RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-10-2008, 02:54 AM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default disturbing

General Pain 04-23-2008, 08:12 AM i just discovered that Norway's most infamous Satanic murderer used to play T2K.........

I hope the conservative media never finds this article:

http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/a_burzum_story01.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varg_Vikernes - crazy church burner!!

pmulcahy 04-23-2008, 08:31 AM To things like that, I say, "So what?" Unfortunately, there tends to be a knee-jerk reaction among the press and public to link RPGs (particularly Fantasy RPGs, but others as well) to mental illness and generally weird behavior. To me, that reaction is as invalid as those link violent TV and movies (and now video games) to violent and deviant behavior.

Those violent TV shows and movies have been around as long as I remember -- I don't think I've seen anything more violent than the Saturday morning cartoons I watched as a kid! And yet, somehow the vast majority of kids grow up without turning into psychopaths or sociopaths...

This is all connected to the tendency these days for people to want quick, easy solutions to extremely complicated problems. One of the most disturbing things I notice in everyday life is that people don't know how to think things through anymore -- because they were never taught how important it is do be able to do so.

Raellus 04-23-2008, 06:35 PM It really bugs me that my ancestor's homeland (Norway) is primarily known by the rest of the world for its "black metal" church-burners.

The Swedes have their meatballs and IKEA. Norwegians have Mayhem. Nice.

Lt_Kamikaze 04-23-2008, 06:45 PM The Swedes have their meatballs and IKEA. Norwegians have Mayhem. Nice.

Don't forget the blondes!

And what about the Finns? I guess we don't have anything, even the church burners.

pmulcahy 04-23-2008, 06:45 PM I think I mentioned a long time ago on the old boards my belief that IKEA was an insidous Swedish plot to take over the world by selling furniture with inscrutible instructions. The wily Swedes intend to make us all go so insane trying to assemble their IKEA furniture products that we all go completely, catatonically insane -- staring at piles of wood and metal, mumbling over and over again, "Put rod A into the hole in side panel 1...there's no rods in the box..."

Raellus 04-23-2008, 07:10 PM Don't forget the blondes!

And what about the Finns? I guess we don't have anything, even the church burners.

Norway's got blondes too, BTW.

Come on! The Finns have NOKIA and the world's highest suicide rates (if 60 Minutes is to be believed...).

; )

Paul, you may be right. IKEA has already cast a spell on my wife. Thank God the nearest one is 150 miles away...

chico20854 04-23-2008, 09:06 PM And (before Antenna jumps in to defend Sweden's so-called innocence ) Ikea moved its headquarters to Denmark a few years back in an insidious plot to pay lower taxes!

(and there are 3 within 50 miles. After finishing one room with Ikea furniture I swore that not another bit would be allowed into my home!)

pmulcahy 04-23-2008, 09:25 PM Come on! The Finns have NOKIA and the world's highest suicide rates (if 60 Minutes is to be believed...)

Let me guess...Finland is the #1 importer of IKEA products?

Citizens of Finland beware! You are the Swedes' first target!!!!

kato13 04-23-2008, 11:08 PM I hope the conservative media never finds this article:

I never found it to be conservative media just religious media that had a serious problem with RPGs. The 700 club (Evangelist Pat Robertson show) was particularly vicious in its attacks against DnD. For the most part the traditional media just over hypes minor connections as part of the general fear mongering they do about EVERYTHING.

One of the the effects of the bad press was the fact that my best friends wife, who is a devout Christian, still absolutely refuses to learn anything about DnD. The funny thing is she actually played Dark Conspiracy with our group and LOVED it.

Targan 04-23-2008, 11:43 PM One of the the effects of the bad press was the fact that my best friends wife, who is a devout Christian, still absolutely refuses to learn anything about DnD. The funny thing is she actually played Dark Conspiracy with our group and LOVED it.

That is really weird. And shows either extreme ignorance or extreme confusion. Sorry, no disrespect meant to your friend's wife. Not being religious in any way I have always been a bit puzzled by those sorts of reactions. As far as I am concerned all the world's religions are simply fairy tales that vast numbers of adults buy into. 21st century humans, so very sophisticated. Yeah right.

Edit: Oops, I'm being offensive again. Look, from my perspective people are welcome to believe what they like as long as they don't knock on my door at 09:00 on a Sunday morning and ask me "Have you heard the word of God?". Some of the finest people I have met have had very strong faith and if that helps them and their families good for them.

kato13 04-24-2008, 12:36 AM Sorry, no disrespect meant to your friend's wife.

None taken. She knows it is a little hypocritical but I think she does it out of respect for her parents. Her parents warned her about DnD and she does not now, even as an adult, want to go against their wishes.

One of the oddest things (from my perspective) I ever saw her parents do was chastise her for using the word "Ambrosia" about a food that our circle of friends loved (Beef and Cheddar Croissants, yum). They felt that by using that word about food she was eating, it meant she was comparing herself to a god. We just meant it was really really delicious. But her parents apparently had a pretty wide ranging perspective about anything that might seem blasphemous.

But in the end they are tremendous people, one a lifelong cop, the other a trauma nurse. Since their faith helps them I just try to watch and learn from them, and I no longer judge them like I did in my self centered and foolish militant atheist youth. I think we agree, to each their own.

Targan 04-24-2008, 12:42 AM But in the end they are tremendous people, one a lifelong cop, the other a trauma nurse. Since their faith helps them I just try to watch and learn from them, and I no longer judge them like I did in my self centered and foolish militant atheist youth. I think we agree, to each their own.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. Knowing people like that means you can't just write off people of strong faith (which to my shame is my instinctive reaction). I have enormous respect for the nursing profession. I've met some cops I really didn't like (you know the type, arrogant power trippers) but I won't deny they have a really tough job and without them society would degenerate very quickly.

Lt_Kamikaze 04-24-2008, 02:13 AM Come on! The Finns have NOKIA and the world's highest suicide rates (if 60 Minutes is to be believed...).

LOL! Talking to a fancy Nokia cell while jumping off a bridge... I really like the image we have abroad. And the suicide rate stuff is actually, sadly, true.

Let me guess...Finland is the #1 importer of IKEA products?

Citizens of Finland beware! You are the Swedes' first target!!!!

Wouldn't be amazed if we were. Don't you guys get the connection!? It's all those IKEA products driving finnish men to pure insanity and eventually blasting their brains to oblivion with their hunting shotguns.

Root of all evil!

Headquarters 04-24-2008, 02:25 AM It really bugs me that my ancestor's homeland (Norway) is primarily known by the rest of the world for its "black metal" church-burners.

The Swedes have their meatballs and IKEA. Norwegians have Mayhem. Nice.

did you find out were your ancestors were from ?

Targan 04-24-2008, 02:48 AM My blood is mostly Scottish (with a bit of Irish and a bit of English) so it is certain I have Norse blood in me somewhere! I am from New Zealand where most people have either Scottish or Maori blood or both.

I realise the question wasn't directed at me but I'm bored at work and this is the closest I'm getting to conversation.

MajorPo 04-24-2008, 03:54 AM I've always found it amusing when people jump to the conclusion that because some psycho (played rpgs, video games, listened to death metal, etc) that it must somehow be the cause. This particular fallacy of logic is know as the Post Hoc fallacy (from Latin phrase "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" or "After this, therefore because of this").

Essentially ignorant people often conclude that if something happens before something else (first I play rpgs, then later I kill someone) then the first thing must be the cause of the second.

Due to human nature the thing that's blamed is always something that's outside the experience of the person doing the blaming. That's probably why no-one has yet considered that nearly all serial killers have regularly brushed their teeth with toothpaste EVERY DAY before commencing their killing sprees...

Watch out for the toothpaste people, keep clear of those folks with pearly whites.

Headquarters 04-24-2008, 04:46 AM My blood is mostly Scottish (with a bit of Irish and a bit of English) so it is certain I have Norse blood in me somewhere! I am from New Zealand where most people have either Scottish or Maori blood or both.

I realise the question wasn't directed at me but I'm bored at work and this is the closest I'm getting to conversation.

Got any Maori relatives -or are you a full on P?keh? ?

Always kind of loved reading about the colonization /development of New Zealand. Exiting stories with the wars ,the Pa forts ,etc etc .

How are Maori/P?keh? relations today ?

And BTW -if P?keh? is insulting -did not mean to .

General Pain 04-24-2008, 04:54 AM I think I mentioned a long time ago on the old boards my belief that IKEA was an insidous Swedish plot to take over the world by selling furniture with inscrutible instructions. The wily Swedes intend to make us all go so insane trying to assemble their IKEA furniture products that we all go completely, catatonically insane -- staring at piles of wood and metal, mumbling over and over again, "Put rod A into the hole in side panel 1...there's no rods in the box..."

IKEA: those swedes sure know how to put almost all the pieces in there...

Targan 04-24-2008, 05:08 AM Got any Maori relatives -or are you a full on P?keh? ?

Always kind of loved reading about the colonization /development of New Zealand. Exiting stories with the wars ,the Pa forts ,etc etc .

How are Maori/P?keh? relations today ?

And BTW -if P?keh? is insulting -did not mean to .

Heh heh. No, P?keh? is the commonly used word for caucasian in New Zealand, no offence taken. The strange thing is that it was originally MEANT to be offensive by the Maori - it literally means "long pork" because the Maori apparently liked the taste of "the other white meat".

My mum's little sister married a Maori guy so I have half-Maori cousins, and I have always gotten along really well with Maori. I actually had an affair with a Maori woman who was one of my mum's friends when I was 20 and she was 32. Damn fine woman. Unfortunately her husband (who mistreated her) was a huge Maori shellfish diver so I was a bit worried he would find out

Maori-white relations today are pretty good. Unlike the situation with the native people in Australia the Maori people signed a treaty with Queen Victoria and became full Commonwealth citizens. There have always been Maoris in the New Zealand Army too. New Zealand is officially bilingual (English and Maori). Maoris make up about 20% of the population.

General Pain 04-24-2008, 05:13 AM not impresive but it's something other than church-burning blackmetal shit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Norwegian_inventions

oops....don't forget the paperclip

General Pain 04-24-2008, 05:16 AM Heh heh. No, P?keh? is the commonly used word for caucasian in New Zealand, no offence taken. The strange thing is that it was originally MEANT to be offensive by the Maori - it literally means "long pork" because the Maori apparently liked the taste of "the other white meat".

My mum's little sister married a Maori guy so I have half-Maori cousins, and I have always gotten along really well with Maori. I actually had an affair with a Maori woman who was one of my mum's friends when I was 20 and she was 32. Damn fine woman. Unfortunately her husband (who mistreated her) was a huge Maori shellfish diver so I was a bit worried he would find out

Maori-white relations today are pretty good. Unlike the situation with the native people in Australia the Maori people signed a treaty with Queen Victoria and became full Commonwealth citizens. There have always been Maoris in the New Zealand Army too. New Zealand is officially bilingual (English and Maori). Maoris make up about 20% of the population.

are u a womanizer Targan....he he just kidding...I really like hearing more of Chronicals of Targan hehe

pmulcahy 04-24-2008, 07:24 AM One of the the effects of the bad press was the fact that my best friends wife, who is a devout Christian, still absolutely refuses to learn anything about DnD. The funny thing is she actually played Dark Conspiracy with our group and LOVED it.

I hate to criticize your friend's wife, but she sounds sort of like some people I've met. When they find out I'm an atheist, the reaction, about 50% of the time, is "So you're a devil-worshipper!" or some variation of that.

boogiedowndonovan 04-24-2008, 01:52 PM I hate to criticize your friend's wife, but she sounds sort of like some people I've met. When they find out I'm an atheist, the reaction, about 50% of the time, is "So you're a devil-worshipper!" or some variation of that.

Paul, you should come out to California. Out here, you'd be welcome.

Neal5x5 04-24-2008, 02:46 PM I hate to criticize your friend's wife, but she sounds sort of like some people I've met. When they find out I'm an atheist, the reaction, about 50% of the time, is "So you're a devil-worshipper!" or some variation of that.

You should point out that they are Greek Athiests; they don't believe in Zeus.

Raellus 04-25-2008, 04:24 PM did you find out were your ancestors were from ?

They lived in the Stavanger area, I believe. My great, great grandfather on my father's side was the dean of the Lutheran cathedral there. My great grandfather emmigrated to Chicago, Illinois before settling down in the Seattle, Washington area.

My mother's side of the family is of Irish/English/German descent so I'm a norse, celtic, germanic, anglo-saxon mutt.

Mongrel power!

Targan 04-26-2008, 07:09 AM Mongrel power!

I believe the correct scientific term is "hybrid vigour".

Grimace 04-27-2008, 11:12 AM I hesitantly clicked on this thread because I was afraid I was going to have to read two pages of some deep, darkening discussions about various mental deviencies but instead I find that people are discussing furniture, strange factual polls on various rates of suicide or whatever, and the general make-up of their heritage.

Disturbing indeed. :hehe:

For what it's worth, since this thread seems to be a "whatever works" sorta thing. I'm a healthy mix of English and German. 1/4 English, 3/4 German. So I'll try to talk things out for a bit, then when I get pissed off at you, I want to moitalize ya!

Carry on...

pmulcahy 04-27-2008, 12:18 PM You know, (AFAIK), my ancestry on one side goes back to pagan Irish Gaelics on one side and somplace near India on the other. More immediately, my father is a decendant of a Black Irish clan, and my mother is from Croatia by way of a German cconcentration camp. My father's side has a long military tradition going back to before the American Revolution; before that, they were known in Southern Ireland as criminals and thugs who had short tempers and long memeories. My mother's ancestors (as much as we can tell; much of it was done with mitochondrial genetic maps that a lab in Southern California does)were ancestors of the original Gypsies, who later split off and became Croatian Muslims, some of her ancestors worked directly for Vlad the Impaler himself, and many would be called thieves, murderers, and (including my mother) terrorists or freedom fighters, depending upon who you ask.

In short, I'm American. I'm not Irish-American, Croatian-American, Gypsy-American, or any sort of hyphenated American. Simply American.

Headquarters 04-30-2008, 04:34 AM They lived in the Stavanger area, I believe. My great, great grandfather on my father's side was the dean of the Lutheran cathedral there. My great grandfather emmigrated to Chicago, Illinois before settling down in the Seattle, Washington area.

My mother's side of the family is of Irish/English/German descent so I'm a norse, celtic, germanic, anglo-saxon mutt.

Mongrel power!

quite.

due to the slavetrade (norse slavers took app 25 % of the Irish population over the span of a couple of dark centuries and untold numbers of Germans and other Saxon and Anglos inj addition to all the francos,rus ,balts ,finns,arabs ,africans ,caucasians etc )

I would say its pretty much one big mutt -pound over here

I live in Stavanger with my family - so I would be happy to do some checking if you would like .

I also have a relative who went over there in the 1920s and slided out of touch..God knows what kin I got over there hehe..(Hopefully a rich uncle -thats a saying in Norway -"hope for a rich uncle to call fron America")

I might be YOU.

( kidding )

anyways here is a possibly unwanted albeit maybe useful site .

http://www.genealogi.no/index.htm

and this :

http://www.regionstavanger.com/

bye now.

gstitz 04-30-2008, 07:45 PM i just discovered that Norway's most infamous Satanic murderer used to play T2K.........

Interestingly enough, the game "Doom", generally recognized as the first "First Person Shooter" and also generally called the first "violent video game", was released in 1993 (the same year that T2K V2.2 was released).

Ever since then, the following US crime statistics have been either steadily declining (sometimes by 10% a year or more), steady, or have only increased by tiny fractions:

(source: FBI Uniform Crime Reports, 1987 - 2006)

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_01.html

Total Numbers of Violent Crimes

Violent Crime Rate per 100,000 people

Total Number of Murders

Murder Rate per 100,000 people

In fact, you are 37% LESS likely to be the victim of a violent crime today, after years of "violent" RPGs (T2K), "devil-worshiping" RPGs (D&D) and "violent video games" (GTA IV, etc) and "sex- and violence-filled TV shows" (take your pick) than before...

General Pain 05-01-2008, 07:30 AM Interestingly enough, the game "Doom", generally recognized as the first "First Person Shooter" and also generally called the first "violent video game", was released in 1993 (the same year that T2K V2.2 was released).

Ever since then, the following US crime statistics have been either steadily declining (sometimes by 10% a year or more), steady, or have only increased by tiny fractions:

(source: FBI Uniform Crime Reports, 1987 - 2006)

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_01.html

Total Numbers of Violent Crimes

Violent Crime Rate per 100,000 people

Total Number of Murders

Murder Rate per 100,000 people

In fact, you are 37% LESS likely to be the victim of a violent crime today, after years of "violent" RPGs (T2K), "devil-worshiping" RPGs (D&D) and "violent video games" (GTA IV, etc) and "sex- and violence-filled TV shows" (take your pick) than before...

that takes me back....I even bought the novels...

Brother in Arms 05-01-2008, 05:06 PM The finns have beutiful women too! I met one once when I was a mere lad of 17. I have always wanted to go to finland and after I met her I was pretty sure I wanted to move there. The fins have interesting firearms too.

Now Denmark is a country that doesn't have anything that jumps right out at you.

Brother in Arms

pmulcahy 05-01-2008, 05:48 PM The finns have beutiful women too! I met one once when I was a mere lad of 17. I have always wanted to go to finland and after I met her I was pretty sure I wanted to move there. The fins have interesting firearms too.

Now Denmark is a country that doesn't have anything that jumps right out at you.

Brother in Arms

Ahhh...kids these days! When will they ever learn that a woman can be attractive without being beautiful and beautiful without being attractive?

Lt_Kamikaze 05-02-2008, 01:45 AM Now Denmark is a country that doesn't have anything that jumps right out at you.

Brother in Arms

You obviously have never heard them talking!

Now I know Finnish isn't one of the easiest languages for a foreigner to understand or follow, but seriously, listen to the Danes.

General Pain 05-02-2008, 07:12 AM You obviously have never heard them talking!

Now I know Finnish isn't one of the easiest languages for a foreigner to understand or follow, but seriously, listen to the Danes.

Belive me, Finnish is a million times worse than danish. Norweigian,danish and swedish sound very similar,but finnish sound more like russian and variants,,,

here is a funny storywell I guess you had to be there) - anyway I and a group of colleges was at an Italian resturant in St.Moritz (Switzerland) we all ate good pizza and had a couple of beers....Then a young Italian waitress comes to our table and asks :

"are you all finnish?"

- me beeing the jokster answered

"No, we're Norweigian"

- loud laughter followed for many minutes...

(sad part was that the girl didn't get it.....)

pmulcahy 05-02-2008, 10:06 AM Have you ever heard a Czech person speak? Makes you wonder if the language has any vowels in it!

Lt_Kamikaze 05-03-2008, 02:04 AM Have you ever heard a Czech person speak? Makes you wonder if the language has any vowels in it!

Or Polish, or, or... Same applies to most eastern European languages, IMHO. Also, what's the deal with hebrew and arabic languages? :P Or Chinese and other Asian languages... Heh, we could go on and on..

Belive me, Finnish is a million times worse than danish. Norweigian,danish and swedish sound very similar,but finnish sound more like russian and variants,,,

Well that's not fair, you know. You are Norwegian, so you have a much better grip on the Danish mongrel. I do speak Swedish, and fairly well for that matter, but I haven't the faintest clue what they are talking about. Some words here and there I can recognize, but otherwise it's just like they're talking with a hot potato in their mouth.

Russian? No.. That's a whole different language. Finnish is part of the Finno-Ugrian (or Uralic) language family. Related are Estonian, Sami, Karelian, Hungarian and a whole bunch of small languages (that they made us learn by heart at school) around the Ural mountains. Hungarian is not much like Finnish, but apparently still related in terms of grammar etc. For more information http://virtual.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp?intNWSAID=25827

So, Russian? No.. But partly correct anyway, as most of the related languages are in Russia.

weswood 05-03-2008, 05:13 AM Me and a buddy were in a bar in the Philipines with two young ladies once upon a time. The two gals were rattling back and forth in high speed Tagalog. My buddy asked " I wonder what their talking about". I said "Well, this one said this, and that one said that." The girls looked at me and their jaws hit the floor. "You speak Tagalog??????" "No, but I understand enough spanish to catch enough to piece together what you're saying." They whispered after that.

On the subjet of genealogy, I'm a mix of Irish, Danish, English, Cherokee, and God alone knows what else. In other words, pure red blooded American. I don't know much about my ancesters, except one. Dr Benjamin Rush is one of the signers of the U.S. Constitution.

Targan 05-03-2008, 05:28 AM I don't know much about my ancesters, except one. Dr Benjamin Rush is one of the signers of the U.S. Constitution.

That is a very cool family connection Wes.

weswood 05-03-2008, 05:41 PM That is a very cool family connection Wes.

Thanks. Not that I can take credit for it

Nowhere Man 1966 07-05-2008, 10:14 PM Oh, heck, why not, my first post in a long time:

Mom's side - German and Swedish

Dad's side - Russian, Russian Jew and Serbian My last name is a corrupted form of the original Serbian name of my family.

Chuck Mandus

TiggerCCW UK 07-06-2008, 04:04 AM Good to see you back Chuck.

Law0369 07-06-2008, 07:16 AM Law family came from Scotland in 1834 to america; Via London and New York. My grandmother on fathers side was 1/2 Mohawk Indian and 1/2 Scots Irish Surname Carter.

Mothers side is Pure Irish...Kelly and Cooper both came over in Potato Crisis.

Hangfire7 07-07-2008, 02:55 AM For my family, Ol Rene Ouellette came from Paris <yes one evil skeleton in my family closet, french blood!> and settled along the St. Larance Seaway in about 1600 or a little before.

The Rasors came from I forget what part of Scotland about 1700 and worked in Virginia where after a generation they pushed west with the likes of Boone and Kenton.

The Larners well she was an orphan of her fathers regiment and one of the officers sent her to America in the 1820s but she never met her sponsor.

And then my moms family left Finland shortly after their first war with Russia.

Now toss in all of the mixing and matching that occured over those few centuries and you have the mongrel before you

WES, been there did that and I had a similiar reaction from one, and one got all huffy and left. The one that stayed was amazed.

Now, you want hard to follow listen to a philipino who is supposed to speak english when they are in a panic over a radio! He kept jumping back and forth from one language to another and back again! Talk about hard to follow.

Or whats worse! A teenager of the female variety in modern speak on a cell phone while texting on another device at the same time! Her language or nationality are of no relevance, I defy any of you to follow that

Targan 07-07-2008, 03:58 AM On dad's side I'm mostly Scottish. My paternal line are Semples and they have been the Barons of Renfrew for centuries (also Baronets in Nova Scotia). Castle Craigievar, the ancestral seat of Clan Sempill, is one of the best preserved castles remaining in Scotland. The current clanhead is Lord Jamie Sempill, the 21st Baron. Mum's side are Cornish (Datsons) and Shetland Islander. I've got a little bit of Irish blood too (Ryans).