RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Members as a party.... Slightly OT

TiggerCCW UK 02-26-2003, 08:38 AM I was reading through some of the posts on the board and one of the most intrigueing was the suggestion that we could make up a party from the members of the board. What sort of skills could we all bring to the party?

pyro 02-26-2003, 10:09 AM As a Character I would have low combat skills (i.e. I shoot, but I didn't serve in the military). However in real life I'm a chemist and a volunteer firefighter and I hold a pyrotechnician's liscense. So I know a thing or two about starting and putting out fires, and a thing or two about explosives.

pyro out.

MJGRIFF 02-26-2003, 09:54 PM PYRO don't sell yourself short, those are pretty handy skills and knowledge there. Now my experience would pretty much come from military service, but it's pretty diverse. Being a (current) Scout, and (former) Ranger, I've gotten "around", but I'm damned sure no mechanic (one of the top ten skills in T2000) so someone else will have to fix it (proabably after I break it (I told ya' I'm a Scout !!!)).

Sua Sponte

Griff

TR 02-26-2003, 10:06 PM Some time back I had taken the plunge and tried to create myself using the Twilight rules and what I knew and could do at that time... course it's not perfect as there were somethings that don't translate into the game but I learned to do...

This is what I came up with then:

Character: Tim R. Walker

Initative: 4

Nationality: American

Weight: 60 kg

Rads: 11

Gener: Male

Throw Range: 20

Load: 36 kg

Attributes and Skills

Strength: 5 Constitution: 6 Agility: 6

Hunting Bow-3

Melee Armed-3

Melee Unarmed-3

Small Arms Pistol-4

Small Arms Rifle-4

Thrown Weapon-3

Horsemanship-2

Swimming-1

Stealth-3

Wheeled Vehicle-4

Education: 6 Charisma: 6 Intelligence: 7

Archaeology-4

Biology-1

Computer-4

Geology-3

History-7

Medical-1

Meterology-1

Trivia (Movies & Music)-7

Instruction-4

Leadership-5

Persuasion-5

Fishing-2

Navigation-3

Observation-4

Scrounging-3

No killer commando type but then not all of us have militarybackgrounds either (unfortunatly).

It might serve to amuse others though...

Until Later

TR

pmulcahy 02-26-2003, 11:15 PM Well, I'm a combat veteran with the 82nd Airborne in the US Army, have a decent background in martial arts, have a BA in History with a minor in Poli Sci, and have gotten pretty good with computers (mostly self-taught).

On the other hand, at the age of 40, I am somewhat fat, out of shape due to what we would have called in the Army a "profile," have severe arthritis in my right ankle and shoulder, minor arthritis in my left ankle and shoulder, and of course, schizoaffective disorder, which is basically bipolar disorder with minor paranoid schizophrenia thown in.

I'll let you decide whether I'd be more of an asset or problem.

TiggerCCW UK 02-27-2003, 04:30 AM My own background is non military, although I served with the cadet force for ten years as a cadet and instructor, so I have a basic knowledge of tactics and section attacks etc, plus some NBC training. I am a fair shot, 7th in Northern Ireland at my best, and I have worked summer camps in the US as an NRA instructor on rifle and shotgun. I'm also a first aider. I don't know where my career in bar work and restaurants fits in though........

Rainbow Six 02-27-2003, 05:38 AM Well....I doubt if I'd be much of an asset.

In my entire life I've only spent one day handling and firing a gun (a shotgun, and the clay pigeons didn't shoot back!). I don't have any mechanic or medical skills to speak of either.

In fact, about the only possibly useful skills that I could bring to the group are that I can speak some French and German. Throw in a bit of perusasion - I worked retail sales for ten years before I got a proper job.

And I'm also somewhat out of shape due to what we in the UK call 'lager and kebabs'....

evilmike 02-27-2003, 07:23 AM Weird.

I worked in INSCOM as an intercept op for several years, so I'm proficient in Morse and radio operation. Then I switched to the infantry for Gulf War and got stuck in the motor pool afterwards........did an in-service transfer to the Marines and ended back in the infantry again.....and spent a few years running an office *shudders*.....then managed to blackm...er....get back to the real Corps......where I run a platoon.

So I've got maintainance, managerial, clerical, and signal/intercept skills.

Oh yeah, and I can shoot, but that's what Basic's for.....learning to shoot is pretty simple.....

Don't knock yourself, Rainbow, in a T2K game, you'd be one of the most important people in the group....

"Tell the nice village chief we just want to trade for some food and fuel, we'll give him some ammo."

"But we're surrounded."

"Then tell him he can have it all, but it'll cost him at least half his men...plus him."

dawg180 02-27-2003, 09:16 AM Well, I have a grad degree in architecture and have been running construction jobs for about two years now, so I guess we all know who would be checking the bridges to see if the Humvee could cross it safely

I also took military marksmanship in college as an elective (yes, you can actually do that!) plus I go shooting once to twice a month with rifles and pistols, and would consider myself a decent shot.

As for all those odd skills, I seem to have a knack for being able to fix things mechanical by experimentation (hey, where is the tinker skill?) and have the unusual ability of being able to break into just about any car with a coat hanger and two to three minutes of time.

Someone else better cover the languages though, cause I can't seem to learn foreign languages to save my life!

pyro 02-27-2003, 09:57 AM Now that I've thought about it a little bit, I believe that everyone would have some T2K useful skills. And of course those of us that lack the military type skills would probably make up for it with other skills.

I'm a firm believer in "Necessity is the mother of invention" and that people will find innovative and creative ways to overcome seemingly impossible obstacles.

pyro out.

dawg180 02-27-2003, 10:01 AM If anyone is interested, I believe I have a hard copy of "make yourself in T2K" rules laying around somehwere. A friend of mine found it on the internet a couple of years ago, and it had real-world ways of judging what a person's attributes and skill levels would be. I'll see about posting it on my website sometime in the near future.

Grimace 02-27-2003, 10:49 AM Let us know when you do that dawg, as I'd be interested in seeing how I come out. I'm such a jack-of-all-trades that I don't feel I'd have high skills in anything, but I would have LOTS of skills.

orrin_ladd 02-27-2003, 12:23 PM Originally posted by dawg180

If anyone is interested, I believe I have a hard copy of "make yourself in T2K" rules laying around somehwere. A friend of mine found it on the internet a couple of years ago, and it had real-world ways of judging what a person's attributes and skill levels would be. I'll see about posting it on my website sometime in the near future.

I have the 'make yourself in T2k' generation stats. They were created and posted to the web by a friend of mine. He put them on his page, but when he took his page down, he gave all the files to me. Who knows, maybe dawg's files are different than what I've got?

dawg180 02-27-2003, 01:20 PM Probably not...did it use SAT/ACT scores for INT, weight lifting ability for STR, etc? If so it is the same thing. If not, well I'll post it.

orrin_ladd 02-27-2003, 01:50 PM Hey Dawg, that sounds very familiar. I'll have to take a look at it when I get home. I don't have it in front of me.

dawg180 02-27-2003, 02:31 PM Orrin,

You are from the people's democratic republic of California? You are aware you live ina state where it is basically illegal not only to own a gun, but to smoke in public, right?

TR 02-27-2003, 04:54 PM I've always thought the combat skills, melee skills and such could be taught reasonably well to someone with a little time... not saying they would be shooting out to 1000 meters or fighting like Bruce Lee but enough to get by against the unskilled.

It would be the difficult skills agriculutre, carpentry, languages, medicine, etc which I have always thought would be the more difficult skills for someone to pick up. So even those of us with no military backgrounds could become effective with a gun or bare hands... but its those more challenging skills where folks with the abilities would be worth their weight in gold.

Hey Paul, any speciality in your history degree? Military, etc? From one historian to another we'll just chalk it up to curiosity.

Until Later

TR

pmulcahy 02-27-2003, 05:13 PM Originally posted by TR

Hey Paul, any speciality in your history degree? Military, etc? From one historian to another we'll just chalk it up to curiosity.

Until Later

TR

UTSA did not offer any concentrations as such; I sort of ended up "concentrating" in military and Central American history. I also read a whole lot, more than even us history majors get stuck with reading; when I was an SMP Cadet in the National Guard, you could probably bet someone that half the weight in my rucksack on a weekend was books, and you'd win.

Other than an interest in history, the reason I went for a history degree is that during commissioning, the Army doesn't know what to do with you. If you're a male and you do that, you're virtually certain to end up in Infantry, which was what I wanted.

Of course, why I didn't actually get my commission is another interesting story.

orrin_ladd 02-27-2003, 06:04 PM Originally posted by dawg180

Orrin,

You are from the people's democratic republic of California? You are aware you live ina state where it is basically illegal not only to own a gun, but to smoke in public, right?

Nah, you can smoke, just not indoors. Doesn't bother me that much since I'm allergic to cigarrette smoke anyways.

But I'm still waiting for the results of my DNA test, retina scan, blood test, background check, parent's background check, grandparent's background check, family pet background check, complete physical and psych eval so I can pick up my BB gun.

Anyways, back OT, most of my skills would probably be irrelevant in a post nuke world. Though I did get a merit badge in first aid when I was a Boy Scout.

TR 02-27-2003, 07:23 PM Just curious... my course work pretty much boiled down to Military History and Russian History courses by the time I graduated from Metro State...

Then again it was just a degree in History as MSCD didn't exactly allow the specializations.

Until Later

TR

Rochkano 02-27-2003, 08:06 PM I have a rather diverse set of skills, and as you will see, some seem like a strange combination.

I am an airborne (no cherry jokes, my jump got scratched due to the weather) accountant who was a scout platoon leader for just short of a year. I also went through armor officer basic. Spent a lot of time in the woods hunting as a kid (squirrels to deer and everything in between with rifle, shotgun and bow) and am an Eagle Scout. I know my way around a computer and am in decent (not great) shape. I'm a headquarters company commander so I deal with supply, maintenance, personnel administration, and communications on a daily basis (I'm not authorized the staff I really need, so I get involved in more things than a normal headquarters commander). I feel my ability to find/acquire things through legal a variety of methods is rather good (scrounging). this is just what I can think of offhand (so it's probably incoherent - I'll edit it later, if I remember to that is)

El Tee 02-28-2003, 01:15 AM Here's a bit about me, for what it's worth:

In high school I was a Boy Scout (and Explorer) and learned a bit of outdoor skills (well as much as one can when playing pranks on other scouts). I also worked part-time at a company's IT department. This experience (and my dad's gentle coercion) led me to study Computer Science. In college, I worked at a automotive specialty shop where I sold and installed car parts in addition to working on cars (I'm a bit of a gearhead).

I was also in ROTC and went into the Army Reserve after my undergrad degree was completed. I had grandiose dreams of joining the Rangers, but due to my language skills, the powers that be decided I should go into Intel to translate and analyze communications. This worked out well for me, mostly because I wanted to complete my master's program, and to be a Ranger officer I needed a successful command. My career in the Army was relatively short due to medical reasons following an accident. I suppose if things around the globe got much worse I could get back into service.

Regardless, I earned my Master's and more recently a MBA (Finance). I've contemplated continuing my education by getting an Economics-related degree or possibly going to law school. My current job involves working in an office and pushing papers around - the pay is good, but it's ultimately not very rewarding.

I jog a couple times a week and go to the gym on a regular basis so I'm in decent shape. Without using any type of conversion system, I'd guess that I'd have a good amount of computer skills, admin skills, some military-related skills, and language skills. Unfortunately, not a lot of these skills (computer programming?) really translate into great twilight value. I'm decent with a rifle and pretty good with a pistol (or smg). I know a bit about cars, so I could pitch in to work on the Hummvee.

When I see the "you as a t2k character" info, I'll be able to more accurately demonstrate what I could add to the party. I'd think that in a t2k scenario, I'd still be in the Army.

TiggerCCW UK 02-28-2003, 01:56 AM We are a very diverse bunch! I think we could make out ok as a group. I'm intrigued by the system for generating yourself as a T2K character, but I don't know how well it would work for the UK - no SAT's for a start. It would be interesting to see though. Keep the posts coming folks.

zek 02-28-2003, 08:42 AM well i'm 28 i've been in the Infantry for almost 11years, been to airborne school and air assault school.served in the 101st airborne 1992-1996 ,7th ID "Light" Oklahoma National Guard

1996 - ?.

pmulcahy 03-01-2003, 12:45 AM "Light Infantry" -- that's one of those self-contradictory statements!

liverpoolirish 03-01-2003, 06:11 AM Hi,

Well I've got a chemistry degree, a chemistry masters and did a year of a PhD before chucking it in and now I'm on a PGCE programme (i.e. training to be a chemistry teacher). I joined the reserves after university, being a trained combat infantryman (airmobile) (in the Duke of Connachts Own) and field gunner light gun (airmobile) (in the Liverpool Irish), and I'm currently in the commissioning process.

27 and still at college ;-)

Bryn

Quis Separabit?

orrin_ladd 03-01-2003, 12:36 PM Heckmac's Create yourself as a T2k character here:

http://geocities.com/orrin_ladd/SELF.html

have fun!

Aaron 03-02-2003, 02:43 AM OK, I used Orrins create yourself site, here what I came up with

STR 7

AGL 5 (I was going to give myself a 4 but I did that spinny round thing and didn't fall on my butt so...)

CON 5-6 (I don't get sick much, I'm overweight but lift weights, run and swim about 4-8 hours a week)

INT 6-7 (I'm guessing here, I don't really remember my SAT scores, its been almost 20 years)

EDU 6 (2 AA degrees plus I read lots of history and other stuff, plus I have to take 20+ hours of CE every year for work)

CHA 5 (My dog likes me)

Wildland firefighting 6 (worked many years as a wildland firefighter)

Structure firefighting 5 (and almost as many years as a structure firefighter)

Hazardous materials control 4 (I'm part of a hazardous materials team)

Medical 5 (I was a paramedic)

Civil engineer 2 (training for fire, plus home owner type repairs)

Chemistry 2 (college, plus hazmat and fire behavior classes)

Biology 2 (college, plus EMT and paramedic classes)

Geology 1 (college, plus hobby)

History 2 (college, plus hobby)

Meteorology 2 (I take weather readings and interpret for wildland firefighting and prescribed burning)

Computer 3 (I can get the computer to do stuff that impresses other computer illiterates without resorting to a mallet)

Mechanic 2 (I can usually put the car back together when I take it apart)

Electronics 1 (My hair doesn't look like Don Kings when I rewire stuff)

Gunsmith 1 (See mechanic but replace car with gun)

Smallarms 3 (I've taken some shooting classes and have gone shooting with people who shoot in IPSC matches and they say I'm ok)

Melee combat (armed) 2 (I used to do sword fighting stuff, I won sometimes)

Melee combat (unarmed) 2 (No real training but I'm a big guy, "Hulk smash")

Hunting bow 2 (I've taken some archery classes and hit the target most of the time)

Thrown weapon 1 (I can hit the broadside of a barn, but that's about it)

Forward observer 3 (I talk Airtankers and helicopters to their targets on wildland fires)

Mountaineering 1 (rope rescue training)

Swimming 5 (I swim a lot and worked as a lifeguard many moons ago)

Snow skiing 2 (I used to be ok but haven't skied in 10 years)

Stealth 1 (I'm quiet but will start laughing at inopportune times, Ninja is not an employment option for me and hide and seek was not a favorite childhood game)

SCUBA 2 (I've played with SCUBA a few times and use SCBA at work (firefighter airpacks), but I don't know didly about dive charts)

Instruction 3 (I often provide training at work)

Leadership 2 (I'm supposedly a supervisor)

Navigation 3 (I use map and compass at work)

Foraging 1 (Boy scouts, taught me not to eat yellow snow)

Spanish 1 (Years and years of Spanish classes, obviously it stuck)

Persuasion 2 (I occasionally win an argument, just not with my wife)

Small boat 2 (I've used sail and motor boats, I didn't sink)

Tracked vehicle 1 (I drove a bull dozer once and used to play a lot of Battle zone)

Wheeled vehicle 5 (I commute in the SF bay area, occasionally get my Landcruiser off road, drive fire engines, water tenders, ambulances, crash trucks and just about any thing else with wheels you might see at a fire, I even leave most of the teeth on the gears of split manual transmissions)

This was kind of fun, thanks for the do it yourself character generator.

Ed the Coastie 03-02-2003, 03:33 AM OK...here I go...with a caveat that my signature line isn't kidding

Non-Military: passably competent in Spanish and Sioux, with a smattering of French, German, and Russian..."retired" computer hacker...B.Sc. in Electrical Engineering, with a minor in Military Science (ROTC)...experienced horseman and animal handler...former EMT...civilian single-engine pilot...trained airship pilot (don't ask)...trained "windjammer" sailor...halfway decent scrounger...reasonably competent cook...some martial arts training

Coast Guard (6 years): dual-rated as Gunners Mate and Fire Control Technician...cross-trained (but not rated) Damage Controlman...Expert M-16, Pistol, and Shotgun...qualified 41' UTB Small Boat Crewman, Engineer, and Coxswain

Army National Guard (13 years): graduate of Air Assault, Airborne, and Ranger schools...graduate of Basic Armor Officer's Course...platoon leader (mechanized infantry platoon, armored cavalry scout platoon)...company commander (armored cavalry, light armor)

Now that I'm out of uniform, I'm beginning to do a pretty good impersonation of a career civilian -- my hair is growing longer, and I am starting to develop a noticable stomach despite a regular exercise regimen. For the time being, I am working full-time in a call center and do desktop publishing as a sideline...but a friend (a former Military Intelligence sergeant) and I are in the process of using our Veterans' Benefits to start a small business.

If somebody does manage to locate the "create yourself as a T2K character" info, it might be interesting to plug myself into it. Of course, I would have to equip myself with my favorite weapon: an M1911A1 pistol.

Grimace 03-02-2003, 03:07 PM I had enough time to do the Attributes for myself, so I'll post those. Skills will have to come later. All in all, it seems I'm quite average save for my constitution.

Strength: 6

Agility: 5

Constitution: 7

Intelligence: 6

Education: 5

Charisma: 5

I started working on my skills, but I think I'm going to have to really sit down and think about everything before I post them. All in all, I think I'm going to have a buttload of skills, but nothing very high in them, as I hop from job to job (see my custom line above my avatar). Hopefully I can do that later today or tomorrow.

I'm sure you're all so interested to see how mediocre I'd be.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Administrator

graebarde 03-15-2003, 09:29 PM While I'm one of the 'old farts' on the list I think I could contribute somethings to the group. I was in the Army for 12 years, five in the Infantry with two 'combat' tours, though the second wasn't actually considered one. Then into Logistics, mostly transportation, but more than a bit on the planning side of things.

I went throught the OLD infantry training of the late 60's where the grunt was trained on many things in more detail than they are today, to include first aid that is more than splinting a leg, and simple demolitions, booby traps, and mines. And took the Ranger course.

Was EMT trained after I got out, but went to college and have a BS in Agriculture (Production Agronomy) [thats field crops to the unlearned]. Tech school trained mechanic before I went into the southeast asia wargames, and can do welding and hot iron blacksmithing {which I learned from my uncle).

Raised on a diversified farm so have experience with crops and livestock. As a small holder we did most everything at home, from plumbing, carpentry, masonery, mechanics, butchering, canning, meat preservation (smoking). Can hitch and drive a team, or ride. Not a ferrier, but know how to take care of horses, cattle, and other livestock. While not a green thumb, enjoy the garden and have had several large ones that put food on the table for a year at a time. And we learned to scrounge the junk piles.

I am not a marksman by anymeans, but have hunted for food. Quit the sport hunting when I came back from Asia.

Can setup and operate a still if necessary, or build a crusher to extract oil from seeds like soybeans or sunflowers.

Will attempt to help in what ever area is needed. And if nothing else I am a pretty darn good cook, either in the kitchen or the camp, for which I have the belly to prove it.

MJGRIFF 03-16-2003, 08:11 AM OK I pick Graebarde for my track !!!!!! Heck if he can cook and make fuel that's pretty much all I need, and on down time I can learn blacksmithing!!!

Sua Sponte

Griff

TR 03-16-2003, 12:32 PM OK I pick Graebarde for my track!!!

Oh geez now it's like were picking teams for baseball (etc)...

Here's something to consider to spice things up... based on where you live now are you in a impact crater from a nuke or one of the many trying to push back Soviet/Cuban/Mexican invaders... or something else?

Here in Colorado no real nuke impacts in my imemdiate vicinity, Colorado Springs/Punkin Center is a long ways off and the prevailing winds blow to Kansas...

The only real problems are drought conditions (nothing new), ocassional marauders and New America for awhile until Milgov comes to visit...

Until Later

TR

MJGRIFF 03-16-2003, 01:22 PM Well outside of hordes of Redneck Marauders, a drought that will make the whole state go "POOF" one day, & irradiated winds from Atlanta.....not bad! Ok, there is one problem, because of the current "crisis" Georgia Football has been cancelled

But it wouldn't matter because in the Canon my unit is deployed to Iran, and there's no telling when we're supposed to finally come home.

Sua Sponte

Griff

MJGRIFF 03-16-2003, 01:24 PM Oh forgot to mention. TR you're just jealous because I called him first!!!!

Sua Sponte

Griff

TR 03-16-2003, 01:33 PM TR you're just jealous because I called him first!!!!

Yep that's me!

I always wished the "Howling Wilderness" suppliment had been re-done and re-published with more information. As helpfull as it was to know what was going on around the country it generally was only a few paragraphs in length (or less) for each state.

Heck, there could have been a whole series of adventures done with a "Travelling Across America" theme... putting right what was once wrong... etc. Here in Colorado they were reasonably kind, though I had to modify things... explain what happened to New America in the interim before Milgov showed up (i.e. my Colorado Twilight books). As well as describing the failed nuclear strike on Colorado Springs/NORAD (Cheyenne Mountain).

Now that I think about you could have done whole regional guides or state guides with detailed information on that particular region and how it relates to the whole of the country... ala Shadowrun's series of Native America Lands (etc) series of sourcebooks. That would have been something, hopefully FarFuture is taking suggestions for when they re-print everything...

Until Later

TR

pmulcahy 03-16-2003, 06:33 PM Originally posted by TR

Here's something to consider to spice things up... based on where you live now are you in a impact crater from a nuke or one of the many trying to push back Soviet/Cuban/Mexican invaders... or something else?

<snip>

Until Later

TR

Well, since I'm in San Antonio about 6 miles from Lackland AFB as the crow flies, I would be having fun and games with Soviet Division Cuba in T2K...

Grimace 03-16-2003, 06:38 PM I'd be a partisan fighting against the Soviets occupying Juneau, Alaska in Twilight. Once that was over, and the Americans were back here, I'd be free to take the fight to those Rooskies.

graebarde 03-16-2003, 10:07 PM hummmmmmmm well in 96-2000 I was in a small town up the coast from Corpus Christi. Outside the blast area and presumably out of the fall out zone. I KNOW if I survived the blast I would be out of the immediate area asap, headed north from the coast.

For the past year I lived in Beeville TX... and had I been there I would be envolved in making the life of the Division Cuba/Mexican Peoples Army as unhealthy as possible.

I now reside in the sw Mizzura area, and south of the Whitman missle fields. Not too sure of the fallout in the area, but no attack targets that Im aware of outside a stray hitting.

Rainbow Six 03-17-2003, 04:57 AM I'm about fifteen miles north of Edinburgh and about three miles from what used to be the UK's third biggest Naval base before it closed down in the early nineties, so I reckon my house would be radioactive rubble.

Then again, at the time that War started in Europe, I would have been in my mid twenties, unmarried, and physically fit (well, reasonably so...) so I might have been conscripted before things went boom, which would put me pretty much anywhere that the British Army might be.

TiggerCCW UK 03-17-2003, 06:08 AM As far as the Twilight history goes, I'd be living in non radioactive rubble, but engaged in a civil war with southern Ireland - theres a cheerful thought for St Patricks day

OT I was in Edinburgh for a couple of weeks recently Rainbow 6 - had a great time. Some very good bars, especially the Dome, the Cafe Royal and the Worlds End. Not best pleased with The Tass though - the owner has a real problem with the Irish, thinks we should all be sent to the Falklands for some reason.

Rainbow Six 03-17-2003, 06:41 AM OT - Tigger, Happy St Patrick's Day - hope you're having a good one!

Glad to hear that you had a good time on the whole in Edinburgh - can certainly testify to the ambience of the Cafe Royal!

dawg180 03-17-2003, 08:49 AM Well, as to the "what would you be doing if the world ended" question, if the timeleine was correct I would have been at my parent's house during the summers or down at college. My parents live about a mile from Fermi National Accelator Laboratoryk, which is a big govt. research center, and school was University of Illinois in Champaign, which is home to the National Center of Supercomputing Applications, i.e. the folks who develop software for the military and specifcally for ICBM launch coordination.

So I would have been one of the lucky ones in that my meager life would have most likely ended in a few glorious milliseconds of bright light while the rest of you had to survive after the holocaust- ha ha, suckers!

Assuming it was nowadays, I would be helping defend my friend's liquor store, as it would be worth more than Fort Knox!

Dawg

MSGT MULDOON 03-27-2003, 09:07 AM The answers to the 2 part question:

1) Me as a PC--- hmmm..

STR 8 or so (Im strong but not in shape)

CON 4 or so (I dont get sick but Im nto in good shape)

AGL 4 (Im athletic when it comes to some things)

INT 5 (Im average)

CHR 7 (I can talk my way out of fights)

EDU 5 (I graduated HS and some college)

As far as skills -- well my dad was a mechanic for 45 years so I picked up SOME stuff, I used to race ATVs and Class 5 buggies in the desert so I can drive. I can use a PC - somewhat. I grew up fishing and camping. Im a cop so I can bluff my way into and out of things. I can shoot - really well. My observation is average and I knwo enough martial arts to get me in trouble. Ive been a manager and salesperson. I speak Spanish fluently and know a little German, Italian and a smidgen of Vietnamesse.

2) In the twilight war I would have been either in the service or would have been in teh SF Bay Area as a Federal cop so its was a toss up!!

Harold Mayo 03-31-2003, 10:31 AM Pretty cool. I didn't come out half bad using the conversion thingie:

STR 6

AGI 6

CON 6

INT 10

EDU 8

CHA 3 (can't have everything, I guess)

Mining Engineering-6

Business Management-6

Demolitions-4

Pistol-6

Rifle-7

Unarmed Combat-5

Geology-2

Drive Automobile-6

And a whole bunch of things from levels 1 to 3. I need to work on increasing that charisma score, though.

Chuck Mandus 04-01-2003, 11:14 AM Let's see, living in the Pittsburgh area, I would most likely be floating around among the refugee population to the north of me or hiding out somewhere in the Pittsburgh metro area with my .22LR rifle and a hodge-podge of radio gear. Being an amateur radio operator, hopefully that would make me more employable by one of the militias in Westmorland County or the Washington Militia. The downside is that some leader who goes by the name "Whitey" will be in my area and cause a huge ruckus. I guess it could be worse, at least Pittsburgh wasn't nuked so radiation isn't much of a concern although there are a lot of other nasty things that can kill you as well.

Me as a character, I did one a few years back, I'll have to look it up and revise it.

Eric..... 04-01-2003, 09:19 PM At the risk of being overly self-indulgent or egotistical, this is pretty accurate according to the guidelines. Like most people, I've got a lot of low level skills and a few pretty good ones. However, most would be of minimal value ATSHTF.

I dunno, do you need an entertainer/teacher/counsellor/cook in your cantonment? North Central PA might be a good place to hide out, if the folks exiting Philly don't filter this far north and west and kick us out.

Eric "Flatpick" Bergy

STR: 6

AGL: 6

CON: 5

INT: 7

EDU:8

CHA:7

BS in Computer Science / Mathematics,

minors in Business and Music

BMMT in Music Therapy, Internship in Mental Health Facility

Music Education Intern, Level I Educational Certificate

Middle School Choral / General Music Teacher

Experience as Retail Salesman, Tree Farmer, Forklift Operator, Carpenter, Cook, Waiter, Lifeguard, Professional Rescuer, CPR / First Aid Instructor

Professional Musician, Soundman, DJ Entertainer, Talent Coordinator. Computer Programmer in Distribution Management / Inventory Control, Computer Operator in Production, Retail, and Inventory

Clinical Music Therapist, Eldercare Provider, Childcare Provider

Music Educator, Special Event Coordinator

Computer:3

Persuasion: 4

Leadership: 4

Instruction:4

Music: 7 (Singing, Guitar, Keyboards, Music Theory and History)

Willpower / Self-Discipline:5

Psychology:3

Act /Bluff:3

Cooking:4

Spanish: 3

German: 1

Italian:1

French:2

History:4

Rifle: 3

Pistol: 2

Observation:3

Martial Arts U/A:3

Archery:2

Forage:2

Scrounge:3

Swimming:4

Bicycling:4

Drive Car:4

Medical:2

Regards,

Eric....................

Rusty 04-02-2003, 06:21 AM do you american players consider fighting skill rifle 3 as a low?

I live in finland, the last time i fired assault rifle was 2 years ago when in training for military reserve. (the finnish defence forces), since that about 20 bullets with 9mmP autoloader, 20 bullets with .50AE autoloader and a couple of nights with shotgun in the forest looking for birds, i can shoot to 150m with AR a good set of holes in 20 cm diameter, but still i consider mt fighting skills to be 1 or 2.

So do you guys really play with guns everyday (like seen on exellent Bowling for Columbine document)?

The idea of entertainer/teacher/conselor/cook playing everyday with guns gives me creeps

Sincerely: Matti Rustanius

graebarde 04-02-2003, 10:48 AM Rusty,

Do NOT beleive EVERYTHING you see on the boob tube. THought there are a significant number of gun owners and enthusisits in the USA, and shooting is a sport here, NOT everyone packs all the time. There are areas of the US where it is more prevelant, but trust me the majority of them a responsible citizens, not the Columbine kids.

dawg180 04-02-2003, 01:36 PM Rusty,

Just for a baseline, I own two pistols and two target rifles, and go shooting about once a month, firing maybe 200-300 rounds during that sessions- all on an indoor range. Here in Illinois you can not even carry a gun on your person legally unless it is hunting season (which I believe is two weeks long), and then only in certain areas, and typically only long guns like bolt-action rifles or limited capacity shotguns depending on local ordinances. In fact, ownership of a handgun is illegal in the City of Chicago, and I think long arms are illegal too, or at least have to be locked up at all times. The Bureau of Justice estimates about one in seven Americans owns a firearm, though one can assume less than that actually shoot them regularly (My dad owns a lever action rifle, but he has no fired it in almost 30 years).

Unfortunately, american television and movies gives the impression every bad guy is running around with an Uzi, and this is most certainly not the truth. To be honest, most the majority of weapons are owned by theose who live in rural or semi-rural areas where you actually would use them as a tool. I believe they are also more prevalent in the southern half of the U.S., though I have not seen any recent statistical information on this (the reasons of which would take too long to explain here)

Also realize that Michael Moore, who directed Bowling for Columbine has something of a bias against guns (and war in general if you happened to watch the oscars recently)

Actually, we should probably start this as a separate thread....

Dawg

dawg180 04-02-2003, 01:43 PM But I digress....back to the question at hand

To answer the question at hand, a skill level of 3 in rifle is what I would consider myself to have.

I can routinely hit a 1" target at 50 yards with a 3 power scope when laying down for a point of reference. About 4 years ago I shot a 31/40 my first time out in qualification with an M16 (first time ever shooting a firearm), which I consider to be average for a regular infantry soldier.

If anyone would like to argue that I have a lower (or higher) skill, please feel free to comment!

Dawg

Harold Mayo 04-02-2003, 04:45 PM Rusty:

I'm not a professional soldier at all (and most professional solders can't claim good marksmanship, anyway). I am a mining engineer with an additional graduate business degree. I manage a stone quarry. I DO shoot practically every day. I rarely go more than two days in a row without shooting. I shoot handguns, mostly, but also semi-auto rifles and bolt rifles with shotguns thrown in on occasion. With bolt rifles I can consistently outshoot the majority of police SWAT guys that I shoot against in "sniper" competitions and I am ok with handguns, being more capable than AT LEAST 95% of the people that I ever encounter who shoot competitively.

Creepy? I wouldn't think so, but I guess that it's all in how you look at things.

Bowling for Columbine as an excellent documentary? I must disagree. Michael Moore's "documentary" is a work of fiction, pure and simple. It is FAR more fictitious than our president (legally elected, I might add) or our war with Iraq. If you dig just a little, you'll find that Michael Moore is as full of s**t as he appears to be.

TiggerCCW UK 04-03-2003, 05:04 AM I must agree with our American colleagues, the media and film industry have portrayed them all as a race of gun toting nutters. Having worked as an NRA coach in PA and NH I can testify that while gun ownership is fairly prevalent in rural areas, you don't see Uzis everywhere.

On the other hand if Americans are so quick to point out that they have been shown in a bad light by the media, why do they believe everything they see and hear about Northern Ireland? On my last trip to the US I was asked by an otherwise apparently intelligent man in his mid thirties did we have ice cream or coffee in NI. I thought he was having a laugh at first but realised that he was completely serious!! We do not live in a land of white thatched cottages and we do not live in a perpetual state of war with our neighbours - its a great country and I think you should all come and visit it.

dawg180 04-03-2003, 08:44 AM What, you aren't a country of short people in green suits with a pot of gold??? I'm disappointed!

You know, it is amazing how little most people know about the rest of the world, much less their own country. Did you know 17% of american high schoolers cannot even find the U.S. on a map??? Or as said on the Simpsons episode I saw last night:

"I know how to read a globe, Lisa! There is the country of Argentina, and there is the country of Randy McNally..." - Bart Simpson

Dawg

pyro 04-03-2003, 10:56 AM Rusty,

Allow me to chime in here also. In my real life I'm a chemist and a volunteer firefighter in Central Utah. I own two rifles, a shotgun and pistol. I shoot, depending on how busy I am, once a week to once a month.

My skills are average in that I hit what I'm aiming at most of the time. I don't shoot competetively.

Now about half of my firefighters are concealed carry permit holders and they carry routinely and I don't worry about if they are packing or not. (unless they are on an attack team then I insist that they leave their pieces in the rig. It is very dangerous to carry a firearm into a structure fire for obvious reasons.)

As a side note I also shoot fireworks semi-professionally and I hold a Pyrotechnician's license. Hence my screen name.

Pryo out.

liverpoolirish 04-03-2003, 01:39 PM Like the time an American asked a young comedian whether they were from north or south Ireland, and being from Mayo they replied they were from the West, leaving a very confused Yank....

Bryn

(Marvelling that last year I saw an ad on CNN with dancing Oirishmen living in a thatched cottage somewhere in Munster....)

graebarde 04-03-2003, 10:54 PM "its a great country and I think you should all come and visit it."

Ahhhhh is the ticket in the mail? )

Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Administrator

TiggerCCW UK 04-04-2003, 01:57 AM If I could afford the tickets they would be. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of money to be made in my chosen career - professional catcher of 'the faerie folk'

In all seriousness, if any of you get the chance to come this way, do - its a great place.

Harold Mayo 04-04-2003, 08:04 AM Things that I know about Ireland:

1. Everyone eats potatoes

2. Everyone drinks excessively

3. If you don't pay your taxes, the IRA blows you up instead of auditing you like they do here in the US

4. More fairies per capita than San Francisco

5. No snakes

6. I like the word "shillelagh"

7. All of their music sounds like Enya

8. Everyone wears kilts

9. Everyone smells good because of the green and white soap that they use. They've FINALLY got another scent in blue and white soap, too.

10. Women with Irish accents are hot

That's about all I know about Ireland.

S.Kruger 04-04-2003, 07:55 PM Originally posted by Harold Mayo

10. Women with Irish accents are hot

[/B]

Oh god yes.

TiggerCCW UK 04-05-2003, 02:50 AM I know they are - why do you think I came home from the US?

On a side note Graebarde, I heard on the news last night that Dubya Bush is coming over next week for a visit. He didn't ask me for a ticket

graebarde 04-06-2003, 07:38 PM "On a side note Graebarde, I heard on the news last night that Dubya Bush is coming over next week for a visit. He didn't ask me for a ticket"

Tigg THATS why I need someone to send me a ticket.. I have to PAY for HIS and his enteroughe ... ah group.. LOL

TiggerCCW UK 04-07-2003, 05:29 AM And if he brings as many as Clinton did it'll be a hell of a group. On a side note, hopefully the Secret Service will have been briefed to be a bit more sensitive this time. According to rumour during the first Clinton visit a Secret Service agent had his jaw broken by an RUC officer for making some very insensitive remarks about terrorism here - to an officer who had lost both his father and brother to terrorists.

pmulcahy 04-08-2003, 01:47 AM All I know about Ireland is that I got the Irish complexion from my father's side of the family, which means that I burn to a crisp in 15 minutes. I lived in Hawaii for 5 years when I was a teenager and never got a tan!

Rusty 04-15-2003, 09:15 AM sorry, for my late reply, i've been afk for almost 1 month now. The question was just to enlighten my knowledge about the usage of firearms in US, because 99% of the info coming to me is politically colored, either pro or con US. I use this info on my coming t2k game on US, thanks for help.

I can shoot 12/12 bullets on man sized target from 150 meters, and i consider myself a somewhat averagely skilled grunt. It's just the thing that automatic weapons are really a taboo in Finland, if you are lucky you can try LMG or HMG(or even a LAW if you are really lucky) when in army, but most of us use AK clone, shooting 200-800 bullets in year most on semiauto.

The idea of someone packing a gun in civil is out of question. I've been in private security firm for 1 years now and i have seen 3 knives and 1 screwdriver.

dawg180 04-15-2003, 10:17 AM DOn't misunderstand, fully automatic weapons are illegal in the U.S. except under VERy special circumstanaces, mostly weapons collectors who have a special license. With the exception of one event in the State of Tenessee, there is not even anywhere you could fire an automatic weapon without getting arrested.

Even though civilians can own M16s and AK-47s, they are "civilianized" semiauto only versions, and usually have been manufactured ina way to make it very difficult to convert.

Dawg

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 04:02 AM Converting weapons from semiauto to auto. I can remember hearing how that could be done to an SLR with a match. On a side note a number of semiauto to auto conversions have shown up during the troubles here. I can remember seeing one in a book where an M1911A1 was converted into a machine pistol.

dawg180 04-16-2003, 08:37 AM To be honest, quite a few weapons can be converted to full auto (not selectable of course) if you understand the mechanics o fhow their trigger mehcanism operates (which I will not go into here- we'll keep this nice and legal) I remeber reading that for a while a lot of street gangs in LA were using modified Glocks that were full auto- all you needed was a small piece of sheet metal and a tool to grind away some plastic on the back.

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 09:26 AM Have we a gunsmith for the party? I know that the Tec-9 was meant to be very easy to convert to full auto, and I've heard the same about the AR-15

dawg180 04-16-2003, 10:15 AM Preban M16s are a peice of cake to convert to full auto- all you have to do is install the proper sear. I have some minor abilities in gunsmithing, at least enough to replace broken springs, extractors, install target triggers, etc. Of course, if you want a nice button-rifled barrel from a blank, that is a bit beond my abilities...

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 01:07 PM We're getting more well rounded by the minute! We've got medics, a demo's expert, a gunsmith, shooters, drivers. Anyone any good on heavy weapons?

El Tee 04-16-2003, 01:57 PM As I mentioned in my earlier post, I'd be of some use in helping wrench on a broken vehicle, or working on the electronics if necessary. My skills with computers or analysis on stocks, bonds and legal matters would likely not come in handy at all.

A gunsmith would be imminently valuable, so we could have an expert to work with all the "toys" we find along the way.

Depending on where my wife would be, I suppose she could be of some use, as she was/is a trained paramedic. She's also a decent shot with a pistol, and as she was raised a military brat, it's possible she would have gone into the military as well.

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 02:27 PM Are there any more fighting spouse's out there? My own wife was an archery instructor in the States at the same time as I was teaching shooting out there, and she's a first aider.

On a side note, does antone know about the availability of buses in the post apocalyptic world - its looking like we might need one to fit us all in

MJGRIFF 04-16-2003, 03:53 PM I've got quite a bit of experience in heavy weapons. I was a 90mm gunner for a while, I've worked with TOWs, 25mm Bushmasters, Mark 19s, Mortars, M2 .50s, ofcourse my "baby" the M203, RPGs, Dragons (which suck!!!!), Carl Gustav RR, and bit more. So if y'all need a Hvy. Wpns. fella, I can help ya'.

I also have some Armorer expierince, but I no Gunsmith.

Sua Sponte

Griff

El Tee 04-16-2003, 04:47 PM Originally posted by MJGRIFF

I've got quite a bit of experience in heavy weapons. I was a 90mm gunner for a while, I've worked with TOWs, 25mm Bushmasters, Mark 19s, Mortars, M2 .50s, ofcourse my "baby" the M203, RPGs, Dragons (which suck!!!!), Carl Gustav RR, and bit more. So if y'all need a Hvy. Wpns. fella, I can help ya'.

I also have some Armorer expierince, but I no Gunsmith.

Sua Sponte

Griff

Alright, Griff's in my squad.

Based on this and what else I know about him, he'd be a good man to have around.

Speaking of "unit" composition, who would be the CO, officers, NCOs?

I find it hard to believe that as a "lowly" First Lieutenant, I'd be the ranking officer, but I've had t2k campaigns where there were nothing but NCOs.

This thread is developing quite nicely, I might add. I hadn't been on the forums in awhile and am just catching up on my posts.

El Tee 04-16-2003, 04:51 PM In t2k, I'd probably either be in Europe or Korea, more likely the latter due to my language skills. Were I stateside, I'd be part of the forces fighting the Mexican Army out west.

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 04:53 PM As far as rank goes, I only ever made lance jack in the cadets. I always pictured myself as the long serving low ranking cynic who's seen it all.

TiggerCCW UK 04-16-2003, 04:55 PM I was also permanently the rear guard of my section - I just seemed to master the art of moving backwards silently.

dawg180 04-16-2003, 04:58 PM MJGRIFF,

Why do Dragons suck? I have heard the MK19 is by far the coolest weapon in the world to fire (well, at least according to the 2 marines and one army friend I have).

Webstral 04-16-2003, 05:51 PM Lots of useful skills out there! It seems like we would do reasonably well, provided that b***h Fate didn't mess with us too badly.

I was a combat engineer before Officer Candidate School, and MI thereafter. I'm not sure how useful the latter would be, although a party always needs a guy who's fixated on gathering information. Combat engineering would probably pay my way, though.

I've also been a carpenter, and I've got a library on alternate energy and building materials. How much of it I could remember in the field is anyone's guess. Still, building rammed earth structures (70% sand, 30% clay is the ideal mix) is hardly rocket science. When concrete for fortifications grows scarce, rammed earth would make a good substitute. And it's just fine for dwellings in places where the ground doesn't freeze. You can make an S-rotor windmill from a 55-gallon drum cut in half.

I've spent a fair amount of time as cadre at Huachuca, so could probably do the drill sergeant thing in a pinch. This would be more valuable to a community than a party, but the party might need to pay its way in a community some day.

You guys who have done gardening should keep those skills in mind. With metal tools and knowledge of composting, you're way ahead of the average farmer in the Dark Ages. Just knowing that nitrogen is often the most limiting factor in plant growth can make the difference between a good harvest and a poor one.

Who's taken some courses on basic nutrition? Don't laugh. Knowing what kinds of food people need to eat would be hugely valuable in T2k. Americans eat like crap. In the post-nuke world, it will only get worse. There will be fewer Twinkies around, but diets are likely to get very monotonous. This will badly affect people's energy levels and mental abilities. A party that eats well survives, and I don't just mean eating quantities. The same can be said of a community.

Now that I think about it, I'd be a mixed blessing for a party. I'd always be agitating to settle down somewhere and make a go of it with a community. Characters who listened to me probably wouldn't get to Germany and make the boat at Bremerhaven. Still, there's nothing wrong with going local so long as the pay is decent and the food is hot, eh? And Krakow always needs the troops.

Webstral

El Tee 04-16-2003, 07:19 PM Based on the "yourself as a character" web page, with some considerations based on opinion

STR - 6 - I can hold a 65 lb. dumbbell out to one side for awhile, usually work out with the 30 to 35 lb. free weights

AGL - 6 - Played high school football, baseball and track; played some college baseball for a year before I just didn't have time for it

CON - 7 - rarely get sick, never had a serious disease, work out regularly each week (jogging, cardio & free weights)

INT - 8 - Highest score was 1460 on SAT, received above 700 on SAT2/acheivements

EDU - 8 - BS in Computer Science, work on MS in Computer Science, MBA

CHA - 7 - Personable, talk to others constantly (part of my job), frequently have to speak at meetings, conferences and seminars.

Skills:

Admin/Legal - 5 (military experience, job)

Armed Martial Arts - 1 (military)

Biology - 1 (college courses)

Business - 7 (college, current job)

Carpenter - 2 (assemble furniture around the house, build some items myself)

Chemistry - 1 (college)

Cooking - 4

Computer - 7 (college, current job, some military)

Cryptography - 3 (military)

Dance - 1 (college, occasional social outing)

Fishing - 2 (recreational activity)

Foraging - 2 (boy scouts mostly, some camping)

Grenade Launcher - 1 (military)

Ground Vehicle (Tracked) - 1 (military)

Ground Vehicle (Wheeled) - 6 (every day in commute, SCCA member as well)

Instruction - 4 (military, job)

Interrogation - 4 (military, job)

Language (Chinese) - 8 (second language, military)

Language (English) - 10 (Who needs English? I'm never going to England!)

Language (Spanish) - 2 (Four years of Spanish in high school, including AP)

Leadership - 4 (military, job)

Mechanic - 2 (worked on cars in college, can do most maintenance on our cars @ brother-in-law's shop)

Music (Piano) - 3 (have played since I was a child; still play for relaxation and for social gatherings)

Observation - 3

Persuasion - 5

Physics - 1 (college)

Psychology - 3 (college. job)

Research - 4 (job)

Scrounging - 2

Small Arms (Rifle) - 4 (military)

Small Arms (Pistol) - 4 (military, target shooting)

Swimming - 3

Tactics - 3

Thrown Weapon - 3

Unarmed Martial Arts - 3

I'd think some of the skills would be higher or lower depending on what happened during the course of the war, but I tried to be as fair as possible.

A lot of the skills are more or less worthless in t2k, but I have a good balance of skills, IMO. I'll update the list if I can think of anything new or if I have any changes that would be pertinent.

ReHerakhte 04-16-2003, 11:32 PM Hmm, I've missed putting my 50cents worth in regards to heavy weapons but I'll barge right along anyway...

Looks like I might end up partnering with MJGRIFF for a bit of the time as I trained up on the Carl Gustav recoilless & LAW rockets as well as doing Sustained Fire Machine Gun, a very tiny bit of mortar work and the usual M79, M203, Claymore, hand grenades stuff. Had some training in laying, searching & removing mines and laying out minefields. Also done some training on the M1919 and M2 MGs from my time in armoured recce (with M113s) and some basic work on the Scorpion 76mm gun (as used, turret and all, on Aussie M113s for fire support).

However, a lot of my time was spent in grunt work and light vehicle/foot recce work but includes mech infantry and urban warfare operations.

As for civilian skills, I work in a laboratory doing analysis on mining companies samples so I get a lot of dangerous goods work regarding chemicals and soil samples (e.g. quarantine work, chemical protective uniforms, bulk chemical handling, poisonous goods - I use a bit of cyanide! - and so on). Plus through the industry I got some very, very basic familarity with civvy explosives. I'm a bit of an armoured vehicle freak so I might come in useful for identifying the lumbering metal hulk shortly before it grinds me to paste. And on top of that I'm a bit of a military weapons freak but I suspect that a few others have that position already filled -- not mentioning anyone in particular TR!

Done some reloading for my own rifles, got the typical first aid training from the army and through work.

Done a bit of small boats stuff (about 8 years ago though) and a lot of rock climbing & caving for hobbies.

I have relatives involved in farming so I have a little bit of animal handling skill (I can tell what kind of animal just bit me!)

Cheers,

Kevin.

MJGRIFF 04-17-2003, 03:55 PM All right another Grunt Scout!!! I'm willin' and able to team up with Big R, we've got a similiar background (and he probably knows a few hot Aussie ladies!!! ) except for the Civvy occupation, all my Chem & Bio stuff was through the Service, but I used to be the NBC NCO for awhile, and I've been in the Live Chamber a couple of times (not the greatest days of my life I tell ya' ).

Sua Sponte

Griff

MJGRIFF 04-17-2003, 04:04 PM To Dawg 180- The Dragons suck for the simple reasons of

1: They are heavy as hell

2: They often go 'haywire' at the slightest twitch

3: They don't have decent range

4: They are heavy as hell

5: They are slow as hell

6: They have a HUGE signiture when fired

7: They don't have decent "punch"

8:Oh did I mention, for all those reasons above, they're HEAVY AS HELL!!!!

Now the Mark 19.....ahhhh.....how sweet it is!!!

Yes it is a very 'choice' weapon system, and best of all I don't have to 'hump' it!!!!

Sua Sponte

Griff

TiggerCCW UK 04-21-2003, 04:54 AM So you're saying that the Dragon is heavy?

Anyone got any alternatives to the Dragon?

pmulcahy 04-21-2003, 05:03 AM I have mixed feelings about the Dragon.

1) They are heavy -- I've had to hump them, including in hot weather with a flu, fever, over terrain, with MOPP gear on. (Of course, this was a properly weighted Dragon dummy, but the weight is the same).

2) The controls are twitchy, and unintentional grounding is a big problem.

3) I've seen a live one bounce off an old M-48 tank used as a target.

4) The sight's lenses have no coating to prevent shine in the sun, thus alerting the enemy to your presence.

But...

5) I saw one trash an Iraqi BMP-1 in northern Kuwait, shot by one of 2nd squad's gunners.

Therefore, mixed feelings. And the Javelin is heavier, I believe.

TiggerCCW UK 04-21-2003, 05:14 AM Is the Javelin a lot more effective than The Dragon? If it is it could be well worth the weight, but on the other hand, are we going to run into much in the way of heavy armour in WW3 Poland? I don't think I ever carried anything heavier than a LAW when I was a player, and in all my campaigns I have very few vehicles rolling about anyway.

MJGRIFF 04-26-2003, 01:27 PM Yes the JAVELIN is better weapon than the Dragon, by about a factor of ten, and even then I might be a little conservative. And it does wieght more, but is the weapon system hits what it's supposed to, and kills what it's supposed to, and within my carrying capabilities, then yup', I'll hump that bugger!!!! Well that is until I can steal a vechile and stow it!!!

Sua Sponte

Griff

El Tee 04-28-2003, 03:59 PM Looking through some of my notes for an upcoming campaign, I realize there is still some need to have adequate chem/bio protection, so I'd bring along chem/bio gear and stow it in one of the vehicles.

While it's not likely that chem/bio attacks would be common occurence, it's still a good idea to be prepared. Who knows if Mr. Murphy is going to be along on our little adventure.

MJGRIFF 04-28-2003, 09:33 PM Oh I can garunteeega-run-teee it!!! He's an old "friend" of mine!!! I know he won't want to miss this kind of opportunity!

Sau Sponte

Griff

TiggerCCW UK 05-02-2003, 04:17 AM Murphy turn up in a party with an Ulsterman? What are the chances? Anyone any vehicle preferences for our group?

dawg180 05-02-2003, 09:05 AM If we have a mechanic that can put offroad suspension on my Ford Mustang, I'll volunteer it!

....hmm, maybe that is more Mad Max than T2K, eh?

El Tee 05-02-2003, 01:27 PM Originally posted by dawg180

If we have a mechanic that can put offroad suspension on my Ford Mustang, I'll volunteer it!

....hmm, maybe that is more Mad Max than T2K, eh?

I've seen a Fox-body (88-93?) Mustang with the raised truck suspensions (culled from a Ranger, I'd guess). I wonder how one would get into the car, given the 24" of step in height to the doorsill.

Given my choice, I'd opt for the group to have a Hummer or two, depending on the size of the party. Good flexibility, fair fuel economy, and while not heavily armored, it doesn't require the maintenance of an AFV.

As far as civilian vehicles go, I'd choose a Toyota Land Cruiser or something along those lines; a large, go-anywhere vehicle with light maintenance and remarkable reliability and durability.

And it'd be hard to justify keeping an Abrams MBT, if we were to have one to begin with; the fuel consumption alone would make it impractical - we'd need several Hummers with stills running a supply train behind it, and would be spending a lot of time stopped, distilling fuel.

Good point about vehicles. Anyone else have an opinion?

dawg180 05-02-2003, 04:12 PM If it was in the U.S., I would go with Jeep Wranglers and Cherokees (or Libertys as the new model is called). Decent offroad performance, decent gas mileage, easy to find spare parts. Besides, it shouldn't be too hard to make field expedient pintles for Wranglers.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Administrator

TiggerCCW UK 05-04-2003, 07:04 AM I'm a big fan of Landrovers - they just never die. I agree with the comments about heavy armour - unless we just happened to have our own fuel depot, there is no way they would be worth all the effort. I would probably be keen to opt for some of the armoured Landrovers that they use over here in NI. Stats for them are on Paul Mulcahy's web site as the Cav 100 (I think) in the British light armoured vehicles section. They have also recently deployed a new heavier vehicle which resembles an over grown landrover called the Tavern, but I would avoid it where possible - apparently very unreliable and unpopular with the troops. Its based on a security van for moving large sums of cash. I seem to recall that there have been eighteen standardised modifications to it in the first five or six months in service.

ReHerakhte 05-08-2003, 07:29 AM Somewhat off topic, but mention of the Mustang with the truck suspension brings to mind a conversion kit here in Australia that I am kinda curious to see if you fellas in the US have.

The kit is made to convert a typical 2x4 stationwagon or panel van type into a 4x4 offroader. Gives it a higher suspension and reinforces all the connection points etc. Doesn't seem to require extensive workshop time to complete either.

But in regards to vehicles, I would agree with the desirability of Hummers, Landrovers and Landcruisers but being an old fashioned treadhead, I would be inclined to "aquire" some sort of wheeled APC or an armoured car for the 'just in case' situation or even some sort of recce car for scouting. Something like the German TPz1 Fuchs would be sweet if a little too big or the MOWAG Eagle. Hell, if worse came to worst, I'd even settle for a BTR80

Cheers,

Kevin.

El Tee 05-09-2003, 01:21 PM Originally posted by ReHerakhte

Somewhat off topic, but mention of the Mustang with the truck suspension brings to mind a conversion kit here in Australia that I am kinda curious to see if you fellas in the US have.

The kit is made to convert a typical 2x4 stationwagon or panel van type into a 4x4 offroader. Gives it a higher suspension and reinforces all the connection points etc. Doesn't seem to require extensive workshop time to complete either.

But in regards to vehicles, I would agree with the desirability of Hummers, Landrovers and Landcruisers but being an old fashioned treadhead, I would be inclined to "aquire" some sort of wheeled APC or an armoured car for the 'just in case' situation or even some sort of recce car for scouting. Something like the German TPz1 Fuchs would be sweet if a little too big or the MOWAG Eagle. Hell, if worse came to worst, I'd even settle for a BTR80

Cheers,

Kevin.

Do you mean something like a "monster truck"? To a lesser extent, I've seen vans modified with off-road suspensions at dirt/truck parks.

A Fuchs would be nice...can't remember the Fuel Cons or Maint requirements offhand, but in most campaigns I've been involved with, the PCs seem to acquire one at some point. Also, back to the civvie-style vehicles, the Mercedes Benz Gelandewagen would be a robust post-apocalypse touring vehicle, even if a bit of a maintenance queen.

dawg180 05-09-2003, 02:25 PM 4 and 6 wheel versions of the French VAB were always very popoular with our gaming groups, not to mention the LAV-25, also known by the players as the "SUV with a big gun"

TiggerCCW UK 05-18-2003, 07:28 AM The LAV 25 was always a popular choice with my players as well. Are any versions of it with a heavy tank type gun in service with the US army or marines at present? I think the Saudis are using a heavy one, but I'm not sure.

jester770 06-05-2003, 05:38 AM Sounds Interesting.

Some buddies and I came up with this very thing back in 91. The one draw back is that when you start playing and your character starts getting wounded or even killed well, it was a point of something to laugh about.

Then one of my freinds had a problem, it seemed that every time he used his weapon it would malfunction. <Everytime there was action his weapons would misfire. And he had a SMAW>

You guys said you needed weapons personel to round the team out. I know I'll regret it, never volunteer and here I am opening my big mouth. I know I'll end up humping extra. Oh well to late

As for myself as a character now here it goes with just a few of the main things:

Prior to Millitary:

Student with a smattering of high school Latin and two years of Spanish so a level 2 or 3 language ability.

Certified Welder and Cutter 4

1 Semester short of an Air Frame and Power Plant Certification from Northrope University, skill of 4

Civil Air Patrol Cadet 5 years:

Drill

Instruction

Pilot <Fixed Wing>

Navigation <Land and Air>

Small Arms Rifle

Search and Rescue

Observation

Communications

1St Aid

Persuasion <I was in charge of recruiting>

Other: <School activities>

Clerical I worked in the Library

Persuasion <I recruted several people into the Marines>

Acting <I actualy took acting>

Forgery <working in attendance office "helping" freinds>

Endurance <cross country team>

U/A Melee <wresting and not just with cheerleaders >

Instruction <I was a teachers aid and assited at the night school>

Surfing <hey I am from SoCal and it was a PE course in school>

Millitary:

Small arms Held every billet in a Marine rifle squad, even was Company Gunny and Platoon Sgt for about a month.

Okay here are the billets, schools, jobs assignments I held that I can remember and held more than once or for any signifigant period of Time:

Rifleman <To include SAW and M203>

Mortarman

Weapons Instructor

Assitant Radioman

Helecopter Support Team

PLRS operator <EARLY large bulky and classified GPS>

Mountain Warfare school Summer and Winter Package <Winter ALOT of skiing, snowshoing, winter survival, endurance, navigation and fighting skills> <Summer package, rappeling, mountain climbing, hikling, rope use bridging etc>

Chaser

Classified materials custodian

Driver

HumVee aand Tactical Vehicle Repair

Personel and Intel Clerk <S1 and S2>

NBC NCO

Uinit Armorer

Scout Swimmer

Coxswain

Helcopter Assualt Unit and SOC unit.

Medical <You're around it you pick it up>

Forward Observer

Jungle Survival

Urban combat

Instruction

Acting <try acting sobber in formation or comming through the gate. Always managed to talk my way out and keep my stripes>

Weapons systems trained on:

M16

M203

M249

60mm Mortar

81mm Mortar

M9 9mm

M1911A1

Remington 870 12 guage

M72 LAW

AT 4

SMAW

M60E3

M2 .50

MK19

Tow System <can load and set it up, never fired it.>

Post Millitary:

Police Academy

Security, Police and Corrections

Spanish <2 years college>

Russian <1 year college, 2 years of learning on own>

2 year degree anthropology<Archeology>

2 year degree hisotry

2 year degree Pilice Science

DOJ Certificate Criminal Proffiling

DOJ cert <short 1 course> Forensice Anthropology

2 years working as NP/Forrest ranger

Assitant Scuba Instructor

Small boat <rubber raft, fishing boat and small cabin cruiser class>

Rapelling

Shootomg <With a powerful cartridge, a scope and a well taken care of rifle things are even easier>

Pistol Shooting. I can still hit a moving target with the first shot in under a second.

Instruction Substitute teacher and assitant

Archeology, several courses and several digs

Ammunition reloading

Vehicle repair <a buddy and I buy repair and resell cars>

Navigation I live<d> in/near the desert,, getting to my favoriter place to shoot is no easy feat, and I hike regularly in the Sierras.

Fishing, how do yyou think I got the boat handling skills.

Hunting, in So Cal I at least see the animals I am after,

Parachute: I have 7 freefall jumps <all civilian>

Farming; Horse, Farming, Cattle raising, my family has a farm in Oregon and we raised beef cattle and a few other crops wwhich I helped for a year or two after I got out.

Leadership; Kids <younger people> always seem to look to me even when I would rather not have the resposibility. But, alas, when you are the only one with experience the burden is yours.

And scrounging, don;t even ask what I have been able to get.

Oh yeah and I'm a pretty decent cook too at home and in the field.

That is about it that I can recall, as we all know, there are alot of other things that make up each of those skills.

Now as for the other topics of this thread, I should really check this site more than once every 2 years.

A vehicle for the group.

I would suggest what we call a Baja Bug. An old model Volkswagen bug that has been stripped of alot of its excess items like windows and fenders. A beefed up suspension, a roll cage, larger tires and raising it.

I would also make the following alterations:

replace the gasoline engine with a similiar diesel engine from a Jetta or Rabbit <alot more power and torque and it is more fuel efficient than gasoline>

Adding a skid plate to the bottom, and armor platting in critical places. Installing a beefed up drive train and modifiying it to accept possibly a 4 wheel drive transmission like from a Jeep. Of course it should be a stick shift as well.

Other minor details: Dual battery similiar to the HumVee. Two hard points for MGs.

1 in the front passenger seat firng forward. a mount to handle an M60 class weapon.

The second hardpoint in the sunroof <or wwhere you cut a sunroof> a mount to accept one of the three, M2 .50 cal, MK19 or twin M240 mgs.

Mounting several police style sspot lights and one in the gunners mount.

Placing a fold down windscreen in two sections Once for the driver and one for the passenger. Of plexiglass.

A decent heating system

A second fuel tank of at least 12 gallons

Raised exhaust and air intake snorkel for fording deeper water

Oil Cooler and Transmission cooler

Second Vehicle:

Mid Sized Pickup truck with extended cab.

Diesel engine and 4X4 manual transmission

2 20 gallon tanks

Reinforced frames and beefed up and raised suspension with over sized tires

Armor in critical places

Jeep style fold down windscreen with plexiglass. <All glass removed>

Dual battery system

Power Winch

Roll Cage with metal tubing running the length of either side of the bed and an arch over the front and rear of the cab and another arch over the tail gate.

Canvas top to mount over the roll bars.

MG Hard Points in the following locations:

M240 mount in the front passenger seat for forward and limited lateral firing

Hard Point atop cab for .50 caliber class MG

Hardpoint on rear roll bar arch for M240 mount or twin M240 mount fir rear and side to side and forward obliq firng.

Robust rear end.axel assembly with gear ratios optimum for towing.

Tow hitch for millitary and civilian trailers.

Secondary radiator that can be isolated from the primary.

Engine oil cooler

Transmission cooler

Small civilian trailer for towing additional gear.

Of course these vehicles are for what I would do if the vehicles, resources and more importantly my buddy where there to help me do it. Of course in the T2K world we would be going with what we were able to beg borrow steal and make do with what were at hand.

Location in T2K

Let me see, 1997. NUTS! I lived near March AFB, until it was shut down and turned into a reserve facility it was the MAC HQ. Then I had Norton in the general area as well another target and even closer the Naval Weapons LAB in Norco. I knowfor sure that March was a target, but it was about 25 miles away with a small range of mountains between me and it, the same goes for Norton and although not as much distance between the LABs and my home there was a wide range of rollling hills and then a talller range of hills on on the facilittiess perimeter that are a few houndred feet high. With any luck they would sheild me from much of the blast and imediate radiation.

Then we have to consider would those facilities have been open still in the T2K scenario or not.

Another factor would be, would I stay here in a time of major world war where recruiters would turn a blind eye to previos disqualifying factors and the waiver process would be expedited.

I would most likely try to join my regiment so to speak wwhich would put me in the Middle East.

If I couldn't make it back into the Corps <the evil that you know vs. the evil yyou don't> Then there is a semi local NG Helo assault unit which I have been working on getting a waiver for a commission. <but they don't acceppt after market parts even if they were installed by Army techs.>

Now if I couldn't find myself a place in the green machine then I would do one of three things:

Make my way up North to the family farm along with a few compadres where we would live fairly decently and pherhaps make a trip up North on occasssion to make the Russian Bear Dance.

Or to stay localy and hide out in the Mountains and be a pain in the sside of the invading Mexicans.

Another posibility would be to make my way to one of the islands off the coast of California many of these have plenty of animals deer, sheep, mountain goat, wild pig, bison and marine life, and then there is fresh water and areas that can be farmed.

These islands are out of the way and large enough for a small group to hide faairly well. Alsso, alot of these islands are currently uninhabited and the odds of people being able/wanting to cross the 20+ miles of ocean to these islands is doubtful.

And as a plus to remaiin totaly undetected one could go to the Southern Channel islands which are naval ranges. These islands are off limits and are said to have large quantities of unexploded ordinanace from guns, missiles and aircraft. A deterent for some one to travel there if you chose that as your base. <And a plus if you take the risk to extract the explosives from the duds> A few parts of the islands have not been bombed and buildings of naval weahter stations etc still remain.

Well it was a good question. And just please don't put me on any system I would have to hump everything including the kitchen sink

Later,

j

Snake Eyes 06-08-2003, 09:57 AM Hey, folks! Haven't been around for a while, but now that I'm back I figure I'd toss my hat in the "Yourself-as-a-PC" ring. So ... what do I bring to the team? Not much beyond a warm body, an analytical mind, and another finger on the trigger. My dossier is as follows:

Civilian Male

Height: 191 cm

Mass: 108 Kg

ATTRIBUTES:

STR: 5 - Big, but not quite so tough anymore.

AGL: 4/6 - Good aim & manual dexterity, but fails the wobbly test.

CON: 5 - Doesn't get sick too often, but could lose a few pounds.

INT: 8 - Borderline Mensa material.

EDU: 5 - Some college (and an ass-load of IT certifications), but no degree.

CHA: 7 - Gets by on charm and good looks. Still handy with the ladies.

BACKGROUND:

Grew up in Anchorage, Alaska. Lived in a middle-class neighborhood under final approach to Elmendorf AFB -- home of Alaskan Air Command HQ (and a primary nuke target). Although an honor student, consistently performed below "alleged" potential. Secretary of student congress. Captain of rifle team. Manager of girls' varsity & JV soccer teams. Co-founder & charter member of Model UN team. Graduated high school in 1989, back when the Rooskies were still the badguys. Spent the summer as a marine wildlife sightseeing guide, then headed off to Washington, DC, for college. Was a finalist for the NROTC (Marine Option) scholarship, but that didn't quite pan out.

Term 1 - College/Slacker (1989-1993)

Initially had lofty ideas about joining the Foreign Service, but instead wound up triple-majoring in leisure studies, recreational pharmaceuticals and female anatomy. Coincidentally ran out of money and motivation right around the same time the University finally decided they'd seen enough.

Term 2 - Law Enforcement (1993-1997)

Spent four years in private sector law enforcement (held a Maryland state police commission while employed by an Australian-owned Real Estate Investment Trust). Supervised sixteen screw-ups with no interest in following a whole lot of rules. Briefly enrolled in a state certification program in fire/arson investigation before making the jump to IT.

Term 3/3.5 - IT Consultant (1998-Present)

Became a tech guru and headed to sunny California to find fame and fortune at the height of all that "dot-com" silliness. That was cool for a few years, but the market for IT consultants in the Bay Area has gone really soft and the jobs are few & far between. Now spends most of the day playing video games or brawling for scraps at the dumpster behind the 7-11 down the street (Oops -- just broke the first rule of "Fight Club").

SKILLS:

Act/Bluff-2, Admin/Legal-4, Astronomy-1, Bargain-4, Business-2. Carousing-6, Carpentry-1, Chemistry-2, Computer-7, Cooking-3, Ground Vehicle (Wheeled)-3, History-2, Instruction-2, Interrogation-2, Interview-4, Language (English)-10, Language (Latin)-1, Language (Mandarin)-1, Language (Spanish)-2.Leader-2, Medical(First Aid)-2, Melee Combat (Armed)-1, Melee Combat (Unarmed)-3, Persuasion-4, Physics-1, Psychology-2, Recruiting-1, Research-4, SCUBA-1, Small Arms (Rifle)-2, Small Arms (Sidearm)-3, Small Boat-2, Survival-2, Swimming-4, Thrown Weapon-1,

GEAR:

SIG/Sauer P229

+ 3x10 rd mags .40 S&W (180 gr. Remington Golden Sabre BJHP)

Winchester Defender 1300 shotgun

+ 55 rd bandolier 12 ga. 2&3/4" 00 buckshot (Federal Tactical Load)

1984 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4x4 (Wear Value: 9)

jester770 06-17-2003, 11:47 PM AWWWW man! I didn't know we had to come up with our own equipment NUTS now I have to reroll.

Okay folks here is another question that was inspired by this original topic of ourselves as a character.

Could you and with people you know in your vicinity who would would join you and who would not be called up and deployed as members of the active, reserve or national guard or civil defense forces? <They can be in the millitary or reserves etc and be in a non deployable status, local law enforcement and emergency services do not count and could be members of your group.>

Myself I belive I could muster a force within just 4 hours to 28 hours depending on time and how well transportation netwworks remained <I am assuming severe traffic jams as a given>

Myself <skill wise I think I would end up as a character, something created by a munchkin and boarder as elite with my plethora of skills. I was just a regular mud rolling grunt though and I have the bad backm, knees, ankles, shoulders, and other ailments to back ip up ;>

2 Former Marine MPs both PG 1 vets with 8 years of civilian law enforment

1 former Marine Mortarman with 10 years of construction and plumbing experience, SCUBA of 6 surfing of 8

1 former Army mortarman with the 82nd, 4 years of Law Enforcement and computer skill at 9 and 4 years as an EMT

1 former Army 101st infantryman with 10 years of construction

1 retired Navy corpsman <20 years> and with 8 years of consctruction.

1 Navy Cropsman <1 tour> with a degree and certification as a physical therapist

1 former Navy Corpsman <1 tour> with time in a Recon unit, and civilian EMP/Paramedic

1 former Marine TOW gunner with 1 tour in a STA unit <Marine Sniper>

1 former Marine TOW, along with 1 year as an millitary auto repairman and an alternate MOS with school training as a small arms repairman. Civilian, Butcher 8 years

1 Marine mechanic, 1 year reservist and 3years working on a firing range. Horse riding 8, Animal handling/training 10 and veteraniarnas training at 5 with surgical experience-2 or 3

1 former Navy coxswain, computer 7

1 Former Marine radio intelligence NCO with 2 tours and 8 years of constrcution/carpentry.

1 NG Bradley driver, 6 years police, 12 years as mechanic with a skill of 10

1 2 tour Army NCO who spent time instructing close quarters hand to hand in Basic or AIT, mechanic of 10, electrical of 5 small boat of 9 and spent 10 years driving a big rig.

Okay that rounds out my local millitary trained members of my party.

There are a xouple of others but I would question if I would want them as part of my group.

Civilian or non millitary trained members:

1 Minning engineer no millitary and middle aged,

5 civilian police/security types:

1.) with auto driving and repair skill at 8 and a factory certified Glock, H&K and S&W armorer.

2.) Fire Arms and forgery, Spanish 10 <DON"T EVEN ASK!>

3.) Driving 9 motorcycle 9 <he drives rice rockets in races> small arms pistol 7, he is almost better than me. ALMOST.

4.) Mechanic 4, unarmed mellee 8 <he is small but he has never lost> construction 4, lets call it even and not mention his weapons scores.

2 60ish attorneys <provided they managed to survive the ravages of disedase, famine and other calamities

1.) Land Nav 10, small arms 6, chemistry 5electronics 6, electrical 6, computer 6, clerical 11, perssuasion 8 <former Millitary training 50 years ago: Heavy weapons 4, combat engineering 5, feild communications 4, demo 5> <all of the technical data he has and can do, as for the physical he could do about half on his own, but heavier work would require assitance or his instruction as some one else did the work.

2.) Admin 8, persuasion 10, computer 9, SCUBA 4, mechanic 4, small arms <rifle 4, pistol 2> , small boat 6 nav 6

1 Former Navy Surgical Nurse retired 60ish. Medical 6 with OR experience.

Yes people these are my freinds and family who live within a reasonable area and the PRIMARY skills they bring. This of course does not include the additional family members that they would bring with them, but all in all that would only add no more than 6 children uner 12 and 1 over and what, 4 or 5 wives with whatever skills they would bring, these skills would range from TV producer to assmbly line worker and secretary.

Now as for weaponry and vehicles IF we decided to work with just what we had available to us <Well what vehicles that would be of use>

6 4X4 trucks of assorted models

4 Jeeps or Jeep Like vehicles

3 additional 4X4 type cars

5 2 wheel drive pickups

3 motorcycles

3 zodiac inflatible rafts, 1 with a 8 person capacity, 2 with 4 person capacity

3 Bayliner cabin cruisers in the 24 foot range all trailerable

3 horses

Weaponry of Millitary Design:

9 M16 style weapons

4 AK47 variants

2 L1A1's

1 HK91

2 M1A1s

3 M1 Garands

1 Valmet M76 <I think>

3 SKSs

1 M1A1 Thompson SMG <Semi Auto Variant>

1 Mac 11 <9mm semi auto variant>

3 M1 Carbines

2 Ruger Mini 30s

5 Ruger Mini 14s

7 12 Guage Remington 870s and Mosberg 590s in the riot gun configuration.

1 Benelli semi auto

1 Spas 12 guage

1 Savage Heavy barrel scoped rifle in .300 Win Mag

1 Remington 700 tricked out into a sniper rifle

1 Remington 7mm turned into a sniper rifle

Civilian Rifles

30-30 class rifles-6

Misc centerfire bolt actions-9

.22 riffles- 1.5 per party member

Other shotguns including autoloaders, single and double barrels again 1.5 per party member

Millitary or Duty pistols: <Pistols or a regular size and with a caliber that is one of the standards for LAW Enforcmenet or Millitary use>

Semi auto:

.45 14

10mm 3

.40 6

9mm 29 <aprox>

Revolvers:

.44 4

357/38 18

Other semi autos:

center fire 21

.22 11

Revolvers

Centerfire 7 <Most single action including 1 in 45-70>

Centerfire 4

As for other gear well we can all come up with enough gear for living and field/combat use.

And most of us millitary types feel in a time of confusion with new faces everywhere and green troops it would not be a difficult feat to toss on an old uniform with an officers bars and attempt to bluff one of the many green troops new to the area placed on guard. Further I and a few others I share a beer or three with talk about how gear is often abandoned or even destroyed when it can not or is to much of a chore to load and take back.

So, with a little luck and some fast talking aided by modern computers and color copiers I think I could whip up some orders and requsitions that even a seasoned supply Sgt would not give a second glance. Toss in a phone call from the Regiment/Division adjudants office warning of your arrival to ensdure everything goes smoothly and you could be in and out before they knew what happened. <Yes, when on active duty I actualy did similiar on a lesser scale.>

The above would work for basic supplies of field equipment and ratiions. Small arms ammo would have to be done with a little more care, waiting until the ammo tech is overrun with people trying to draw ammo, batteries and com gear, you have a slim chance as most of the gear is at the company level. Weapons, and heavy weapons would be best gained by acting as an officer intimidating recruits or sending them off on a working party and leaving one of your party as the weapons guard. Or if you are lucky enough to find some left unguarded either stacked or mounted on vehicles.

The problem I see for my group would be in gaining a resupply of ammo for heavy MG classes of weapons and other than by sheer chance of luck having anything other than the most primative of anti armor devices ie Molotov cocktails or using improvised shaped charges made from C4 that was gained from your supply runs.

So, on the honor system, who could come up with a group and how good do you think they would be?

Later folks

J

Harold Mayo 06-18-2003, 12:28 AM Wow...that's quite a group.

I wouldn't be the leader of such a group, but I could gather up a lot of people with a lot of skills.

Within four hours, I could be at a place where there would be a muster of former military and a lot of active LE types, all with special forces/special operations/SWAT experience. With them would be a large number of department-owned and personally-owned full-auto weapons ranging from MP5's (a lot of variants) to older M16's to M4's. There would be a lot of shotguns (Benellis and 870's, mostly), a dizzying array of handguns (Glocks of all sorts, P7M8's and M13's, custom 1911's and hi-power's, some Sigs, Kahrs as BUGs), and a handful of sniper rifles (pretty much all Remington 700's in .308).

I can't really count how many there would be off the top of my head but several would have long gun and handgun skills maxed out. I think that the group that I am thinking of would actually be short on practical skills and long on weapons and combat skills.

If I were given my choice of, let's say, 10 people who I know to form my group:

1. Weapons guy: Handgun and long gun skills of 9 or 10, Instruction 9 or 10, Stealth-related skills (actual stealthy movement and hiding, lock-picking, etc.) would be 8 or 9, SCUBA at 9 or 10, unarmed combat at 10, knife at 9 or 10, exceptionally high charisma. Only bad part about this guy is that old wounds and injuries, as well as age (about 50) are starting to get the better of him and he isn't as fast as he once was. He's still mean, though.

2. Another weapons guy: a protege of the above guy with slightly better physical scores because of relative youth but a couple of points lower in the weapons skills and not possessing the SCUBA and knife skills at all.

3. A jack-of-trades and friend: has moderate weapons skills similar to the above, as well as unarmed, has some mechanical skills, has a high charisma and good social skills and good contacts in all levels of local society.

4. A mechanic: 20 years of Army experience as a heavy equipment mechanic, 24 years of doing the same after retirement from the Army, grew up working on the same with his father on the farm...I think he qualifies for a maxed out mechanic skill as well as some electronic and electrical skills and some equipment operation. Has some weapons and gunsmithing skills. Physical scores are very poor, however.

5. A mechanic/civil engineer/electronics specialist: a degreed civil engineer with a PE, highly-mechanically inclined, highly skilled in electronics and electrical stuff, has a huge gun collection but not a lot of actual skill, familiar with military weapons from a tour in Vietnam but no current experience or practice, physical skills going down.

6. A civil engineer/hydrologist: another degreed civil engineer with a PE, a consultant, good physical scores from relative youth, good long gun skills and hand guns skills with civilian weapons, decently equipped with firearms, good mechanical skills, high intelligence (10), a lot of farming experience/background and experience with heavy equipment, excellent computer and electronic skills.

7. Another guy and friend: included because of friendship, this guy has some moderate weapons skills and mechanical skills and is a top-notch machinist but has no other real skills.

8. Another weapons guy: another protege of #1 but with one less level in all skills but with better physical scores because of age, well-connected in LE circles and also with an assistant SECDEF.

9. Private investigator: good stealth skills, good handgun skills, former/somewhat current bodybuilder with immense strength, good unarmed skills, good mechanical skills, good driving skills.

10. Another friend: good weapons skills and mechanical skills, good driving skills, excellent computer and electronic skills, drafting skills, good weapons collection.

Most of these are good friends, a couple are acquaintances, and one is actually just someone who I've only met a couple of times but who would come along with one of the other guys. Overall a decent mix with some weaknesses.

What I could REALISTICALLY gather up, though, is probably #2 through #7 and that's about it.

jester770 06-18-2003, 02:15 AM Yeah the realistic thoughts that hit kill your ideas sometimes. I know for my group I could probably add a couple of seals, another recon type and even a couple of SF guys. the problems though would be that the SEALS I do not trust and are to much into themselves, great guys and wonderfful proffesionaly but, since we aren't SEALS we are lesser and they would work together, but one is junior to the other and thus they would conflict there. The recon guy a bit of a loose cannon, aand a second recon guy worse and full of BS. I could also add a former Sgt Mag from SF but the problem would be, he was with SF when it first began, alot of knowledge but the ability has degraded. Then I could add a failry young Marine Sgt Mag and a Marine Master Sgt of Motor T along with close to a dozen teenagers he mentors as a recruit base.

I could also say the same for one of the above lawyers <yeah he is family> who is a scout master, heck we could come up with an entire scout troop however as a proffessional soldier I find it uneasy to put children on the line hence I ommitted them altogether, but if it came to an entire community then I could include them.

Harold tell me, do my ideas about aquiring millitary equipment sound to ballsy or what?

I know I could even aquire Hummers, Dueces, Five Tons and with luck a Wrecker and with alot of Luck an armored Wrecker. I have not mentioned anything armored as I have not driven one and can count on one hand the times I have been inside of one, but they can be had as well. It just taakes some expereie4nce and knowledge combined with being brash and luck.

And your aquiring of small arms, I intentionaluy ignored that part, thinking those weapons would be on duty and thus out of reach. Also, if your people were to make a break for safety when things went donw the drain big time you would want to do it on your donw time unless you were planning on taking the entire unit and perhaps your partner which would be akin to deserting your post.

Oh yeah, also per my group and my skills:

Myself and the retired Navy Corpsman both brew our own ale and beer, so that should win a few good people over to our side

Harold Mayo 06-18-2003, 09:44 AM Pretty ballsy, yes. In a SHTF situation, I have my doubts about how easy it would be to acquire any "military" equipment.

I've got three "ranges", I guess you could say, that range from realistic to somewhat fantasy that I could do.

The most fantastic is getting ANYONE that I have a personal relationship with to come with me. In this case, very unrealistic, I could have literally dozens of Class III weapons (many WWII vintage MG34s and MG42s, full-auto BARs, grease guns, and Thompsons as well as several M16 variants and H&K subguns) as well as some really well-trained guys. Like I said, this is largely fantasy.

The middle range, one that is could happen but is not likely, is the one that I mentioned in another post with the LEOs and such.

The realistic one is the one that I mentioned with the #2 to #7 guys. That scenario is more likely than any other as those people not only live near one another but are friends and family. I don't think that I could muster up anything more than a single MP5 in terms of full-auto weapons (a department-owned gun carried by a SWAT guy with him everywhere) but everyone could be armed with long guns (several AR15s, heavy-barreled Remington 700s, an M1A or two, a lot of various shotguns) and handguns (you name it, basically). Heavy construction equipment would be easy to come by as would shop facilities with cutting and welding equipment (goes into the nature of our businesses). Defensible dwellings would be difficult to come by but there IS a piece of property with a large house/cabin on it that is pretty isolated that might serve as a base...I just don't feel that it is any safer than any other location except for its remoteness. Four-wheel drive vehicles are owned by most of the persons but no "military" type things like Hummers. Overall, it wouldn't be a bad group. The skill sets are varied and there are some experts at a wide variety of things. The weapons skills are there, too. Fairly calm heads, several of which have been in armed confrontations in either a military or LE scenario, are present. In terms of 100% realistic, I think that I could come up with an acceptable little force for defensive actions and for survival. Offensive actions other than sniping would be a problem, though.

jester770 06-19-2003, 04:46 PM Yes, my ideas about "aquiring" heaviier vehicles and more apropriate weapons for combat are a touvh extreme and I would only use those methods in the most dire of straights.

I have the benefit of having several millitary facilities in my general area, and I also know how screwed up they can be so that I THINK I could take advantage of it. I know how the systems work, what papperwork is involved and have old copies that with the magic of modern color copiers and printers I am sure I can make a passsible set of forms and orders. Couple that with a phone call from the adjudants office to seal the deal.

Further, such places as railroad depots, NG armories and even DRMO <Defense Reutilization forgot what the M and O stand for> where millitary and DOD facilities basicaly turn in old, use, worn out or surplus equipment ranging from laptops to HumVees school buses copy papper and other items for sale and auction to the general public. These places although on government land and usualy bases are not always that well guarded. <A routine patrol coupled with an alarm system>

So, yes in desperate times, I would not be above out and out stealing. And in a combat zone with units in convoy or replenishing munitions I doubt they would ask for papperwork and double check before they refueled one of the 20 or 30 vehicles that are pulling in and out. Just jump in line and hold your hand out.

And I also know that the millitary is not overly concerned with saving for a raining day. Ammo and demo is easier dumped into the sea or burried in the field rather than try to turn it back in. Vehicle that break on the move are normaly abandoned and they may be salvaged later or scaveneged. Or they may just be left or destroyed so the enemy doesn't get them. The same goes ffor surplus supplies, I once had a free hand in a forward supply dump. Rather than pack everything else up and send it back to the ships the gear was burnt and then later bulldozed.

And as I mentioned, and a freind and I have actualy joked how easy it would be to do this.

Put on an old uniform along with an officers ensignia grab a vehicle like a white pickup <loose the liscence plates> and drive around a recruit training area of one base in particular. They recruits would be in the field away from most people who would be able to tell the difference or to verify your identity. Stop these recruit chew them out and take their weapons instructing them to have their Drill Instructor to come and get them. And you disapear POOF For someone who knows the system it does have a reasonable chance for success.

The same can be done at some of the weapons ranges. This time I would suggest posing as an armorer or an offficer with a bug up his ash.

Surprisingly units when drawing supplies the normal procedure is to just show up at supply show your ID card and then fill out the supply card signing for your gear and taking it back to your barracks. For the armory, it is pretty much the same of course they also issue a weapons card from the company commander.

Vehicles, well it is simliar to drawing basic equipment from supply. Go to the motorpool, either base or unit. Base one can use the excuse of being there to PM <preventative maintenece and cleaning> the units vehicles, there no ID check is done, for base, more civilian type vehicles, present your ID card and get the vehicle needed for the task, fill out the vehicle checkout sheet and and offf you go with a full tank of fuel.

Add the confusion of combat one could just pull up to a larger unit supply point and draw ammo and supplies.

As for the perspective of the area I am in Mexico would have invaded and I think the chaos would even greater so you could get away with even more.

Another way to aquire vehicles and supply would be to aquire a vehicle and mark it as a roadmasters vehicle. <Roasdmaster something akin to highway patrol on a base> Pull over the vehicle or convoy of your choice aand then bluff them or delay them under pretense eventualy impounding or apropriating the vehicles. The greener the personel the easier it is to get away with the plan.

OR one can just use no finesse and pull a quick raid on a supply point or transportation area. Of course the would incure its own risk as they would be alerted from the begining and your time would be limited to gain whatever items were quick and easily grabbed before a reaction team assembled to blow the crap out of you for attacking them. Here the risk of gunplay and persuit is a sure thing with chances off escape reduced.

Then another method would be to pose as a regulat recruit, stand in line and you'll get an issue, as for no ID card, and not being on a roster, that happens all the time with ommissions on reports etc.

Show up at a base where a unit is have weapons qualification. And report to say the mess section posssing as a Pvt who has been assinged mess duty. Or for other range duty. When the group goes to a class, chow etc volunteer as weapons/gear guard. That group leaves everything behind with you watching, Up pulls a van and inside goes a platoons worth of weapons, webbing, helmets, flack vests, maybe packs, maybe 1 combat load of ammo aand of course you.

Of course the above involves waiting and timmming before you could pull it off but it is possible.

These are so many other means of aquiring equipment. Show up on a battle field after the fighting is over and pick up what is left. A good means of gaining small arms rather than vehicles since most vehicles would be damaged.

These are just one of dozens of ways of aquiring items, other could include robbbing a gunshop or shooting range, especialy those that have full auto weapons. Robbing a NG armory not to difficult, in T2K with them amnned would make it more difficult. Or robbing/stealing a police car. In my neck of the woods it ias not uncommon to see units with both a rifle and a shotgun or more iin the front gun rack. If the unit belongs to someone on one of the many specialty uits you can gain anything from a sniper rifle based on a Remington, M16 variant, MP5 variant or other special weapon usualty one of the many HK rifles or a Styer in addition to ammo, magazines, assault vest and heavier body armor and posssibly even flashbangs.

The question is not really small arms because if you do not have the supply train that a modern millitary uniot has available to it then your automatic fire would burn up all your ammo in no time. Especialy if yourf troops were not well trained and expeirienced in their use. Even those with LE backgrounds though they could handle SMGs and assault rifles well they woud be at a distinct disadvantage when it came to heavier weapons like belt fed light general purpose and heavy machinguns. Let alone anti tank weapons like mines and rockets.

And again we encounter the problem of what to do about having a punch heavier than small arms. OR would you avoid at all costs encvounters with anything heavy,. Unless you setv up an well laifd ambush wwith mines.

Just somethoughts.

LAter,

Jess

recon35 09-22-2004, 08:06 AM Well, let's see. I grew up on a "gentleman's farm" of 60 acres with 20+ head of cattle and a bunch of d@^n chickens, so I know a little about that. I was a boy scout and later loved to backpack so I know a little about that. I went to the Citadel for 3 years, intent on a commision in the Army, but got the boot for too many AWOLs to see my now wife, which, coupled with a health condition that arose, and the general draw down of the military (this was 1989-90) I never got the commision, though I did pick up some small unit leadership stuff, as well as basic small arms familiarization. I was a probation/parole agent for 8 years, so I've done more in the small arms and arrest techniques (I was also on the special operations response team - more training!). I've also partially restored several 67-72 Chevy pickups, so I know a bit about the pre-fuel injected engines and could probably do some field repairs if needed. Obiously, another "jack of all trades, master of none!"

dawg180 09-26-2004, 11:58 AM Alright, my last post on this thread was TWO YEARS ago, so it is time for a better update. Besides, I am having a terrible allergy day so sitting in the A/C on the computer seems the best solution.

STR: 5 (look pretty decently built even when I don't work out)

AGI: 5 (average at any dexterity based stuff)

CON: 4 (I get sick quite a bit- just colds and crap, but it still happens)

INT: 8 (My parents said if I even knew my IQ I would get a complex)

EDU: 8 (got a 3.6/4 GPA in undergrad and grad and didn't barely study)

CHA: 5 (can have a rapier wit but also a bit of a mean streak that evens it out, good presentation skills)

Skills:

Architecture (Engineering): 5 (maybe closer to a 6 in specific fields)

Small Arms (Rifle): 3

Small Arms (pistol) 2

Gunsmithing: 1 (can diagnose problems/fix AR-15, 1911, some FAL stuff)

Swimming: 2

Wheeled Vehicle: 4

Tactics: 1

Persuasion: 4 (lots of presentations, interviews for my job)

Language (Spanish): 1

Instruction: 2 (Was a teaching assistant in college, but not a great one)

Music: 3 (can play guitar, bass, trumpet, a little piano)

Computer: 2

Wow, guess I don't really know all that much once I look at it!

Personal weapons if the SHTF:

AR-15 (either M16A1 clone or M4 flattop with red dot sight)

Colt 9mm 1911

TR 09-26-2004, 07:29 PM Don't fool yourself, the one amusing thing about Twilight is minimial skills go a LONG way...

Looking at your examples:

Architecture/Engineering: Building structures, bridges, etc is a big plus when the infrastructure of a country goes south...

Small Arms (Rifle/Pistol): Using firearms, always useful!

Gunsmithing: Even rudimentry analysis of firearms problems and basic assembly of parts is a skill most folk don't have.

Persuasion: Always a useful skill when neogtating with military and civilian folk alike.

Spanish: Well you speak more Spanish than me!

Instruction: ALWAYS useful as there are plenty of people you could train on any of the above.

Music: People underestimate this skill but when the batteries die on your radio how else are you going to get music? A little thing like that goes a long way...

It's all about what would be in demand in Twilight stateside where a lot of us would be during 1996/1997 when the game history took place.

Until Later

TR

dawg180 09-27-2004, 03:12 PM Stateside 96/97 would have put me in sophmore year of college in the architecture program at U of I getting crushed by allnighters and taking small arms marksmanship MILSCI 113 as a 1 credit hour elective. I could field strip that M16 faster than anyone in the class (1 min. 46 seconds on my first try with 1 minute to get the damn handguards off- I would have made the drill team!) and was a damn good shot considering I had NEVER fired a firearm (SSGT Powell didn't believe me when I told him that).

Man, I would have been a combat engineer during the draft so fast my head would have spun!

Oh, and by T2K V2.2 rules my skills are pretty damn good with the attributes averaging out and all, but thanks for the confidence boost TR!

TR 09-27-2004, 09:44 PM Oh, and by T2K V2.2 rules my skills are pretty damn good with the attributes averaging out and all, but thanks for the confidence boost TR!

My pleasure... those with skills need not worry, most of us are jacks of all trades, know a little a bit about several but not all about one... sometimes it takes a different perspective to put things in perspective. In Twilight, most folk would fall into this category and a lot of communities would be like that to be honest.

Until Later

TR

TiggerCCW UK 09-29-2004, 03:42 AM Nice to see this is still getting replies. Any one out there who isn't on it? I never did publish stats for myself, so I'll give it a go now;

Str : 6

Agi : 4 - Reasonably agile, but I carry a couple of old injuries which can slow me down

Con : 4 - I'm in reasonable shape, but have asthma

Int : 7

Edu : 6

Cha : 8 - I can talk to anyone about anything and usually get away with it - comes from working as a bar man for too long.

Skills

Hunting Bow : 3 - I am a reasonable archer, and with a bit of practice could bring this up slightly higher

Heavy Weapons : 1 - I've done some work with the 66 LAW and .50

Melee Armed : 3 - I fenced in the All Ireland open a few times, but it was a long time ago

Melee Unarmed : 4 - I worked bars and doors for a long time and I can look after myself if I have to

Mechanic : 1 - I can change a tyre, check the oil etc

Pistol : 2 - never did a lot of pistol work

Rifle : 5 -I used to shoot a lot on a competitive basis, ranked 7th in NI, and worked as an NRA coach for a couple of summers

Thrown weapon : 2

Horsemanship : 1 I've ridden a few times and could probably put a saddle on a horse

Mountaineering : 5 I used to be a regular climber, but work gets in the way now

Swimming : 4 - I taught in a watersports centre for a while

Gunsmith : 1 - I can strip clean and repair weapons tha I am familiar with

Small Boat : 3 - See swimming

Stealth : 3 - I'm fairly quiet, but have to suppress sneezing fits at some really awkward moments

Wheeled Vehicle : 2 - Not much of a driver

Biology : 1 - Never really liked this at school

Chemistry : 2 - The only science I did like

Computer : 3 - Not too bad with computers, but don't ask me to programme them

Medical : 3 - I've been a qualified first aider for 15+ years, and have used it on many occasions - anything from burns to stab wounds

Instruction : 4 - I wanted to be a teacher for a long time, worked as a canoeing and sailing instructor, a shhoting coach and train people for my company

Language : French : 2 - I had some french customers last week and was able to understand them fairly well

Persuasion : 6 - See charisma

Fishing : 3 - I usually catch a few when I'm out

Navigation : 6 - I have a very good sense of direction and used to orienteer a lot

Observation : 4 - I'm pretty good at spotting things

Bit of a mixed bag there, its up to yourselves whether you think I'm an asset to the party or not.