RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Archive
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13
Default After the War

Ed the Coastie 05-05-2004, 12:56 AM My thread on sailing ships ("Wooden Ships and Iron Men?") got me to wondering...what does the 21st Century hold for a world that has survived the devestation of the Twilight War? I know that the War gets a brief mention in the history of the 2300 AD setting...but I wonder if anyone else has bothered to extrapolate what happens over, say, the next 100 years. What does the world look like in 2025? 2050? 2100?

(It's not exactly an idle question...I'm thinking of working up a campaign using the T2K rules and history but set in 2100, and I could use some inspiration.)

Jason Weiser 05-05-2004, 04:58 PM Well Ed,

We're working on that on Etranger, and a lot of articles have snippets of stuff for one to tie togther something. Frankly, it's wide open. By 2100, the world is well on it's way to recovery, but there are a lot of internal issues up to that time in the shape of Counter insurgency/reunification campaigns. Most of this begins to really take off (and I am quoting Peter' Grining's Rifle article). Nations begin to spend the years between 2040-80 settling matters left over from the Twilight war internally. Our 2nd Civil War, IIRC according to the 2300AD AG, ends in 2031, after starting in earnest in 2025 after the US government reunifies. There are other wars, such as the Saudi War of 2010 and the Russian-Ukranian war of 2065-72.

Anyhow, take a look here:

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~dh...G/PGRifle3.htm

Andy-Shot 05-05-2004, 07:16 PM How long do you think it would take before tanks and sophisticated vehicles became a thing of the past. None of the countries have anything near the production capacity to make any of their tanks, so each one that is destroyed is another one lost forever. After awhile, they would become too importaant to field.

shrike6 05-05-2004, 09:31 PM Accept for France they went through war relatively unscathed. (Nuclear strikes were confined to oil and port facilities.) They might still be able to produce spare parts as well as new equipment.

ReHerakhte 05-06-2004, 04:08 AM In regard to the recovery of the world, I wondered on this a few times when reading the 2300AD books, particularly as Australia become a significant power in the world of 2300. I was quite taken with GDW's view of an entire history from theTwilight War to 2300AD to Traveller.

A few (hundred) threads back there was a similar "recovery of the world" discussion and I had said then that Australia was probably quite well suited to rebuild rapidly due to the lack of infrastructure damage, the spread out nature of the population and the vast amount of primary resources available. In regard to building vehicles, we have a good automobile industry and a decent shipbuilding and armoured vehicle building base. We used to produce aircraft and probably could do soagain with reasonable notice. There's a strong engineering and science base in place in the education system.

I (like to) think that Australia would become a stabilizing influence in the region after it sorts itself out and would then be able to offer assistance to all its pre-war allies. If nothing else, equipment for the manufacture of vehicles etc. could be made here and then shipped to the USA or UK etc.

True be told I haven't thought a lot about it but this is kinda where I ended up.

Cheers,

Kevin

Abbott Shaull 05-06-2004, 06:00 PM I myself think that the speed of recovery would have to depend on two things.

1. The MilGov and CivGov need to kiss and make up to bring any type of real progress. Otherwise everytime there is election a area or region could swing one way or the other.

2. Who ever will have to secure the Great Lakes, Mississippi, Ohio, and Missiouri River basins for nothing else to help move good and service when they start the rebuilding. Large portion of the Natural Resources and new industrial goods would use these water ways move to customers. Once these place have been started to be re-civilized. It will be a matter of time before it spreads to the East and West Coast...

Never got into 2300 so I am not familiar with that time-line. So I will not hazard a guess on how long it would take...

Abbott

evilmike 05-07-2004, 04:13 AM Just as a nitpick, ReH, the 2300AD universe and the Travellerverse were completely separate from each other.

The confusion came from the ORIGINAL title to 2300AD, which was Traveller:2300 IIRC.

When time came for a second edition, they changed the name to avoid any confusion with the Travellerverse.

IIRC, by 2300AD in the Travellerverse, Earth (aka the Terran Confederation) was busy conquering the Vilani Imperium.....

ReHerakhte 05-07-2004, 04:58 AM Ahh, I never actually got anything from Traveller but had a few things from 2300AD and exactly as you have pointed out, because 2300 was called Traveller:2300 at one stage (I have what I presume is the first edition box set and everything is labelled with that title), I assumed it was all interconnected.

Thanks for the info evilmike... see, ya ain't evil all the time

Cheers,

Kevin

evilmike 05-07-2004, 09:19 PM How dare you question my evilness!!!!

*forces ReH to watch the DnD movie, Battlefield :Earth, AND Pooty Tang.....*

*BACKWARDS!!!*

Harrumph.

ReHerakhte 05-07-2004, 09:45 PM HOLY COW!

Talk about massive retaliation...

You know, I have never seen the DnD movie or Battlefield: Earth and I don't have the faintest idea what Pooty Tang is, however, I know people who have seen the DnD movie and others who have seen Battlefield: Earth.

Just ONE of these movies would have sufficed...

I bow in submission, you REALLY are evil

Cheers,

Kevin

pmulcahy 05-07-2004, 09:50 PM I actually thought Pooty Tang was pretty funny...