RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 05-05-2021, 05:35 AM
Spartan-117

Default Rank Ordered List of the Best Modules

So I'll readily admit that I've not explored all the various T2K modules; especially the domestic modules. I was wondering if there had been a poll or thread about the best modules. Ideally, a rank ordered list with the best at the top, and the worst at the bottom, understanding that everyone may differ as to favorites. I'm just looking for a general idea of where to focus future reading efforts. Thanks!!
Old 05-05-2021, 05:46 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

Raellus did a poll a while ago.

Also, while not directly relevant to your question, I once worked up a flowchart of the chronological and geographic relationships between the 1e modules if you want to read them in suggested play order.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson

Last edited by Tegyrius; 05-05-2021 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 05:55 AM
Spartan-117

Cool, thanks. Maybe we need a 'what is the worst module' poll, to bookend it! haha

Last edited by Spartan-117; 05-05-2021 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:53 AM

It's worth unpacking both "best" and "worst" a little more, methinks. What are our criteria? Overall production values? Writing quality? Art quality? Playability? Story quality and plausibility (within the genre conventions and established setting)? Ease of integration into a broader campaign? Ease of use as a one-shot or short-run?

Also, should we judge the regional sourcebooks (e.g., The Free City of Krakow, RDF Sourcebook, Howling Wilderness, The Korean Peninsula) separately from the adventure modules? My inclination is yes, as the design objectives of the two product classes are rather different.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 05-05-2021, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
It's worth unpacking both "best" and "worst" a little more, methinks. What are our criteria? Overall production values? Writing quality? Art quality? Playability? Story quality and plausibility (within the genre conventions and established setting)? Ease of integration into a broader campaign? Ease of use as a one-shot or short-run?

Also, should we judge the regional sourcebooks (e.g., The Free City of Krakow, RDF Sourcebook, Howling Wilderness, The Korean Peninsula) separately from the adventure modules? My inclination is yes, as the design objectives of the two product classes are rather different.

- C.
I would also add in your excellent Pacific Northwest and the East Africa Kenya Sourcebook to that list
Old 05-10-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
I would also add in your excellent Pacific Northwest and the East Africa Kenya Sourcebook to that list
I love the game, but it's publications are a bit uneven.

For example, one module will focus enormously on characters and particular details of a region, like Free City of Krakow. Others focus more on adventure like The Black Madonna.

Probably the best ones in my personal opinion help flesh out regional details. They include:

Pacific Northwest
Bangkok: Cesspool of the Orient
East Africa
The Last Submarine
Old 05-15-2021, 05:02 PM

The T2000 v1 DTRPG Guide to Twilight: 2000 version 1.0 (free download from DriveThruRPG, originally a FFE document) breaks down GDW's own survey data. While their claimed pool of 42 players does not represent a statistically significant sample, here's their ranked list:

The same document holds some other interesting historical information, including total print runs for each product.

- C.

- Josh Olson
Old 05-15-2021, 07:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegyrius View Post
The T2000 v1 DTRPG Guide to Twilight: 2000 version 1.0 (free download from DriveThruRPG, originally a FFE document) breaks down GDW's own survey data. While their claimed pool of 42 players does not represent a statistically significant sample, here's their ranked list:

The same document holds some other interesting historical information, including total print runs for each product.

- C.
I wouldnt put much weight int that data considering it was gathered during the GDW days and doesnt include any kind of info on how many have been downloaded on the drivethrurpg site -which would be a much better indication of what people actually want as to modules and sourcebooks