RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What would your fate have been in the war?
Survived! 13 39.39%
KIA in conventional fighting pre-exchange 3 9.09%
KIA in tactical nuclear exchange 2 6.06%
KIA in strategic nuclear exchange 6 18.18%
Didn't make it through the civil strife/disease/famine after the strategic exchange 11 33.33%
KIA in conventional fighting post-exchange 2 6.06%
POW 0 0%
Not born yet (for you youngsters!) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-12-2022, 03:35 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

Default Your fate in T2k

A little (lot?) bit morbid, but some folks have been seeing their local areas targeted in the ongoing nuclear exchange in the 25 Years Ago Today thread. Others (like me!) may have been in units that were in action throughout the campaign. So this poll is what your best guess would be of your status in the Twilight War?

Please comment if you'd like to elaborate on your thinking!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 12-12-2022, 03:43 PM
Your Friendly 92Y20!

My response was KIA in either the conventional fighting or tactical nuclear exchange. In 1997 I was IRL in the US 28th Infantry Division, driving a fuel tanker around the division rear as part of a unit that was not very tactically proficient. And canon has the division get pounded by Soviet tactical nuclear weapons during the retreat across Poland. (And in WW II the division, the so-called "Bloody Bucket Division", took 176% casualties in 10 months of action in Western Europe). So I have low expectations that I would have made it back to East Germany...
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...
Old 12-12-2022, 04:48 PM

In '97 I was in college in Denton, TX, but working close to full time in Dallas. Either dead in civil strife or would have evacuated to either New Mexico or a small town 30 miles away from Ponca City, Ok where I have family and the prospects of rural survival are pretty good. But in '97, my income hadn't reached equilibrium with my general gun nuttiness, so aside from some mean words and sharp sticks and a Ruger P89, I would have been marauder bait.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:16 PM

Tentatively "survived". I would have been aged in my 20s and as a former Army Reservist I would have been recalled into service, but I'd had a severe motorcycle accident a few years before and wouldn't have been physically capable of returning to the infantry. Even assuming the petroleum refinery south of Perth was nuked, I'm far enough away that it wouldn't have killed me, but I might have been shipped off by the military to another part of the continent or possibly even overseas by then, I guess in a support role of some sort.
Old 12-12-2022, 09:48 PM

I had planned on getting into the Navy via AOCS and earning NFO Wings in the '90s, and with a continued Cold War, no drawdown and AOCS doesn't close... So, I put "Survived" as I could very well have been in the Middle East with CVW-10 flying A-6s.

Old USMC Adage
Old 12-13-2022, 12:47 AM

Having been a tank commander in the 3rd AD, hopefully I would have survived the drive to the Soviet border and the subsequent withdrawal back to Germany and the redeployment to 'liberate' Southern Germany.

Tags
polls