RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 09-21-2021, 07:51 PM

Default Underground Bunkers

Anyone have any cool maps or ideas beyond Allegheny uprising for equipment you would find in one of these?

Im trying to come up with an older 70s 80s style military storage bunker thats been used as a dumping ground.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:53 AM

One thing to really consider is closed military bases. Some were all but just padlocked and turned over to local authorities, but some of the outlying sites were left alone. Prime example is some of the Nike SAM sites, which still had functioning generators when the military left.

You might want to have a base in a fallout zone. By 2000, probably safe, but bet most avoid it like the plague.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:52 AM

I'm having a comprehension fail but if your PCs are in Europe you can use Second World War plans as these are perfectly functional designs, just cover exposed concrete with earth mounds and what you can have chain link or slat armour burster armour.

I have a copy of "Civil Defence in Poland" by the CIA, it should be available online as it's declassified but I can't post images out of it on here. However I have posted them over on the Facebook page if you'd like to get them there.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:26 AM

You also might look up the old SW Bell communication bunkers.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:42 PM

There's also the small ROC bunkers from the UK.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:29 PM

A now deceased friend told of COG sites from the 50's in the subways and sewers of NYC that were closed in the 90's, these had weapons and he helped secure them for wherever Thompsons, BARs, M1's(rifles and carbines) and M1911A1's go, likely the Alabama Arsenal storage. In the Twilight original V1-2.2, these would remain or be expanded like in Allegheny Uprising. I imagine similiar places all over the Eastern seaboard existed.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:46 PM

Not bunkers per se but many of the DEB installations utilized fairly extensive underground facilities with just a communications tower above ground. Also, bases usually had a collection of Tab-Vees which could easily be used for storage once the aircraft or transporter/erectors are gone.

Closer to home, I have two (2) sets of general plans for Bldg 500 and 501 at Offutt AFB, one circa 1960s (JPEGs) and the other circa mid-1990s (TIFs). If anyone is interested, PM me and I’ll be happy to share.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:15 AM

Not a military bunker but what could be under that 'abandoned' house the group took shelter in...

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/15/man-f...b-global-en-GB

and...

https://metro.co.uk/2021/09/01/londo...ore_text_links
Old 09-23-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Mariner View Post
Closer to home, I have two (2) sets of general plans for Bldg 500 and 501 at Offutt AFB, one circa 1960s (JPEGs) and the other circa mid-1990s (TIFs). If anyone is interested, PM me and I’ll be happy to share.
Copy-paste fail left off the fact that 500 was HQ SAC and 501 was the SAC underground command center.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:24 PM

desert mariner that would cool to look over as Ive also been trying to bo a thing for a sac base and that would help.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:29 AM

I've been thinking about my experiences at McGuire AFB and New Orleans JRB.

McGuire was formally host to a F-106 ADC unit. Near the ammo storage area there were a number of badly overgrown munition storage igloos that were originally used to house AIM-4 missiles and Genie rockets. I never went in one, but they were mostly forgotten and completely intact. They were difficult to see even if you knew where to look. They really looked like small hills till you were about 30 meters away.

At New Orleans, the WWII era runway was mostly abandoned. It was nominally maintained to ensure it did not just decay away, but any care was minimal. I was told there were a few bunkers off to the sides in the wooded area on the periphery, but never went exploring.

Where geographically are looking to have this located?
Old 09-24-2021, 08:35 AM

i need one for new jersey and one in Louisiana.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:25 PM

ok. The abandoned munition igloos are ideal I think at McGuire or New Orleans JRB. They were fairly large. Can easily hold a vehicle or two. Plans for early Cold War/WWII USAF munition bunkers should be on line
Old 09-24-2021, 03:28 PM

Camp Beauregard and Alexandria AFB would be a couple of other good places. A lot of Beauregard was abandoned from WWII days, and I played in one of those abandoned places as a teen. Very forgotten but could get there on a bike or 4 wheeler.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:18 PM

For New Jersey, there's Battery 223, an abandoned WW2 coast defense bunker at Cape May Point, along with two munitions bunkers at the southwest side of Sandy Hook. Last year, the town of Woolwich put a Nike missile site up for sale that covers 33 acres and has some very decrepit structures still on-site. Any of those could have ended up being used during the Twilight War to put things out of sight for later recovery.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:24 AM

I wonder what was stocked in here? And who in T2K used it?

Then there was the Hotel above...

The Greenbrier Bunker.
https://www.atomicheritage.org/histo...enbrier-bunker

"Among other interesting features, the bunker’s power room includes a “pathological waste incinerator” designed to cremate bodies. The Congressional Record Room, in addition to holding files, houses the only weapons in the facility: a relatively modest collection of rifles, pistols, nightsticks, and helmets - essentially riot gear. The bunker also has a hospital, operating room, and pharmacy, which once kept a plentiful supply of antidepressants. According to journalist Paul Lieberman, the bunker maintained “a tiny jail with two boxes of straitjackets” just in case “congressmen went bonkers”."

https://www.re-thinkingthefuture.com...und-the-world/
Old 09-25-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
I wonder what was stocked in here? And who in T2K used it?

Then there was the Hotel above...

The Greenbrier Bunker.
https://www.atomicheritage.org/histo...enbrier-bunker

"Among other interesting features, the bunker’s power room includes a “pathological waste incinerator” designed to cremate bodies. The Congressional Record Room, in addition to holding files, houses the only weapons in the facility: a relatively modest collection of rifles, pistols, nightsticks, and helmets - essentially riot gear. The bunker also has a hospital, operating room, and pharmacy, which once kept a plentiful supply of antidepressants. According to journalist Paul Lieberman, the bunker maintained “a tiny jail with two boxes of straitjackets” just in case “congressmen went bonkers”."

https://www.re-thinkingthefuture.com...und-the-world/
The Greenbrier gets some discussion in the book Raven Rock, along with Mount Weather and the eponymous COG site. One of the bits that caught my attention was that among the other artifacts scheduled for evacuation in the event of the fecal matter hitting the rotary impeller device, the Liberty Bell was supposed to be moved somewhere. I asked the author, and he'd only found references to it moving, not where it was supposed to go. So, there's a nice little open-ended hook for PC parties to get tasked with tracking down where the Bell ended up and acquiring it as a symbol for whichever faction they're working for.

The Vespers War - Ninety years before the Twilight War, there was the Vespers War.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:29 AM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

My idea
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespers War View Post
... the Liberty Bell was supposed to be moved somewhere. I asked the author, and he'd only found references to it moving, not where it was supposed to go. So, there's a nice little open-ended hook for PC parties to get tasked with tracking down where the Bell ended up and acquiring it as a symbol for whichever faction they're working for.
In England it could be a team tasked with finding one of the four remaining Magna Cartas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Carta
"Location: 2 at The British Library; 1 at Lincoln Castle and Salisbury Cathedral".

In The USA... The Declaration of Indepemdance? What happened to it, and the team, taking it to 'safety' ... or if they made it has it vanished from 'the safe place'?

Off-thread but anyone from other countries, or with knowledge of them, able to suggest any other similar items?
Old 09-26-2021, 11:41 AM
This Sourcebook Kills Fascists

I recently wandered down the Wikipedia rabbit hole of Chinese WMD programs and learned of the reputedly-vast underground tunnel complex China uses to move its ICBMs around. That further drills down to the pages for the Project 816 underground nuke production facility, the Project 131 command bunker, and Beijing's "Underground City" bunker complex-turned-tourist attraction.

- C.

Author of The Pacific Northwest, coauthor of Tara Romaneasca, creator of several other free Twilight: 2000 and Twilight: 2013 resources, and curator of an intermittent gaming blog.

It rarely takes more than a page to recognize that you're in the presence of someone who can write, but it only takes a sentence to know you're dealing with someone who can't.
- Josh Olson
Old 09-26-2021, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
In England it could be a team tasked with finding one of the four remaining Magna Cartas. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magna_Carta
"Location: 2 at The British Library; 1 at Lincoln Castle and Salisbury Cathedral".

In The USA... The Declaration of Indepemdance? What happened to it, and the team, taking it to 'safety' ... or if they made it has it vanished from 'the safe place'?

Off-thread but anyone from other countries, or with knowledge of them, able to suggest any other similar items?
The Charters (the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of Independence) were supposed to be evacuated by helicopter if their nuclear bomb-proof vault was considered at risk, probably to Mount Weather (the exact plan is, AFAIK, still classified, but Mount Weather is the closest known COG site). The most likely area for the documents to wind up is fairly close to the area from Kidnapped, which lends itself to a bit of overlap if New America is responsible for the disappearance of the Charters, either through an assault on the team or safe place, or through the removal team being New America agents.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:42 PM

For Eastern Europe games this page is pretty useful. I would think the Granit-style bunker would be the sort characters in Poland would find. I'd assume that if they weren't destroyed early in the war their warheads/PELs would have been removed but then be reused for supply caches. While the pictures show the bunkers without doors, originally they had heavy blast resistant doors on either end of the tunnel. They were also hidden in forests and out of the way places. In the aftermath of TDM they could easily get lost and/or be left undiscovered until the PCs find them.

Storage bunkers in the US are going to be similar, half-tubes with a rectangular plan and a heavy door on at least one end. Then covered over with a bit of earth so it looks like just a mound from a distance. The width and height should be enough to fit at least one tractor and trailer. Inside might be trailer vans, ISO containers, or just shelves and pallets.

As for content possibilities:
  • Pallet of ammo boxes (5.56 N, 7.62 S, or whatever region appropriate)
  • Pallet of freeze dried food (camping food) in a variety of options. Package dates are all pre-TDM.
  • Business band radios with cases of spare batteries.
  • Several cases of canned vegetables and fruits. The cans are in good shape and all the seals are intact.
  • Boxes of civilian outdoor clothes including boots, socks, and winter parkas.
  • Several 1000 liter tanks of clean water.
  • A pallet of mixed trade items (cigarettes, candy, liquor).
  • Several boxes of code books, maps, and other useful Intel on the major OPFOR.
  • Coded documents and maps leading to something (other caches?!?)
Old 09-27-2021, 03:49 AM

I've got some Atlas silo plans on my drive, is there any image storage I can put them for people?
Old 09-27-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffhound79 View Post
Louisiana would have to be an above ground facility, it's too low and too wet for below ground.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffhound79 View Post
New Jersey
Picatinny Arsenal.
Naval Weapons Station Earle.
Naval Air Engineering Station Lakehurst.

Louisiana
The Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant.
England Air Force Base was home to an A-10 wing.
Fort Polk, original home of the 5th ID.
Just outside of New Orleans is NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility.

Texas
Not Louisiana, but just over the state line in Karnack, TX is the Longhorn Army Ammunition Plant. It's not too far from the Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant.
A bit to the north and just west of Texarkana is the Lone Star Army Ammunition Plant and the Red River Army Depot.
Also just over the state line along the Gulf Coast is the Beaumont Reserve Fleet. Maybe a WW2 vintage ship that can't put to sea is still useful for storage? Or perhaps someone started to fit out a cargo ship as a mobile C3/emergency storage point?
Old 10-22-2021, 09:07 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

I've found a couple hundred (well, over 1300) potential sites. Some (especially in the UK, USSR and Pact countries) are actual strategic stockpile locations, but others are simply an extension of the categories used historically (salt and gypsum mines and abandoned munitions plants) and other locations that match the potential locations in Allegheny Uprising - abandoned road and rail tunnels (I used a criteria of over 1000 feet in length) and commercial/tourist caves and mines.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...vQ&usp=sharing
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 10-25-2021, 10:43 AM

For Philly, use the IRL NYC example and place them in the water and sewer systems. The Dements or the Red Plague zombies of the Korean Sourcebook and marauder gangs can make it a real challenge. 1st ED stated Philly had 15,000 Dements and a couple hundred normal survivors.
Old 01-19-2024, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Default Missouri Bunker for Sale

For a CONUS campaign, I just learned about a series of bunkers constructed in the 1960s to protect the AT&T L-Carrier Cable Network, securing coast-to-coast telephone and TV comms.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...i-can-be-yours

https://www.saltriverproperties.com/...65275/1047712/

If you've got the dough and are looking to relocating to the Midwest, you can buy this 8,300 square foot underground bunker for a mere $430,000 (some reno required).

-
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 01-19-2024, 04:13 PM

For Louisiana, you’ve got Camp Claiborne (Forest Hill) and Camp Livingston (Ball) located SW and NE of Alexandria. Close enough to England AFB to use the runways there, land belonged to the forest service but was the site of WW2 training camps, close to Camp Beauregard as well. LAAP has bunkers, etc, but I’d expect Camp Minden would end up as a draw for refugees fleeing Shreveport, which could jeopardize that cache.

If you’re willing to go to Mississippi, Stennis Space Center has an incredible density of federal facilities, and in T2K would host the Mississippi Army Ammunition Plant (idled in OTL 90s but likely making ICM and grenades in T2K). The Pearl River WMA abuts the facility, and together they offer a relatively large amount of land (14k acres of developed site and 125k acre buffer/training area). Stents has a dual use civ/mil airfield, a rail spur (ripped up OTL), is close to I-10 and I-59, and connects to the ICW by a lock and dam on the Pearl River. It’s not an area a lot of folks would flee to, and it’s separated from Slidell (first stop for many fleeing NOLA) by the Pearl River, which is really a large swampy delta at that point; complete with alligators and bull sharks. If you’ve seen “Act of Valor”, the hostage rescue and SWCC scenes were filmed at Stennis. There’s great hunting in the WMA and on Stennis, but be ready to imagine yourself in a setting that will make you feel like you’re in “Southern Comfort”.

If you want to introduce some difficulty I’m going to offer up three other possible locations in LA.

1. Peason Ridge Training Area. This is/was a live fire range and impact area for 5ID and Fort Polk, located on relatively high ground off LA117 between Fort Polk and Natchitoches. Circa late 90s there was very little in the way of structures, mainly a range control complex, trench complexes, and Mout Village (with a tunnel complex) and some leftover buildings from its use as “Tigerland” during Vietnam. Being a range, there was always construction going on, which is a good cover for building your storage area. Plus, the area is high enough to dig down and not hit water. Add in the fact that it’s off natural lines of drift for refugees fleeing major cities. It is relatively close to the Texas Border at Toledo Bend, so you could introduce a Texian Legion raiding party or even a larger unit operating in the Sabine valley no man’s land as an antagonist.

2. Nike Site Bellevue. Off Bodcau Dam Road NE of Shreveport/Bossier. Site buildings still extant and used by Bossier Parish while the above ground launch area is used as a range complex by Bossier City PD and other LE agencies. Still in good repair. Maybe hidden by the cover story of TIC/fallout from the Shreveport strikes (even though it was an airburst, that may give it away to knowledgeable characters). If Barksdale remains garrisoned, this is really close, but it’s northern LA, which moves to its own drum even in normal times.

3. Nike Site Stonewall. West of Shreveport off the appropriately named Missile Base Road! Not much left. However, LSU has reused the land to build a medical research facility, which has traditionally focused on animal research. No signs or anything when you drive by here, was an unmarked turn on a poorly maintained road with a guard post. Entire complex is wooded. Not a buried site (Red River Valley is too wet for that), but hidden in plain sight, easy to spread the rumor of a biowarfare experiment, etc. This is on the far side of the Red River and of the Shreveport impact area from Barksdale. Very close to the Texas line, and easy to have Texian Legion patrolling/garrisoning the area akin to the Zone Morte.

Enjoy

Last edited by Homer; 01-19-2024 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:54 AM

Location: district of Heinsberg (close to the border with the Netherlands)

I remember that the old base of the FKG 2 in Geilenkirchen-Niederheid had in the basement of the buildings some sort of separate rooms with NBC doors.
If the base would have been hit, they would have offered nearly no protection but as much as I remember the FKG 2 should have been deployed by the time the missiles were flying.

Personally I only saw such a room on my first days on the base and I was of 2. Squadron and we were in the old buildings, so I assume that all the old buildings had such rooms.

If you go to Google Earth then look for the Canadian Forces Medical Center. To the left you see four long buildings at a curved street. These were the new buildings, where the 3rd and 4th Squadron were stationed. If they had such rooms with those doors, I dont know.
If you look to the right of the Terry Fox Halle you find two long buildings. These were the buildings (old ones). In them were (the top one) the Staff Squadron of the Mission Group (the 4 Squadrons of this Group had the missiles) and (below) the Staff Squadron of the Support Group (they were resonsible for Supply and reserve manpower and other things).

The FKG 2 also had a QRA site and even though I visited that site I saw only a small part of the inside of the german building.
The mess building and the US building I just saw from the outside.
There is no Wikipedia site about it but if you enter "QRA Arsbeck" in Google Earth and go back to 12/2005 then you can find it. The long building on the left is the German building, the middle one is the Mess and the right is the US building.

Now for the higher up:

In West Germany we had the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Govern...unker_(Germany)
If you switch to the german site they even have geo-coordinates and more pictures.

East Germany had two sites:
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunker_Komplex_5000 (german only)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harnekop_Nuclear_Bunker