RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default Looks as 2nd ID will be one Brigade posted in Korea.

Abbott Shaull 06-07-2004, 09:49 AM It looks after the 2nd Brigade of 2nd ID may be re-deployed to a new home after it Iraqi rotation. With the US now announcing it reducing it force there by a third. It continues along the same lines that many in the Pentagon wouldn't say where the Brigade would be posted once it tour in Iraq was finish. Leaving a vague hint that the US was using this as a way to help in up coming troop withdraws from Korea. Interesting...

Abbott

antimedic 06-07-2004, 02:33 PM What division was withdrawn from Korea in the 1970s'? I saw something about that the other day, but the unit was not identified in the piece.

Abbott Shaull 06-07-2004, 10:52 PM Good question... Or was it a case of Division being reflagged?

I wonder if Fred would remember?

Abbott

graebarde 06-08-2004, 10:24 AM Yes as a matter of fact I DO remember, as I was IN the division that was demobilized at the time, and sent HOME, leaving ME stranded with the reinforeced platoon on a fkn missle battery as a rifle security detachment. We REALLY became the bastard child then.

The division in question was the 7th ID (Bayonets) (also called the hour glass).

A Co. 2-32 Inf, 7ID

graebarde 06-08-2004, 10:25 AM opps it was spring of 71 IIRC

graebarde 06-08-2004, 10:29 AM NOw if I could get my thoughts together BEFORE I send.

The comment above about reducing by 1/3 is WRONG, as there are only TWO brigades of 2ID in ROK. The third divisional brigade is at Ft Lewis WA, and has been for several years. So sending a brigade form ROK leaves ONE brigade in country with divisional, corps, and army troops. Hell just pull them all out. It's notr 1950 any more, and the ROK has one hell of an armed forces now. The ONLY reason IMHO we are still there is to keep ROK from starting the war, not to protect them from the NK.

Abbott Shaull 06-08-2004, 10:07 PM Yes I know there is only two Combat Brigade assigned to the 2nd ID in Korea, but the news release was talking staffing across board for the. For the US Army it roughly translate to one Brigade.

Well I think it is mistake myself, but then again reducing our forces as we did in the 90s was a mistake that we some how have a hard time accepting. It just amazing that if you look at the realities that were in place twelve months ago when it looked if anything we may have to reinforce the 2nd ID that now they are reducing it and nothing has really change. Except for maybe North Korea appears to be more willing to talk.IMHO.

The 7th ID... hmmm.... Well that makes sense, but don't remember that part of their history. They get demobilized to be brought back to life in the 80s along with the 10th Mountain.

Abbott.