RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 07-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Uniquely Maladjusted User

Send a message via AIM to Pfc SAFU Send a message via Yahoo to Pfc SAFU
Default Korea Ideas

Anyone want to toss in ideas for a Korea conflict? I got a few friends we going V1 with it. Like we never played before. I even got my old minitanks out as aids....... Start old school 4 of these guys are T2k rookies. Ex 40k guys

My thing was They shot Bill Gates. Not dead but started a issue. Now with the cyber attacks was thinking. Bill was the Key to RESET. All input wanted. What does the DMZ look like in 6 months?

Hmmmmmmmmmm
Pfc SAFU
AKA Dave
Old 07-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

I just finished working up the start of the war strengths & locations for both the RoK and DPRK. There's a TON of units - 58 divisions, 60 bridgades/regiments and 47 artillery brigades/regiments for the North, 50 Divisions, 66 brigades/regiments for the RoK. 8th Army, by contrast, looks tiny with 8 divisions and a few independent brigades! The Soviet Yalu Front features the Bulgarian 11th Tank Brigade, the Soviet 21st GTD, 6 MRDs and the 83rd Air Assault Brigade, under the command of the 30th and 35th Armies.

So most of the forces will be Korean, and it's going to be ugly!

I just re-read Red Phoenix for inspiration and am thinking of breaking out 38 North Yankee to get a more realistic infantry-level view of the ugliness.

By late 2000-early 2001 I think things in Korea have pretty much ground to a halt and the Korean people are tired of having Yankee troops occupying their land. In the thread on the recovery plan I detail the evacuation of 8th Army to CENTCOM.

(edit kato13 : added link to recovery thread)
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Last edited by kato13; 07-09-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I had a game on the yahoo groups that never started. My idea was similiar to Korea 1.0

A company that could musted about a squad of fit troops manning key points on a hill top position of bunkers connected by trenches. All armed with the fastest firing weapons they can muster but with limited ammo and they will be worrying about reinforcements and supply.

The game will begin as the PCs sit in their positions waiting for IT!

"IT" being either an attack by the North Korean troops and their Allies the ChiComs and Russians or reinforcement before the attack comes. The one thing that is certain is an attack will come!

Oh yeah, rations are short and so is fuel and it is COLD!!!!!

Oh yeah, and SMELLY!

And that is what my campaign should it ever get life is all about. And the premis is that one hill top will be much like the next.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:17 PM

You may also want to read Proud Legions by John Antal. It's a good modern Korea war story
Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

There is almost no canon information on Korea

Here are the units located on the Korean peninsula. Gathered from the vehicle guides.

North Korea (Assumed as it only says Korea)

Soviet 38th Motorized Rifle Division
Men: 2000
AFVs: 10

Soviet 173rd Motorized Rifle Division
Men: 1000
AFVs: 8

Soviet 194th Motorized Rifle Division
Men: 200
AFVs: 1

South Korea (Assumption again)
US 26th Infantry Division (Light)
Men: 5000
AFVs: 13 LAV-75

US 4th Marine Division -23rd Regiment
Men: 400
AFVs: 7 M60A3

US 5th Marine Division
AFVs: 9 M60A3

US 6th Marine Division - 16th Regiment
Men: 600
AFVs: 4 M60A3

US 7th Infantry Division (Light)

US 45th Infantry Division

US 2nd Infantry Division
AFVs: 4 M1

US 25th Infantry Division (Light)

US 41st Infantry Division

US 163rd Armored Cavalry Regiment
Men: 300
AFVs: 4 LAV-75

I would guess the DPRK and ROK would provide 20 times as many units.

Last edited by kato13; 07-09-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM

I have thought for a long time that it is surprising no Korean supplement was published by GDW. It would not surprise me at all if one had been planned but was never published. Such a pity that the T2K material GDW had waiting for publishing wasn't released to the public after the company ceased trading.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan
I have thought for a long time that it is surprising no Korean supplement was published by GDW. It would not surprise me at all if one had been planned but was never published. Such a pity that the T2K material GDW had waiting for publishing wasn't released to the public after the company ceased trading.
I think you're right...I''m pretty sure a Korea sourcebook was amongst the things GDW were working on at the time they stopped trading.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Six View Post
I''m pretty sure a Korea sourcebook was amongst the things GDW were working on at the time they stopped trading.
I wonder if anyone can shed any light on this? I believe we have one or two of the original team floating about?

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem

Last edited by Legbreaker; 12-28-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:48 AM

interestingly enough im trying to put together a 1.0 game set on the penninsula.
big reason for this being everyone in my unit right now knows korea better than europe so it makes a good bit of sense.course im gonna be a little evil regarding the types of characters(you character is the same rank/MOS as the player)
my problem is getting maps for it and inventing the timeline a bit.
the best course of action when all is against you is to slow down and think critically about the situation. this way you are not blindly rushing into an ambush and your mind is doing something useful rather than getting you killed.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Default Civilian Casualties

It's already well documented that, IRL, food and fuel shortages are pretty much a daily reality for most DPRK civilians.

Working off of the events described in the v1.0 history (DPRK invasion of the ROK in November of 1996, a U.S./ROK general offensive reaching the Yalu River during the summer of 1997, and a Soviet-led counteroffensive starting in August '97; nuclear strikes on Chinese, U.S., and ROK forces in northern Korea; general retreat of U.S./ROK forces back to the "middle of the country"), what would a realistic civilian die-off number or percentage be? I assume the PKA would employ a scorched earth policy during their retreat towards the Yalu.

Would 5 million dead due to starvation, exposure, and related maladies be realistic? (the DPRK has a population estimated at 25 million). Lower? Higher?

How many would be killed by conventional fighting and nuclear strikes?
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...--Rooks-Gambit
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...ula-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...nia-Sourcebook
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...liate_id=61048
Old 06-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Accidentally edited

My biggest question would be where any DPRK refugees would be able to go. If the ratio of 95/5% Chinese to USSR border was still in place escape or resupply would be very difficult for the North Koreans.

Last edited by kato13; 06-25-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Error in reply/edit.

In the v1.0 timeline (the only one, as far as I'm concerned), the PLA is an ally of the U.S.A., so I don't think NK refugees would be allowed to cross the border. That said, in mid 2007, the Soviets destroy the Northern Chinese Army, implying that the PLA no longer controls the border with the DPRK.

Last edited by kato13; 06-25-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:22 PM
Staff Headquarter Weinie

Default The Friendship Bridge

There is one crossing on the North Korea–Russia border: the Friendship Bridge over the Tumen River, 800 meters southwest of the train station in Khasan, Russia. There is no border crossing for road vehicles or pedestrians.

Any Thoughts

More information on the area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khasan...ype_settlement)
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2017, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Interesting. Thanks, rcaf_777.
Author of Twilight 2000 adventure modules, Rook's Gambit and The Poisoned Chalice, the campaign sourcebook, Korean Peninsula, and co-author of Tara Romaneasca, a campaign sourcebook for Romania, all available for purchase on DriveThruRPG:

Old 06-25-2017, 07:49 PM
Administrator

To clarify, I'm curious as to the die-off during the first year of the 2nd Korean War, roughly from the late Autumn of 1996 to the early Autumn of 1997. During that time, the U.S./ROK/Allied forces made a round trip from the 38th Parallel to the Yalu and back. I imagine that the DPRK regime would order its army to conduct a scorched-earth retreat. The v1.0 US Army Vehicle Guide strongly implies that the Soviets used nuclear weapons on Chinese and U.S. units near the Yalu River, so I take it to mean parts of NK were hit.

It's well known that the DPRK regime funnels the bulk of farm produce and factory production to the KPA. Famine conditions in the DPRK have occurred off-and-on, for years. With a war, scorched earth, and nukes, I imagine that extreme famine conditions would exist.

So, what number or percentage of North Korean civilian deaths during the first year of the war seems reasonable?

Old 06-25-2017, 08:30 PM
The Stat Guy

One interesting little tidbit about 2ID (at least when I was there 1987-90) -- 3rd BDE was a composite brigade. 1st BN was an airborne battalion, 2nd BN was an air assault battalion, and 3rd BN was a light infantry battalion. When it changed, or whether it would change in the v2/2.2 timeline, I don't know. V1 it would still be in that configuration. Most unique brigade configuration I've ever seen.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 06-26-2017, 05:59 PM

One thing to keep in mind, as I recall NK sided with the Soviets against China. I can think of few things that would infuriate China more. In my opinion, more than a few Chinese nukes would fly that way after the war went nuclear on the Chinese front and China would share all pertinent targeting data with the US.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:40 PM

I think the civilian die offs would be massive, particularly on the north side. As mentioned earlier, the status quo prewar is near starvation. Hard to see a disruption leading to anything better. I also expect that the nuke density would be equivalent to Poland or higher per square mile. Seoul gets leveled, either conventionally or by nuke very early on. Most port cities have to be in the same boat.

I think that by 2k, life on the peninsula is pretty grim indeed.

Tags
asia, korea, locations