RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2010, 02:22 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Default OT - MW2 and T2K

Moder Warfare 2 is just fantastic.

If there are anyone else out there playing it (on PC) we should make a clan...

I was thinking - TEAM JUHLIN
Old 01-27-2010, 02:35 AM

Default how about .

5th ID..

The unit that players start out in in the core rules..
Old 01-27-2010, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Pain View Post
Moder Warfare 2 is just fantastic.
Oh man, I could not disagree more. Allow me to elucidate.

I bought Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on pre-order, and was eagerly awaiting its release. I loved the single player campaign in Modern Warfare 1 but at the time I wasn't able to play online. I've been playing quite alot of MW2 online on my PC since it was released in Australia (daily at times) and I don't have words to describe adequately how disappointed I am. I'm playing the PC version as I said previously.

Just for starters NO DEDICATED SERVERS. It uses a ported over version of the Xbox Live multiplayer system and it just isn't up to the job for the PC. Dedicated servers would be such a massive improvement but IW (the game's publisher) isn't interested in responding to the pleas of the game's PC players. As a result just getting into an online game and having a decent ping are incredibly lengthy and frustrating things to achieve.

The game has been massively compromised by hacks and cheats. There are companies online that will sell you entire packs of cheat hacks providing auto-aiming, allowing you to ignore walls, open all the unlocks and set your experience level to whatever you like. You can get individual packs by using Google and having a look around. I'm not interested in using cheats and I am constantly being slaughtered by blatant cheaters. I am actually pretty good at not kidding myself so I accept that many players are just better than I am at the game but there are many, many blatant cheaters.

Even without cheating there are exploits built into the game that make a mockery of its title of "Modern Warfare". Two of the most successful upgraded weapon/perk combinations in the game are dudes using knives attached to the end of pistols and dudes using a sawn off 1887 shotgun in each hand. Ridiculous. In what way are knives and 120 year old shotguns modern warfare?

I'm plugging away at the game online but it is very frustrating and I can only take it in small doses now before I yell at my monitor and go find something else to do. My attention is now focussed on Battlefield: Bad Company 2 which is coming out at the beginning of March. I have watched all the trailers for it at the EA Games website and they look awesome. http://www.ea.com/games/battlefield-bad-company-2 That is the next online game I will be playing heaps of.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:43 AM
The end is nigh!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Oh man, I could not disagree more. Allow me to elucidate.

I agree with you... using a PC to play the game is a horrible experience. Battlefield 2 and all its versions were a breeze compared to the nightmare of MW2.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:11 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Default Point taken Targan

since I'm running a pc with maximum GPUs (2x1,7gb) + 6gb ram and raptor disk + 100mb full duplex fiber - the game itsel'f run's perfectly - I'm was really satisfied with the 1 player - and as u sau the lack of dedicated servers is horrible in itsel'f - those mofo cheaters ***holes ruin a part of it too , must admit I allmost only play hardcore HQ pro though and I haven't encountered as much cheaters there -

I am thinking of trying out Operation Flashpoint 2 however - apart from that my nick is General Rudolph Pain
Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Pain View Post
I am thinking of trying out Operation Flashpoint 2 however - apart from that my nick is General Rudolph Pain
Don't do it man. You'll be horribly disappointed. Same situation with Op Flashpoint 2 Dragon Rising (no dedicated servers) but even worse than MW2 since OFDR actually says on the back of the box "Dedicated host server recommended for optimum performance". Code Masters (the publisher of Op Flashpoint 2 Dragon Rising) decided after they had released the game not to have dedicated servers and also not to released the Software Development Kit as they had previously promised.

There are heaps of bugs and things mising that were in the original Op Flashpoint. No free look in vehicles, really odd head height from the ground, enemies can see straight through light cover at long draw distances. And Code Masters has been really slow in bringing out fix patches. To date there have been only two for consoles and one (ONE!) fix patch for the PC version. Oh, and its graphics engine is years out of date. I pre-ordered OFDR just like I pre-ordered MW2. Don't I feel like a fool.

ARMA2 is better than Op Flashpoint 2 Dragon Rising. I recommend going with that if you like modern combat realism. I've become quite adept at piloting choppers in ARMA 2. It takes quite a bit of practice. I have a TrackIR 5 system that tracks the motion of my head and the vehicles in ARMA 2 have virtual cockpits so it is a joy for me to play. ARMA 2 is made by the same people that made Op Flashpoint 1. ARMA 2 is really the spiritual successor to Op Flashpoint 2, its just that the rights to that name were sold to Code Masters.

Once again I highly recommend checking out the trailers for Battlefield Bad Company 2 at http://www.ea.com/games/battlefield-bad-company-2

Oh, and for a look at how the TrackIR system works in ARMA 2 check this video out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wXx3vMy_AQ

Last edited by Targan; 01-28-2010 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:21 PM

Like Targan I've been playing MW2 since it's release. The single player is fun but the lack of servers and the cheating that comes with that really makes the online play suck. As I have now pre-ordered BF Bad Company I doubt I'll be playing MW2 much anymore. I asked google and very quickly found some cheat packs that let me go to level 70, unlock all the weapons and perks. The way I see it, if I'm not gonna play it much longer I may as well try out all the content the game has to offer.

The strange thing is that all the high level weapons are so far superior over the starting weapons. It seems like a weird decision in terms of game balance to give the most experienced players access to the best equipment and weapons. How are starting players expected to have a chance? Once you throw in the aimbots and wallhacks of course, anyone can dominate the game and enjoy the sweet rage of those they kill
Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Activist Rules Lawyer

I'm thinking of picking up MW2 myself (that or Fallout 3). I bought myself a PS3 for my bday.

I'm guessing that most of you guys have MW2 for Xbox or PC? I'm usually not one for online play, but it would be interesting to set up a clan (Red Devils, nickname for 5th ID)

But on the otherhand, I don't have a high tolerance for munchkins in T2k so I'd be annoyed by the cheaters on MW2.

-bdd
Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 PM

I too have made the mistake of expecting anti-cheat measures for MW2

Not only did you not fix cheats that have been in place since MW1....

but then you take away the dedicated servers which you could at least ban the blatant cheaters from a moderated server.

Anyways... long story short love the single player ...can't play online =\

Newest Battlefield is in the queue!
Tweetcurrent
Old 02-02-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven View Post
Newest Battlefield is in the queue!
Right on brother! MajorPo and I have been playing the beta of Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it is fantastic. We've both pre-ordered the game and are eagerly awaiting its release in early March. So much better than MW2 in every way.

Anyone who is considering buying MW2, please, please, please take a look at these trailers before you make your decision - http://www.ea.com/games/battlefield-bad-company-2
Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 PM

One great feature of Battlefield Bad Company 2 is that most of the built environment is destructible. Many times when I've been playing I've made the mistake of thinking that running behind a concrete wall will save me from an armoured vehicle only to see fist and head sized holes being punched through my cover by a tank's top of turret .50 cal. Also there have been a number of frenzied battles I've played in in which my squad mates and I have been desperately trying to hold onto a building only to watch the walls and roof being disintegrated around us by cannon and rocket fire. Last night I was the last man standing in a building and was very proud of myself, up until the moment when the poor building finally gave up the ghost and completely collapsed on top of me in a cloud of brick dust and smoke. So cool.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Bloomington IL

Default MW2

Well being a FPS fanatic figured i better chime in here.

MW 1 is the best shooter ive ever played, MW2 pushed all the guns together in statistics compared to the first. I play on PS3 and the countless hours i put in on MW1 has turned to barely playing part 2.

Right now im playing MAG, this is similar to bad company playwise, using health points for life and having less weapons. This game suffers from map repeats badly but had 256 player online battles. 4 squad platoons and 2 platoon companies i believe. It is moderatly fun although the rankings kick ass.

My main issue with Battlefield BC 1 was that I was a battlefield 2 player and I liked it much much better. All objects in part one were destructible and by the end of a good game there was no cover left haha. Appearantly there are non destructible areas in the new one or so ive heard.

The game I want or games are ARMA 2 for CPU and Rouge Warrior for PS3.
Also the new Afghanistan themed Medal of Honor

As for MW2 seeing the US invasion was very cool and I loved the single player. If your in the know then you know that 2 companies develop the COD games and the off team is working on the new game which according to patents and website domain aquisitions appears to be Cold War gone hot or perhaps Korea or nam themed. That is what im waiting for now.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:25 PM

I can tell you personally, Fallout 3 is the best game I have ever played on X360. With the great details and the added modules after the main storyline id over. Simply awesome!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post
I can tell you personally, Fallout 3 is the best game I have ever played on X360. With the great details and the added modules after the main storyline id over. Simply awesome!
I played Fallout 3 and all of its DLC on the PC for about 18 months. Absolutely fantastic. My character ended up with a vast stockpile of gear in his house. I had at least one example (usually many more for use as spared) of every collectable object, weapon, armour and munition in the game. I guess I'm a natural born hoarder
Old 02-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Activist Rules Lawyer

I hadn't read Targan's or Kalos72's posts, but I just went out yesterday and picked up Fallout 3.

GDWfan, how is MAG? is there a single player option?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiedowndonovan View Post
I hadn't read Targan's or Kalos72's posts, but I just went out yesterday and picked up Fallout 3.
I found this site very helpful when playing Fallout 3: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3

It helps you get the most out of the game. Also has lots of excellent background and information on Fallout 3's alternate history (the breakpoint from our history and stuff like that) and also what has gone before, in the earlier Fallout games.

When playing Fallout 3 I recommend that you autosave often as well as making multiple permanent save slots. It will save you a great deal of pain in the long run.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:06 PM
Bloomington IL

Default MAG

Mag is fun, however it seems that you are restricted to the same 5-6 weapons for the game. You can upgrade them but I was thinking guns on scale with the massive game.

When more maps and updates are out It will be better, Im gonna pick up rouge warrior and try that out now.

What do you guys think about this Cold War call of duty? Im hoping its 60's or 70's alternate history and it has commie zombies
Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Activist Rules Lawyer

Quote:
I found this site very helpful when playing Fallout 3: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3

It helps you get the most out of the game. Also has lots of excellent background and information on Fallout 3's alternate history (the breakpoint from our history and stuff like that) and also what has gone before, in the earlier Fallout games.

When playing Fallout 3 I recommend that you autosave often as well as making multiple permanent save slots. It will save you a great deal of pain in the long run.
Thanks for the link. Its been a fun and addicting game so far. This is likely going to be another game I will never finish (like Fallout 2).
Old 03-07-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:
One great feature of Battlefield Bad Company 2 is that most of the built environment is destructible. Many times when I've been playing I've made the mistake of thinking that running behind a concrete wall will save me from an armoured vehicle only to see fist and head sized holes being punched through my cover by a tank's top of turret .50 cal. Also there have been a number of frenzied battles I've played in in which my squad mates and I have been desperately trying to hold onto a building only to watch the walls and roof being disintegrated around us by cannon and rocket fire. Last night I was the last man standing in a building and was very proud of myself, up until the moment when the poor building finally gave up the ghost and completely collapsed on top of me in a cloud of brick dust and smoke. So cool.
Oops. I was such a fanboy of Battlefield Bad Company 2 when I was playing the beta. Now that the game has been released I am much saddened. The game is crap. Maybe when they've patched it a few times some of the problems will go away but for now what promised to be a great game has turned out to be a steaming loaf of something that definitely isn't marzipan. Sadness thy name is Targan

Tags
mw2, video games