RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum

Old 03-27-2018, 08:33 AM
Banned

Default 1999 Atlantic Hurricane Season and the timeline

Some of the canon works mention Hurricanes in them but the real 1999 Atlantic hurricane season was devastating to the Caribbean, Mexico and the US. Just want to get input from people on the board and see what they think.

My question is should only the events from the canon be used for natural weather events or should the real life events be incorporated instead for both those writing for the game and for campaigns? For instance Hurricane Dennis and Floyd devastated North Carolina and Dennis did a lot of damage in the Virginia, PA and Maryland area - to the point that in some cases it might change or influence canon events

and you can imagine what would have happened with no functioning warning network

Similarly Hurricane Lenny hit Grenada, Puerto Rico, the Lesser Antilles and the Virgin Islands leaving a hell of a lot of devastation.

Love to get people's opinions - I would be thinking the same reasoning would apply to things like earthquake events in areas where there werent influences (like for instance nuclear weapon detonations) that might have changed the real world event.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:16 PM

Sure, why not? I've tried hunting up Poland's weather for summer 2000 on the web, with no luck. I've been using Krakow's reporting from 2008 instead-- pretty warm!

I love using weather in my games.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Given many butterflies are dead there should be fewer Hurricanes, right??? butterfly effect.

Seriously though I think using existing weather is very convenient, but realistically so much would be different due to chaos theory.

Last edited by kato13; 03-28-2018 at 02:44 PM. Reason: forgot to use [] instead of <>
Old 03-28-2018, 04:55 PM

The weather would certainly be different, since the nuclear explosions would both add energy to the atmosphere and add dust. A study from the American Geophysical Union in the middle part of this decade looking at a limited nuclear war between Indian and Pakistan calculated that the trough from 100 Hiroshima-scale detonations (about 1.5 megatons total) would be around 1 year after the war, with the temperature dropping about 1.5 degree Celsius and rainfall dropping by about 100mm (4 inches) on an annual basis, and it would take over two decades for those to slowly return to normal. Agriculture would be highly disrupted due to cooler temperatures, lower rainfall (6% globally the first year, declining to 9% in year 5, then slowly recovering until it's just below normal in year 26), reduced sunlight (8% in year 1, improving to 3% in year 10 and normal in year 20), particularly in North America, Europe, and Asia, where the temperature drop would be between 1 and 4 C during the summer, shortening the growing season by 10-40 days. Larger-scale conflicts, such as the Twilight War, would be worse.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

So would the nuclear attacks make the hurricane season of 1999 even worse? Again remember it was one of the worst on record - and it definitely would not have made things fun for the CivGov units in Maryland and the Carolinas

On the other hand that much rain would have filled reservoirs and offset any drought effects for at least 2000 - and could have contributed to forest fire problems in 2001 if the new growth from all that rain then dried out
Old 03-31-2018, 07:53 PM

Hurricanes form over warm ocean water and derive their energy from warm, moist air. During the T2K nuclear winter (or "nuclear fall") you're likely to get less hurricanes, and those that do form are likely to be less energetic.

There are other types of storms though. I'd say what we'd be talking about would be more like autumn-winter low pressure system storms. The combination of severe winds and low temperatures would be pretty brutal in the T2K environment.

Maybe I'm being overly pedantic. Some poor soldier in the middle of nowhere enduring a bad storm won't care much about the details of its formation or the correct meteorological terminology for it I guess.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:48 PM

Back in the late 80s, I tracked the weather in Europe as reported in the Boston Globe and the New York Times for about 2 years - weather in some 10 cities, (high temp, cloud cover/precipitation). I figured anytime I wanted to play, that gave me a realistic weather pattern for Eastern Europe.

Of course, this was way before there was a WWW where you can just look that up.

Uncle Ted
Old 04-02-2018, 10:16 AM

Default Historical Weather in Poland

Admiral Lee - I found a site named TuTiempo.net that gives good historical weather data in Poland (and elsewhere).
Including Kalisz.
Hope that help... Chip
Old 04-03-2018, 08:58 AM

I checked that, and their records only start in 2013. Thanks, though.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:25 PM

Default Kalisz July 2000 weather

Try this link.
https://en.tutiempo.net/climate/07-2000/ws-124350.html
I hope that it’s not against forum rules.
Hope it works.
Chip
Old 04-03-2018, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipHaus View Post
Try this link.
https://en.tutiempo.net/climate/07-2000/ws-124350.html
I hope that it’s not against forum rules.
When forums don't want external links that is due to old google rules about "leaky" sites (sites with more links out than in).

I am high in the google rankings for all the terms I care about and really don't have much competition. Even if I did have competition, I am from the very early days of internet when openly sharing was the norm and worrying about ranking was uncouth.

If a link has a good chance to be useful to one user, post it.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:07 PM

Thanks Kato. First posts , but a long time lurker.
Always enjoyed the site but never had anything useful to post
Old 04-05-2018, 06:13 PM

Shoot, you got the magic touch! Thanks a lot!