RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-20-2009, 04:03 AM

Default TW2000 Ver 1 Question: Coolness Increase?

Howdy all,

A quick question: has anyone come across rules (canon or House Rules) for the increase of Coolness in the version 1 rules through experience? Thanks for any input!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:48 AM

I don't know of any offhand.

I do remember that Cool is a function of, among other things, time in combat divided by 10. If you keep that standard Cool should go down by a point every year or so.

You could allow a check every, say, 10 firefights? If you roll under your current Cool on a d10 you take a point off. This would make progress slow and slower yet the more experienced you get.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:15 AM

The Players Handbook page 5/6 gives the CUF formula as ((months in combat) / 10 + D6) - 10.

So each 10 months your CUF could decrease by 1 as per the formula.

Or each 10 months you could take your time in combat divide by 10 (same as above, you should have improved by 1) and re-roll the D6. If CUF goes down you've improved over time. If CUF goes up then your PC is getting old, the shakes, and loosing his edge.

I'd say 10 months is too long however, and maybe do it each month or 10 firefights or whatever suits.

I have no problem with a CUF getting worse. The idea only just occurred to me. But you often see characters loose their edge, become unreliable etc and i think its a great possibility.

Even offer the PCs a choice. Roll the D6 and perhaps improve CUF ... or maybe take a step backwards.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:56 AM

I dont think there is any official v1 rule for coolness changing past initial char creation. I didnt find anything when I searched previously.

In my campaign, I realised after the chars had spent months of intensive combat in Poland that it would warrant more than much of their previous service. As such, I basically award a 1pt gain in coolness at the end of any heavy fighting string of scenarios - this would amount to 12+ significant firefights I guess.

Whilst I understand the chance of deterioration is a fair point logically - it would be harsh on players unless they understood these rules were in place at the start of the campaign.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 AM
The Stat Guy

I used to handle it like other skills -- an experience point for each heavy firefight (of course, as GM I got to decide what was a heavy firefight), or a month of accumulated smaller fights.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com

Tags
rules