RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default New toy (well, an old one & and new one really)

ReHerakhte 12-29-2003, 01:23 AM After reading Nathan's (nmdecke) post on his Twilight 1964 setting I was reminded of something that I meant to post here once before but forgot to.

How many of you have heard of the M29 'Davy Crockett' Delivery System? I suspect some of the older members who served in the US military in the '60s & '70s know what I'm referring to but for those of you who want a little added trouble/mayhem/threat level to your games check out the following pages...

http://www.3ad.us/history/cold.war/n...y.crockett.htm

http://www.guntruck.com/DavyCrockett.html

And for those of you who want something a little more up to date, have a look at the following: -

http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2003/G...ons13aug03.htm

Something more to worry about!

Cheers,

Kevin

TR 01-01-2004, 06:06 PM Oh jeez... the Davy Crockett launcher? I wouldn't want to be anywhere close to one of those in that the ranges on those are too close to comfort!

TR

ReHerakhte 01-02-2004, 08:01 PM Yeah, from what I read, the "short" range means the operators are likely to be too close for comfort and that's one of the reasons it was removed from service!

But I figure it makes for and interesting toy for some warlord or New America cell to have and the PC's are asked/hired to take it away from them etc. Even if it turns out they don't have any usable ammo for the Davy Crockett, just the thought of it would probably be a good enough threat to convince a village or town to let the badguys have what they want.

Cheers,

Kevin.

TR 01-02-2004, 08:30 PM Of course you realize if it was fitted with conventional payloads (HE) it wouldn't be too bad a weapon... Something else to contemplate if some PC/NPC group had one, if they could do that they've got a weapon that's not quite a mortar and not quite a recoilless rifle... and something FEW people would recoginize.

graebarde 01-02-2004, 09:33 PM The Davy Crocket was some DAREMF mad scientist invention. Though in theory the yield was ONLY .18 KT at 1.7 miles range... not good, BUT better than a NUCLEAR hand grenade ).. luckly they didn't have to use them, of course they WERE for last ditch efforts to breakup the Red Horde as it poured down teh Fulda Gap.

If you surf that site, the 'Atomic Cannon' is an interesting artillery piece... My older bro was in Germany during the Berlin Crisis era and told some stories of that beast when they moved it.. TWO truck tractors, one in front, one in back and steared like the fired department ladder trucks.. and rumble could be heard and felt for a LONG ways...