RPG Forums

Go Back   RPG Forums > Role Playing Game Section > Twilight 2000 Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2010, 10:31 PM

Default Creative License

The thread on USAF and USN units makes me think that we need to draw a distinction between trying to nail down general patterns in Twilight: 2000 and specific instances. What I should have said in my early replies to the speculation on the fates of USAF personnel is that in general we should expect to see the excess personnel reassigned to Army units for the reason others and I have given. However, this is not to say that in any particular locale the general rule holds true. I’ve violated the rule myself. In Silver Shogunate, the airmen at Nellis AFB form an ad hoc light motorized force. Granted, this group moves to Sacramento and is incorporated into Sixth US Army, but thus far there is nothing to say that the senior Army leadership in California doesn’t decide that the so-called Nellis Group should be kept intact and used for security missions in the Bay Area and the Central Valley. Of course, they could simply be broken up and used as individual reinforcements, too.

My point is that statements of general patterns are not meant to stifle anyone’s creativity. Conversely, we as creative writers should not feel the need to create an overarching rule in order to have our fun with a particular scenario. My work is an example of creating an exception to the overall pattern for the sake of telling a good story. The US Coast Guard is supposed to be almost completely absorbed into the US Navy structure in 2000; yet, I have written a scenario in which a substantial enclave of the USCG controls a portion of New England—in violation of canon, no less. Some of the other possibilities mentioned in the USAF and USN thread, such as a USAF SF squadron (or wing) with gun trucks acting as it own combat element or a naval infantry battalion, would make for very interesting reading. I continue to maintain that there is little overall logic to maintaining separate USAF and/or USN formations doing the job of the Army/Marines infantry or MPs while incorporating civilian replacements and foreign troops into the Army. Nevertheless, circumstances in a particular location can develop their own logic. The Joint Chiefs or theater commanders don’t have to give a local solution their premeditated blessing for circumstances to result in a naval infantry battalion.

Webstral

Last edited by Webstral; 03-16-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to kato13

All very good points. Everything posted here should encourage creativity and never stifle it.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:57 AM

Default hear hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
All very good points. Everything posted here should encourage creativity and never stifle it.
I do admire the canonites for all their hard research and thouroughness - the game is certainly more interesting for it .

Taking your own approach can give interesting settings as well .

Us squareheads being non-canon heretics but we have a researched backdrop with a rationale for the events taking place.

To quote chairman Mao - "let a thousand flowers blossom"

This of course was a ruse to lure out the non believers abnd have them sent to reeducation camps
Old 03-16-2010, 02:11 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by headquarters View Post
This of course was a ruse to lure out the non believers abnd have them sent to reeducation camps
Hmmm...a T2K re-education camp...wonder what that would be like...would it be run by former GDW employees...Loren may have to buckle his swash...or was that Frank...

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 AM

You know, I'd love to hear some feedback on the material we've generated from the Twilight: 2000 creators.

Webstral
Old 03-16-2010, 02:42 AM
The Stat Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post
You know, I'd love to hear some feedback on the material we've generated from the Twilight: 2000 creators.

Webstral
So would I! We haven't heard from them in close to a decade, but Frank Frey and Loren Wiseman both used to post to the boards that were there back then.

Entirely too much T2K stuff here: www.pmulcahy.com
Old 03-16-2010, 03:05 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webstral View Post

Webstral
As would I. I think when I first contacted them this forum had not achieved critical mass (Rpghost had just died). I will try again soon now that we seem to have enough material to merit a second look.

As far as comments, Frank Frey did post some pretty positive remarks about some of the work he saw in this thread
Revised CentCom OOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Frey
Law: Excellent material. AFAIC, this replaces the original USMC OOB in the RDF Sourcebook.

Fusilier: What a great OOB! Just like Law's work AFAIC this replaces the British OOB in the Sourcebook.
From the looks of the above it seems that perhaps Mr Frey felt canon was "flexible". Unfortunately I don't have much more in the way of his posts except for this
the lions of Africa
Old 03-16-2010, 05:40 AM
...not exactly open casket material

Send a message via MSN to General Pain
Thumbs up Excellent Idea.

to get the old old oldschool T2K designers in the forum ......

I'd so like to say how much their games have meant for me.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:45 AM

I can contact Frank Frey on Facebook?

UPDATE:
Sent a message to Frank inviting him here with a link on FB.

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).

Last edited by Jason Weiser; 03-16-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser View Post
Sent a message to Frank inviting him here with a link on FB.
Cool. Well they say FB is for getting in contact with old friends.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 AM

Oh! ... We must practice...We're not worthy...we're not worthy...we're not worthy...
Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Oh! ... We must practice...We're not worthy...we're not worthy...we're not worthy...
(credit to General Pain)
Old 03-16-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato13 View Post
(credit to General Pain)
Well, the man says he will check it out...so let the grovel and scrape commence!

"Red Star, Burning Streets" by Cavalier Books, 2020

https://epochxp.tumblr.com/ - EpochXperience - Contributing Blogger since October 2020. (A Division of SJR Consulting).
Old 03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser View Post
Well, the man says he will check it out...so let the grovel and scrape commence!
Ok everyone, keep your sections of the forum clean, and be on your best behavior as we have guests coming. This is going to force me to update the thread map over the next few days (a good thing to do, but very time consuming)
Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM
Activist Rules Lawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b View Post
Hmmm...a T2K re-education camp...wonder what that would be like...would it be run by former GDW employees...Loren may have to buckle his swash...or was that Frank...
LOL,

I think it was Frank? dang, can't remember it was such a long time ago. About the same time that someone thought that Loren was female.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiedowndonovan View Post
...someone thought that Loren was female.
I named my daughter Loren... (she is my first born)

But I knew at the time Mr Wiseman was a man.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem