for maintenance facilities.

Just a few thoughts...
Old 09-05-2016, 07:32 PM

Use a bolt hole as a permanent base, no. A bolt hole has no sanitary facilities to deal with waste and no food storage or prep area for meals. It is not intended to exist or function for a long, indefinite period without regard to unforeseeable conditions. It is not designed for permanent occupation.

Depending on the environmental conditions and situation the team might use the bolt hole as a temporary base for a short time, from a week to a month.

IMO, the first thing a team does once outside its bolt hole is to do circular recon sweeps of the surrounding area at increasing intervals of about 75 meters to a max of 600 meters as quietly as possible. Of course, this depends on the location of the bolt hole, whether in hills, mountains, desert, forest, snow, etc. 1. Observe, 2. Assess, 3. Act

YMMV