RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 10-23-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bash View Post
How about we split the thread into two different ones. The group that is sure that all electronics in the universe are destroyed and impossible to build can have one thread. They can talk about walking back to the US from Poland or whatever. The other group can talk about the game impact of things like drones or maybe adventure ideas around them.

That way the "nothing works" crowd doesn't have to get all snarky and offended that other people aren't playing Twilight: 2000 BC.
Better still, how about we all try to follow the forum guidelines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raellus View Post
T2K Forum Guidelines

Keep It Civil

We can all agree to disagree but let's make sure to do so respectfully. No name-calling, sarcasm, or other childishness is appropriate or welcome here.

Please don't attempt to incite internecine forum conflict with deliberately provocative and/or inflamatory posts. In interweb parlance, please don't be a troll.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:53 AM

Of course the books specifically state EMP screwed up everything, INCLUDING items which were supposed to be shielded.

T2k is NOT the real world. The physics, while similar, are different. What we can expect to survive IRL did not in T2k. Again, this is stated in the game books!

The world is a mess. EVERYTHING is either destroyed, worn out or in very, very short supply. I really shouldn't have to be reminding people of this (again) as it's a core part of Twilight:2000!

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-23-2020, 06:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
Better still, how about we all try to follow the forum guidelines?
I agree and second the motion!
Old 10-23-2020, 06:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Of course the books specifically state EMP screwed up everything, INCLUDING items which were supposed to be shielded.

T2k is NOT the real world. The physics, while similar, are different. What we can expect to survive IRL did not in T2k. Again, this is stated in the game books!

The world is a mess. EVERYTHING is either destroyed, worn out or in very, very short supply. I really shouldn't have to be reminding people of this (again) as it's a core part of Twilight:2000!
No the books never said that. Sorry but there are working refineries and nuclear power stations and working military vehicles with electronics that are still working. As for short supply - the US is literally drowning in electronics and spare parts sitting in junk yards/repair yards/warehouses/etc. - a lot of which can be modified by the right people to either bring things back to life or jury rig it for other uses.

No that doesnt mean you can easily rewire the electronic village. Yes it does mean that you will see some interesting jury rigs/MacGyvers/A-Team "those idiots locked us up in a room with welding equipment" devices - for instance UAV's and drones - if you can get the right people and the spare parts they need together in the same place

FYI thats where Operation Reset comes from in Africa - i.e. there wont be any resupply from the US so they send out teams to find weapons, fuel, spare parts, electronics that could be used for other applications, etc. Obviously the same thing would be happening here in the US - I dont see the Colorado Springs govt or New America or CivGov just sitting on their butts and not sending out teams (i.e. the players) to get what is needed to keep their vehicles/planes/electronics/etc. going

and offers all kinds of ideas for salvage missions for GM's
Old 10-23-2020, 06:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernap View Post
Yes, but you will need oil and hyd fluid and other lubricating portions of P.O.L acronym. Without them then you will have an issue in keeping the engine and bearings in the flight controls or even the wheels lubricated. Allowing for the use of what it already out there. Processing what crude that is still recoverable from the ground into a lubrication or an oil will be difficult without a good chemical industry.
FYI that is being done - that is one thing that is in the books that while there is oil still being refined a lot of it has to go for lubrication and oil - and where you have military units intact - especially around Colorado Springs - you will have refining going on - the Robinson refinery only recently in the game had an accident that reduced its refining capability - but until then it would have been producing POL and other fluids - and thats just one refinery - they never said 100% of the refining capability was destroyed
Old 10-23-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:

All I can say about this, is we read the books very different. I do not get that from any of the books that I have read. So as far as I am concerned, based on my reading of the books, it is not a core part of twilight 2000. Twilight 2000 is more about being cut off from the chain of command, and government than a total lack of supplies. The way that I read it, everything is still available, not in the numbers that we are used to, but then again there are not the number of people that we are used to. Production is limited (and yes somethings are not being made anymore) but it is not a new dark ages like it seams that you are suggesting (and maybe I am reading you wrong).

So I guess what I am getting to is that it looks like there are very different ways people look at the same source material, and that is fine.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
All I can say about this, is we read the books very different.
I refer you to post #25 of this very thread and the bit I copied direction from the book where it states
Quote:
Control circuitry and electronic components of all types (in every type of industrial facility) were fried by the EMP (electromagnetic pulses) of nuclear detonations thousands of miles away (prewar predictions of EMP proved to be underestimates, and even supposedly shielded equipment was damaged to some extent).
Seems pretty damn clear to me and leaves very little to interpretation. Electronics were FRIED.
This happened THOUSANDS OF MILES from detonations.
Even shielded equipment was damaged.

How much clearer do you need?

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem
Old 10-23-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
EMP won't kill a diesel engine. Diesel engines don't require the electrical system that petrol/gasoline engines need. While the EMP might very well destroy any electronic ignition, military vehicles in particular have shielding to protect these things from EMP.
Most civilian aircraft will be protected from EMP as they must be capable of handling the impact of lightning strikes while in flight.
There's nothing magical about vehicles surviving EMP
I guess sarcasm doesn't translate to Australian. The magic EMP that destroys all electrical conductors and makes electronics impossible also allows Diesel engines to run on alcohol.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I refer you to post #25 of this very thread and the bit I copied direction from the book where it states
Seems pretty damn clear to me and leaves very little to interpretation. Electronics were FRIED.
This happened THOUSANDS OF MILES from detonations.
Even shielded equipment was damaged.

How much clearer do you need?
And yet per the rule book, you can have refrigerators (unshielded), Night Vision (very unshielded), and many other things that if that was truly the case you could not have at the start of the game. So that makes it not as clear as you think, and very open to interpretation.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:03 AM
Banned

Legbreaker wants to play Aftermath then he should play Aftermath. The rules state a lot of things - but they also state there are working vehicles that have electronic ignitions, working reactors (Colorado Springs, the USS Virginia), that there was power still being generated in the US in 1998 in places AFTER the TDM, that there are still jet aircraft flying (and that it was fuel and spare part issues not fried electrical systems that made the military park them), that there are missiles that still work, targeting systems, etc. that still work

In Germany - where there were a hell of a lot of nuke detonations - there is a reactor that is being put back online- which is pretty hard to do if all electronic systems were fried and gone for thousands of miles. Also France still has power as does Belgium - again very hard to do if all electrical systems for thousands of miles were fried.

And Great Britain managed to get power working again on their oil platforms to make them operational

And FYI Bash is right - the M88A1 and M88A2 - both vehicles that I was directly responsible for - have literally no electrical systems that can be fried by EMP except their radios. It would be the same with all kinds of older systems - i.e. that P-51 sitting at the airfield wouldnt be affected at all. Neither would that old Sherman tank. Or a car built before they used electronic ignitions. Or the systems that ran the power generators at Niagara Falls - all very old equipment that EMP would basically leave untouched.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Default Thread Lock Warning

Quote:
I guess sarcasm doesn't translate to Australian. The magic EMP that destroys all electrical conductors and makes electronics impossible also allows Diesel engines to run on alcohol.
(emphasis added)

This is why sarcasm is mentioned in the Keep it Civil Forum guideline (already posted in this thread by a moderator). Sarcasm often doesn't come across the playful, good-natured reparte that the author may intend. Also, most people don't enjoy sarcasm directed towards a serious comment that they made. At worst, sarcasm is intended, yet deniable, rudeness. I will not make a public judgment about the intent of the quoted material, but I know it came across to me, a neutral.

There's been some really helpful information shared in this thread. A lot of the discussion here has been quite constructive. I really don't want to lock this thread, but a few posters are apparently growing quite agitated. Please take a deep breath and remember that we are talking about a game- one that involves liberal doses of make-believe and play acting- before posting a response to something that rankles. If a member insists on continuing to willfully ignore forum guidelines, then a ban will be in order.

Admin.

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048

Last edited by Raellus; 10-23-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:36 AM

The book says some extent, not total darkness like revolution. However every GM is responsible for there own world. In mine I choose to limit the extent that players can get ahold of certain objects like a nuclear warhead. I have US military friends that when we talk about the game they will bring up points like tobyhanna isnt just a facility in Pennsylvania but that they have large stockpiles around the world, along with ammo dumps etc. I have that there some areas that are sitting on large stocks.

For example a port facility with enough equipment to say outfit 5000 men with BDUs and basic load equipment. The problem was that the transportation network broke down. so here is a few hundred soldiers and sailors living there life surviving off these supplies of mres or whatever they have because no one has shown up to use these supplies to help out, or they have gone rouge and they are building there own empire, or they died of disease and the quarintine signs and skeletal remains have scared everyone away so it remains untouched.

I have limited access to advanced electronic, I use the book rules for availability, and if its a successful role for said item i determine by what the item is how much is available. For example prc77 radio. This vender in the market has said item, its a small market so 1d6 tells me how many he has. Buyer beware as he sold you 4 and only 2 work properly as you didnt check it out before you left the shop. crooks are crooks after all.

Again its your world do what you want.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olefin View Post
No the books never said that.
Actually Howling Wilderness does say that. See the attached pic from my scanned copy of said supplement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAT View Post
And yet per the rule book, you can have refrigerators (unshielded), Night Vision (very unshielded), and many other things that if that was truly the case you could not have at the start of the game. So that makes it not as clear as you think, and very open to interpretation.
That is one of the major disconnects between what the rule books have said and what the supplements have followed up on with regards to what is and isn't there for the players and the GM to use. That is why some hand waving or going with some "Wizards did it" is required and it all depends on how hardcore you want to follow the rules and the canonical setting.

I mean most of my games, unless it was a major plot point in the campaign. We didn't think much about crunchier parts of the rule book about supplies or even survival since the rules crunching and book keeping can get complicated that way. Most of the TTRPGS that I have played, depending on the feel of the crowd and the attitude of the DM/GM, keep some or toss other rules unless it becomes a plot point to have dice thrown and the book keeping completed.

Quote:
FYI that is being done - that is one thing that is in the books that while there is oil still being refined a lot of it has to go for lubrication and oil - and where you have military units intact - especially around Colorado Springs - you will have refining going on - the Robinson refinery only recently in the game had an accident that reduced its refining capability - but until then it would have been producing POL and other fluids - and thats just one refinery - they never said 100% of the refining capability was destroyed
Granted that, still 1% of that will be going MilGov unless the GM in your game decides to have the 194th mutiny and go either independent or go CivGov. Still the prioritization list will be fuel to the food and to the tech that works (i.e trucks, jeeps, and farm vehicles) that guarantee that unit food and survival. A fanciful idea of getting a drone to work may not pay off or even if it does, the weighing of what percentage of POL produced will go to that project versus what is actually usable on the field. Yet, what is interesting is that the US Army Vehicle Guide which was published two years before Howling Wilderness, doesn't make mention of the refinery being in possession of the 194th and that its in Cairo. See the attached Google Map showing the current distance using the Interstate 57 is about 283 miles, using the older US Highway 45 is a straighter shot of about 184 miles. That is still a bunch of miles to try and travel. Which source is correct and accurate? That sort of question leads me on a tangent about GDW and their inability to have a canon bible for their products. So you will have to decide which is accurate or that the core of the 194th is in Cairo holding the river junction, while an element is holding the refinery and deciding whether to mutiny or is it the core is at the refinery and only an element is in cantonment at Cairo, IL.

At this point the discussion really seems to be about the fact that if your GM and your party want to have a drone. It should be allowed with the applicable hand waving of how to get the parts, fuel, maintenance items around. Recognizing that the Tw2K world isn't the same one we saw in the real life. The Tw2K timeline has allowed for technology that was just on paper when it was written or was just starting to enter prototype, but didn't make it past that point to enter full service in real life. With the respect to drones, they weren't popular in the 1980s except for targets and selected recon efforts by three letter intelligence agencies. It wasn't until post Kosovo where drones and the talk of them being used and the advances in the technology as we see now in the current wars overseas.
Attached Images

Last edited by Southernap; 10-23-2020 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old 10-23-2020, 12:31 PM
Banned

Well obviously GDW authors werent all talking to each other - i.e. if the EMP fried so much then why are there working vehicles that have electronic ignitions, working reactors (Colorado Springs, the USS Virginia), that there was power still being generated in the US in 1998 in places AFTER the TDM, that there are still jet aircraft flying (and that it was fuel and spare part issues not fried electrical systems that made the military park them), that there are missiles that still work, targeting systems, etc. that still work?

And the 194th isnt just at Cairo and Robinson - if you go by Challenge Magazine they are also sending in patrols deep into Ohio as well - and any EMP that fried communication systems would have probably fried the targeting systems on the M1 tanks.

Like I said GDW continuity errors between their various Twilight 2000 releases had enough plot holes to drive (literally) a Sherman tank thru (or Cromwell or Panther or T-34 for our friends in other countries) as a result.

However a nation almost devoid of working modern electrical devices - no that is definitely NOT what GDW describes - for one because several of their own releases contradict themselves on that. Not the least of which is Last Submarine - i.e. how did they refit her if most electronics were fried by EMP. The issues the sub had were with insufficient manning in the rest of the trilogy - not insufficient electronics to get her fitted out.

Oh and HW and I are not friends (shocker to those who have followed my posts) - Loren didnt really do a good job of explaining why no military unit in the US managed to grow in size when the only game in town to get fed in many areas is to join the army. Or where 41000 of the 43000 that got brought home from Europe went to. Or what happened to a hell of a lot of National Guard and Reservist units that would have definitely been mobilized long before. Or that fact that his timeline didnt work with at least two of released modules that preceded it - So I gave up a long time ago trying to apply logic to make sense of the multiple contradictions between HW and multiple previous releases. And then the 2nd edition came out and didnt mention New America or the HW/Kidnapped drought at all so not even sure for V2.2 if they even exist.

Last edited by Olefin; 10-23-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernap View Post
It wasn't until post Kosovo where drones and the talk of them being used and the advances in the technology as we see now in the current wars overseas.
Drones were used extensively for SEAD and recon missions in Desert Shield/Storm and Bosnia was the first major deployment for the RQ-9. This is only the modern style drones. The older FireBee and Chukar drones have been in use since the Vietnam war, pointed out in this very thread. Drones were established technology and well utilized by the Twilight war.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:25 PM
Registered Registrant

Quote:
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

Sarcasm doesn't translate to text very well, your ability to misunderstand that doesn't help your message.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:29 PM
Registered Registrant

I think much of this discussion really needs to be a separate thread. It covers much greater ground than the original concept of "drones in T2k" and seems to be intent on exploring those larger issues.

Last edited by StainlessSteelCynic; 10-23-2020 at 08:10 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-23-2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic View Post
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

Sarcasm doesn't translate to text very well, your ability to misunderstand that doesn't help your message.
Old 06-28-2021, 08:34 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaf_777 View Post
Carrier Pigeons
I would think that, at least for the SAR role, carrier pigeons would be replaced by UAVs, even in the T2K 2.2 timeline. A lot of the larger UAVs would have been shot down, but small reconnaissance drones would have survived into the 2000s.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 06-29-2021, 05:04 AM

Well, depending when your timeline deviates (1995 to 1997), UAVs were not in widespread use with most militaries. Besides target drones and artillery drones, which both ran pre-programed courses, there was basically just the RQ-2 Pioneer and the RQ-1 Predator (in order of appearance). The Russians/Soviets didn't even have that and use of these UAVs was basically limited to very few USAF squadrons.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus Maior View Post
Well, depending when your timeline deviates (1995 to 1997), UAVs were not in widespread use with most militaries. Besides target drones and artillery drones, which both ran pre-programed courses, there was basically just the RQ-2 Pioneer and the RQ-1 Predator (in order of appearance). The Russians/Soviets didn't even have that and use of these UAVs was basically limited to very few USAF squadrons.
There were more UAV's out there than you think - Israel had the IAI Scout and the Tadiran Mastiff. And the US was using drones for recon as early as the Vietnam War - and they werent target or artillery drones.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
There were more UAV's out there than you think - Israel had the IAI Scout and the Tadiran Mastiff. And the US was using drones for recon as early as the Vietnam War - and they werent target or artillery drones.
Were there more than I mentioned? Yes. Were they in widespread use? No, certainly not. You named the two prominent IDF examples, which played a role from the early 80s onwards. Yes, the Tadiran Mastiff was first flown in 1973, but that's not the same as an operational UAV that was fulfilling a defined role within the IDF.

With respect to the US: Were there non-artillery UAV in service with US armed forces before the RQ-1B predator? Certainly. Were they part of a unified strategy or available to battlefield commanders? Not so much. Yes, there were things like the QH-50 DASH, which aimed at naval ASW, but it performed significantly worse than contemporary helicopters and offered little in terms what we today think of as strength of UAVs, e. g. data links to other weapon systems of the (literal) mother ship, high endurance or range.

The DASH, while later equipped with TV-cameras, initially was a simpe radio controlled helicopter with a range of 71 nm and a cruising speed of just over 40 nm, that was used to lob two anemic Mk. 44 torpedoes into the vicinity of a detected 1960s submarine. While later a single Mk. 46 torpedo could be carried, its endurance of just one hour and missing sensors meant that it was nothing more than an instrument to bring a weapon into an area. Helicopters and ASROC missiles did and do the same. Other US drones before the RQ-2 were usually artillery drones or other reconnaissance drones, e. g. the Ryan Firebee or the D-21, which was a strategic recon drone and did not offer its capabilities to battlefield commanders. Also, drones of this age were not really featuring hardened electronics, so their use in post-nuclear warfare is uncertain.

Nothing of this arsenal would offer capabilities for SAR (i. e. 'search and rescue') to commanders in a T2K universe. Additionally, what SAR roles do we see in T2K at all? There are hardly pilots downed in that setting since airplanes are almost extinct and coordinated military actions are pretty much non-existent. So, what "small reconnaissance drones" would exist and for what purpose and who would (be able to) use them.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:29 PM

The RQ-2 (which entered service 9 years before the RQ-1) was common enough that during the first Gulf War at least one was in the air for the entirety of the war. It was originally a gunnery spotter, but evolved into reconnaissance and surveillance roles. With its IR camera it was used to patrol the border to locate troop concentrations, and it also collected map data for Tomahawks to use.

On the smaller end of Desert Storm-era drones were the Exdrone (now BQM-147 Dragon) and the FQM-151 Pointer, which was very short-ranged but also easily man-portable at just 9 pounds of weight. The Pointer would continue to see use up through the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

By the mid-90s, there were the handful of RQ-5 Hunters and the introduction of the Predator. 1998 saw the RQ-4 Global Hawk enter service, selected over the RQ-3 Dark Star because range and payload were picked over stealth.

For non-American drones, I know of a pair that were used in the first Gulf War - Canada's Canadair CL-89 (used as the Midge by the British) and France's Altec MART.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.
Old 06-29-2021, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespers War View Post
The RQ-2 (which entered service 9 years before the RQ-1) was common enough that during the first Gulf War at least one was in the air for the entirety of the war. It was originally a gunnery spotter, but evolved into reconnaissance and surveillance roles. With its IR camera it was used to patrol the border to locate troop concentrations, and it also collected map data for Tomahawks to use.

On the smaller end of Desert Storm-era drones were the Exdrone (now BQM-147 Dragon) and the FQM-151 Pointer, which was very short-ranged but also easily man-portable at just 9 pounds of weight. The Pointer would continue to see use up through the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

By the mid-90s, there were the handful of RQ-5 Hunters and the introduction of the Predator. 1998 saw the RQ-4 Global Hawk enter service, selected over the RQ-3 Dark Star because range and payload were picked over stealth.

For non-American drones, I know of a pair that were used in the first Gulf War - Canada's Canadair CL-89 (used as the Midge by the British) and France's Altec MART.
And given the war start you can bet the Global Hawk would have had its development and deployment pushed forward - meaning it would have probably been in service in 1996-1997 before the TDM.

FYI if we are going to discuss drones they should be in a different thread.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:35 AM

Quote:
By the mid-90s, there were the handful of [...]
And that's exactly my point. Drones as we know them today were available as "handfulls", their electronics were not as hardened as that of jets and their use in combat after the nukes would have gone off are highly questionable, as is the ability of the US, Israel and comparable nations to further produce them, especially for the use of SAR. And that was the starting point of the discussion.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
And that's exactly my point. Drones as we know them today were available as "handfulls", their electronics were not as hardened as that of jets and their use in combat after the nukes would have gone off are highly questionable, as is the ability of the US, Israel and comparable nations to further produce them, especially for the use of SAR. And that was the starting point of the discussion.
I would say if anything the US and other countries would use their scarce resources even more to keep them going after the TDM - for one not all electronics are fried and there would be a lot you can salvage that would still be useable - and the drones and UAV's are a hell of a lot more attractive in a low fuel situation than manned jets are. Plus they can operate from places that most planes (sans the A-10 or Harrier) cant use
Old 06-30-2021, 02:46 PM

For the hand-launched Pointer, the number bought was small because it was quickly superseded by improved versions. The 50 Pointers (full production deliveries starting in 1990) were replaced by RQ-11 Ravens (originally an FQM-151 upgrade in 1999, officially introduced in 2003) and RQ-20 Pumas (2008), which had production numbers in the thousands (Puma) to tens of thousands (Raven). A timeline where that development was cut short by war would have seen resources diverted to production of what was available at the time (Pointer). Even a primitive drone like that would be useful for short-distance recon (the control station's range was ~5 miles), particularly since it could carry an infrared camera.

I also found a report from 2003 discussing all the American drones that had been deployed since 1991. By first use in a combat theater:
RQ-2 Pioneer - 1991
FQM-151 Pointer - 1991
RQ-1 Predator - 1995
RQ-5 Hunter - 1999
MQ-1 Predator - 2001
RQ-4 Global Hawk - 2001
RQ-14 Dragon Eye - 2003
Desert Hawk - 2003
RQ-7 Shadow - 2003

Depending on when one sets their Twilight War will help with figuring out which drones would be most available.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:53 AM

Hm, I admit, I did not have the Pointer on my radar (cheap pun, sorry for that). That I could see work in T2K fairly well. The rest remains rather unlikely to me. Even a Predator needs (remote) pilots and technicians. Once the armed forces start pulling all non-essential personnel into the combat troops, after those have been hemorrhaged by nukes, I don't see enough qualified personnel to keep drones of that size flying. Not to mention production of spare parts, training new personnel, replacing specialized tools etc.

A civilian sportsplane or a O-2 Skymaster (or similar) I see much more likely than UAVs as they are much easier to service, spare parts are ubiquitous or can be build in a electronic-free environment and comparable types of planes and thus capale pilots were widely available. Also, such aircraft are multi-mission capable: transport, CAS, recon, FAC, liason, all within body. Sure, range is less than with some UAV, but since there is hardly military left with reach and range beyond operational level, your regular civilian sports plane will more than suffice.
Old 07-01-2021, 01:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hm, I admit, I did not have the Pointer on my radar (cheap pun, sorry for that). That I could see work in T2K fairly well. The rest remains rather unlikely to me. Even a Predator needs (remote) pilots and technicians. Once the armed forces start pulling all non-essential personnel into the combat troops, after those have been hemorrhaged by nukes, I don't see enough qualified personnel to keep drones of that size flying. Not to mention production of spare parts, training new personnel, replacing specialized tools etc.

A civilian sportsplane or a O-2 Skymaster (or similar) I see much more likely than UAVs as they are much easier to service, spare parts are ubiquitous or can be build in a electronic-free environment and comparable types of planes and thus capale pilots were widely available. Also, such aircraft are multi-mission capable: transport, CAS, recon, FAC, liason, all within body. Sure, range is less than with some UAV, but since there is hardly military left with reach and range beyond operational level, your regular civilian sports plane will more than suffice.
Keep in mind that in certain places - Kenya, Korea and the Middle East - the US military is still very much a going concern - there is where you will probably find working drones and UAV's and the techs to keep them going
Old 07-02-2021, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind that in certain places - Kenya, Korea and the Middle East - the US military is still very much a going concern - there is where you will probably find working drones and UAV's and the techs to keep them going
But drones and UAVs would not be of the kind we have in present time i asume.