RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 12-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Default "The New Russians"

I’m reading an old book that is proving to be a splendid resource for the Danilov regime of 1989-1996. “The New Russians” by Hedrick Smith came out in 1990. I bought it at the local library used book sale in 2003. It sat unread in my library until a couple of months ago. I have started a campaign to read all of my unread books in an effort to a) justify getting new books and b) get old books I won’t read again out of my library. “The New Russians”, though, is a book I’m going to have to keep.

Smith discusses at length many of the factors that Gorbachev tried to tackle in the late 1980’s. He discusses many of the particulars of the Soviet agricultural and industrial systems. He discusses many of the political factors that would make it impossible for Danilov to roll back the clock completely. I have a lot of new ideas for how specifically Danilov changes the way the Soviet economy works. I recommend “The New Russians”, though I should point out that it’s a 400 page hard cover book.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Erstwhile Gamer

Sounds both daunting and fascinating. Guess that makes me a geek.

No, what makes me a geek is wanting to modify some strategy game scenarios to start you off as Danilov, or applying that info to a T2k/Merc campaign.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:54 PM

I shall have to look for that, I read his earlier one.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
I’m reading an old book that is proving to be a splendid resource for the Danilov regime of 1989-1996.
Are you planning a new document of the Danilov Government (to be used as a pair with Black winter)? or do you just mean in general?

Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:51 AM

I've been thinking about updating my material on the Danilov regime. Just toying with the idea so far. So many other things need doing. However, knowing more about the specifics of certain arrangements in the late Soviet Union gives me ideas for how the Danilov reforms might have taken shape.